Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-03-2016, 7:37 PM

Default Light up my G19

I tried searching in the light section, but it doesn't seem like that part of the forum gets any traffic so I'll post here. I recently won a G19 through a raffle (thank you Gunfighter Tactical in Miramar, CA), and unexpectedly, I've got the butterflies for it, which is odd because I am a huge 1911 guy. But to the point. My birthday is coming up and I always treat myself with a little present every year. I would like a weapon light for the G19.

I know, I know... google is your friend, do research, blah blah blah. And I did. I've narrowed it down to 3 different lights I'm also thinking I might want a laser too but not sure about that yet. I narrowed it down to these three because I want them compact and don't like the look of the protruding lights (streamlight & inforce)

Help me choose one, and why:

1) Surefire XC1

2) Crimson Trace Rail Master PRO

3) Viridian C5L

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by soulbyte; 12-05-2016 at 8:07 PM.. Reason: Post up you Weapon Lights and Lasers
Old 12-03-2016, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on the G19, have fun.
Old 12-03-2016, 7:48 PM

Thanks Brananski!
Old 12-03-2016, 7:57 PM

If money is no object I would go XC1. Quality and performance is better than anything out there and it fits the weapon nicely.

My preference is the Inforce APL. I really like the way they look in Glocks.. but aside from that nonsense I've had really good luck with them and think they are a great light that is bright and reliable.
I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor. -- Mahatma Ghandi
Old 12-03-2016, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

I really like the flushed look of compact glock and XC1
Old 12-03-2016, 9:47 PM

XC1 , since it was made for the 19 it looks pretty sharp.
Old 12-03-2016, 9:58 PM

I have the XC1. Like others have said, the combo looks real sleek.
Old 12-04-2016, 7:42 AM

Looks like I'm going with the Xc1. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2016, 7:50 AM

The Crimson Trace is "only" 100 lumens. The Viridian, I believe, is a green laser, so you would pay for the laser in order to get the light. I'd pick the Surefire, but Streamlight is good, too. I had a Streamlight XL-1 which got stolen. I'll take a hard look at the Surefire and the newest compact Streamlight.

I keep a Sig P229 in the nightstand and really like having a light on it. Gotta replace the stolen one.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 12-04-2016, 8:01 AM

Between those three, XC1 hands down. $210ish on the B.H. Photo site.

Although in my opinion for actual use, an x300 is brighter and better for extreme close quarters ccw type shooting (creates a small gap for the muzzle -- whatever that term is called) while being cheaper than an XC1.
Old 12-04-2016, 8:23 AM

XC-1.. had an Inforce on my 19 and it looked good. The XC-1 is just perfect on a g19.
Old 12-04-2016, 8:51 AM

I really wish the XC1 had a laser on it. The Crimson Trace Railmaster Pro is a definitely getting some thoughts too.
Old 12-04-2016, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulbyte View Post
I really wish the XC1 had a laser on it. The Crimson Trace Railmaster Pro is a definitely getting some thoughts too.
You could always buy one of those laser guide rods. Seem pricey though.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:04 PM

I've been playing with an XC1 on my Glock 19. It's been pretty solid so far and Surefire products have never disappointed me. I have a couple of X300s on some other guns with DG switches along with a TLR-1 with a remote switch. I just like having remote switches on my gun mounted lights. However with the XC1 (which does not have a remote switch option) I've found that the light is easy to operate with my support side thumb or my trigger finger with no issues.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:13 PM

Any user comments on the Streamlight TLR-3, which is their most compact light? (Yes, I've read some of the internet chatter about the mount breaking, but many say that is due to overtightening of it. The company recommends just using a coin to tighten but not over tighten. )

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 12-04-2016, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
Any user comments on the Streamlight TLR-3, which is their most compact light? (Yes, I've read some of the internet chatter about the mount breaking, but many say that is due to overtightening of it. The company recommends just using a coin to tighten but not over tighten. )
I own a TLR-1 and bought a TLR-3 as a gift. Comparing them, the first thing I noticed was the size (obviously) and the second was the vast difference in product build quality. The TLR-3 just feels cheap whereas the TLR-1 feels as sturdy as the gun it goes on (Sig P226).

The TLR-3 could be as well-built as the TLR-1 and do quite well in the real-world, but my spidey-sense says it won't.
Old 12-04-2016, 1:41 PM

Trl2-hl
Old 12-04-2016, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklincollector View Post
Trl2-hl
Huh????

Old 12-05-2016, 8:14 AM

I know you said no protruding lights but I still recommend the Streamlight TLR-1 HL. 800 lumens for $120. It is so bright it will melt a home invader and you won't even have to pull the trigger. I own two and put them through seriously regular abuse with never a single issue. I refuse to purchase overpriced surefire products when streamlight offers a superior product for less money. They're also local to San Diego. I've actually never had an issue ever over my 10 years of using streamlights. All of them still work like new.
Old 12-05-2016, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Huh????
he's referring to streamlight's tlr-2 hl version
800 lumens + laser.
Old 12-05-2016, 8:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i guess ill be the lone guy preferring the viridian c5l. its not as flush as the xc1 but then again i dont carry the c5l, i use it as my bedside gun. anything brighter than 100 lumens in the dead of night is overkill imo.

im looking to simply identify my target and with the laser/light combo i can sufficiently identify and put rounds on a target in my home.
Old 12-05-2016, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
I know you said no protruding lights but I still recommend the Streamlight TLR-1 HL. 800 lumens for $120. It is so bright it will melt a home invader and you won't even have to pull the trigger. I own two and put them through seriously regular abuse with never a single issue. I refuse to purchase overpriced surefire products when streamlight offers a superior product for less money. They're also local to San Diego. I've actually never had an issue ever over my 10 years of using streamlights. All of them still work like new.
Streamlight makes good stuff. Just my two cents, but while the TLR-1s I had was admittedly easier to activate than a Surefire and it served me well for thousands of rounds, there's no comparison in quality if you hold an x300 in one hand and the Streamlight in the other. The Surefire is a tank by comparison and just feels far tougher. Probably far more durable than any degree that I will realistically need it to be for my uses, but it's a nice reassurance.

But yes if you are on a budget, the TLR series will serve you well. But I can honestly say I chose the TLR-1 for price at the time and wound up spending more money just buying Surefire products later on.
Old 12-05-2016, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

I know its not on your List but i have a Tlr1s and Ive left it on my G19 since i bought it. They are durable and bright and take a beating. When i got to range i leave it on as well, not sure if others take theirs off but i leave it in no matter what. And i bought mine used years ago. Best light i think.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

I chose the XC1 for my G19 because it has the smallest profile, which makes it perfect for ccw. I also like that it runs on a common AAA battery.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:

i have a tlr3 on my nightstand gun sig sp2022 and on a compact p320. haven't had any problems with them and although may not be the brightest feel it's sufficient for my use.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Huh????
tlr2-hl. My fault. I've had one for a few years, stupid bright and very well made.
Old 12-05-2016, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robledo View Post
Streamlight makes good stuff. Just my two cents, but while the TLR-1s I had was admittedly easier to activate than a Surefire and it served me well for thousands of rounds, there's no comparison in quality if you hold an x300 in one hand and the Streamlight in the other. The Surefire is a tank by comparison and just feels far tougher. Probably far more durable than any degree that I will realistically need it to be for my uses, but it's a nice reassurance.

But yes if you are on a budget, the TLR series will serve you well. But I can honestly say I chose the TLR-1 for price at the time and wound up spending more money just buying Surefire products later on.
Is that based on anything other than perception? If the Streamlight worked for thousands of rounds, does the Surefire offer anything other than a bigger price tag? I'm really asking, not trying to be a jerk.

Something else to consider for a weapon light is blinding oneself when you turn it on. If I turned on my Streamlight TLR1 (not HL) in the middle of the night after I just stumbled out of bed, the light reflecting off the wall would blind the **** out of me. I would suggest turning on any light you use when your eyes are totally adjusted to the dark. Just to see how it affects your vision at varying distances and surfaces. That's why I'm not too concerned about having the very highest light output possible.

Leave the light unattached on your night stand and use it to find the bathroom one night. It's an eye opening experience. Pun intended. I also have a good handheld light so I don't have to wave a gun around to identify anything.
Old 12-05-2016, 2:46 PM
Veteran Member

xc1 or inforce apl. apl is a lot cheaper, but it has parasitic battery drain.
Old 12-05-2016, 3:49 PM

C5-L It fits great the green laser is really hi vis and the controls are and easy reach
Old 12-05-2016, 4:04 PM

I have the XC-1 and though it looks good the controls are kind of weird. The temporary need a little more force than I like, and the always on is on the wrong side (for a lefty like me). It sits on my 19 still since it's my girlfriend's beside anyway and she's right handed.
Old 12-05-2016, 8:04 PM

WOW! Thanks for all the input guys. To be completely honest. I run the trl-1 on a my 1911 and love it. I like the tr-1 and believe the HL version is the best bang for the buck. I've tried the trl1 and like the look. That being said the main reason for the three choices above is for carry. I want the smallest package possible, that, and I already carry a 1100 lumen Thrunite TN12 with me at night. That thing lights up way past 100 yards easy.

I did end up purchasing the Surefire last night for around $230 shipped. I expect it to be delivered tomorrow as I went with expedited shipping. The tipping factors for me was mainly size, the AAA battery, and the flood of light it produces rather than hot spot. I am however experiencing a little buyers remorse as I'm not really sure the price tag is justified. I guess we will see.

I really appreciate all the input. I know at one point or another others will be looking for the same info. I would like to keep this thread going.

Please post up pictures of your weapon lights and a brief description on why you chose it. It will also help others with the same gun to see how that particular light fits. I know there are other threads out there explaining the same but I didn't find one on Calguns.

Last edited by soulbyte; 12-05-2016 at 8:08 PM..
Old 12-05-2016, 8:13 PM

First off, congrats on your glock 19. You will like it despite being a 1911 guy. Secondly, if its worth anything these days, i work for a police department and i prefer the surefire for a weapon light. I carry a glock 21sf on duty but the light i choose to use is a surefire. Yes the TRL is less expensive, but i find the surefire light to a better overall light. I think you made a good decision and you definitely will not regret it. I carry my glock 19 off duty and it is by far my most versatile handgun.

Just FYI, i find mine is the most accurate with 124 grain JHP. It does well with 115 and the 147 grainers, but for some reason i get just a hair better accuracy from 124 grains.
Old 12-05-2016, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonBear723 View Post
First off, congrats on your glock 19. You will like it despite being a 1911 guy. Secondly, if its worth anything these days, i work for a police department and i prefer the surefire for a weapon light. I carry a glock 21sf on duty but the light i choose to use is a surefire. Yes the TRL is less expensive, but i find the surefire light to a better overall light. I think you made a good decision and you definitely will not regret it. I carry my glock 19 off duty and it is by far my most versatile handgun.

Just FYI, i find mine is the most accurate with 124 grain JHP. It does well with 115 and the 147 grainers, but for some reason i get just a hair better accuracy from 124 grains.
Thank you CinnamonBear! I've always toyed with the idea of getting a G19 but it has always took a back seat to other guns I decided to purchase instead. Fortunately, when I finally got serious about buying one I won one and I can't be any happier with the 19. The 1911 and the glock are two different animals. But I now better understand the cult following for both and respect both platforms even more.

Thanks for easing my mind over the XC1 purchase. If it's tested well with the boys in blue, it's definitely good enough for me. Also, thanks for the ammo tip. I shoot 124 grain for competition so I have a bunch laying around, maybe a box or two of 147 and a bunch of 115 also. I'll bring all three to range with me this weekend. But I do agree that I've had most success with 124 in all of my 9mm's.

Last edited by soulbyte; 12-05-2016 at 8:39 PM..
Old 12-07-2016, 10:58 AM

So it's here! And, it was worth it. Thanks for all the input guys!

Old 12-07-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulbyte View Post
So it's here! And, it was worth it. Thanks for all the input guys!

Ew a glock!

Haha, looks good with the extended base plate. Plans for more mods?
Old 12-07-2016, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokehshooter View Post
Ew a glock!

Haha, looks good with the extended base plate. Plans for more mods?

I would like to get a vortex viper on it and I think that might be it. Want to use it for carry optics division and maybe some fun club shoots.

Old 12-07-2016, 3:55 PM

Vongrats on the Glock! Looking good!