Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-08-2016, 8:02 AM

Thanks for all the info.

It's a shame we can't get Trump into the White House, or even more effective, a Pro-gun advocate as Governor.
Old 07-11-2016, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
A brand new 686 or Python may be on the roster but the classics of the last 40 years most certainly are not. The SA conversion process is used to import these classic wheelguns into this terrible state, controlled by our liberal democrat, tyrannical masters.
Thanks for the response CDH. But what is the difference between a newly manufactured Python of 686 vs. one made 30 years ago? Both are DA/SA, no?
Old 07-12-2016, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoeshooter View Post
Thanks for the response CDH. But what is the difference between a newly manufactured Python of 686 vs. one made 30 years ago? Both are DA/SA, no?
I can't speak for a newly manufactured Python as Ive not seen one but a S&W no dash 686 compared to a current production, worlds apart. The old 686 is silky smooth out of the box, beautiful trigger, no lock - sorry the lock and LCI on california guns are a pet peeve of mine. The old 686 was still hand assembled and high quality QC, no MIM parts. I have a couple of the old 586/686 no dash wheel guns, they aren't going anywhere ever.
Old 07-13-2016, 6:41 AM

The Python hasn't been in production for more than a decade.

And I wouldn't say new and old S&Ws are "worlds apart." Most people wouldn't know the difference between them, save for the obvious lock.
Old 07-13-2016, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
The Python hasn't been in production for more than a decade.

And I wouldn't say new and old S&Ws are "worlds apart." Most people wouldn't know the difference between them, save for the obvious lock.

Difference of opinion, I think most people if they dry fired the two side by side would feel & know the difference. Definitely very noticeable to me.

Sent from an undisclosed secure location
Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Default SAE FFL in Fresno?

My LGS says the SAE went out the window with the SSE, so he is out. I really would like to pick up a few S&W Model 10s from JGSales due to the great price for a good quality gun. If the Single Action Exemption is still in play will somebody recommend a Local FFL in Fresno to get this done at?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FFords View Post
My LGS says the SAE went out the window with the SSE, so he is out. I really would like to pick up a few S&W Model 10s from JGSales due to the great price for a good quality gun. If the Single Action Exemption is still in play will somebody recommend a Local FFL in Fresno to get this done at?

To the best of my knowledge, your FFL is wrong. SAE is still in play. I don't know any FFLs in Fresno that will do it for you but my FFL in San Jose will do it. PM me if you want his contact info.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 04-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
He is wrong, SAE is good to go.
Old 04-13-2017, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Who is your FFL?
I am not sure who does them just wondering who told you no.
Old 04-13-2017, 8:01 PM

Thanks for the replay on an old thread. I'll start looking around town for a shop that will entertain my ideas.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Super helpful.
Old 05-05-2017, 2:06 PM

Hi everyone new new here. Looking into purchasing my first handgun and asked about SAE this morning at a gun shop in fresno and was told it stopped a couple years ago. Even gave me A look like I should not have asked about it. So for sure SAE still going? Thanks!
Old 05-05-2017, 9:22 PM

SAE (single-action (revolver) exempt) is still going. however, many gunshops do not even know that SAE exists. if you mention where you are located, you may get some suggestions about recommended gunshops that are familiar with SAE and get you hooked up.

SSE (single-shot exempt) was stopped a few years ago. and even that is technically SSEv1 (semi-auto pistols converted to single-shot) was stopped. there is still a limited SSEv2 that is still valid, but less known.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-07-2017, 8:36 AM

Any suggestions for a shop(s) around the 94549 (SF East Bay) area that does SAE's?
Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

We convert them and ship them to many FFLs
Old 05-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPL View Post
Hi everyone new new here. Looking into purchasing my first handgun and asked about SAE this morning at a gun shop in fresno and was told it stopped a couple years ago. Even gave me A look like I should not have asked about it. So for sure SAE still going? Thanks!
a lot of shops think you are talking about Single Shot Exemption (SSE) which is gone. I have had this happen. Single Action Exemption (SAE) is still valid.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

With the changes in picture hosting, it would be great if the OP could repost the pics.
Old 03-04-2018, 2:32 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
With the changes in picture hosting, it would be great if the OP could repost the pics.
I'm not the OP but recently converted one from out of state and snapped some pics (actually took pics after the transfer was complete so I was converting from single action back to double however all the same). As OP states it is HIGHLY recommended you have a single action hammer assembly ready to deploy when converting. Don't want to mess with punching out the double action sear. Much easier to simply drop the pre-altered hammer assembly in the revolver. As ColdDeadHands1 notes below it is not required to have the 2nd hammer assembly in the ready however it certainly is a convenience (especially for me as I'm not mechanically inclined however many CalGunners are).

OK...here are some pics.

Picture of Factory N Frame hammer (with double action sear) next to Hammer that has the double action sear removed. Green Arrow shows the double action sear.

This is from a 625-6 that I recently converted at a local FFL

Remove grips and unscrew 4 screws as OP recommends (I only do screws 1, 2, and 3 here. I remove the 4th screw later. The first three hold the side plate. The 4th holds the leaf spring. Please make note of which screws come out of which holes as they are all different.

Now remove the side plate. See OPs notes on this from his original post. Tap the frame as noted with rubber gunsmith hammer or rubber screw driver.

Once side plate is removed it should look like this.

Remove transfer bar safety and remove the 4th screw which will relieve the leaf spring (see prior pic for leaf spring).

Now the double action Hammer Assembly can be removed and replaced with the sear less Hammer (single action). Just drop it in.

Then reverse steps to put revolver back together. Start with the leaf spring and screw #4, put the transfer safety bar back in carefully so it will align with the side plate. Tap the side plate back on with your rubber tool. Affix your screws 1-3 and you are done. Finished product below...

Let me know how this works for folks!

Bonus..added a MIM conversion...again I drop in a single action ready hammer assembly to make it quick and risk/error free but that's me.

Hammer Assembly: Double Action MIM vs Single Action MIM

Recent 625 Conversion (MIM) complete

Last edited by scroman; 12-18-2018 at 1:35 PM.. Reason: added MIM hammer pics
Old 03-04-2018, 2:40 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Nice pictures!
Old 03-04-2018, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

Great pics and tutorial!!! I've done this several times and never had a challenge pushing out the double action sear pin. It would be a convenience to have another hammer assembly but not a necessity.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 03-19-2018, 3:35 PM

The people who cry for "common sense gun laws" don't actually require those laws to make sense.
Old 05-08-2018, 3:51 PM

So is there still a Single action exemption for revolvers like a Ruger Bisley? I have been looking at an out of state one, new and not listed in the DOJ site.
Old 05-08-2018, 5:03 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite49 View Post
So is there still a Single action exemption for revolvers like a Ruger Bisley? I have been looking at an out of state one, new and not listed in the DOJ site.

The law says that a single action revolver that holds 5 or more rounds with a barrel of over 3 inches and an overall length of 7.5 inches is roster exempt. Best to review on the DOJ website to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 7:28 AM

Great post, thanks for the info!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up Gunophile

Shooting 4life - you are truly a gunophile.

Thanks for your detailed steps - much appreciated .
Old 07-19-2018, 3:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite49 View Post
Every once in a while someone will ask a gun store to order a SA revolver, western style type, and the store owner will respond "they're not on the list" and decline to order. The best response to this is usually is to point to the row of Ruger SA revolvers in his showcase and ask "find those on the list". Nicely of course.
Old 07-19-2018, 3:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroman View Post
I'm not the OP but recently converted one from out of state and snapped some pics (actually took pics after the transfer was complete so I was converting from single action back to double however all the same). As OP states it is HIGHLY recommended you have a single action hammer assembly ready to deploy when converting. Don't want to mess with punching out the double action sear. Much easier to simply drop the pre-altered hammer assembly in the revolver. As ColdDeadHands1 notes below it is not required to have the 2nd hammer assembly in the ready however it certainly is a convenience (especially for me as I'm not mechanically inclined however many CalGunners are).

OK...here are some pics.

Picture of Factory N Frame hammer (with double action sear) next to Hammer that has the double action sear removed. Green Arrow shows the double action sear.

Remove grips and unscrew 4 screws as OP recommends (I only do screws 1, 2, and 3 here. I remove the 4th screw later. The first three hold the side plate. The 4th holds the leaf spring. Please make note of which screws come out of which holes as they are all different.

Now remove the side plate. See OPs notes on this from his original post. Tap the frame as noted with rubber gunsmith hammer or rubber screw driver.

Remove transfer bar safety and remove the 4th screw which will relieve the leaf spring (see prior pic for leaf spring).

Now the double action Hammer Assembly can be removed and replaced with the sear less Hammer (single action). Just drop it in.

Then reverse steps to put revolver back together. Start with the leaf spring and screw #4, put the transfer safety bar back in carefully so it will align with the side plate. Tap the side plate back on with your rubber tool. Affix your screws 1-3 and you are done. Finished product below...

Let me know how this works for folks!
I removed some photos to save space.

Although the above represents the "non-MIM" internals of Smiths most folks like to get in to CA, I suppose there are some MIM Smiths that are desirable too. There are slight differences, one helpful and the other a bit of a challenge.

The DA sear on newer MIM Smiths (using frame mounted firing pin) uses what I would call a geometric fit. It's not pinned and can be wiggled out easily. Just be careful to not lose the spring. I doubt there's any fitting of the DA sear to a specific revolver, so if it's lost another one should just drop in.

Although fiddling with it shouldn't be part of the DA to SA conversion, the hand spring in newer MIM revolvers is much different than the machined internals' version. It's not captured on the trigger, it doesn't stay in place if you remove the hand from the trigger. When I did my first MIM revolver I casually removed the hand and heard that God-awful "sproing" as it flew off to parts unknown. I found it, and thought that was a good thing, until I tried to refit the damn thing. It took a few hours of poking, bending, pushing, swearing and a tear or two before that "silly-straw" styled spring found its way back in to the trigger.

There are s few other changes that make viewing a YouTube on the MIM types worthwhile.

Last edited by dfletcher; 07-19-2018 at 3:28 PM..
Old 10-13-2018, 8:39 PM

Bookmarked thanks for the info!
Old 12-27-2018, 3:51 PM
Nutty with a hint of JP-8
CGN Contributor

I'm in the process of attempting to acquire a Ruger Super Redhawk 8-shot .357. Does anyone know of a FFL in the East Bay area (preferably close to Fairfield) that would be knowledgeable with the process?
Old 12-27-2018, 4:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingnut View Post
I'm in the process of attempting to acquire a Ruger Super Redhawk 8-shot .357. Does anyone know of a FFL in the East Bay area (preferably close to Fairfield) that would be knowledgeable with the process?
The 5051, 5059 and 5060 are all on the roster and CA legal. Just go to your local FFL and have them order one for you. Or you can go to https://www.galleryofguns.com/default.aspx order one and have it sent to one of the local area FFLs that they deal with on their sight.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Last edited by TRICKSTER; 12-27-2018 at 4:09 PM..
Old 12-27-2018, 4:18 PM
CGN Contributor

Why didn't I check the roster first?
The 5060 is what I'm after. I assumed it wasn't on the roster. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2018, 4:19 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingnut View Post
That is not a Super Redhawk, it is just a Redhawk. The three 8-shot models they make are all on the roster.

Not sure what you are asking here...

Old 12-28-2018, 7:11 PM
CGN Contributor

Yep, thanks for the correction. It's the 8-shot Redhawk 5060, which is on the roster, thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernher von Browning View Post
I just checked. Change is all I've got left, they took all the folding money.
Quote:
A people whose only powers, liberties & remedies are those strictly defined by the State is not a free people at all.
Old 09-28-2019, 9:13 PM

Has any one tried this on a rimfire Colt or Smith? I'm sure the process would be the same.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:02 AM

The Taurus 692 has a 3" barrel and a 8.14" OAL, does this qualify or does it need to be OVER 3 inches? https://www.smga.com/taurus/taurus-6...on-clips-10898

Thanks
Old 06-05-2020, 7:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

the law states barrel "not less than 3 inches", so exactly 3 inches meets that criteria.
Old 06-05-2020, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Guns View Post
the law states barrel "not less than 3 inches", so exactly 3 inches meets that criteria.
That's what I thought, the OP wrote "The law says that single action revolver that holds 5 or more rounds with a barrel of over 3 inches and an overall length of 7.5 inches is roster exempt."

Which is why I was confused. It's >3" that disqualifies. thanks
Old 06-05-2020, 3:24 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antagony View Post
It's <3" that disqualifies.
That's what she said.

(Sorry...long day so far...had to.)
Old 07-29-2020, 4:04 PM

Does the SAE apply to new guns purchased from a dealer out of state? Can I buy a gun of GB, have it shipped to my FFL and have the SAE done before I start DROS?
Old 07-29-2020, 4:07 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Does the SAE apply to new guns purchased from a dealer out of state? Can I buy a gun of GB, have it shipped to my FFL and have the SAE done before I start DROS?
Yes, but you must arrange the SAE being done with your (receiving) FFL. For mine, he allows me to sit at his desk and do the work before he starts DROS. Since I do the work, he doesn't charge anything extra.

Other FFLs that understand SAE may do the work for you, and charge you for it. So it's in your best interest to find out their policy.