Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-03-2016, 8:08 AM

Default S&W 629 questions...

Hey there,

I have a couple quick questions before I buy my first Smith (I've only had Rugers).

I am looking to buy the 629 Classic in 6.5" barrel w/ the full lug (SKU#: 163638) https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-629-classic

My questions are:

1. Is this a round or square butt? (I am shopping for grips already)

2. Can someone please link me to a page so I can learn more about the dash numbers?

3. Correct me if I am wrong, but this model is a 629-6. I would like to know more about what the -6 means. (I am not asking you to tell me, just for a link to where I can learn myself since I know this question has been asked before.)

4. I don't mind buying a model with lock, but I am interested in hearing if anyone has ever had a problem with the lock. Has it ever locked on you accidentally? broke? etc...

5. Lastly, have you ever had any warranty work done to a Smith revolver? If so, what went wrong and how was their customer service? etc.

THANK YOU SO MUCH to anyone that answers these questions for me. I have been a member here for a while and VERY MUCH appreciate all the information shared with me over the years.
Old 12-03-2016, 8:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We'll be glad to tell you, but if you want to look it up, for full info on the changes introduced with each dash number and much more we depend on the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. I open that up in the Kindle app almost every time I'm in a gun store.

The locks are ugly, but as far as I know only people with scandium models have had problems. Anyway if you really want to that component can be removed and the hole in the side plugged. I don't think you'd be able to do anything about the empty slot next to the hammer though.

Lefty videos
Revolver reloading: de BethencourtAyoob (lefty at 4:30)
Semi-auto handling: SIG SAUER AcademyGunsite Academy

Last edited by LeftHand-Fu; 12-03-2016 at 8:21 AM.. Reason: Added "and the hole in the side plugged".
Old 12-03-2016, 8:29 AM

I for one do not think the lock distracts from the looks of the firearm. I actually think the lock looks intriguing. It obviously does not make the firearm less functional. Haters are just going to hate.
Old 12-03-2016, 8:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparesa View Post
Haters are just going to hate.
True that. #Respect for your Zen-like acceptance of The Lock.

Lefty videos
Revolver reloading: de BethencourtAyoob (lefty at 4:30)
Semi-auto handling: SIG SAUER AcademyGunsite Academy
Old 12-03-2016, 10:03 AM

spending that much on the S&W catalog is a bit steep...thats what the intrawebz are for!
Old 12-03-2016, 10:36 AM

I have that exact model and if you want it for a hunting/camping sidearm, I suggest going with the 4". Weighs less, just as accurate, and you don't loss much velocity. I'm actually better with my buddies 4" than I am with my 6.5
Old 12-03-2016, 11:41 AM

Default Used

buy Used 44mag. The "Classics" don't do anything for me.

There are thousands of 44 Mags that their owner didn't get through their first cylinder without pain. Owners put them away with embarrassment over having purchased a gun they didn't know how to shoot.

Those sixguns are in mint condition!

Reload your own or buy cowboy loads, and you will have some of the sweetest shooting wheelguns available.

S&W has done service on a dozen of my firearms over the years. They have only attempted once to charge me for anything (trigger job on a model 14 in mint condition, 40 years old). They said trigger jobs were custom and not covered. I complained and said just do the trigger repair and forget the action job. They said we want to keep you as a customer, and we will be happy to do it all at no charge. Sorry for the inconvenience. They set the DA at 7 and the SA at 3- (as I had asked). Absolutely Perfect !

Ruger has harassed me almost everytime I call for support (5 of 6 times), and I live in Prescott, AZ where they make them. I've visited the plant and met Mr Ruger Senior years ago. I have over a dozen Ruger pieces. QC, Support, and their legal team seems to have gotten much worse in the last two years.

Colt has been good and easy to deal with. They do charge for support.

Last edited by lostinsurf; 12-03-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Old 12-03-2016, 2:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparesa View Post
I for one do not think the lock distracts from the looks of the firearm. I actually think the lock looks intriguing. It obviously does not make the firearm less functional. Haters are just going to hate.
It looks like... Oppression.
Old 12-03-2016, 3:18 PM

^^^ it may look like oppression but it reminds me of treason.
Old 12-03-2016, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsurf View Post
buy Used 44mag. The "Classics" don't do anything for me.

There are thousands of 44 Mags that their owner didn't get through their first cylinder without pain. Owners put them away with embarrassment over having purchased a gun they didn't know how to shoot.

Those sixguns are in mint condition!

Reload your own or buy cowboy loads, and you will have some of the sweetest shooting wheelguns available.

S&W has done service on a dozen of my firearms over the years. They have only attempted once to charge me for anything (trigger job on a model 14 in mint condition, 40 years old). They said trigger jobs were custom and not covered. I complained and said just do the trigger repair and forget the action job. They said we want to keep you as a customer, and we will be happy to do it all at no charge. Sorry for the inconvenience. They set the DA at 7 and the SA at 3- (as I had asked). Absolutely Perfect !

Ruger has harassed me almost everytime I call for support (5 of 6 times), and I live in Prescott, AZ where they make them. I've visited the plant and met Mr Ruger Senior years ago. I have over a dozen Ruger pieces. QC, Support, and their legal team seems to have gotten much worse in the last two years.

Colt has been good and easy to deal with. They do charge for support.
thank you for the response, its nice to hear their warranty department treats customers well.

I am not using this for a hunting revolver, I have a ruger for that.

This is simply a fun gun....something with a longer barrel, just to stroke my ego and have fun at the range with.

I want something big and heavy. I thought about a S&W500, but I already shoot and stock a lot of .44 magnum and love the caliber...i am just new to Smiths and was hoping to get those questions answred..

does anyone know if this is a round or a square butt?
Old 12-03-2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyriot View Post
I have that exact model and if you want it for a hunting/camping sidearm, I suggest going with the 4". Weighs less, just as accurate, and you don't loss much velocity. I'm actually better with my buddies 4" than I am with my 6.5
I have heard this as well...

Actually, I've heard the 5" model seems to point the best and feel best in hand...

I simply like the 6" because of the looks
Old 12-03-2016, 3:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
1. Is this a round or square butt? (I am shopping for grips already)
It's a round butt.

Almost all new ones are round butt. The exception are the ones that are made to look "retro."

Quote:
2. Can someone please link me to a page so I can learn more about the dash numbers?
Just in case you are asking about dash numbers themselves and not about the actual differences, dash numbers represent different versions with some modifications in manufacturing or features.

Quote:
4. I don't mind buying a model with lock, but I am interested in hearing if anyone has ever had a problem with the lock. Has it ever locked on you accidentally? broke? etc...
Never had a problem with the lock.

It's also very easy to remove the lock - watch any video about disassembly of S&W revolvers (Jerry Miculek has a bunch) and first thing you'll notice is how simple and elegant they are (excluding Chiappa Rhinos and alike) and how easy it is to get to the lock and remove it.

The real problem with the lock for purists is that there is a "hole of shame" in the frame that can be plugged, but not removed.

Quote:
5. Lastly, have you ever had any warranty work done to a Smith revolver? If so, what went wrong and how was their customer service? etc.
I had work done on my 329PD. The cylinder would lock and wouldn't open without a lot of force.

The process was seamless - I called, they told me to ship it, I went to the local FedEx hub (cannot be just any location), declared and shipped the firearm, received it at home some time later. Note that you can run into people who don't know about shipping firearms, so you might have to talk to their supervisors. It's frustrating, but it all works out in the end since FedEx *does* ship firearms.
Old 12-03-2016, 3:59 PM
Finally retired
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I had a 5" 629 classic on my ccw for years, took it off my permit when I stopped working in the hills. Now it sits in the safe haven't shot it in quite some time. As I recall it had a pretty kick but not uncontrollable, it was loud and made a great fireball.

Mine is a mid 90's model and has Hogue grips, I've never removed them so I can't say if the frame is round or square.
Old 12-03-2016, 4:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A quick add-on. Don't get new grips until you try the ones that come with the gun. The new grips on N-frames have extra material covering the back of the frame, much like X-frames have. It's very comfortable to shoot higher power loads as it eliminates pressure points.
Old 12-03-2016, 4:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Congrats OP.....fine Weapon.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-03-2016, 9:42 PM

I just bought a 629 Classic in 6 1/2". It shoots great! I think you will be very happy with one if you decide.

It's a round but, but I prefer the other grips Hogue offers. It's called round to square conversion grips as my 325 and 327 have them.

The -6 just means its the 6th revision that S&W has made to the model I believe.

Haven't had any problems with the locks on the three S&W revolvers I own so far.

As for their warranty its lifetime from defects and any problems that may come up. Not for any modifications that you have done. My TRR8 327 cylinder was slightly out of timing when I bought and didn't know to check until recent. Contacted S&W and they sent me prepaid shipping label to send back to them. It was fixed in two weeks and sent back to me.

6 1/2" next to 5" at the time of purchase.

These are the round to square conversion grips I prefer like the ones on my TRR8 and Thunder Ranch. Pictured with the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Kydex with leather inside holster.
http://store.smith-wesson.com/webapp...layErrorView_N

Last edited by Nuuze; 12-03-2016 at 9:57 PM..
Old 12-03-2016, 10:03 PM

Wow, thank you all for the responses

My questions have been answered

If I'm not too excited when I buy this revolver, I'll try to remember to post a few pics..

Tata for now
Old 12-03-2016, 11:59 PM

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-69

Thought I'd throw this in here as another possibility to consider.
Old 12-04-2016, 1:44 AM

Here's the 4" on top followed by the Performance Center 629's. I almost bought the 4" but since I had a 4" Thunder Ranch .45acp and 5" TRR8 in .357mag, I decided on the 6 1/2" in .44mag.

Last edited by Nuuze; 12-04-2016 at 1:52 AM..
Old 12-04-2016, 6:55 AM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

I had a problem with a 629 a few times.
Bought it new.
each time they did fix it free ..... I can not recall if I had to pay shipping.
However I was concerned the same gun kept breaking. It was something different each time.
I tried to question them about this , couldn't get a response about it.
But they would fix it.
Each time it came back it needed to be rezeroed , kinda $$$ considering the cost of the factory loads I was using.
Old 12-04-2016, 7:12 AM

My 629-6 has the round butt frame. With the right grips, you would not know that on this revolver. I do like the looks of wood on a revolver and I thought that this thread needed some wood. However, my hands will bleed after shooting 100 rounds with this wood grip from S&W. Warning: This S&W wood grips is damaging to arthritic wrists.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:42 PM

It's not the wood causing problems. It's the recoil from hot loads. (That's humor.)

I do appreciate the Pachmayrs when shooting anything over 1100fps. I just love the look of the wood so much, it's hard for me to put the rubber on.

The answer of course is to reload.