Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Default Why dros a rifle if there's no registration to DOJ?

I'm sorry inadvance if this doesn't make sense, or is a dumb question, but I wanted to know why people are always so quick to want to dros a longarm/rifle when selling or buying them .. I mean, from my understanding only guns and not rifles get registered to the DOJ during the dros process.... So if rifles are not registered, why does everyone bug on doing the dros process when buying / selling them here in Ca...My question is more for ppt's rather than new store purchases...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:25 AM

Because its the law.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 AM

Ok, so you do have to have a record of sale... Sorry for the ignorance...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Get caught, and you're screwed. That's why it's called "illegal".
Old 04-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

The process is to assure that you are not a person prohibited from owning a firearm.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just as everyone has said. It's to also do a background check on the buyer.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
The process is to assure that you are not a person prohibited from owning a firearm.
Well I guess this is part of my nonunderstanding , how is anyone ever going to know if the rifle is not registered to his/her name to any government agency...So the dros is not just a record of sale, theres more too it..
Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

DROS is a background check buddy.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 PM

Ok I knew that, let the flaming begin, got caughtt up with dros dealer of record sale title...
Old 04-20-2013, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

If only it were a background check then a customer could add as many long guns as they could afford on the tenth day.

Old 04-20-2013, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

in 8 months the law changes & you have rifle registration in CALIF., happy now?
Old 04-20-2013, 2:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
If only it were a background check then a customer could add as many long guns as they could afford on the tenth day.
It's really a backround check and 'some' FFLs will let you add a second rifle on the 10th day. I say 'Some'. I've done it many times. Even Riflegear will put down 4 longguns on a one gun rifle DROS incase to decide to add a couple more on pick up day.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-20-2013, 2:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Incorrect, it is the law and it does not have to make sense. For the Feds, you can add firearms until it is finally signed. CA has a different way, perhaps due to wanting more money or because they have a problem with writing laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
It's really a backround check and 'some' FFLs will let you add a second rifle on the 10th day. I say 'Some'. I've done it many times. Even XXX will put down 4 longguns on a one gun rifle DROS incase to decide to add a couple more on pick up day.
There are issues with doing this and due to that it is not really a good idea to post that places are doing it. If you look at the bottom of the DROS, above where you sign it, it says:

Quote:
By signing this document, I hereby certify under penalty of perjury that the information provided is true and correct.
If they are putting down a different number of firearms than what is really being transferred, then the information is not true and correct and they might be guilty of perjury.

There are also other laws, like the PC section which says that there is a 10 day waiting period after selling a firearm, which is violated when an additional firearm is added and transferred before 10 days.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It happens, but DOJ and ATF frown upon the practice.
/thread.

ΦΑ
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Just like others said its the law. What if people just started ignoring the laws. Then im sure the feds would have stings to bust you if your either the seller or buyer and take your gun rights away. I know I have passed up on free rifles or good deals on rifles from friends or people i know, because they had no time to go to a dealer with me and dros it. Sometimes I've explained the laws to older folks I know, and said let me know when youll have time to go to a gun dealer with me for a tranfer, and ill be happy to buy or take your rifle then.

It also ensures and gives you proof that you did not illegaly obtain the rifle. Better yet if you dont know the buyer and the rifle ends up being stolen the dros paperwork will definately be helpful in court. Just incase you were somehow arrested. Which would be unlikely unless you confess to a fed that you illegaly obtained that rifle.

But bottomline most calgunners i assume are law abiding gun owners. If asked why do something that is the law even if it is pointless. An obvious response is becaue its the law and we must abide by the law. Otherwise they would just be as criminal as career thugs and thieves.

Ignoring and manipulating gun laws would only lead to more strict gunlaws. Or a good excuse to take our right to bear arms away.
Old 04-25-2013, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
It happens, but DOJ and ATF frown upon the practice.
It is just a CA issue since Federal law allows for adding firearms on the 4473 until it is signed.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-25-2013, 1:26 PM

So, what if it is a bolt action dated 1936? say, like an old Mosin?
Old 04-25-2013, 1:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Longuns 50 years old and older and not sporterized are curio and relic and not subject to dros as long as both seller and buyer have ca id.
Old 04-25-2013, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Longuns 50 years old and older and not sporterized are curio and relic and not subject to dros as long as both seller and buyer have ca id.
That's what I thought but I just thought it should be thrown out there for the thread