Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-20-2013, 3:52 PM

Some AMAZING shots here. From when this thread started to now is a huge difference.

Here are a few newer ones of mine. None of them are in any form of light box and don't even have light focused on them, all I did was bounce my SB-600 Nikon Flash off my D80 off the ceiling

EAA Witness

S&W M&P .357sig plus .40cal barrel and Apex Trigger

Fusion T-Comm .45

Glock 19 OD 9mm

STI Trojan 6" 9mm (most accurate handgun ive ever shot)

HK P7 (LOVE THIS GUN!!!!)

SIG P220 best non 1911 .45 IMO

Springfield Loaded American version internals built by Jim Hoag

Steyr M9

Dan Wesson PM-7 10mm I bobbed myself

Last edited by Kingofthehill; 03-20-2013 at 3:58 PM..
Old 03-21-2013, 5:49 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJimbo View Post
It's taken me a while to get through this entire thread, but I'm so glad that I took the time. I'd like to say thank you to everyone who posted their tips and techniques.

This is great information not only for taking "for sale" pix, but I'm planning on taking a few keepsake photos based on y'all's tips.
I'm glad you find this thread useful! Indeed, it has taken a life of its own and continues to live on, which is great.

What topics should we cover next? I think it's time for a refresh on some of the tips and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Some AMAZING shots here. From when this thread started to now is a huge difference.

Here are a few newer ones of mine. None of them are in any form of light box and don't even have light focused on them, all I did was bounce my SB-600 Nikon Flash off my D80 off the ceiling
Very nice job - goes to show what you can do without much of a setup at all. I may try this out for myself to see what kind of results I can get - thanks for sharing your photos and expertise!

Turby
Old 04-22-2013, 7:03 PM

I have never seen this trick before, looks like an awesome way to create a portable photo studio. Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by couch View Post
I've been meaning to buy/build a tent to take better photos of the parts I make and work on. After talking to a friend that shoots photos for a while he sent me a few links with photos of some home built tents so I took a box and paper from work, picked up a sheet from WalMart and used a clamp light I've had sitting in the garage. I have a total of $11 into this thing including the clamp light.

I'm taking the photos with my phone (Nexus S).

The box is around 24"x24"x20".

I first cut out the top and the front, leaving around 2"-3" around the edges.

Then cut the paper to fit.

Once the paper was cut I cut windows in the sides. Also leaving 2"-3" around the edges.

After I cut out the box I wrapped it with a white sheet. The front of the sheet can drop down to cover the front door.

Then cut a slit thru both the sheet and the box to attach the clamp light.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 PM

Been lurking for sometime, then found this thread. Gave it a go and came out with this for a cheap light box pic. Still learning so go easy. Great info and even better forum.

Old 05-08-2013, 8:36 PM

Hey there all. I am a professional photographer and I figure I share some of my guns .

I started like many of the people here did with the cardboard box and toilet paper about 5 years ago. I have my own studio now so it certainly makes taking photos a bit easier lol.

Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 05-31-2013, 5:53 PM

Tagged
Old 06-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great post! I've always wondered how people obtain studio quality pictures.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 PM

Thanks! These are what I ended up with:

Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Good info!
Old 06-25-2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
Hey there all. I am a professional photographer and I figure I share some of my guns .

fantastic shot!!!

this thread is awesome. not just the gun pron, but also the OP tips. i'm just a beginner with a DSLR and have a ton to learn, but this thread has been a huge help.

Last edited by Corpus; 06-25-2013 at 9:28 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 9:46 PM

here's a couple shots of my G21SF. first one is pretty straight forward, but the second one I played around in Lightroom to make it a little more interesting.

thought they both came out pretty good and have been using them as wallpapers. its awesome what you can do in post, but hope to be able to get to the point of just taking a great shot from the start.
Old 06-26-2013, 1:47 PM
Administrator

Corpus - your first image looks a little soft - camera shake?

I also see a lot of ISO noise here - what ISO you running?

Turby
Old 06-26-2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Corpus - your first image looks a little soft - camera shake?

I also see a lot of ISO noise here - what ISO you running?

Turby
camera shake is definitely a possibility. i don't have alot of miles behind the lens, so probably need to work on that. as for the noise, do you mean the ghosted cirlces? dont know what ISO this was taken at. I still am not sure when settings change as you switch between modes, and when they keep settings from the previous mode. its frustrating because often I'll try to adjust something and the mode I'm on won't let me.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post

EAA Witness

Springfield Loaded American version internals built by Jim Hoag
@Kingofthehill - these are amazing! beautiful guns and even better shots.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Still trying to perfect my technique:

EDITED: Added image to match the thread.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.

Last edited by monk; 07-09-2013 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Correct image.
Old 06-28-2013, 9:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
camera shake is definitely a possibility. i don't have alot of miles behind the lens, so probably need to work on that. as for the noise, do you mean the ghosted cirlces? dont know what ISO this was taken at. I still am not sure when settings change as you switch between modes, and when they keep settings from the previous mode. its frustrating because often I'll try to adjust something and the mode I'm on won't let me.
Noise = looks grainy.. this is typical of high ISO images, depending on the sensor performance of your camera. Look at some of the recent samples posted - these images look very clean - no dots, no noise, just the subject matter for you to notice and appreciate.

What mode are you using on your camera? If you're running in an Auto mode, the camera typically won't let you adjust much of anything. For these static shots, my new recommendation is to drive your camera in Manual mode, that way you control the exposure yourself. Further, in my opinion, you should always know what your ISO is, what your shutter speed is, and what your f/stop is. These to me are critical settings.

Turby
Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
Still trying to perfect my technique:
Looks good! turn your ISO down a little more and maintain lighting. you can tell even at this resolution it is kind of grainy. Lowered ISO and lengthened exposure will mitigate this. Love the rifle btw!
Old 07-01-2013, 9:22 PM

thanks for the feedback Turbinator, its much appreciated. i took those shots the first day i brought home my new glock, and I hadn't come across this great thread yet. i'll def have to take some more shots once i get more of the controls down on my canon eos.

quick question though. i can see the noise/grain in my shots, but i dont see it Monk's shots above. i thought his came out pretty sharp. what am i missing?
Old 07-02-2013, 7:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
quick question though. i can see the noise/grain in my shots, but i dont see it Monk's shots above. i thought his came out pretty sharp. what am i missing?
Hmm, I'm not the one who commented on Monk's photos needing a lower ISO and more exposure time. I thought his images came out pretty well. Maybe i'ts just my monitor, but I think you're not missing anything.

Turby
Old 07-08-2013, 6:27 PM

The thread is titled for handguns, but the info helped out to photograph my ar. I only used one light, iphone camera, and photo booth editing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2275.jpg (76.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2269.jpg (90.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by ccalsubi; 07-08-2013 at 6:31 PM..
Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Woops, my mistake all. Fixed my post. I had this thread open with another picture thread.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM

I think I need a new camera.
Old 07-25-2013, 6:17 PM

VarmintKiller do you have any failure to feed issues with that p232?
Old 07-25-2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellArmedSurfer View Post
VarmintKiller do you have any failure to feed issues with that p232?
To be honest I have only run about 2-3 mags through it myself. I don't remember any problems. I bought these three guns for my wife and she says the same. She has put "a few boxes" of ammo through it with no problems. Do you have one? Problems?
Old 07-25-2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintKiller View Post
To be honest I have only run about 2-3 mags through it myself. I don't remember any problems. I bought these three guns for my wife and she says the same. She has put "a few boxes" of ammo through it with no problems. Do you have one? Problems?
Yeah I have one, have about 500 rds through it, been getting at least 1 FTF every 2 mags, sometimes more. If it continues through the next 50 rds I will call sig.
Old 07-25-2013, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellArmedSurfer View Post
Yeah I have one, have about 500 rds through it, been getting at least 1 FTF every 2 mags, sometimes more. If it continues through the next 50 rds I will call sig.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes. I've had good experiences with Sig.
Old 07-28-2013, 1:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintKiller View Post
I think I need a new camera.
I don't think you need a new camera, but let's verify your techniques. I do see evidence of a flash hotspotting your picture there, on the middle handgun. If you're going to use flash, as some of our members have demonstrated can be done effectively, can you bounce the flash or diffuse it?

Turby
Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Sometimes a lightbox/macro mini studio is not needed. A flash gun and umbrella (like for portraits) can be used to good effect. I prefer the interplay between light and shadow from a darker background (plus I hate white background and high key stuff).

A bit of shadow here as the umbrella was not quite in the right position.

Creative use of a reflector or stuff like White97 can help balance out the extra shadows from a single light source.

Maybe a bit too 'artsy' in trying to use extremely shallow depth of field ...

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 10-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Administrator

^^ Oooh, I see a slide stop scratch on your frame an slide...

Turby
Old 10-03-2013, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
^^ Oooh, I see a slide stop scratch on your frame an slide...

Turby
It was there when I got it! Promise ...

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 10-12-2013, 5:58 PM

nice I have wanted to get a lil set up like that. Good to see its fairly easy!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM

I'm digging this thread - while I haven't had time to read it all, or upload any of my pictures, I wanted to give you all a quick lesson exposure for those that are struggling with it.

On your DSLR camera there are three settings that affect exposure. They are shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

Shutter speed affects how long your sensor is exposed to light, the lower the number the slower your shutter moves. Under normal conditions must DLSRs cannot use a flash with a shutter speed setting greater than 250. The reason for this is because the shutter would be partially closed during the flash, and would cause a dark band in your photo. There are some flashes and cameras that can get around this limitation by "strobing" the flash during the exposure, this advanced technique is for a longer post.

Aperture is the size of the light opening in the lens. Aperture affects two areas of your photograph, both the exposure as well as the focus area referred to as depth of field. The larger the aperture the smaller the number. Generally the largest you will see on lenses that a consumer will have is F/1.4. Most of your kit lenses will go down to F/3 or F/3.5, some will go down to F/2.8. This is often referred to how "fast" your glass is, because the larger the aperture, the faster the shutter speed can be for the same exposure level. This is why many sports photographers require lenses with very large apertures so that they can freeze the action with a fast shutter speed, and still expose the photo properly. If you are having issues with the focus area of your photograph, you may need to use a smaller aperture (larger F-stop number), in order to increase your depth of field (focus area), but remember that this is going to decrease your exposure so you will either have to adjust an external factor (light intensity), or one of the other two exposure settings (shutter speed or ISO).

The last setting that affects exposure is your ISO setting. This is a purely electronic setting that tells your sensor how sensitive to light you need it to be. The higher the number the more sensitive the light it will be, the more exposed your photo will be. This is basically the same thing as the speed rating on film, for those that remember buying actual film. There is however, a trade off. The higher the ISO setting is on your sensor, the more "noise" you will see in your photograph. Newer DLSR cameras are getting better and better at eliminating noise in the higher ISO settings, but there is still a trade off. If you are controlling your light completely for "studio" shots, you should be using an ISO setting no greater than 200, and ideally it should be 100. It will make your pictures a lot more crisp if you can keep your ISO setting down. That is why many photographers use it as a last resort to increasing their exposure.

I hope this short tutorial on exposure will help you guys take more excellent shots of your firearms. This thread is making me want to break out my light box and do some shooting (not the kind that requires ammo)!
Here is how their "logic" works: "Thank you Gov. Brown for anally raping me with a baseball bat instead of a two by four. You are so nice and caring, I appreciate you being so gentle"
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 AM

Also - many photo editing programs, even simple ones have options to adjust white balance after the shot. I see many shots here with "yellowish" whites. Use google, you can probably tell your photo editor what in the photo SHOULD be white, and it can adjust white balance based on that. They usually can get it spot on or pretty close with that function.
Here is how their "logic" works: "Thank you Gov. Brown for anally raping me with a baseball bat instead of a two by four. You are so nice and caring, I appreciate you being so gentle"
Old 10-30-2013, 8:30 PM

I learned a lot reading through this thread,
Thanks.

New to this, comments and tips welcome.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Default Nikon D60

How to do close ups with a D60? I have 18-55 and 55-200 lens . Thanks Dave
Old 11-04-2013, 3:16 PM

Most of my pics of handguns are 40 - 50mm, tripod.
Old 11-04-2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroupdr View Post
How to do close ups with a D60? I have 18-55 and 55-200 lens . Thanks Dave
What do you mean close ups? How close are you trying to get? If you mean Macro - you either have to have a lens capable of it, or use macro extension tubes, like these: http://www.amazon.com/Version-Gold-p...ds=macro+rings

As for me, I took some shots of my new sig this weekend. I should have cleaned it before I took the pics, because the camera brought out a bunch of fuzz and crap that I couldn't see without the flash, etc.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks Turbinator. This is not easy...

Attachment 280339

Last edited by tbc; 07-12-2017 at 6:53 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 4:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseverance View Post
I learned a lot reading through this thread,
Thanks.

New to this, comments and tips welcome.

Good start - personally, I think this photo could use a bit more exposure, looks a little dark to me. Could you kindly post your EXIF data and I (or someone else) can make some suggestions?

If I had to guess, I'd increase exposure time a little bit more. Maybe try bracketing 3 shots, each with increasing exposure time.

Turby
Old 11-15-2013, 4:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiya View Post
As for me, I took some shots of my new sig this weekend. I should have cleaned it before I took the pics, because the camera brought out a bunch of fuzz and crap that I couldn't see without the flash, etc.
The 3 photos of your SIG are excellent - very well done!

Turby