Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:32 PM

Default Guncrafter Industry vs Wilson - cosmetics

Hi again.

OK. After that last thread I greatly appreciate everyone's comments. I'm leaning toward the guncrafter. Everyone who commented on it said "Make it like Rhykke's" or something like that.

I'm thinking of going the opposite direction...

I think Rhykke's simple black, no FCS is gorgeous. A work of art. I'm thinking of going more ... flamboyant?

I was thinking either all silver or two-tone with "Texas BBQ" engraving.
I attached images from Guncrafter and from Wilson.
I'm leaning toward it because ... I already have a black gun and this looks kind of awesome!

Let me know what you think!
Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guncrafter.jpg (97.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ-Grade-2_RS0216.jpg (96.5 KB, 237 views)
Old 10-26-2016, 1:21 PM

Personally id never have writing added to a firearm and texas bbq in particular looks like it would get old fast but the rest of the engraving looks amazing, i especially like the frame work on the second pic around the magazine release and magwell id definitely get engraving. Personally im not a fan of two tone guns.
Old 10-26-2016, 2:04 PM

Oh yeah almost for sure no words, just the engraving. I figure this is a once in a lifetime purchase (guncrafter vs wilson) and if I'm going to select options why not "go for it." Mostly I was thinking about the engraving. I was thinking probably all silver, possibly two tone. So you think the engraving is cool, huh?
Keith
Old 10-26-2016, 2:10 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

First question I have, is what is on the roster? What are the mechanics of getting a custom pistol from GI or Wilson now that SSE1 is over - do you DROS whatever you can, then send it back for the work after you get it out of jail?

Old 10-26-2016, 2:22 PM

Don't be jealous ... I'm from MI. My Dad could buy a gun and if I were a good son he could gift it to me or something like that even if it is off roster. It's a bit of a hassle having my Dad buy it in MI and then gifting to me but it is legal, so the roster isn't a deal breaker (!).
Old 10-26-2016, 2:23 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post
Don't be jealous ... I'm from MI. My Dad could buy a gun and if I were a good son he could gift it to me or something like that even if it is off roster. It's a bit of a hassle having my Dad buy it in MI and then gifting to me but it is legal, so the roster isn't a deal breaker (!).
My dad send me guns from OK, so I get it. But $5k is some special gift...

Old 10-26-2016, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah almost for sure no words, just the engraving. I figure this is a once in a lifetime purchase (guncrafter vs wilson) and if I'm going to select options why not "go for it." Mostly I was thinking about the engraving. I was thinking probably all silver, possibly two tone. So you think the engraving is cool, huh?
Keith
Yeah the engraving is amazing imo. Id either go all stainless or all blued if they can do a high end, high polished bluing. Personally ive always had a thing for all stainless, engraved 1911's. I agree if its once in a lifetime purchase to go for it. I also think Wilson has the greater cachet for whatever thats worth.
Old 10-26-2016, 4:24 PM

Hi. I Meant gift in the sense I could have him buy it but pay for it and have him gift it to me if he chose.
Old 10-26-2016, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Those pictures aren't fair to the guncrafter. Wilson probably has a full time photographer on staff with a room full of crap to put in the background. Guncrafter is less flashy with their marketing, but that gun is IMO sexier than the Wilson.

Unless Im seeing that weird smoothed over area on the middle serrations wrong. I assumed that was left that way so you could like "insert your own text here"

Oh and a TX BBQ Gun for somebody whose never lived in TX is kinda lame. See if they will rebadge it for you if you do end up going with the Wilson.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

I Hate California.
Old 10-26-2016, 5:33 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

now that we know you are going after a more "bbq" gun, I would actually recommend wilson more. they have a much longer list of customizations to help make your gun really specially. for example barrel hood fluting, etc.

Here is my highly customized wilson -- turnbull bluing, delete model designation, ball end mill cuts, nitre blue small parts, flush slide stop post, flush cut and reverse crown barrel, and a bunch of others I forget.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
now that we know you are going after a more "bbq" gun, I would actually recommend wilson more. they have a much longer list of customizations to help make your gun really specially. for example barrel hood fluting, etc.

Here is my highly customized wilson -- turnbull bluing, delete model designation, ball end mill cuts, nitre blue small parts, flush slide stop post, flush cut and reverse crown barrel, and a bunch of others I forget.

Beautiful gun. I love that pop of blue.

Also whatever you do OP get that fluting around the chamber from your second pick.
Old 10-27-2016, 6:50 AM

Hi everyone. So I received an estimate from guncrafter. The estimate is the same as a Wilson supergrade! Would anyone or would everyone get the Wilson instead?
Old 10-27-2016, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

Flip a coin. Concerning the Supergrade, check this out:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=417494

Page 1, page 5, and page 8

Last edited by CouchOperator; 10-27-2016 at 7:01 AM..
Old 10-27-2016, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

It's your gun and money. Do what makes you happy. If Guncrafters is doing it, the gun won't shoot any worse.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 10-27-2016, 7:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post

Beautiful gun. Love the bluing on the grip screws, but for the money, you'd think they'd at least regulate the clocking on the screws.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 10-27-2016, 8:02 AM

Honored that my name keeps coming up in these threads!

Secondly, if you're going for that more showy style I highly suggest getting a Blue pistol. Wilson does some excellent blueing but Guncrafter's looks really good too. I know my next GI (somehow) would be a clone of my No Name but in blue.

Another thing to consider is if you're going for show, Wilson's name is much bigger than Guncrafter. Some like having the name brand, some like the exclusive unknown brand, so up to you on that side.

It is true that Wilson has a longer menu of cosmetic stuff that can be done.

Ultimately, I would say if the roster is not an issue go with the GI.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calguns77 View Post
Personally id never have writing added to a firearm and texas bbq in particular looks like it would get old fast but the rest of the engraving looks amazing, i especially like the frame work on the second pic around the magazine release and magwell id definitely get engraving. Personally im not a fan of two tone guns.
I could not agree more... it's a beautiful work of art ... why write "Texas BBQ" on it!! To me it's like engraving "john Deere" or "Cummings diesel" or "SF 49ers" on top of an beautiful work of art... IMHO.. it just makes it look less defaces it
Old 12-05-2016, 6:47 AM

Its different strokes....but if it were me.....I would want a Wilson without the 'wilson combat' engraved on the slide...though I like the tasteful wilson emblem on the back of the slide.

Those engraved models look like a presentation piece. You will have to come up with a story for it with everyone you meet and that will get exhausting <grin>, "presented to me, I can't tell you why exactly, its classified"

Its an amazing weapon.....leave the dingle balls off of it.
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", Mike Tyson
Old 12-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
... I think Rhykke's simple black, no FCS is gorgeous. A work of art. I'm thinking of going more ... flamboyant?

I was thinking either all silver or two-tone with "Texas BBQ" engraving.
I attached images from Guncrafter and from Wilson.
I'm leaning toward it because ... I already have a black gun and this looks kind of awesome!

Let me know what you think!
Keith
Keith, I like the Texas BBQ gun. Everyone should have a handgun worthy of showing off. I got a S&W Model 29 with my name engraved on it in gold.