Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-22-2012, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

When you call him tell him Jordan sent you.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
I used Rob for my SA exemption transfer. See post #69 above. Couldn't have been easier and his fees were surprisingly inexpensive.

Don't email him, give him a call: (408) 946-5287
Thanks much for the phone#. You got yourself a beautiful set of a revolver there. Many out of state sites I've been visiting/looking for something I want but most of them will not ship to CA, what's the deal with that?

Anyway, I'll give Rob a call tomorrow for some pointer on how this works since I am fairly new to this.

@Shooting4life: I'll make sure to mention "Jordan sent me". thx.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Out of State dealers must complete the CFLC process to ship into CA. Many of them say "F" that and don't bother with CA sales. Private parties only say "no CA sales" out of ignorance, because it is the cool thing to say on Gunbroker.

I bought that Dan Wesson from a private party, didn't say anything about being in CA, and won the auction. At that point, I promptly paid him with a money order and sent along a copy of Rob's FFL license. Only then did the seller find out I was in CA. I suspect that he had my money in hand via a very smooth and quick transaction and didn't comment on the CA issue.

My $.02 at least...

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 07-23-2012, 4:38 PM

I just wanted to thank the OP for this thread. It gave me the courage to open up my S&W for the first time, to see how it works. I eventually was able to use the knowledge to purchse a beautiful (to me!) lightly used Model 66-1 from an out-of-state FFL:

With a little bit of cleaning up, and a lighter set of wolf springs, she's increadibly smooth (on par with my Python) and increadibly accurate. Thanks again shooting4life!

Incidentally, if anyone is looking for a good LGS in the Sacramento area who'll allow this, look up Toro Arms in Woodland. Ed's the owner - super friendly and familiar with this process.

Last edited by apurvab; 07-23-2012 at 4:41 PM..
Old 08-02-2012, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
I recently completed the SA conversion process in order to legally purchase and DROS a beautiful old Dan Wesson revolver off of Gunbroker. I used Rob Blank's FFL service in Milpitas. The process could not have gone any smoother. Rob is a great guy and his DROS services are incredibly reasonably priced. I highly recommend him. Anyway, thanks to this thread this beauty is now all mine!

Wow, great news. I was hoping to find a back door way to get a stainless .44 DW in here.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM

Default My only experience in this area, has been.....

.....Back in 2008, my mom moved to Oklahoma, and moved into a "cottage" at my sister/husband's acreage. She gave me back the revolver I had loaned to her, back in 1982, for her home protection weapon.
Since it was Oklahoma, where she moved, and most everyone there seems to be armed, my brother in law went to his local gun store, and purchased an XD45, of a model number, that is not a California Rostered XD. No worries, she was not planning to move back to California. So, no issues, there.
In late 2010, she took gravely ill, and on my last visit there, before her death, she said she wanted to gift me that XD, since my brother in law already had two of them.
Knowing there was a roster, and that some very similar guns would be on and some off, that roster, I immediately went on the CA DOJ website, to look it up, and it definitely was NOT a rostered handgun. So, I called the CA DOJ's Firearms Division, to ask if I could lawfully bring it back to California with me.
They pointed me to THIS FORM and told me to fill out the form, stating the facts, that it was gifted from a parent, to adult child, and send in the application, with the $19.00 processing fee. Once they received the form/fee, I could bring it into the state, and would soon receive a letter of confirmation. This was EXACTLY what happened. No issues, even though it was an off roster XD. Later, I had an opportunity to trade that XD, to a friend, for the return of my new, unfired, 1987 vintage Delta Elite, which I had sold to him, in 1990. We did the DROS transfer process, and there was again, no issue.
A friend has also done so, twice, with gifts from his father in Dallas, TX. Once on a Beretta 85, and second on a Taurus PT 738. To my understanding both are off roster models, but at the very least, the Taurus is off roster.
So, to the best of my understanding, the best way to bring one into California, would be to have it gifted to you, by your parent, living out of state, otherwise, your choices seem limited to what has already been discussed here.
When the last dutiful & humble petition from Congress received no other answer than declaring us rebels, and out of the King’s protection, I from that moment looked forward to a revolution & independence, as the only means of salvation; and will risque the last penny of my fortune, & the last drop of my blood upon the issue.
George Mason,
2 October 1778
Old 10-16-2012, 3:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
I just posted this in the thread, "How To Import Off Roster S&W to California!! Instructions". It was how CA DOJ walked me through doing this, so I must presume it is lawful, and since the transfers went through, in the DOJ system, I must figure it IS lawful, but I'd like your opinion, on this scenario.

Back in 2008, my mom moved to Oklahoma (from California), and moved into a "cottage" at my sister/husband's acreage. She gave me back the revolver I had loaned to her, back in 1982, for her home protection weapon. (Prior to her move to OK)
Since it was Oklahoma, to where she moved, and most everyone there seems to be armed, my brother in law went to his local gun store, and purchased an XD45, of a model number, that is not a California Rostered XD, as a gift for her. No worries, she was not planning to move back to California. So, no issues, there.
In late 2010, she took gravely ill, and on my last visit there, before her death, she said she wanted to gift me that XD, since my brother in law already had two of them.
Knowing there was a roster, and that some very similar guns would be on and some off, that roster, I immediately went on the CA DOJ website, to look it up, and it definitely was NOT a rostered handgun. So, I called the CA DOJ's Firearms Division, to ask if I could lawfully bring it back to California with me.
They pointed me to THIS FORM and told me to fill out the form, stating the facts, that it was gifted from a parent, to adult child, and send in the application, with the $19.00 processing fee. Once they received the form/fee, I could bring it into the state, and would soon receive a letter of confirmation. This was EXACTLY what happened. No issues, even though it was an off roster XD. Later, I had an opportunity to trade that XD, to a friend, for the return of my new, unfired, 1987 vintage Delta Elite, which I had sold to him, in 1990. We did the DROS transfer process, and there was again, no issue.

As I understand it, this method, without the 10 day waiting period, is ONLY available on a transfer, between an adult child and their parent. Otherwise, even a transfer between siblings, must be done through a dealer, with the mandatory 10 day waiting period.

Librarian, I trust your wealth of knowledge, as much, or more, than the DOJ, because you have demonstrated that you actually DO your research, and often, even the DOJ, doesn't really do their homework, right, the first time around. I have tried to research it, and it seems to be correct, but you may be familiar with some specific provision, of California's convoluted codes, that might negate what DOJ told me, and I have looked up, which seems to be true.
Thanks
Where to start?

First off: All firearms transfers between residents of different states must be done by a FFL in the state of the new owner.

This is Federal Law and there is only one exemption to this law for non-licensees. And that is the Inheritance exemption.

Both Federal law and California law exempt the use of an FFL for all Inheritance of firearms.

So that means if Someone; does NOT have to be Grand Parent/Parent/Child, leaves you a firearm you are free to travel any where in the country get it and bring it home with you. You may also have it shipped right to your front door if you want to.

In California you must still register any handguns you Inherit by filling out the Operation of Law; OpLaw for short, form. The form you linked to is not the proper form for this transaction.

So, keep in mind that things worked out for you but the DOJ did give you some wrong and bad information.

Quote:
As I understand it, this method, without the 10 day waiting period, is ONLY available on a transfer, between an adult child and their parent. Otherwise, even a transfer between siblings, must be done through a dealer, with the mandatory 10 day waiting period.
You may also use the OpLaw form for gifts from your Grand Parent/Parent/Child so long as they are residents of California. If they live in a different state you CAN NOT go and get it OR have it shipped to you and fill out this form. That is a direct violation of Federal Law and will land you in a Federal Pen for up to 5 years.

All gifts of handguns from a Grand Parent/Parent/Child are exempt from California's Roster rules. If you have a Grand Parent/Parent/Child that lives in a different state they my gift you an Off Roster handgun by sending it to your favorite LGS with a note saying: I Grand Parent/Parent/Child do here by give this fine XYZ serial # ABC123456 to my Grand Parent/Parent/Child. The LGS can now complete the Roster Exempt Transfer to you and process the DROS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Where to start?

First off: All firearms transfers between residents of different states must be done by a FFL in the state of the new owner.

This is Federal Law and there is only one exemption to this law for non-licensees. And that is the Inheritance exemption.

Both Federal law and California law exempt the use of an FFL for all Inheritance of firearms.

So that means if Someone; does NOT have to be Grand Parent/Parent/Child, leaves you a firearm you are free to travel any where in the country get it and bring it home with you. You may also have it shipped right to your front door if you want to.

In California you must still register any handguns you Inherit by filling out the Operation of Law; OpLaw for short, form. The form you linked to is not the proper form for this transaction.

So, keep in mind that things worked out for you but the DOJ did give you some wrong and bad information.

You may also use the OpLaw form for gifts from your Grand Parent/Parent/Child so long as they are residents of California. If they live in a different state you CAN NOT go and get it OR have it shipped to you and fill out this form. That is a direct violation of Federal Law and will land you in a Federal Pen for up to 5 years.

All gifts of handguns from a Grand Parent/Parent/Child are exempt from California's Roster rules. If you have a Grand Parent/Parent/Child that lives in a different state they my gift you an Off Roster handgun by sending it to your favorite LGS with a note saying: I Grand Parent/Parent/Child do here by give this fine XYZ serial # ABC123456 to my Grand Parent/Parent/Child. The LGS can now complete the Roster Exempt Transfer to you and process the DROS.
I just came back, to post that you had corrected me in the other thread. I am happy to see that it is already done. I do not want to be responsible for putting out bad information.
And, that was bad information.
When the last dutiful & humble petition from Congress received no other answer than declaring us rebels, and out of the King’s protection, I from that moment looked forward to a revolution & independence, as the only means of salvation; and will risque the last penny of my fortune, & the last drop of my blood upon the issue.
George Mason,
2 October 1778
Old 10-17-2012, 5:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
I just came back, to post that you had corrected me in the other thread. I am happy to see that it is already done. I do not want to be responsible for putting out bad information.
And, that was bad information.
No problem. Most of us are here to help everyone get a better understanding of CA laws and shooting sports.

Quote:

Old 10-17-2012, 5:07 PM

So, I really, really want a Taurus 608 which is currently off roster.

Being that Taurus's are generally copies of S&W's I'm wondering if this procedure would work to convert the 608 into a SA?

Does anyone have any practical experience with disassembly/assembly of Taurus revolvers?
Old 10-17-2012, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble phish View Post

Being that Taurus's are generally copies of S&W's I'm wondering if this procedure would work to convert the 608 into a SA?

Does anyone have any practical experience with disassembly/assembly of Taurus revolvers?
If nobody has answers for you, you may want to try Youtube.

Old 11-17-2012, 8:14 AM

(All gifts of handguns from a Grand Parent/Parent/Child are exempt from California's Roster rules. If you have a Grand Parent/Parent/Child that lives in a different state they my gift you an Off Roster handgun by sending it to your favorite LGS with a note saying: I Grand Parent/Parent/Child do here by give this fine XYZ serial # ABC123456 to my Grand Parent/Parent/Child. The LGS can now complete the Roster Exempt Transfer to you and process the DROS.)

So do i get this right that if my mom or dad that live in South Dakota get ahold or have a handgun that is not on the CA Roster they can legally ship it to me via LGS with a note they gift it to me and i can DROS it???
Old 11-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironram View Post
(All gifts of handguns from a Grand Parent/Parent/Child are exempt from California's Roster rules. If you have a Grand Parent/Parent/Child that lives in a different state they my gift you an Off Roster handgun by sending it to your favorite LGS with a note saying: I Grand Parent/Parent/Child do here by give this fine XYZ serial # ABC123456 to my Grand Parent/Parent/Child. The LGS can now complete the Roster Exempt Transfer to you and process the DROS.)

So do i get this right that if my mom or dad that live in South Dakota get ahold or have a handgun that is not on the CA Roster they can legally ship it to me via LGS with a note they gift it to me and i can DROS it???
That is correct.

You should however first talk to your LGS. Not all of them understand that ALL gifts from your parents are roster exempt, even if they live in a different state.

You should also make sure that your LGS will take a shipment from a non-FFL, again not all of them will.

Lastly keep in mind that this would still be considered an interstate transfer and your LGS can and will charge what ever they like.

So, shop around for one that understands the law, will take shipment from a non-FFL and who'll do it for the best price.

Quote:

Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 AM

Could they just ship from a ffl there to ffl here?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironram View Post
Could they just ship from a ffl there to ffl here?
Yes.

But, that might cost your parents a little more money.

If your parents go in to a LGS by them and has them ship it they will probably have to pay that LGS a fee for this service.

Though a FFL can use the USPS and mail a handgun while your parent can't. They need to use a common carrier which could cost a lot of money. So, it might be cheaper to pay the FFL's fee if they mail it and it is less.

I guess they will just need to do the math and see which way is better.

One thing they can do to help keep the shipping cost down is if it's a semi auto pistol they could take it a part and mail the parts and use the common carrier to just ship the frame.

Again though I would make sure your LGS is OK with this.

Quote:

Old 11-17-2012, 3:01 PM

Good deal thank you much for the info.
Old 12-12-2012, 1:09 PM

I am glad I am exempt from CA law . . . I live in NC. LOL

I joined after looking to purchase a handgun from a member and stayed to get a perspective of issues and problems you guys face with gun ownership in CA. The Roster thing is ridiculious. How can a DA revolver be more of an issue than a 10 rd semi auto??? I bet 90% of your law makers have never picked up a beautiful Colt, Smith or Dan Wesson revolver.
Old 12-12-2012, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrifle3 View Post
I am glad I am exempt from CA law . . . I live in NC. LOL

I joined after looking to purchase a handgun from a member and stayed to get a perspective of issues and problems you guys face with gun ownership in CA. The Roster thing is ridiculious. How can a DA revolver be more of an issue than a 10 rd semi auto??? I bet 90% of your law makers have never picked up a beautiful Colt, Smith or Dan Wesson revolver.
Its a cultural thing. I grew up in Chicago, a place very much cut from the same political cloth. To those California lawmakers, there is no such thing as a classic well made gun. All firearms enable people to kill, so according to that dogma all firearms evil tools which should be controlled , confiscated, and if scientifically achievable un-invented.

The CA roster is merely a legal dodge to achieve a handgun ban without actually passing one.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 02-28-2013, 2:07 PM

Default Can someone tell me if a FFL dealer in Ca. will do the conversion for you?

I would like to know if the FFL dealer in Milpitas (Rob Bank) will do the conversion for you before the paper work, then turn it back to a double action revolver? And can it be shipped from out of state as is, or must it be single action before shipping to Calif?

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-28-2013, 5:29 PM
Jedi Master
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

06hummer: if I can do it anyone can...really. Like Jordan says a little practice goes a long way. I usually get it done in under 5 minutes however last time I was in Robs shop it took me almost 10 (I had an audience and had performance anxiety). Tee hee. I felt shame.

I almost always have them shipped to Rob in DA form (as is) and then convert prior to paperwork. It spends 10 days as a SA revolver and then I convert back to DA when I get her home.

Last edited by scroman; 02-28-2013 at 5:32 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

It is also much easier if you get a replacement hammer, then it just drops in and you pout the side plate on.
Old 04-03-2013, 6:47 PM

Are there any FFL's in Southern California that will allow a person to come into their shop and do a single action conversion?
Thanks,
OG

Last edited by oso grande; 04-04-2013 at 9:16 AM..
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso grande View Post
Are there any FFL's in Southern California that will allow a person to come into their shop and do a single action conversion?
Thanks,
OG
Shame to have this great "how to" go to waste because so few ffl's will allow you to take advantage of it.
Old 04-13-2013, 4:54 AM

May I ship my gun from CA to FL using shipping service? Do I persist any trouble ahead?
Old 04-13-2013, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsmith View Post
May I ship my gun from CA to FL using shipping service? Do I persist any trouble ahead?
Is it a handgun or rifle/shotgun? Are you selling it to someone or shipping it to yourself? Need more info.
Old 06-16-2014, 7:00 AM
Veteran Member

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!!
Old 06-16-2014, 9:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso grande View Post
Thanks,
OG
I would ask Riflegear in Fountain Valley. I talked to a guy there yesterday and he said they could do it. It sounded like you had to tell them what you were looking for and they would try and locate one and do the conversion for you. I'm sure it would cost more than finding your own and doing it yourself but at least it's an option. He said they could do it on Colts too. I have no idea what kind of price we're talking but probably worth a phone call if you can't find anywhere else
Old 06-23-2014, 8:42 PM

I want to say thanks for this thread, even though it is very old it is still relevant. It looks like I found a local shop, they will do it if they can locate what I'm looking for (627-5), I tried thought to find somebody that would let me do it myself.

For personal knowledge, does anybody know which replacement hammer would work in the Performance Center 627-5 (specifically 170210)? Sounds like it is easy enough to do with the existing hammer I just like knowing things.

Too bad there's no list on here of shops that will do single action conversions, that would be great to have. These two dealers listed are pretty far from me, though if it came to it I could make it work as a last resort.

Red
Old 07-01-2014, 7:29 AM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
For personal knowledge, does anybody know which replacement hammer would work in the Performance Center 627-5 (specifically 170210)? Sounds like it is easy enough to do with the existing hammer I just like knowing things.
Looks like a modern (MIM) N frame hammer assembly (no firing pin) is all you would need to drop in. eBAY, Midway, of like should have one for $35-$60 bucks.
Old 07-30-2014, 5:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

So this to comes to an end on January 1, 2015?

Sorry for such a basic question, but keeping up with all these laws hurts my head.

--Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-30-2014, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 252yft View Post
So this to comes to an end on January 1, 2015?

Sorry for such a basic question, but keeping up with all these laws hurts my head.
No, single action revolvers were not affected by the new law
Old 08-02-2014, 3:51 PM

shooting4life

Thank you, thank you thank you for posting this. I was just about to start my revolver hunt when I stumbled upon this post. Now my options are almost endless ( $$$$ permitting of course )

Last edited by Novak77; 08-02-2014 at 6:21 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 4:52 PM

Thank you very much for sharing this post. I might be able to take advantage of my in laws coming into town from VA.
Old 08-19-2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble phish View Post

Can anyone verify if the internals and the double action sear is removable like a S&W?

I'm also looking to get an off roster Taurus, and going the SSE route seems like a little bit less of a headache.
Ruger Mini 14
Kel-Tec RDB Hunter
Old 08-27-2014, 3:13 PM

This is BS, this is the easiest way to lose everything you value... including your right to bear arms. Sure, you can do this conversion and get a gun "in", but GOD HELP YOU if there is ever ANYTHING that puts that gun on the radar! Your circumvention of the intent of the law puts you at 100% LIABILITY if your gun is ever stolen, used for home defense, or in any way involved with anything that brings the light of the law onto you.
This idea is just damned stupid! You could lose it all, along with the shop that facilitated the transfer....
Old 08-27-2014, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvertiBee View Post
This is BS, this is the easiest way to lose everything you value... including your right to bear arms. Sure, you can do this conversion and get a gun "in", but GOD HELP YOU if there is ever ANYTHING that puts that gun on the radar! Your circumvention of the intent of the law puts you at 100% LIABILITY if your gun is ever stolen, used for home defense, or in any way involved with anything that brings the light of the law onto you.
This idea is just damned stupid! You could lose it all, along with the shop that facilitated the transfer....
Show me ONE guy that has had a problem with this method... Just ONE...
Old 08-27-2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Just another FUD-believer, move along. Sure you're not just an anti-gunner that's trolling?
Old 08-27-2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
circumenting the intent of a law is not illegal provided you circumvent it legally. it was done legally, so much so that the legislature passed a new law to close one of the methods that it was being done. by them NOT removing the SAE exemption at the same time they removed the SSE exemption, they basically acknowledge that it is OK to do so.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-27-2014, 8:54 PM

A friend of mine here in California has a father in Georgia who has been collecting guns for decades, to include shotguns, rifles, and all manner of handguns, but I believe the majority are rifles and shotguns. He will be inheriting the collection when his father dies. How should one go about pre-planning for the day? It would seem to me that a Trust might be needed to cite the firearms, all by serial number, and appoint the son as the successor Trustee when the father (trustee) dies. Would that help in the process in getting that collection back here to California? (His father used to live in California but left because of the silly gun laws many years ago).

TIA

Dan
Old 10-02-2014, 1:14 PM

Quote:

He doesn't get it...