Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-19-2016, 9:35 AM

There is only one 9mm M&Pshield on the roster, does that sku they list (on the roster) work for all Shields or do I have to make sure I get the LCI version with thumb safety. ???
Old 03-19-2016, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

LCI with thumb safety and magazine disconnect

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 03-20-2016, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Alright, carrying it daily with multiple range trips. Floppy disk is holding strong and has caused zero issues.

MG parts are good to go. Zero malfunctions still. I did swap the OEM floorplate for the MG one just to have a bit of extra space when seating with +1 in the chamber with the flush mag. It wasn't needed, but it was just easier. I still don't like the MG floorplate with the extended mags so I'll leave the OEM floorplates in there.

I ended up liking the S&W platform so much that I went and bought the Shield's older brother:

First order of business is to remove the MDC. I have the "H" trigger bar assembly and slide stop with hump on their way (Delivered as of today actually). It's to update to the more audible and tactile reset as with the newer, revamped M&P line which mimics the Shield trigger. Nail polish mod already done lol.

H trigger bar and updated slide stop installed. What a huge difference in tactile reset feel. Range test tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2016, 6:38 AM

I've installed 4 maguts 2 in 7 round mags and 2 in 8 round mags, I've run 500+ rounds of fmj and hst147 thru
They've run flawless so far no malfunctions
It's amazing to have a pistol as small and easy to carry as a 9 mm shield with 9+1 rounds of 147 HST on board
Old 03-20-2016, 3:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootytom View Post
I've installed 4 maguts 2 in 7 round mags and 2 in 8 round mags, I've run 500+ rounds of fmj and hst147 thru
They've run flawless so far no malfunctions
It's amazing to have a pistol as small and easy to carry as a 9 mm shield with 9+1 rounds of 147 HST on board

Thanks for the additional info. It'll help those who are on the fence.

Old 03-20-2016, 6:22 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The "telescoping" springs are simply a work of engineering art.
If they could come up with a way of telescoping the springs without the "cup" we'd have room for another round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-17-2016, 9:42 AM
Señor Member

Bumpdate on this one....

I noticed during my last trip to the range that I got 10 shots out of one of my mags.

Did I forget to clear the chamber before loading up the FMJ? Nope... there's my 7rd carry mag with the extra JHP in the pocket on my bag.

Reload the 3 mags. Was that 9 or 10?
Fire the 3 mags. 9, 10, 9
Reload, had my wife count as I loaded.
One mag accepted 10 rounds.

Got home and disassembled all of my modded mags. No difference in assembly... springs seated in the cups and followers the same way.
Put them back together... can still only get 8rds into the low-profile (carry) mag.
NOW I'm able to get 10rds into all 3 of my extended mags.

It's not a spring compression issue... the mag that originally fed 10 has not been kept loaded. My backup mag would only accept 9 until I reassembled it.
The 10th one goes in no harder than #8 used to go in stock.

Possible explanation, spring tension relaxing, or the feed lips are bending... but neither explains why the first mag to show this is both not kept loaded 24/7, nor has it been used much after initial testing.

Regardless, I'm not complaining, but am keeping a close eye on function and will replace the bodies on the carry mags at the first sign of issues.

On the Talon grip tape, I ended up getting some "smearing" on the body-side. They were gradually pulling forward. At first, I just made a nice semi-circular cut along the crescent line on the grips and removed everything behind that, but a while later I just removed them completely.
I added them for the thickness rather than the grip, since I was more used to my Glocks and 1911.
Now that I've been spending more time with the P380, the smaller grip on the Shield doesn't bother me.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-17-2016, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update, Coke.

Hmmm. Contact MG. They're aware that sometimes 10 rounds can get into the extended mags, but stated that it could cause reliability issues. If you have no issues after testing, then I'd say it's a blessing.

On the Talons, I've noticed that they revised the design of the tape. The back side is now sealed and the tape wraps towards the front. I bought a set to try, but have yet to put them on.

http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith...on/shield.html

Old 05-11-2016, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone ever see discount codes or discount for bulk magguts purchases? The price per is high so I won't buy, but I'm interested.
Old 05-11-2016, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
Anyone ever see discount codes or discount for bulk magguts purchases? The price per is high so I won't buy, but I'm interested.
I have not seen this myself. They don't appear to have authorized vendors either.

Old 05-11-2016, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

On eBay they upcharge. Cheaper to buy direct.
Old 06-28-2016, 1:45 PM

Thanks for all the information OP.
Old 09-23-2016, 9:01 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

I just ordered the +1 mag extender from Magguts. According to their info, it will extend an eight round mag to nine, and with their guts, total of 10 rounds. I ordered several to mess with, hope they work out!

Jerry
Old 09-23-2016, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
I just ordered the +1 mag extender from Magguts. According to their info, it will extend an eight round mag to nine, and with their guts, total of 10 rounds. I ordered several to mess with, hope they work out!

Jerry

Yes, that's correct. They have one for the Shield 40 also.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post

Jerry
Got a couple as well, if these work out I might be moving my M&P 9c
Old 10-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Just an update to anyone with the base plates. I can comfortably squeeze 10 rounds into the factory eight round mags now. I have tried it on the seven round body, but it lands at an awkward spot for my pinky finger. I have the Talon grip wraps on the Shields now, and added the same for the magazines. I went with the Ruger LC( ones which are slightly bigger, and they fit well enough. I'll try to post up some pictures later.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:47 AM

Awaiting your pics...I didn't like the feel of +1 extender from MagGuts
Old 10-20-2016, 12:37 PM

Hey Yoshi! Where do you get your updated slide stop for the M&P 9? My reset is horrible. Thx!
Old 10-20-2016, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBobOC View Post
Hey Yoshi! Where do you get your updated slide stop for the M&P 9? My reset is horrible. Thx!
H Trigger Bar

Slide Stop

You will want the H trigger bar and the updated slide stop. They work in conjunction with each other. This is assuming you didn't replace the trigger already.

It basically feels like the Shield trigger now. Nice, tactile reset.

Last edited by code_blue; 10-20-2016 at 1:52 PM..
Old 10-20-2016, 9:00 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Here's the first two. Still not sure which one to put the third one on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161019_234413.jpg (94.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20161019_234359.jpg (85.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 10-20-2016, 9:16 PM

Quote:
H Trigger Bar

Slide Stop

You will want the H trigger bar and the updated slide stop. They work in conjunction with each other. This is assuming you didn't replace the trigger already.

It basically feels like the Shield trigger now. Nice, tactile reset.
Thanks so much buddy!
Old 10-21-2016, 7:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Just a heads up (or maybe I've been asleep), but Magguts just came out with a +2 mag extension for the Shield. So, you get a total capacity of 9 or 10 rounds per magazine. They have a complete set for $32.95(!). Quite spendy, but for anyone who wants to get that extra edge of 10 rounds, this may be a way to go! If anyone has tried it, let us know how they work!

http://magguts.com/shop/smith-wesson...-wesson-shield

Happy shooting and be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-21-2016, 8:58 PM
Señor Member

I don't like the extension.

The sharp corner at the rear digs in and hurts, even wearing a t-shirt, and the point really tends to print.
I carried one for about 3 hours before I got sick of getting poked and swapped it for the 8/9rd I normally pocket. That evening the floorplate went back into the envelope and I continue to carry with the 7/8rd mag and an 8/9 (10) in my pocket.

Also, be careful on the 8rd mags with the extension and follower kit.
I can get 10 rounds into every one of my 8rd mags with the spring and follower kit... the new floorplate would make them 11rd mags.

Quote:
Old 10-22-2016, 5:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Default CA M&P Shield Mods & MagGuts +1 Spring Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post

The sharp corner at the rear digs in and hurts, even wearing a t-shirt, and the point really tends to print.
I carried one for about 3 hours before I got sick of getting poked and swapped it for the 8/9rd I normally pocket. That evening the floorplate went back into the envelope and I continue to carry with the 7/8rd mag and an 8/9 (10) in my pocket.

I can get 10 rounds into every one of my 8rd mags with the spring and follower kit... the new floorplate would make them 11rd mags.

Thanks for the update! They probably need a bit more refining.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Thanks for the update! They probably need a bit more refining.
Ya...

A little file work and that might reduce the discomfort issue, but at that point, it is still not as smooth as the factory base on the 8rd mag, and really no smaller. May as well carry the 8rd mag with the spring kit (which I do for my backup mag).

Quote:
Old 10-22-2016, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Speaking of a little file work, I didn't like the way we had to move our hands out of the way to get the 8 round mags to drop free. The sleeve on the mag hangs up on our palms. Shooting without the sleeve is weird cuz there's a lack of pinky holding real estate.

So, what does someone do when they have a Dremel and some spare time? Glad you asked! Lol!

There is a little ugliness from the voids in the molding process, but it doesn't bug me or the wife.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-27-2016, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

XDJYo, could you provide a of photo of the modded mag inserted into the pistol and one of you holding it?

I'll be ordering the MG base plates to personally test on the flush and extended mags. MG advised me that they are compatible with Gen 1 springs and do not require the Gen 2 Z-spring.

Happy shooting. It's back to square 1 testing for me.

Old 10-27-2016, 9:04 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I find the extension no different in terms of comfort than the standard eight round set up. It only makes a difference in terms of printing (depending on where I wear it) so it's also no different for me than the standard eight rounders. I was never able to consistently get 10 rounds into the mags before this extension, so the 11 rounds isn't an issue.

Jerry
Old 10-27-2016, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Bug_eyed,

Could you post a side by side of the standard extened mag with OEM baseplate and the flush mag with the MG extended baseplate?

MG states that it is shorter than the OEM 8 round, but I want to see the difference. Thanks

Old 10-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
XDJYo, could you provide a of photo of the modded mag inserted into the pistol and one of you holding it?

I'll be ordering the MG base plates to personally test on the flush and extended mags. MG advised me that they are compatible with Gen 1 springs and do not require the Gen 2 Z-spring.

Happy shooting. It's back to square 1 testing for me.

Here you go! Hope this helps.

IMG_3592.JPGIMG_3593.JPGIMG_3595.JPGIMG_3596.JPG
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-28-2016, 10:43 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Bug_eyed,

Could you post a side by side of the standard extened mag with OEM baseplate and the flush mag with the MG extended baseplate?

MG states that it is shorter than the OEM 8 round, but I want to see the difference. Thanks

I will try to get it done Sunday, work has been killing me. There's no way the OEM eight round is longer than the MG extension added to the eight round body. I think they mean it will be shorter with the extension on the seven round body with the +1 compared to the eight rounder, which might be possible, but I'll have to swap some around.

Jerry
Old 10-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I beat Jerry to the punch.

Here are the two side by side. The Magguts +1 extension base plate is shorter than the OEM S&W 8 round magazine.
IMG_3597.JPGIMG_3599.JPG

Here it is in the pistol.
IMG_3600.JPG

Compared to the 8 round OEM mag.
IMG_3601.JPG

Hope this helps!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-29-2016, 1:44 PM

Thanks for the pictures guys.
Old 11-05-2016, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Default 11/5/16 Update: MagGuts +2 Kits With Gen 2 Springs

11/5/16 Update: MagGuts +2 Kits using Gen 2 Z-Springs

Here is the kit

Opened and comparing Gen 2 Z-Springs (Left) to the Gen 1 dual springs (Right)

Note the differences in followers. Gen 2 Left and Gen 1 Right

Here are the springs installed into the mags, loaded to max capacity. Left to right: Flush mag with new MG Gen 2 +2 kit, OEM extended with MG Gen1 +1 kit, Extended with MG Gen 2 +2 kit.

Inserted into the Shield:

Flush with new Gen 2 +2 Kit

OEM extended with Gen 1 +1 kit

Extended with new Gen 2 +2

In case anyone was wondering, the original nail polish mod is still holding strong:

Last edited by code_blue; 10-25-2017 at 1:32 PM..
Old 11-05-2016, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Default 11/5/16 Update: MagGuts +2 Kits With Gen 2 Springs Part 2

I took it to the range and tested the kits. All performed flawlessly with Miwall 125GR reloads. I shot over 100 rounds without issue. Each mag was loaded to capacity (9 and 10) with 1 in the chamber to test tension.

Note that the spring tension is considerably tight with the flush mag, but the new extended mag had a bit more give. I'll continue testing a few hundred more Miwall loads before testing the 147 GR Gold Dots that I normally carry.

Size wise, I like the new flush mag; it has just enough for a pinky purchase, but not too much to hinder concealment. I'd say the difference between the new MG baseplate and the OEM extended is about the size of the OEM flush mag's base plate. You can see the difference in the photos in Part 1.

When paired with the new extended mag, the Shield is the same grip length as my Sig P320C. Essentially, it feels like a true compact grip. I really like it.

I wish I snapped photos of the targets. I forgot how accurate this little gun was. It made me look good in front of the Army vet that I brought out. He hadn't shot for a while so I decided to take him along. He said that his old eyes weren't working as well as they used to, but the Shield was dead on. We were shooting the center "C" out like no one's business at 5, 10, and 15 yards. He wants one now lol.

So in this case, I'm packing the same set of rounds as my P320C, but in a much slimmer profile. I will compare against my P320SC at a later time as that also packs 10+1.

Here are the comparison photos with the Shield placed on top of my P320C:

Based on my testing, these are good to go and worth looking into. As usual, I will report updates as they are completed.

Last edited by code_blue; 07-29-2017 at 1:21 PM..
Old 11-06-2016, 6:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the updates!!! Glad to see both Gen 1 & Gen 2 are reliable (so far). Glad I didn't pony up for the Gen 1's a few months ago.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

How are the Gen 2 mags holding up? Thinking of converting some 7's to 9's.

Thanks for all the information op, much appreciated.
Old 11-25-2016, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor*Cal View Post
How are the Gen 2 mags holding up? Thinking of converting some 7's to 9's.

Thanks for all the information op, much appreciated.
They are holding up just fine. I went through another 200 rounds today, but standby.

I received notice that my followers are on recall for possible issues with the batch that my order came from. MG said that I may never experience issues, but they want to swap them out to be sure. I'll need to reset the testing from zero with the replacement followers once they arrive.

I don't know if the current stock was corrected, but if you're going to order and can wait hold off until the replacement followers have been tested to my current standards.

Old 11-25-2016, 6:02 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
I received notice that my followers are on recall for possible issues with the batch that my order came from.
Are these the Gen 2 or Gen 1 followers?

Quote:
Old 11-25-2016, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are these the Gen 2 or Gen 1 followers?

Here's the email with the part numbers and date range:

Quote:
Hello Customer,

We have discovered a problem with some of the followers used in the S&W Shield +1 and +2 conversions recently shipped that may cause reliability issues. Specifically, affected products are part numbers CVN015 and CVN020 ordered between the dates of 10/21/2016 and 11/08/2016.

If you have any of these products that were ordered within the specified time period, please respond to this mail and we will arrange repair or replacement. Include your name and order number (if possible) in the response. Please allow up to three days for us to get back with you.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We remain committed to offering very high quality, innovative, and reliable products.

Best Regards,

Jenny Quiros
Customer Service Representative
jenny@magguts.com
www.magguts.com

Last edited by code_blue; 11-25-2016 at 6:10 PM..