Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 01-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
It's "Tube." The R and T are right nexr ro each orhet on rhe keyboatd.

Only time tube feed makes any difference is on a timed transition stage, e.g. AQT. It will have no impact at all for instruction or practice during the class.
Okay, thank you.
Old 01-31-2016, 9:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I will be shooting at the appleseed in Rainbow also.
If my marlin 795 is not ready I will be using a Winchester 190 tube feed.
what will be the reload procedure be for a tube fed rifle?
Brian
Old 02-01-2016, 4:01 PM
Banned

I'm having problems with my Simmons scope click adjustment knobs:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1160279

May just go ahead and order what some of you have recommended- Tech Sights for the Marlin 60.

Later: Purchased the Tech Sight TSM200 for the 60 along with the adjustment tool. Not inexpensive, just shy of $95.00 with tax.

Maybe I will receive it promptly from AdvanceMart through Amazon. I purchased the nice GI sling from them and received it in only two days.

Cheers,

Last edited by ifilef; 02-01-2016 at 4:37 PM..
Old 02-01-2016, 4:49 PM
Banned

Quote:

...To use the Loop Sling, your arm passes through a loop of the sling and is cinched down high above the bicep, as shown here: http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm. Wrapping it around your arm is what we call Hasty Sling. This will quickly become clear at the class.

Pretty sure that I got the sling sheeted correctly. And the link above helped not only with that but with finding the area that actually is used to form the loop.

Thanks for that post, as_rocketman!

Last edited by ifilef; 02-27-2017 at 1:01 PM..
Old 02-01-2016, 8:19 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford63man View Post
I will be shooting at the appleseed in Rainbow also.
If my marlin 795 is not ready I will be using a Winchester 190 tube feed.
what will be the reload procedure be for a tube fed rifle?
Brian
Typically the tubers are given a two-stage loading process. In preparation period, you keep your chamber flag in. The line boss will give a command "Tubers Prep," meaning you can fill the tube, but you don't insert the plunger or chamber a round.

When you get the actual "Load" command, you finish the job -- insert and lock plunger, pull chamber flag, and rack the bolt to chamber the first round.

It's not a big deal. You'll get it quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifilef View Post
I'm having problems with my Simmons scope click adjustment knobs:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1160279

May just go ahead and order what some of you have recommended- Tech Sights for the Marlin 60.

Later: Purchased the Tech Sight TSM200 for the 60 along with the adjustment tool. Not inexpensive, just shy of $95.00 with tax.

Maybe I will receive it promptly from AdvanceMart through Amazon. I purchased the nice GI sling from them and received it in only two days.

Cheers,
The Marlin variant of Tech Sights doesn't actually need the tool, though it does make it easier. (The Ruger 10/22 variant almost requires the tool.) Yeah, not cheap, but they're decent. My LTR still has them.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 PM
Banned

Sent the Simmons off for repair.

I look forward to receiving the Tech Sights for the 60. Perhaps I wouldn't have purchased the tool for it, but I never would've guessed that adjustment of that particular Tech Sight would be easier than the one for the 10/22. No big deal, $9.99, I'll take that which makes it somewhat easier and less frustrating and will have an additional 'selling point' if I part with the Tech Sights down the road.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:04 AM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Typically the tubers are given a two-stage loading process. In preparation period, you keep your chamber flag in. The line boss will give a command "Tubers Prep," meaning you can fill the tube, but you don't insert the plunger or chamber a round.

When you get the actual "Load" command, you finish the job -- insert and lock plunger, pull chamber flag, and rack the bolt to chamber the first round.

It's not a big deal. You'll get it quickly.
Is sufficient time given to insert the cartridges into the tube before giving of the Load Command? Will some kind of improvised (straw) or commercial speed loader be needed?

And as I recall with the Marlin 60, the bolt has to be racked two times in order to chamber the first round. The bolt is half open with Safety ON when cartridges are inserted, Shooter then closes the bolt by releasing it forward but round does not chamber until a full rack back of the charging handle is thereafter made. So if one doesn't do that final full charging of the bolt the firearm will be in Condition 3 (no round in chamber) with the Safety ON.

Last edited by ifilef; 02-02-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Old 02-02-2016, 6:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Pretty sure that I got the sling sheeted correctly. And the link above helped not only with that but with finding the area that actually is used to form the loop.

Thanks for that post, as_rocketman!
Your slings a little off, here's a picture I found in the sling sticky:
sling1024x695_zps26b670e3.jpg
Old 02-02-2016, 6:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Is sufficient time given to insert the cartridges into the tube before giving of the Load Command? Will some kind of improvised (straw) or commercial speed loader be needed?

And as I recall with the Marlin 60, the bolt has to be racked two times in order to chamber the first round. The bolt is half open with Safety ON when cartridges are inserted, Shooter then releases it forward but round does not chamber until a full rack back of the charging handle is thereafter made. So if one doesn't do that final full charging of the bolt the firearm will be in Condition 3 (no round in chamber) with the Safety ON.
You'll have enough time. Rocketman nailed it (as usual), after the official "load" command, you do what you need to do to get the rifle ready to fire. If your gun requires you to rack the bolt twice, then that's what you'll do.

A speed loader will help, or as rocketman said, some straws.
Here's one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/511...-polymer-clear

Last edited by mnichols; 02-02-2016 at 6:47 AM..
Old 02-02-2016, 6:45 AM
Calguns Addict

A buddy and I did the appleseed a few years ago. He earned his rifleman with a Marlin mod 60 scoped.

I brought a centerfire mag fed rifle with a muzzle brake. This was bad news for the folks next to me because we were squished in like sardines about 1.5 feet apart. They were getting quite a lot of grit from the ground blasted at tbem. No scope. The thing that really got me was the constant up, down, up, down. Yes, I could be in better shape but when you're in your 50's all that getting up and down is not what it was in your 20's regardless. You will NEED a 2 point sling and will likely want a scope unless you have bright young eyes. The tube feed does slow you down and make some of the reload drills more complex as you have to do the math on the fly to keep the proper round-equivalent on tap. After my buddy qualified the first day we switched rifles and I got to try the Marlin. I came close but did not qual. My fault, not the gun.

For prep it will help if you can work up to 100 squats, 100 pushups, 100 toe touches and 100 crunches. That's about what a full day of appleseed will be like. When you can do that, then you'll be able to get up and down with ease and not have it hurt your time or your aim. Unless our instructors were just making us do all that for their own amusement.

Last edited by bruss01; 02-02-2016 at 6:55 AM..
Old 02-02-2016, 8:05 AM
CGSSA Leader

Appleseed is a lot more fun than 100 squats / pushups / toe-touches and crunches.

The oldest student I've had on my line so far was 84 years old. Did fine. Take heart.

Old 02-02-2016, 8:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post
Your slings a little off, here's a picture I found in the sling sticky:
Attachment 477823
Okay. I went by the link that was given [http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm] (see attached image where lower right portion of photo shows sling keeper adjustment tab facing towards the rifle) and by a YT video or two. But they all differ.

Was wondering about the flat part of sling keeper existing on the wrong side on mine, but this was consistent with the link that I was given. Since the sling is later twisted one wants the flat part of the sling keeper situated so that if the back of one's support hand comes into contact it will not bite?

Contra to ray-vin link re sling-keeper: (check at 1:32- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL4h...4-SpLw&index=3. This now seems to work better for me, flat part of sling keeper facing bottom of rifle in original sheeting, and in conformity with photo provided in post #48, above. I am also finding it easier to make fine adjustments to tighten forend of sling when my right arm is looped (I am left-handed shooter).

Thanks to mnichols!

Last edited by ifilef; 02-27-2017 at 1:01 PM..
Old 02-02-2016, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Appleseed is a lot more fun than 100 squats / pushups / toe-touches and crunches.

The oldest student I've had on my line so far was 84 years old. Did fine. Take heart.
Right, virtually anyone can "do fine" (aka not have a heart attack or get so bushed you give up and quit) BUT your enjoyment and your score will both benefit if you are accustomed to lots of getting up and down. My exercise is primarily walking and jogging and that may be good for your circulation but it is not the same muscle groups as crawling and wallowing around on the ground, kneeling, and getting up off the ground time and time again. Just passing it along so folks can come as prepared as they think they need to be. And yes it was way more fun, but just as tiring! You will go home knowing you went somewhere and did something.
Old 02-02-2016, 8:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
Right, virtually anyone can "do fine" (aka not have a heart attack or get so bushed you give up and quit) BUT your enjoyment and your score will both benefit if you are accustomed to lots of getting up and down. My exercise is primarily walking and jogging and that may be good for your circulation but it is not the same muscle groups as crawling and wallowing around on the ground, kneeling, and getting up off the ground time and time again. Just passing it along so folks can come as prepared as they think they need to be. And yes it was way more fun, but just as tiring! You will go home knowing you went somewhere and did something.

Thanks for the 'heads-up', bruss01 and others!
Old 02-05-2016, 7:31 PM
Banned

Due to some recent health issues I will not be attending the Feb Rainbow event but I'm now registered for the April one. Looking forward to it!

Thanks, guys!
Old 02-05-2016, 8:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hope you get better soon.
Glad you'll make it up in April.
See you then.
Old 02-05-2016, 8:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post
Hope you get better soon.
Glad you'll make it up in April.
See you then.
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2016, 11:36 PM

Depending on the intensity of the sun I'd recommend a non black stock. My cmmg upper on AR lower was freaking hot after a few minutes in the sun when taking a break or during instruction. That's why all my rifles are non black where ever bare skin can make contact.
Old 02-15-2016, 7:13 AM
CGSSA Leader

The ancients preferred walnut...

Old 03-02-2016, 12:19 PM

Regarding sights and scopes and such...

I shoot a 10/22 with Tech Sights; Tech Sights are great!

What I have found, during my own range time, and also Appleseed(as both a participant and a new instructor), is that progressive bifocal's are awful for shooting with iron sights.

Sometimes I wear contacts, and use dime store reading glasses for reading. I found I shoot much better with my contacts...

When budget allows, I want to get a pair of plain glasses just for shooting...
Old 03-13-2016, 5:46 AM

Default Agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
I just attended my 2nd Appleseed shoot yesterday (Rocketman led both) and I agree with everything you just said. It's not about being in tip-top condition but in getting comfortable with the positions.

I am going to be 63 soon and I AM in terrific shape but a lot of good that does me. Physically, the "good enough" threshold is fairly low. "Appleseed fit" takes practice not exercise. It's about your body molding itself to meet specific demands. How fast you progress depends on how fast you acquire the various foundation and "taking the shot" skills required. It's mostly about focus and discipline. Virtually anyone (except me apparently) can master these skills. The beauty of Appleseed is that most of the skills can be honed at home.

I would like to get my Rifleman badge eventually but it helps to at least know that I am a 4-5 MOA shooter and know what I have to do to get better. The journey is most of the fun.

BTW Rocketman, how many of these meets do I have to attend before you let us know how this Revolutionary War thing worked out? Did we win?

Last edited by Pasadena Phil; 03-13-2016 at 5:50 AM..
Old 03-13-2016, 11:03 PM
CGSSA Leader

Hey Phil,

We talk about things a little later in the story at the Rimfire KD class -- coming up on April 9-10 at Burro Canyon.

However, the Revolution lives on. It doesn't end! Not unless we let it, and as long as it lives, we all win.

See you on the trail!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

There's a stamina aspect to a two day class or match where you're outside doing stuff. I'd say the most important thing is keeping hydrated and having some good snacks frankly. Getting in and out of the positions isn't so much about muscles as doing it without a lot of wasted motion.

Once you do one Appleseed and know what to do you can really get it refined at home or at the range and you'll find there's more time to do the timed stages than you previously thought.

The exception is if you have a big heavy gun you're going to feel it doing the standing work. I did one with a 1950s 13 pound Winchester bolt action just because I'm a glutton for punishment and I was sore by the end. But with something more modern? Not such an issue.
Old 03-17-2016, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Hey Phil,

We talk about things a little later in the story at the Rimfire KD class -- coming up on April 9-10 at Burro Canyon.

However, the Revolution lives on. It doesn't end! Not unless we let it, and as long as it lives, we all win.

See you on the trail!
I hope you realize I was joking. I've been studying the American Revolution for a good 30 years. And there is a great new book that covers some of the tactics you discussed last week:

"Washington's Immortals" by Patrick K O'Donnell.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080...=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

Particularly interesting is how they used those tactics to frustrate General Cornwallis just prior to the battle of Yorktown. If there is one constant in British history, it is their penchant for underestimating their enemies. They never learn.