Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-04-2016, 8:16 AM

Default No more BB??

Hey guys, I'm a little confused about the upcoming AW registration. Way I understand it bullet buttons will be no more. I have a off list UZI pistol with a bullet button. What do I have to do to keep this gun legal next year (not 26in so can't register). If I simply remove the forward grip and the BB am I GTG(making it same as any other pistol)?
Thanks
Old 12-04-2016, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

you either have to register it as an assault weapon or make it compliant with the new laws (TBD next year exactly how). There is no way to make a pistol featureless so that route is not viable.
Old 12-04-2016, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
Hey guys, I'm a little confused about the upcoming AW registration. Way I understand it bullet buttons will be no more. I have a off list UZI pistol with a bullet button. What do I have to do to keep this gun legal next year (not 26in so can't register). If I simply remove the forward grip and the BB am I GTG(making it same as any other pistol)?
Thanks
I believe you can register and that the 26in requirement only applies to rifles. I hope so, or else I won't be able to register a couple things.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:47 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Thanks
Yes.
Removing the second handgrip will make your semi-auto pistol featureless and it will no longer need a maglock + 10 round magazine to be CA legal.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-04-2016, 10:53 AM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
I believe you can register and that the 26in requirement only applies to rifles. I hope so, or else I won't be able to register a couple things.
Also, this

>26" OAL only applies to RAW rifles - not pistols ... unless you plan on permanently converting your pistol into a rifle (like some sig MPX users have thought about).

-------
Old 12-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yep...

As long as the Uzi does not have a shoulder stock or any other "evil features" then it may be possible to configure it as featureless. Shoulder stock would make it an SBR and not legal in California as well as being an NFA violation.

One "gotcha" on many guns of this type is the barrel shroud.
The gun must not have anything that protects you from burning your hand or otherwise covers the barrel other than the slide.

Also the flash hider must be removed and the threaded barrel either turned down to remove the threads or have a thread protector permanently attached.

This one could be configured as featureless by removing the barrel threads:

This one would be more difficult due to the barrel shroud:

Potentially, the only option for the 2nd one would be registration, or some way to fix the magazine so that it can not be removed without disassembling the action... make it a top-loader.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UZI-PRO1.jpg (84.4 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg UZI02.jpg (85.1 KB, 322 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
Also, this

>26" OAL only applies to RAW rifles - not pistols ... unless you plan on permanently converting your pistol into a rifle (like some sig MPX users have thought about).
But in that case it must be 26" and have a 16" barrel.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks
Confusion reins supreme. The new legislation classifies new AW in the same catagory as the previous RAWs identified by features. It did not modify the definition of these RAWs. Accordingly no BB and OAL of 26" (same as FED). CADOJ has yet to issue regs. Be prepared for them attempt to create a new class of RAW requiring they remaining in their legal condition as of 12/31/2016. This is making new law outside the legal scope of the DOJ. Lawsuits will ensue. Meanwhile the legislature will amend the legislation to conform to DOJ edicts.
This will be Kamala's good bye present to CA. However take some solace that she is a Senator with no seniority in the minority party. Perhaps her capital building office assignment with be a 100sf with no windows next to the men's room.

Last edited by Blade Gunner; 12-04-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Old 12-04-2016, 1:41 PM

If we do have to keep the bullet buttons it will be because too many people feel the need to make these repetitive threads which give lawmakers something to consider before the law becomes final.
Old 12-04-2016, 1:44 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
But in that case it must be 26" and have a 16" barrel.
But of course

-------
Old 12-04-2016, 1:51 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezamboni View Post
If we do have to keep the bullet buttons it will be because too many people feel the need to make these repetitive threads which give lawmakers something to consider before the law becomes final.
It's nothing new... and it is actually part of the reason that the registry was never re-opened to add new lowers during the window of opportunity.

The possibility of reopening the registry permitting the removal of magazine locks and using large-cap mags has been openly discussed on this forum for 10 years.

It's not new, not unknown to Sacramento... yet the prohibition was not defined in the new law. Instead they went the other way, redefining magazine detachment in a way that negates any legal purpose of the BB, rendering it legally useless.

Quote:
Old 12-04-2016, 2:16 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
It's nothing new... and it is actually part of the reason that the registry was never re-opened to add new lowers during the window of opportunity.

The possibility of reopening the registry permitting the removal of magazine locks and using large-cap mags has been openly discussed on this forum for 10 years.

It's not new, not unknown to Sacramento... yet the prohibition was not defined in the new law. Instead they went the other way, redefining magazine detachment in a way that negates any legal purpose of the BB, rendering it legally useless.
In fact, was it not part of the strategy with the OLL proliferation back in 05/06?

-------