Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2018, 9:31 AM

Default *** Warning *** About Doing PPT's through Sacramento Gun Club

This is just a quick word of warning concerning doing (Private Party Transfers) at the Sacramento Gun Club facility.

Yesterday I met with a person who had traveled a long distance to do a PPT transaction with me for a handgun that was listed on the Cal-Guns private sale forum. When we went to do the transaction, the SGC sales person asked to see our identification credentials before we started to fill out the (FFL/DROS) paper work. So I pulled out my current CCW permit card and driver's license and handed it over to him. When the SGC sales person looked at my driver's license, he saw where it read "FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY" on the card. This is one of those newly California driver licenses issued by the DMV that will identify you as a USA citizen or not, because we're now considered a sanctuary state according to our local government.

Anyhow, the SGC sales person told me that he was not going to be able to perform the PPT transaction based upon my driver's license, because I was not considered as being a USA citizen. I then pulled out my (USA Passport, SSA card and Birth Certificate). He still than replied that he couldn't proceed with the transaction because DOJ would not except any new photocopy of CA license's that read "FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY" on them even though I had all the proof in the world that I was a fully legal citizen of the United States. I believe that you can't even get a CCW permit through our SAC County Sheriff's office if you're not a valid USA citizen.

Anyways, long story short. We were able to find another local FFL dealer in Rancho Cordova who gladly excepted my current CCW permit card and driver's license as proof of USA citizenship and successfully processed the PPT transaction without a hitch...

So, if you plan on doing any kind of (FFL/DROS) transactions through SGC facility, make sure that your newly issued CA license from DMV dosen't read "FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY" on the card because they'll deny doing business with you!

CA DMV Footnote: You will need a federal compliant card such as a passport, military ID, or REAL ID to board a domestic flight or access some federal facilities beginning October 1, 2020. The DMV started offering REAL ID driver licenses and ID cards on January 22, 2018. A field office visit is required to apply for a REAL ID.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

Many FFL's follow that same procedure. It has been well documented in the FFL forum and other forums that FFL's either ignore it or err on the side of caution.

Is this a PSA or complaint about an FFL?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Per Ca DOJ, they will not accept a license with "Federal Limits Apply" if you are the buyer. The ATF responce is "If the person can prove they are a citizen, passport, birth cert" they are good with the license. The DROS form only accepts. CDL, CA ID or Miltary ID as ID.
Old 08-26-2018, 8:47 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1468982
Old 08-27-2018, 6:02 AM
Veteran Member

This is not exclusive to Sacramento gun Club. Sacramento Gun Club even has signs around the counters that make customers aware. OP should edit his title.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:21 AM

I'm fine with SGC, but they are very risk adverse (which I can respect) on things like this.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Default SGC SUCKS!!! DO NOT GO THERE!!!

Your first mistake was to go to SGC in the first place. They are worse than GFOS.

I went there once for a PPT. It was the worst experience I ever had doing a PPT, took over an hour and we were the first ones in the door at 10am on a Saturday. Rediculous. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing over there. No idea at all. All kinds of made up "laws".

The guy said PPT had to be paid in cash, no credit card, DOJ doesnt allow people to pay PPT with a credit card. Well thats pure horsecrap.

Two groups of guys showed up after us to do PPTs and they were told they were going to have to wait at least an hour before they would be served. There were several idle employees just sitting on their thumbs. They basically told them to go pound sand. Very hostile unfriendly attitude.

SGC does not want your business. Basically anybody that isnt a member IS NOT WELCOME. They are very open about that too. They are real stuckup snobby SOBs.

I will NEVER go there again. No EFFIN way. You couldnt pay me to go there again. Bunch of rank amateurs over there. FUD central.

No offense to their members but they are all total noobs. People that really dont know any better.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-27-2018 at 10:42 AM..
Old 09-12-2018, 8:37 AM

I normally don’t like to bash businesses but I will describe the one and only experience I have had there.

I went to shoot a couple of my handguns thinking wow, nice clean facility nice gun store. All is good. I am assigned a lane and there was an employee sweeping brass when I set up.

I thought he would finish and leave but he swept the ENTIRE time I was as shooting. Like as soon as brass hit the ground he swept. It was annoying and he even push d the broom between my legs as I was shooting.

Yeah not the best experience at a range. Your mileage may vary.
Old 09-19-2018, 7:45 PM

I've done several transfers at the Sacramento Gun Club and had no troubles at all.

However, I always use my United States passport for ID. It solves all these problems, airport id problems, you name it. Your passport is the final word that you are who you say you are and that you are a citizen. Everyone should have a passport, even if you don't travel overseas.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-19-2018, 8:53 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

You probably should change the thread title to ‘I screwed up bigtime when I renewed my CA DL instead of getting REAL ID’.

This has nothing to do with the FFL. A whole bunch of FFLs will tell you to hit the road with that illegal alien license. You can get those out of gumball machines now. Go get a REAL ID. There are plenty of threads here on this topic.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-19-2018 at 8:55 PM..
Old 09-29-2018, 3:24 PM
Wretch
CGN Contributor

I did two PPTs at SGC last year, one after 5pm and the other before noon. Both times, the process was smooth and fast.
The guy and gal who took turns sweeping while I was shooting, um, a bit strange.
That's cool I don't do glocks.
“Republicans, you better VOTE on November 6th! Let’s keep winning!” -@RyanAFournier
Old 10-06-2018, 8:03 AM

I've done multiple PPT's at SGC and never had a problem. In fact it's my preferred location for doing that. Always treated well and never a wait that was unreasonable. PPT's can take up a lot of time regardless of where you go and depending on staffing levels at the time.
Old 10-06-2018, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

I've done a few PPT's at SGC.
The first problem I had was when they required the DROS in cash. I had never heard of this before. Apparently this is not an uncommon practice for FFL's because people dispute the charge later or something. Also it cost the store money to process the card on a transaction that they are making very little on for the time and paperwork involved. So the cash for DROS issue is reasonable to me but was still surprising.

My second take away from multiple PPT's there is that the process takes a little longer than a lot of the other local FFL's. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it is excessively long, just longer than the average PPT in my experience. But they are very thorough and double check everything.

But isn't all this moot now. The ATF recently clarified and is allowing "federal limits apply" licences to DROS a firearm.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...earm-purchases

My favorite place locally to PPT or just make a retail purchase is Sacramento Armory. In and out. They don't want to spend a second more on a PPT/DROS than they need to. Super small shop but I recommend them. Their retail prices are prety aggressive too.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 10-06-2018 at 8:43 AM..