Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-28-2015, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

Check out these slide cuts. Looks great, but IDK the details.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 12-28-2015, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like the work of ATEI
Old 12-28-2015, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
Looks like the work of ATEI
You're right! Under Kristina Dickey

http://ateiguns.com/user-gallery/

Old 01-03-2016, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Default Manual Safety Delete and Cover Plate Mod

Went over to my buddy and fellow Calgunner, chelms24's place for a BBQ and we decided to give the manual safety delete mod a shot.

Popped out the sear assembly then used a crayon to trace out the shape of the safety lever slot. We used that template to cut the rough shape out of the black floppy disk. Make sure you use the thicker of the two halves and cut the shape from the rough textured side (inside of floppy is smooth). Sand the piece to fit.

Safety twists right off of the sear assembly. There is an internet myth that the manual safety is required to keep the sear pin in. It's a lie, FUD, and idiotic paranoia. S&W certified armorers have debunked the myth along with S&W's very own Shield without manual safety being identical in sear assembly design.

Gorilla glued the piece on. We'll see if it holds up. If not, I'll use epoxy next time and will probably add another plate on top of this one, but slightly thinner. The floppy disk material wasn't as thick as I liked.

Slide on:

Test functioned with no issues. Will test fire this weekend and report back on hold the little plate holds up.

Cheers and thanks chelms24 for keeping outdated technology around!

Last edited by code_blue; 07-28-2017 at 1:40 PM..
Old 01-04-2016, 4:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Went over to my buddy and fellow Calgunner, chelms24's place for a BBQ and we decided to give the manual safety delete mod a shot.

Popped out the sear assembly then used a crayon to trace out the shape of the safety lever slot. We used that template to cut the rough shape out of the black floppy disk. Make sure you use the thicker of the two halves and cut the shape from the rough textured side (inside of floppy is smooth). Sand the piece to fit.

Safety twists right off of the sear assembly. There is an internet myth that the manual safety is required to keep the sear pin in. It's a lie, FUD, and idiotic paranoia. S&W certified armorers have debunked the myth along with S&W's very own Shield without manual safety being identical in sear assembly design.

Gorilla glued the piece on. We'll see if it holds up. If not, I'll use epoxy next time and will probably add another plate on top of this one, but slightly thinner. The floppy disk material wasn't as thick as I liked.

Slide on:

Test functioned with no issues. Will test fire this weekend and report back on hold the little plate holds up.

Cheers and thanks chelms24 for keeping outdated technology around!
Looks fantastic. Hopefully the Gorilla glue holds up.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

It won't be long before some one actually has a CAD file for that, for an exact fit, 3D printed or laser cut...nifty mod though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
It won't be long before some one actually has a CAD file for that, for an exact fit, 3D printed or laser cut...nifty mod though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, back before S&W released the Shield w/out manual safety, there were folks across various forums that were going to do that. Even Apex Tactical was considering a delete kit if there was enough interest.

Unfortunately, after S&W released the new Shield, the plans went kaputz and everyone stopped caring. Only we in CA are stuck with the manual safety. Everyone else has the option to buy the version without.

Unless a CA member with CAD experience and a 3D printer were to answer the call, it is unlikely that this will be produced. The market is slim and it is generally an aesthetic modification. For me, it was a must so I did it.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 AM

nice mods. if you are looking for a thicker material for the safety delete cover, you might want to try ABS plastic. you can get it in any thickness you want from tap plastics, and i believe they will sell you a very small piece so it will be really cheap. most tap plastic locations have a scrap bin where you can get a small sheet for less than $1.

another option would be to glue two pieces of the floppy disk plastic together. i am not sure what material the floppy disk plastic is, but if it is ABS you can glue it together using acetone (nail polish remover)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
nice mods. if you are looking for a thicker material for the safety delete cover, you might want to try ABS plastic. you can get it in any thickness you want from tap plastics, and i believe they will sell you a very small piece so it will be really cheap. most tap plastic locations have a scrap bin where you can get a small sheet for less than $1.

another option would be to glue two pieces of the floppy disk plastic together. i am not sure what material the floppy disk plastic is, but if it is ABS you can glue it together using acetone (nail polish remover)

Thanks, Boopie. All I found for 3 1/2" floppies were that they were made out of "hard plastic" while the older, 5 1/2" floppies were Mylar plastic. Nothing definite for the 3 1/2".

I considered doubling up on the floppy material, but it is slightly too thick combined. If this mod fails and the piece pops off, I'll likely cut another piece and sand one part down until the combined thickness is ideal then reapply with epoxy.

I'll be test firing this weekend and will report back after.

Thanks to everyone for subscribing and participating thus far.

Old 01-06-2016, 2:30 PM

if you put a drop of acetone on the floppy disk plastic, you'll find out really fast whether or not it is ABS, as it will almost instantly melt the surface of the plastic and turn the acetone into a milky black, slightly sticky substance. if it's not ABS, the acetone will stay clear and just sit there until you wipe it off.
Old 01-06-2016, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

I'll give it a try. Place the two pieces together and the sticky stuff acts like glue? It'll dry and fuse, yes?

Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Default Update and Front Sight Color Change

Ok, Gorilla glue held through 150 rounds of Miwall 124 gr 9mm reloads. Good to go!

I also ended up really liking the Sig P320's Trijicon HD sights in yellow. I found that it was more precise and didn't blur as much as the orange. Additionally, the yellow "popped" better in darker light conditions where the orange was harder to see. I decided to redo the front sights of my other test pistols to mimic the yellow color.

I went to Kohl's and bought "Tennis Ball Yellow", "Black Licorice", and "Snow White", nail polish colors to test. I used black to redo the rear sights since the Sharpie black had a purple-ish tint to it; much better now.

Control: Sig P320 with Trijicon HD Yellow

Shield:

HK P2000

Ruger SP101. Since the front sight post was black, I painted on a base coat of white first then applied the color coat. I found that orange was better suited for the stainless steel sight picture.

Side project: The P2000 pictured here is not the same P2000 originally posted. I swapped my 9mm variant for the .40 variant because I had too many 9mm pistols and wanted a larger caliber to carry. While waiting for the 10-day, I ordered a few parts to upgrade.

The HK45C Mag Release is a common upgrade in the HK community. I figured, "What the heck, let's try it." The upgrade seriously makes a WORLD of difference. Mag changes are much, much easier now with thumb, index, or middle fingers. Manipulating with my off-hand was a breeze as well.

Before:

After:

Also OEM .357 Sig bbl for multi-caliber carry. I plan on carrying Underwood's hot, hot 1500+ FPS 125gr Gold Dot rounds.

Last edited by code_blue; 03-17-2016 at 2:46 PM..
Old 01-15-2016, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

Sent more rounds down range today. Oddly, the only thing to fail so far from my Shield project was the Talon grips. Tsk tsk. Sending an email to Talon about this.

On the bright side, the P2000 performed flawlessly. .357 Sig was a hoot to shoot. It handled both .40 and .357 Sig no problem; very controllable. Not as good as my P229, but still good.

EDIT: QA from Talon
http://talongungrips.com/faq.html

Q How long do your grips last?
A We guarantee that our grips will last 90 days. If the instructions are followed correctly, these grips can last years (depending upon use, storage, etc).

Not even 90 days, but it's obviously a wear and tear item so I won't bother to contact them. Experiment yielded a negative result.

Last edited by code_blue; 01-15-2016 at 9:27 PM..
Old 01-15-2016, 9:31 PM
SeƱor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Strange.
I've been carrying mine constantly ever since I picked up my permit.
The grip is constantly rubbing against my side. I was concerned about the tape, but it's been solid.
The only issue was the strips peeled off of the 8rd mags... but I didn't care for those anyways.

I'm wondering if you did not sufficiently heat that part of the grip to fully activate the adhesive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-15-2016, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Strange.
I've been carrying mine constantly ever since I picked up my permit.
The grip is constantly rubbing against my side. I was concerned about the tape, but it's been solid.
The only issue was the strips peeled off of the 8rd mags... but I didn't care for those anyways.

I'm wondering if you did not sufficiently heat that part of the grip to fully activate the adhesive?
I did. Followed instructions and tips accordingly. I didn't take a photo but that particular section seemed to have less glue than the rest of the grip.

Not a big deal since it's about a $10-12 part.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

That's pretty normal for me with Talon Grips too, in the exact same spot (right hand shooter). Even happens on my Glocks with the granulate. It's not just that the adhesive has to stick to a textured surface but that the heel of grip must see some weird forces during grip and recoil. It's sticks like a champ everywhere else.

I never expected them to last forever anyway, so I look at them as wear items and replace when necessary. I always buy them 2 at a time.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Any updates as to flawless rounds through the may gut magazines?
Old 01-16-2016, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet4lifeOC View Post
Any updates as to flawless rounds through the may gut magazines?
Yes, each update involved shooting the shield with MG internals. Still no malfunctions of any kind. I did my best to try a different type of FMJ and HP each time I went.

I even tried the reduced power 100gr powerballs, Winchesters, and Hornady lights. One box each, no issues.

Old 01-16-2016, 7:57 PM

I'm not a fan of the LCI, but I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't see it as any worse than any other LCI. In all honesty, if you have a shield, you probably have it for carry, and if god forbid you have to use it it will be at distances you can probably reach out and put your hand on your attacker. But to each their own. Personally, for those of you who didn't just win a shield and intend to drop this kind of money, why not just buy a more expensive gun that you don't have to do anything to?
Old 01-16-2016, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Some people like the Shield or it's a pistol that fits their price range and ergo. As you can see from the sample of my other pistols listed, the Shield would've been my lowest cost pistol even IF I had purchased it.

So to your point about buying a more expensive gun, that's exactly what I did, but I still end up modifying those pistols to suit me best. That being said, I liked the Shield so much that I'm hunting for the M&P9c and I'd likely still modify it.

Old 01-16-2016, 9:41 PM
SeƱor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soginator View Post
Personally, for those of you who didn't just win a shield and intend to drop this kind of money, why not just buy a more expensive gun that you don't have to do anything to?
Because there is precious little on the roster in single-stack 9mm and 380 that are also small enough to conceal well.

The Shield has the same outline as the baby Glock, but is much thinner.
I have no problems printing with the 8(9)rd mag in the Shield unless my shirt is a lighter color or I'm not wearing an overshirt.

Many other single stack 9 and 380 are a fair amount larger.
Am I a big enough guy to carry a 92FS concealed? Probably.
Does the Shield make life a lot easier? Absolutely.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:06 AM

I got my first Shield a little over a year ago. Pulled the DC , polished the internals especially the plunger and shaft, added rubber Talon grips , removed and acetoned all color off lci then replaced. Runs somewhere in the 3lb trigger pull over 1,500 rounds without a hiccup. My wife and daughter now have both bought shields , had me do the same set-up running great. Only makes me wish I had got a M&P40 when I could.
Old 01-17-2016, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

You still can! MP9's are on back order but MP40's are readily available. I have read on various forums that the 9mm bbl will lock up no problem to the 40 slide. I have not tried it myself, but maybe that should be the next experiment.

Old 01-17-2016, 9:46 PM
SeƱor Member

Quote:
You still can! MP9's are on back order but MP40's are readily available. I have read on various forums that the 9mm bbl will lock up no problem to the 40 slide. I have not tried it myself, but maybe that should be the next experiment.
Caliber conversions are a problem for many counties for CCW.
Mine will only allow the DOJ-Registered caliber.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2016, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Caliber conversions are a problem for many counties for CCW.
Mine will only allow the DOJ-Registered caliber.
I was advised by a fellow CGNer that his county did the same thing, but that was because they were new to the situation.

My county generally allows whatever you qual with including multi-caliber per pistol line item.

The neighboring county allows their community to fill up the front and back of their permits with pistols so long as it fits the paper.

Yet, another neighboring county is a No Issue county.

Old 01-18-2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Sent more rounds down range today. Oddly, the only thing to fail so far from my Shield project was the Talon grips. Tsk tsk. Sending an email to Talon about this.

On the bright side, the P2000 performed flawlessly. .357 Sig was a hoot to shoot. It handled both .40 and .357 Sig no problem; very controllable. Not as good as my P229, but still good.

EDIT: QA from Talon
http://talongungrips.com/faq.html

Q How long do your grips last?
A We guarantee that our grips will last 90 days. If the instructions are followed correctly, these grips can last years (depending upon use, storage, etc).

Not even 90 days, but it's obviously a wear and tear item so I won't bother to contact them. Experiment yielded a negative result.
I had those exact same talon grips on my shield some time ago and they came off in the EXACT same spot. I ended up cutting that little square off but it always bothered me
Old 01-18-2016, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaiden66 View Post
I had those exact same talon grips on my shield some time ago and they came off in the EXACT same spot. I ended up cutting that little square off but it always bothered me
Lol. I tried that, but just ripped the whole thing off after. The differences in valleys were enough to annoy me. The separation or ledge between the talon and the upper frame were enough to annoy me also.

I guess it's time to send my Shield over to ya like originally planned. Probably in the next month or so. I need to renew my permit first. I may have my P2000 sent to you also as I'm starting to find that it can get slippery.

Old 01-18-2016, 9:56 PM

Orange County CCW holders, how legal is it to modify the LCI and mag springs? From what I'm reading on the terms of license acknowledgement, we can't modify anything at all?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Orange County CCW holders, how legal is it to modify the LCI and mag springs? From what I'm reading on the terms of license acknowledgement, we can't modify anything at all?
You'll have to confirm with your IA, but post that question here:

OC CCW Forum

GL

Old 01-19-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Decided to contact OCSD directly instead of rely on forums. For anyone who is concerned, the answer I got back is that the lci block counts as a frame modification and is not allowed, but the spring modification for the magazine is good to go as long as it remains 10 rounds or less. If anyone would like a copy of this email I can screen shot it and send it to you. Just send me a pm.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Well, back before S&W released the Shield w/out manual safety, there were folks across various forums that were going to do that. Even Apex Tactical was considering a delete kit if there was enough interest.

Unfortunately, after S&W released the new Shield, the plans went kaputz and everyone stopped caring. Only we in CA are stuck with the manual safety. Everyone else has the option to buy the version without.

Unless a CA member with CAD experience and a 3D printer were to answer the call, it is unlikely that this will be produced. The market is slim and it is generally an aesthetic modification. For me, it was a must so I did it.
id be willing to give it a try,
I have a 3d printer and a waterjet that can cut any kind of plastic. however I am wondering if a 3d printed part could be slide in and be a non permanent part that drops in without the need for adhesive to make the modification reversible. If anyone is interested in working this out and has a shield to provide dimensions let me know. It would help if our int he socal area.
Old 01-19-2016, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89LT1 View Post
id be willing to give it a try,
I have a 3d printer and a waterjet that can cut any kind of plastic. however I am wondering if a 3d printed part could be slide in and be a non permanent part that drops in without the need for adhesive to make the modification reversible. If anyone is interested in working this out and has a shield to provide dimensions let me know. It would help if our int he socal area.
That'd be great! It'd have to be pretty tight to not require an adhesive considering the energy transferred through the pistol, but who knows.

Go get em and post back. I'll gladly buy and test for all.

Old 03-17-2016, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

Alright, carrying it daily with multiple range trips. Floppy disk is holding strong and has caused zero issues.

MG parts are good to go. Zero malfunctions still. I did swap the OEM floorplate for the MG one just to have a bit of extra space when seating with +1 in the chamber with the flush mag. It wasn't needed, but it was just easier. I still don't like the MG floorplate with the extended mags so I'll leave the OEM floorplates in there.

I ended up liking the S&W platform so much that I went and bought the Shield's older brother:

First order of business is to remove the MDC. I have the "H" trigger bar assembly and slide stop with hump on their way (Delivered as of today actually). It's to update to the more audible and tactile reset as with the newer, revamped M&P line which mimics the Shield trigger. Nail polish mod already done lol.

Last edited by code_blue; 03-17-2016 at 2:52 PM..
Old 03-18-2016, 8:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I like mine the way it is. If I ever wanted to do that much aftermarket work on a semi-auto pistol, I would start with a better gun than the $350 Shield.

BTW, Mag Commander sells the Shield mags for $21.
Old 03-18-2016, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

I started with a free shield and mags, but you've missed the point of the thread. This was a testing gun with posted information so others can decide if the modifications are worth it to them.

I can't seem to think of any readily available CA compliant 9mm single stack pistol that is "better" than a Shield. The P238 is almost twice the cost, doesn't have the same aftermarket support, and is in .380.

I have what, 3(?) aftermarket mods on it, all of which are functional. That's hardly "that much".

Old 03-18-2016, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

^^^ Thanks for the info OP. About how many rounds through the Mag Gut magazines now? Glad to see it has been flawless.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomedic View Post
^^^ Thanks for the info OP. About how many rounds through the Mag Gut magazines now? Glad to see it has been flawless.

Estimated 800-900 rounds. Mostly Miwall 125 gr reloads with occasional new Federal range ammo. Mixed HP rounds ranging from 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense, 135 gr Hornady Critical Duty, 100 gr Powerball, and 124 gr Gold Dots (my preference).

Other members here have the MG parts installed also. I'm sure that they can chime in. Cokebottle is one member and IDK if P5 got his or not yet.

That additional round can be the difference in a life threatening situation. Seconds matter and trying to reload quickly and efficiently under duress is one of the factors.

That's what people are forgetting when they say that they'd rather just buy another mag. Well, I already carry two spare extended mags with the MG parts. I'm not going to find a way to carry even more on my person. Maybe in my car or other auxiliary location.

If I needed even more rounds, I'd just carry a bigger gun, which I do when the circumstances permit. 31 rounds of Underwood 125 gr .357 Sig rated at 1500 FPS is plenty given the CA civilian capacity limitations.

Old 03-18-2016, 6:34 PM
SeƱor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomedic View Post
I've run maybe 300rds of Federal 147 JHP through my carry and backup mags.

Backup mag is the extended, so it's got 9rds, only one shy of the G26. Carry mag is the flush "7rd" so it's nice having 8.

I also put the MG kit in the Kahr P380 and have had no issues that can't be attributed to the "new" P380.
Planning to put another 200 through it tomorrow.

Quote:

Last edited by Cokebottle; 03-18-2016 at 6:38 PM..
Old 03-18-2016, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

^^^ Good to know. Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated on the P380 maguts as well. I like the P380.
Old 03-18-2016, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

MG is making springs for the .40 Shield also. Dunno when it'll be released though.