Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2017, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Ridiculous. Im a cradle catholic, and thats nonsense.

The mass re enacts the last supper, and recited Jesus’ words to his apostles to take and eat his body and blood, BEFORE he was crucified, because the last supper was before he was crucified, and his instructions were to do so in his memory. There is no verbal or ritual crucifixion during any mass that i have ever attended except when a passion play is incorporated, and that is a separate event and not part of the sacrament of mass.

Eastern orthodox masses are identical.

The crucifixion is mentioned because Jesus died for our sins, it is not in any way a part of the mass. I have to wonder if you have ever attended a single catholic mass.

Despite your self appointed credentials, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I’m NOT a catholic at all and disagree with my “Christian” brothers and sisters in the Catholic Church on the “secondary” issues. Likewise they disagree with me. But we are all united on the core Christian doctrine and should not be divided on those core issues. We are all at Liberty to express our “secondary issues” as Christians and as C.S Lewis once eloquently said.

That being all said, I couldn’t agree with you more on your above quote and the emboldened part especially!

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 11-13-2017 at 9:55 PM..
Old 11-13-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Well that didn't go well mentioning Catholic Mass. Anyways how about about the Catholic practice of confessing their sins to a priest and penance? I feel this a major difference of Catholics and Protestant beliefs also
It’s a secondary issue, so who cares? In core issues we Christians are all in unity. In the secondary issues, we have liberty. And in all things, charity.

Today, Catholics do NOT teach that confession of sins to a priest is a requirement of salvation.

... No I am NOT a catholic, but I have studied Catholicism relentlessly for almost 40 years now.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

For those who believe there are core issues and secondary issues:

He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day. - John 12:48

I am not commenting on who is a Christian and who is not, but I am not sure there are any secondary issues when it comes to heeding God's word.
Mark 16:16
Old 11-14-2017, 3:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
How do you get to heaven in the RCC? Please answer.
Bill, I actually went over it in a small amount of detail with the promise that I would explain more from my personal knowledge, in the testimony I left for why I'm a Catholic, or more specifically why I'm a catechumen -- that is, someone who is studying and preparing for baptism and confirmation. Did you read my post back there?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches in its sections on justification that we can be assured of Christ's salvation, by grace freely given, believe a few things, and do a few things; in other words it involves faith and works. Faith and works are kind of inseparable though and you can see this in the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification which was a dual effort by Catholics and Lutherans that kind of explains how "by faith alone" and "by faith and by works" are kind of saying the same thing in a different way. I'd recommend reading that document online.

Anyways, for the Catholic way specifically, first we believe in Christ obviously, the stuff all Christians believe, in keeping the commandments, etc. We believe baptism is required too, and there are rules for what constitutes a legitimate baptism. There are also some precepts of the Church, that we keep our Sunday obligation, receive the sacrament of Confession once per year, and receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least once a year as well, on Easter. We must also keep abstinence and fasting particularly in accordance with the liturgical year. Finally, we must be charitable in providing for the church and our communities. If someone does these things they can be assured they are in a state of God's grace. If they don't they may still be saved, for God has bound us to his sacraments but he has not bound himself to them.

I'd like to ask you a question... What do you believe we must do to be saved? Specifically, do you believe that we are "once saved, always saved"? Do then those who lapse in their faith still receive salvation? Thanks for your time.
Old 11-14-2017, 3:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
This is why I don't believe you need intercession from Mary or the Saints:

Romans
26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Every time I get around Catholics, it's usually Mary-this, and Mary-that. While we should honor and respect her, I think we need to leave her and the saints out of it when we want to talk to God. Same thing with Hail Mary's, how about Hail Jesus? What's the purpose of this difference?
Well I don't think you HAVE to pray to Mary, that's not exactly what the Church teaches... You definitely don't NEED it for your prayer to be heard, you don't pray to Mary because God can't hear your prayer if you don't. It's just that when people who are holy pray, or when more than one pray together, there is power in that. And it should be noted that prayer to Mary is not the same as prayer to Jesus. In the sense that Protestants only "pray" to God, Catholics also only "pray" to God. We can call that capital Prayer, as opposed to prayer, if that helps. When you pray to Mary or to any saint in Heaven it is just as you would ask a friend to pray for you. Only God can really be capital prayed to, and God the Father receives our prayers through the intercession of Jesus Christ. That is all Biblical.

And there are many, many Catholic prayers, chaplets and novenas devoted to Jesus... Catholics don't just hail Mary, they hail Christ as King. And personal, contemplative prayer to Jesus Christ in ones own words forms probably a major bulk of the core Catholic prayer life.

If the question becomes whether Mary/the saints can even hear our prayers, or if we're even allowed to pray to them... Revelations chapter 5 and 8 mention the prayers of the saints/by the saints in Heaven.

Rev 5:8 "And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints"

Rev 8:3-4 "Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand."

Multiple passages, too many to name, in the Bible mention prayers and praise to the angels and to the hosts of heaven. You can see this in the Psalms. In Maccabees you have the prayers for and to the dead in heaven, i.e. the saints.

This is such a longstanding tradition I don't understand why devotional prayer in communion with the saints is so controversial, honestly.

Last edited by an actual gun; 11-14-2017 at 3:46 AM..
Old 11-14-2017, 5:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbn620 View Post
Well I don't think you HAVE to pray to Mary, that's not exactly what the Church teaches... You definitely don't NEED it for your prayer to be heard, you don't pray to Mary because God can't hear your prayer if you don't. It's just that when people who are holy pray, or when more than one pray together, there is power in that. And it should be noted that prayer to Mary is not the same as prayer to Jesus. In the sense that Protestants only "pray" to God, Catholics also only "pray" to God. We can call that capital Prayer, as opposed to prayer, if that helps. When you pray to Mary or to any saint in Heaven it is just as you would ask a friend to pray for you. Only God can really be capital prayed to, and God the Father receives our prayers through the intercession of Jesus Christ. That is all Biblical.

And there are many, many Catholic prayers, chaplets and novenas devoted to Jesus... Catholics don't just hail Mary, they hail Christ as King. And personal, contemplative prayer to Jesus Christ in ones own words forms probably a major bulk of the core Catholic prayer life.

If the question becomes whether Mary/the saints can even hear our prayers, or if we're even allowed to pray to them... Revelations chapter 5 and 8 mention the prayers of the saints/by the saints in Heaven.

Rev 5:8 "And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints"

Rev 8:3-4 "Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand."

Multiple passages, too many to name, in the Bible mention prayers and praise to the angels and to the hosts of heaven. You can see this in the Psalms. In Maccabees you have the prayers for and to the dead in heaven, i.e. the saints.

This is such a longstanding tradition I don't understand why devotional prayer in communion with the saints is so controversial, honestly.
based on this

Quote:
1 Timothy 2:5 (NASB)
5 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
Why would you do this?
Quote:
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Any prayers to Mary fall on deaf ears?????

Any prayers offered from Heaven are not from them hearing us, but those who are aligning their will with Gods will. The same reason you should be praying and not taking your eyes off of God by praying to others who can't hear your prayers. The context that you are trying to make is not there and does not even come close to saying praying to the dead saints is like praying with the living saints. That is a stretch that is hard to make since God wants our eyes on him, not on the dead saints or dead Mary. We have the Living God, there should be no need to pray to dead people.

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

Last edited by colossians323; 11-14-2017 at 5:30 AM..
Old 11-14-2017, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
based on this

Why would you do this?

Any prayers offered from Heaven are not from them hearing us, but those who are aligning their will with Gods will. The same reason you should be praying and not taking your eyes off of God by praying to others who can't hear your prayers. The context that you are trying to make is not there and does not even come close to saying praying to the dead saints is like praying with the living saints. That is a stretch that is hard to make since God wants our eyes on him, not on the dead saints or dead Mary. We have the Living God, there should be no need to pray to dead people.
Exactly!

Cbn620 you are twisting the word of God to make it fit the Catholic doctrine.

Rev 5:8 is quote "which are the prayers of the saints"
The prayers OF the saints are NOT prayers TO the saints. You either read that passage incorrectly or are purposefully trying to deceive people about what the Bible teaches.

Rev 8:3-4 "Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne."

The incense the Angel was given to offer to God were the prayers of God's people... TO GOD. The passage doesn't read that the people were praying to anyone other than God himself.

Praying to Angels, Mary, the "Saints" or anyone other than God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit is more than controversial it is clearly wrong and not Biblical that is why non-Catholics have a problem with it.
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
United States District Judge
March 29, 2019
Old 11-14-2017, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbn620
Serpents, pine cones, the mitre, and "pagan" symbols? The worst you could grant is that Catholicism, as it spread west with the movement of Christians on instruction from Christ, in some way appropriated symbology of pagan origin. Some of these claims are dubious though. The bottom line should be not what they wear, but what do they teach?
Way to gloss over the multitude of Pagan ritualistic symbols used by the RCC in modern times as merely a foot note of it's origins in Paganism! What claims are dubious? How about backing up the legitimate use of the Dagon Mitre with a Bible verse?

How about a Biblical reference to the Catholic Crosier?

What part of the Bible even mentions the Pine Cone in reference in ANY way toward the worship of God?

I know that they are not Biblical and if you have such a vast knowledge of Catholic doctrine you should as well.

So the Million dollar question is what set of beliefs/teachings did the RCC get these symbols and rituals from and what signifigance do they have to what Scripture teaches us?

These are not outdated fashion accessories from an era lost in antiquity that just so happen to still be in use... Is that really the best explanation/defense you can come up with?

Please don't pretend that the RCC with it's vast historical archives is naive to the origin and true meaning of the multiple Pagan symbols and rituals it still uses to this very day!
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
March 29, 2019

Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 11-14-2017 at 7:08 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

What about the Obelisk in St. Peters square taken from Egypt?

It is a ancient Phallic symbol from the Egyptian priesthood why would the Vatican want it on display?

Egypt and Pharoh persecuted God's people and brought forth God's wrath because of their wicked ways what is "Christian" about an Obelisk?

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
March 29, 2019

Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 11-14-2017 at 2:08 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Bill, I actually went over it in a small amount of detail with the promise that I would explain more from my personal knowledge, in the testimony I left for why I'm a Catholic, or more specifically why I'm a catechumen -- that is, someone who is studying and preparing for baptism and confirmation. Did you read my post back there?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches in its sections on justification that we can be assured of Christ's salvation, by grace freely given, believe a few things, and do a few things; in other words it involves faith and works. Faith and works are kind of inseparable though and you can see this in the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification which was a dual effort by Catholics and Lutherans that kind of explains how "by faith alone" and "by faith and by works" are kind of saying the same thing in a different way. I'd recommend reading that document online.

Anyways, for the Catholic way specifically, first we believe in Christ obviously, the stuff all Christians believe, in keeping the commandments, etc. We believe baptism is required too, and there are rules for what constitutes a legitimate baptism. There are also some precepts of the Church, that we keep our Sunday obligation, receive the sacrament of Confession once per year, and receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least once a year as well, on Easter. We must also keep abstinence and fasting particularly in accordance with the liturgical year. Finally, we must be charitable in providing for the church and our communities. If someone does these things they can be assured they are in a state of God's grace. If they don't they may still be saved, for God has bound us to his sacraments but he has not bound himself to them.

I'd like to ask you a question... What do you believe we must do to be saved? Specifically, do you believe that we are "once saved, always saved"? Do then those who lapse in their faith still receive salvation? Thanks for your time.
cbn620 - Sorry, that question was directly asked of the citadel87 to see what he believes Catholic salvation is. I honestly haven't had the time to read all the posts, especially in each sub-thread between the posters! Too busy.

SO, given you have nicely taken the time to answer that question, I will make the time to read all your posts and respond!

Thanks and God bless.

"Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther
Old 11-16-2017, 3:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTHUSIAST View Post
What about the Obelisk in St. Peters square taken from Egypt?

It is a ancient Phallic symbol from the Egyptian priesthood why would the Vatican want it on display?

Egypt and Pharoh persecuted God's people and brought forth God's wrath because of their wicked ways what is "Christian" about an Obelisk?
Have you looked at a map of the early Christian world? It spread all the way around the Mediterranean and North Africa... Egypt was Christian for a time. Carthage (modern day Tunisia) rivaled Rome at one point. St Augustine was from North Africa. I can't defend everything the Vatican has done though because post-Vatican II there has been a focus on ecumenism and religious "tolerance" that I am not sure I completely agree with. There are some parts of the traditionalist Catholic movement I sympathize in this regard. But I don't think collecting artifacts from parts of the world that were once Christian and displaying them basically as trophies is a cause for concern when it comes to my faith.

First of all I'm not exactly glossing over it. I'm not going to go on a point by point on each of those symbols especially in the previous post where there was already too much ground to cover. And I think it's worthless to go into every doodle, symbol, piece of fashion that exists in the RCC today just as it is to go over all of the stuff we keep in western civilization today that came from a pagan origin.

The mitre is a perfect example of one that is dubious... Its coincidental resemblance to a fish and the connection that it must be associated with a fish god and that thus Catholics are secreting worshiping that fish god instead of the triune God of the Bible, is the epitome of dubious. I cannot find any credible information linking the two.

The mitre is an ancient form of headwear that took on a place in western Christianity--and monarchy--around the 1100s AD. There really is no symbological truth to why a mitre is shaped like a mitre. Why is a top hat shaped like a top hat? Not to mention many Protestants carry on the tradition of the mitre... Do Episcopalians and Lutherans worship this fish/dragon god? Cause they have been known to wear the mitre too. Nevermind all of the technically pagan stuff that continues to be prolific in our western world in religion and in secular society... Wedding rings are one that come to mind.

There is no known biblical basis for some/many of these symbols, especially their use but we're getting down into the weeds here, into the Dan Brown territory. Symbology is mostly BS. Like people who look at our dollar bill and try to prove some kind of secret conspiracy on there that the founders were actually controlled by luciferians and the illuminati. I have and will admit there is no biblical basis for some of these symbols, but there is also no biblical basis for the ichthyus or even for the cross in the sense of using it as a symbol to identify Christians. That wouldn't come until around 400 AD. Speaking of 400 AD that was also when the Bible was actually finished as far as the canon.

For the Catholic there is the Bible and there is also Christian tradition. For the Catholic, and for the Orthodox, both are required for coming to the full knowledge and truth of the faith. Sola scriptura is not written in the Bible, and to even analyze the text of the Bible we have to use something that comes from outside of it.

Also I never claimed any great knowledge or expertise... I've couched what I'm saying in the fact that I'm a catechumen still and this is an ongoing process for me. I've come at this discussion with the mentality of Christian humbleness and charity towards others beliefs. I'm not claiming to know everything nor am I telling anyone what to believe, just what I sincerely believe.

Last edited by an actual gun; 11-16-2017 at 3:16 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 3:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTHUSIAST View Post
Exactly!

Cbn620 you are twisting the word of God to make it fit the Catholic doctrine.

Rev 5:8 is quote "which are the prayers of the saints"
The prayers OF the saints are NOT prayers TO the saints. You either read that passage incorrectly or are purposefully trying to deceive people about what the Bible teaches.

Rev 8:3-4 "Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne."

The incense the Angel was given to offer to God were the prayers of God's people... TO GOD. The passage doesn't read that the people were praying to anyone other than God himself.

Praying to Angels, Mary, the "Saints" or anyone other than God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit is more than controversial it is clearly wrong and not Biblical that is why non-Catholics have a problem with it.
I understand you have a problem with it. I understand and respect that you guys think it is wrong. I just disagree.

What about the "cloud of witnesses" in Hebrews?

I will ask you this and then I will leave the last word to you and collosians on the issue of prayers to saints, and maybe we can move onto something else like apostolic succession, or sola scriptura, or to justification/salvation, or some other area, as to not beat a dead horse where we clearly disagree.

Do you think it is sinful that someone says while they are at the cemetery near the grave of a dead relative, something like, "Dad if you're up there and you can hear me, I just hope you know how much I loved you... put in a word for me with the Big Guy up stairs." Would it be sinful for someone to ask Jesus Christ in prayer, if he could please let X loved one know they were loved, and wish that they are looking down on them with loving kindness, and that those in heaven are praying for those of us remaining here on earth? That is what the Catholic "prayer" to saints essentially is. We do address the saint, or Mary, or whomever directly. But it is by the power of the Holy Spirit that any prayer is heard, and it is only by the intercession of Jesus Christ that any prayer is actually delivered, so it is kind of implied in any Catholic prayer...
Old 11-16-2017, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Sola scriptura is not written in the Bible, and to even analyze the text of the Bible we have to use something that comes from outside of it.
Quote:
hermeneutics
[hur-muh-noo-tiks, -nyoo-]

noun, (used with a singular verb)
the science of interpretation, especially of the Scriptures.
the branch of theology that deals with the principles of Biblical exegesis.
I won't bore you with the details of hermeneutics, but it is a principal that is timeless.

If Gods word is not His authority than what is? men are fallible and cannot be trusted, as we see time and time again in the bible, and through out history.

Catholic Priests who sexually abuse in the name of God
Protestant Charlatans who use the name of God to earn their riches (televangelists)
False teachers who tell you their god is the 'real' god
etc etc

Thus we have sola scriptura which is the ultimate authority and hermeneutics is the principal that is used in difficult areas of text.
The main things are plain and the plain things are main!

Quote:
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

Last edited by colossians323; 11-16-2017 at 11:14 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Christian= "follower of Christ". Therefore Catholics consider themselves to be Christians. Protestants are of mixed opinion on this point.

Heath·en
ˈhēT͟Hən
noun- derogatory
a person who does not belong to a widely held religion (especially one who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim) as regarded by those who do.

synonyms: pagan, infidel, idolater, heretic, unbeliever, disbeliever, nonbeliever, atheist, agnostic, skeptic; archaicpaynim
Ex: "the evangelist preached to the heathens"

Catholics and Protestants typically agree that a Heathen is, indeed, a Heathen.

We have had our problems throughout history LOL

“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time
Old 11-20-2017, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Cbn620 11-11-2017 10:10 PM CCC 1257: "The Lord himself affirms that Baptism is necessary for salvation. He also commands his disciples to proclaim the Gospel to all nations and to baptize them. Baptism is necessary for salvation for those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimed and who have had the possibility of asking for this sacrament. The Church does not know of any means other than Baptism that assures entry into eternal beatitude; this is why she takes care not to neglect the mission she has received from the Lord to see that all who can be baptized are 'reborn of water and the Spirit.' God has bound salvation to the sacrament of Baptism, but he himself is not bound by his sacraments."

Cbn620 11-14-2017 4:09 AM The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches in its sections on justification that we can be assured of Christ's salvation, by grace freely given, believe a few things, and do a few things; in other words it involves faith and works. Faith and works are kind of inseparable though and you can see this in the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification which was a dual effort by Catholics and Lutherans that kind of explains how "by faith alone" and "by faith and by works" are kind of saying the same thing in a different way.
cbn620 – Sorry for another delayed response. I thought I’d print off the thread and read your parts, but that would’ve been over 90 pages! So, in between other duties, I printed everything off of a Word file and cut down to just the relevant part of your posts on RCC salvation. Your RCC doctrine differs in many, many ways, from what biblical Christians believe from the Bible, but the essence of this discussion is regarding how one gets into heaven.

So, as you have honestly stated, and I agree, it is the Catholic doctrine that the RCC requires baptism as necessary to be saved. And, it is a work. As I wrote before, your RCC doctrine is that baptism is required to "infuse" the faith and grace necessary to go to heaven. It's called baptismal regeneration. That's what the Bible calls a WORK (Romans 3:21-31, Romans 4, Ephesians 2:8-9, etc. explain). The Bible teaches faith alone in Christ alone by grace alone. If you do any kind of work, then you're not saved (i.e. not credited with the Righteousness of Christ). Not saved = NOT going to heaven.

The Bible says NO WORKS in MANY places. It is a consistent them of the Bible? WHY? First, God ALONE gets ALL the glory, ALL the credit, in the salvation of a soul. Second, mankind is DEAD in sin (Eph. 2:1-3) and unable to respond to God. And, ALL mankind has turned aside, rejected God, DOES NOT SEEK God, etc. (Romans 3:10-19). So, God has to draw those He chooses to save (John 6:44).

Romans 3:21-31 explains Christian salvation and Romans 4 gives biblical examples, mostly of Abraham, showing how this has been and still is always true: E.g. (the capitals are from the Bible, not from me!):

Romans 4:1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.” 4 Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,..."

The RCC views grace different, and many other things, but the essence is that the RCC differs in their view of how to get to heaven. The RCC even goes so far to say that those who believe otherwise are anathema - condemned to hell (us faith alone, grace alone, in Christ alone, no works, believers). That was from the Council of Trent and recently re-affirmed by the pope in 2013 at the 450th anniversary. There are couple of minor points of the massive Trent Canon set that they've changed, but not the anathemas that I've quoted.

So, biblical Christianity and the RCC differ on how one gets to heaven - by doctrine. Individual opinions and beliefs differ as you've seen here. That's why one has to stick to church doctrine in a discussion.

IF you want to get into heaven, you MUST acknowledge that you are sinner, undeserving of heaven, ONLY deserving hell (Romans 3:23; 6:23a and many others).
Ro3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Ro6:23 For the wages of sin is death, …

Then you must accept the FREE GIFT (no works!) of God through Jesus Christ (Romans 6:23b).

Ro6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Then you will be able to say with all other Christians: Eph2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

The hardest part of salvation? Letting go of your pride. In pride, most will not admit to God that they are sinners deserving and destined to hell. And, even if willing to admit that, most will not admit that they have NO part in their salvation except believing. They want to follow rituals (e.g. baptism) which are works. They want to believe that they need to live a good life and keep commandments (which are works). In many ways they want a part in their salvation.

BUT, God wants you 100%, completely, entirely, given up on yourself, given up on any idea of any goodness, any deserving of salvation, any effort to help, etc. He wants you to recognize that in your sin, your thinking/reasoning is FALLEN and IN ERROR, that your efforts are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6).

What’s wrong with RCC doctrine? Pride. Pride of men over hundreds of years building a “system” that SOUNDS JUST LIKE Biblical Christianity. So much so, that using the names of God, the book of God, people *think* it’s Christianity. BUT, all along, in between the lines, hidden just out-of-view, are WORKS that keep people from true salvation. As your own posts attest / affirm, you have to add some works! Those works will have Christ telling you:

Mt7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 “Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

“the will of My Father” is to come to Christ ON YOUR KNEES with nothing of value, no works, no rituals – just repentance for being a sinner who sins – AND begging for His free gift of eternal life – salvation.

What will these people say? In Matthew 7:21-23 they are saying SEE OUR WORKS, Lord! Look what we did! *If* they’d come and say “Lord, Lord, we don’t deserve heaven. We know that. We came to you acknowledging that, asking forgiveness, begging for the free gift of eternal life – and You gave it to us. AND, as evidence of your salvation, we went on to live lives doing the works that your Father prepared for us to do (Ephesians 2:10) – works that don’t earn us heaven, but SHOW that our faith was alive! Sow that your Holy Spirit was working through us! SHOW that you lived your life through us (Galatians 2:19). Thank you, Lord, for a gift we did not deserve. We are here by grace alone, through faith alone, in You, Jesus Christ, alone.”
How will Christ respond to that?

Mt25:21 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’

God bless!

"Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther
Old 11-20-2017, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Peter is the head of the Catholic Church.

He was a follower of Christ.

Since he followed Christ. He became a Christian.

Catholics are Christian.
George Patton
Old 11-20-2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxo2 View Post
Peter is the head of the Catholic Church.

He was a follower of Christ.

Since he followed Christ. He became a Christian.

Catholics are Christian.
So Christ is not the head of the Church?

It is odd that Catholics would go against historic Christian doctrine as documented in the bible?

Quote:
Ephesians 5:23 (NASB)

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.

Colossians 1:18 (NASB)

18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.
I have read the bible over and over again and I have a hard time finding where it says Peter is the head of the Church. In fact, it doesn't even allude to him being any type of head of the Church.
However it does say that Christ is the head of the Church.

Do Catholics really believe Peter is the Head of the Church?

This is why sola scriptura is so important. Why would you take your eyes off of the Living God to elevate a mere mortal man?

Quote:

Last edited by colossians323; 11-20-2017 at 4:35 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 3:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

why is this even a question?
Old 11-20-2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
why is this even a question?
I don't know, I thought it was odd that the catholic church does not recognize Christ as the head of the Church too!

Quote:
Old 11-20-2017, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So Christ is not the head of the Church?

It is odd that Catholics would go against historic Christian doctrine as documented in the bible?

I have read the bible over and over again and I have a hard time finding where it says Peter is the head of the Church. In fact, it doesn't even allude to him being any type of head of the Church.
However it does say that Christ is the head of the Church.

Do Catholics really believe Peter is the Head of the Church?

This is why sola scriptura is so important. Why would you take your eyes off of the Living God to elevate a mere mortal man?
You don't recognize Matthew 16:18?

And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

What does that mean to You? The Catholic church is the true apostolic church. It traces it's lineage to this passage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 11-20-2017, 6:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

if you believe jesus christ and what he taught, you are a christian.
all the dogma simply confuses the issue. it isn't a competition for who is right.
Old 11-20-2017, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Who are we to question a Catholic, Lutheran, Quaker, Calvinist or any other person that tells us he/she is a true Christian?

Many of you here need to stop judging so self-righteously and judge people correctly on this issue:

Luke 16:15 (NIV)
He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God’s sight.

Only God really knows the hearts of man:

1 Kings 8:39 (NIV)
then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. Forgive and act; deal with everyone according to all they do, since you know their hearts (for you alone know every human heart),

If my catholic brothers and sister profess that Jesus is Lord, Jesus has risen, Jesus shall return and that Jesus is the ONLY savior, who am I to question them?

Some of you really need to get over yourselves and look in the mirror. Judge correctly:

John 7:24 (NIV)
Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-20-2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:

And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

What does that mean to You? The Catholic church is the true apostolic church. It traces it's lineage to this passage.
This is not exactly what it says. Jesus says and I tell you Peter (Petros) upon this rock (petra) I will build my church.
The first is a like a rock, rock-man proper name. The second is a Greek feminine form for rock not a proper name.

I have tried to keep up with the posts but to be honest some of the comments are not made in a loving manner. As I posted very early on I have some issues with Roman Catholic teachings. I believe there are Christians who attend RC churches. I also believe there are those in Protestant churches that are headed to hell. We all fail somewhere in our theogy, if we are required to be 100% correct in our beliefs no one is saved. How much incorrect belief will send us to hell? Only God knows.
Old 11-20-2017, 7:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoRob View Post
This is not exactly what it says. Jesus says and I tell you Peter (Petros) upon this rock (petra) I will build my church.
The first is a like a rock, rock-man proper name. The second is a Greek feminine form for rock not a proper name.

I have tried to keep up with the posts but to be honest some of the comments are not made in a loving manner. As I posted very early on I have some issues with Roman Catholic teachings. I believe there are Christians who attend RC churches. I also believe there are those in Protestant churches that are headed to hell. We all fail somewhere in our theogy, if we are required to be 100% correct in our beliefs no one is saved. How much incorrect belief will send us to hell? Only God knows.
As you know, that depends entirely upon the translation you rely upon. The one i rely upon has Jesus telling Peter he is a rock upon which He will build His. church. The one true and apostolic church, as our creed says.

I find it funny that no one sees the problem in relying upon their own church’s interpretation of the bible as the only interpretation

Thats why i asked a week ago how one is to know which is correct. All i got in response was the “you need to follow the bible”. The bible supports every christian church's claim as the true church.

Antone who cant see that has his head in the sand.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 11-20-2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Who are we to question a Catholic, Lutheran, Quaker, Calvinist or any other person that tells us he/she is a true Christian?

Many of you here need to stop judging so self-righteously and judge people correctly on this issue:

Luke 16:15 (NIV)
He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God’s sight.

Only God really knows the hearts of man:

1 Kings 8:39 (NIV)
then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. Forgive and act; deal with everyone according to all they do, since you know their hearts (for you alone know every human heart),

If my catholic brothers and sister profess that Jesus is Lord, Jesus has risen, Jesus shall return and that Jesus is the ONLY savior, who am I to question them?

Some of you really need to get over yourselves and look in the mirror. Judge correctly:

John 7:24 (NIV)
Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”
How does this square with Matthew 7:1-3?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:

It means Peter is but a simple man who has nothing to do with our salvation. Christ is the Living God who covers us with grace and mercy.

What does Peter have to do with our salvation? Answer, nothing. He is a great patriarch and a great saint who left a legacy, but even Christ 4 verses later than the verse you shared told him to “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”. Matthew 16:23??
What does that mean to you?
Either Peter is a Satan and a stumbling block or you worship him for salvation. Which rings more true to you in reference to the Christ?

Quote:

Last edited by colossians323; 11-20-2017 at 9:12 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
based on this

Why would you do this?

I'm quite pleased at the thought of people praying for me. Why shouldn't that include Mary?
Old 11-20-2017, 9:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It means Peter is but a simple man who has nothing to do with our salvation. Christ is the Living God who covers us with grace and mercy.

What does Peter have to do with our salvation? Answer, nothing. He is a great patriarch and a great saint who left a legacy, but even Christ 4 verses later than the verse you shared told him to “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”. Matthew 16:23??
What does that mean to you?
Either Peter is a Satan and a stumbling block or you worship him for salvation. Which rings more true to you in reference to the Christ?
Wow, binary much?

No, Peter is NOT either Satan or someone i worship.

He is the first head of the church after Christ ascended into heaven. He was the rock upon which the church was made. I dont worship him at all, but i do revere him as a great man and a saint. The catholic church traces its lineage to the apostles, hence apostolic church. I dont worship Peter, or the pope, or my priest.

Non Catholics get the reverence of saints SO wrong, its almost as if its an intentional misstatement of what the practice is.

I no more worship Peter than i do our founding fathers.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 11-21-2017, 6:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkr View Post
How does this square with Matthew 7:1-3?
plinker thank you sooo much for asking that good question. I actually thought it would be asked sooner. Get your coffee ready and get comfy on the couch. Here I go....

Did you know that Matthew 7:1-3 is the MOST misinterpreted passage in the Bible? It’s true and that’s a fact that’s been shared in christian circles for decades. So many people know and just love to cite that verse but they don't know John 7:24, which I cited previously a few days ago

-John 7:24 (NKJV)
“Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

When people say “do not judge," this is called the law of non-contradiction. They are "judging" when they say that. It's funny because the person telling another “do not judge”, doesn't even realize that they themselves are judging!

The fact of the matter is that we are called to judge. Jesus makes that abundantly clear! If we don't “judge,” we are deficient. What Jesus makes plane is that we should NEVER judge self righteously, hastily (without evidence) or hypocritically. Jesus didn’t teach against judging, nor did He relieve His followers of the need for discerning right and wrong, but He condemned unjust hypocritical judging of others (Matthew 7:5).

Jesus taught against a specific kind of judging. The type of judging he spoke against was a blind, ignorant, hypocritical, self-righteous judging that overlooks one’s own faults, failures and sins and only sees faults, failures and sins in other people. Jesus gives us permission to tell right from wrong and that takes the action of “judging.”

The issue Jesus is going after is the pride that was in the people’s hearts which made it easy for them to see other people’s faults, but be blinded to their own. And notice again when I mentioned Matthew 7:5, where Jesus called them “you hypocrite.” Now, what’s a hypocrite? Someone who pretends to be something they aren’t. Here Jesus is going after people who wear a mask of piety over a heart that was judgmental, critical, and self-righteous toward others.

Additionally, the Bible has numerous passages throughout, specifically telling us how we are to judge “righteously”:

-Leviticus 19:15 (NIV)
Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly.

-Leviticus 19:17 (NIV-1984)
Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share his guilt.

-Ephesians 5:6 (NIV)
Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7-Therefore do not be partners with them.

We are to be discerning (Colossians 1:9; 1 Thessalonians 5:21) and we are to gently confront erring brothers or sisters in Christ (Galatians 6:1).

-Galatians 6:1 (NIV)
Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2-Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Psalm 58- talks about judging uprightly.

-2 Tim 4:2 (NIV) tells us to:
“Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.”

The Bible teaches that to give a godly rebuke where one must righteously judge another, is an act of kindness and to be considered a blessing to the one who receives it. A person who wants to live a life pleasing to God should be grateful that someone shows him where he has veered off the path.

In Psalm 141:4-5 David says,
"Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness with men who do iniquity; and do not let me eat of their delicacies. Let the righteous smite me in kindness and reprove me; it is oil upon the head; do not let my head refuse it."

In Prov. 25:12 Solomon says that a godly rebuke should be valued like fine jewelry. Again, to “rebuke” someone requires a righteous judgment be made first. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point now.

Righteous judging is a virtue.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-21-2017, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No, Peter is NOT either Satan or someone i worship.

He is the first head of the church after Christ ascended into heaven. He was the rock upon which the church was made.
Jesus was praising Peter for his accurate statement about Him (Jesus), and was introducing His (Jesus’) work of building the church on Himself.

Look at 1 Corinthians 3:11 (NIV)
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Jesus is the “cornerstone” and “rock” (foundation), not Peter. Below I’ve quoted a simple and short explaination from a website cited at the end of the quote. I think the below explanation makes perfect logical sense about this entire issue...

”Question: "What is the rock in Matthew 16:18?"

Answer: The debate rages over whether “the rock” on which Christ will build His church is Peter, or Peter’s confession that Jesus is “the Christ, the Son of the Living God” (Matthew 16:16). In all honesty, there is no way for us to be 100% sure which view is correct. The grammatical construction allows for either view. The first view is that Jesus was declaring that Peter would be the “rock” on which He would build His church. Jesus appears to be using a play on words. “You are Peter (petros) and on this rock (petra) I will build my church.” Since Peter’s name means rock, and Jesus is going to build His church on a rock – it appears that Christ is linking the two together. God used Peter greatly in the foundation of the church. It was Peter who first proclaimed the Gospel on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:14-47). Peter was also the first to take the Gospel to the Gentiles (Acts 10:1-48). In a sense, Peter was the rock “foundation” of the church.

The other popular interpretation of the rock is that Jesus was referring not to Peter, but to Peter’s confession of faith in verse 16: “You are the Christ, the son of the living God.” Jesus had never explicitly taught Peter and the other disciples the fullness of His identity, and He recognized that God had sovereignly opened Peter’s eyes and revealed to him who Jesus really was. His confession of Christ as Messiah poured forth from him, a heartfelt declaration of Peter’s personal faith in Jesus. It is this personal faith in Christ which is the hallmark of the true Christian. Those who have placed their faith in Christ, as Peter did, are the church. Peter expresses this in 1 Peter 2:4 when he addressed the believers who had been dispersed around the ancient world: “Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.”

At this point, Jesus declares that God had revealed this truth to Peter. The word for “Peter,” Petros, means a small stone (John 1:42). Jesus used a play on words here with petra (“on this rock”) which means a foundation boulder, as in Matthew 7:24, 25 when He described the rock upon which the wise man builds his house. Peter himself uses the same imagery in his first epistle: the church is built of numerous small petros “living stones” (1 Peter 2:5) who, like Peter, confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and those confessions of faith are the bedrock of the church.

In addition, the New Testament makes it abundantly clear that Christ is both the foundation (Acts 4:11, 12; 1 Corinthians 3:11) and the head (Ephesians 5:23) of the church. It is a mistake to think that here He is giving either of those roles to Peter. There is a sense in which the apostles played a foundational role in the building of the church (Ephesians 2:20), but the role of primacy is reserved for Christ alone, not assigned to Peter. So, Jesus’ words here are best interpreted as a simple play on words in that a boulder-like truth came from the mouth of one who was called a small stone. And Christ Himself is called the “chief cornerstone” (1 Peter 2:6, 7). The chief cornerstone of any building was that upon which the building was anchored. If Christ declared Himself to be the cornerstone, how could Peter be the rock upon which the church was built? It is more likely that the believers, of which Peter is one, are the stones which make up the church, anchored upon the Cornerstone, “and he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame” (1 Peter 2:6).

The Roman Catholic Church uses the argument that Peter is the rock to which Jesus referred as evidence that it is the one true church. As we have seen, Peter's being the rock is not the only valid interpretation of this verse. Even if Peter is the rock in Matthew 16:18, this is meaningless in giving the Roman Catholic Church any authority. Scripture nowhere records Peter being in Rome. Scripture nowhere describes Peter as being supreme over the other apostles. The New Testament does not describe Peter as being the “all authoritative leader” of the early Christian church. Peter was not the first pope, and Peter did not start the Roman Catholic Church. The origin of the Catholic Church is not in the teachings of Peter or any other apostle. If Peter truly was the founder of the Roman Catholic Church, it would be in full agreement with what Peter taught (Acts chapter 2, 1 Peter, 2 Peter).”

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-21-2017, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
plinker thank you sooo much for asking that good question. I actually thought it would be asked sooner. Get your coffee ready and get comfy on the couch. Here I go....

Did you know that Matthew 7:1-3 is the MOST misinterpreted passage in the Bible? It’s true and that’s a fact that’s been shared in christian circles for decades. So many people know and just love to cite that verse but they don't know John 7:24, which I cited previously a few days ago

-John 7:24 (NKJV)
“Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

When people say “do not judge," this is called the law of non-contradiction. They are "judging" when they say that. It's funny because the person telling another “do not judge”, doesn't even realize that they themselves are judging!

The fact of the matter is that we are called to judge. Jesus makes that abundantly clear! If we don't “judge,” we are deficient. What Jesus makes plane is that we should NEVER judge self righteously, hastily (without evidence) or hypocritically. Jesus didn’t teach against judging, nor did He relieve His followers of the need for discerning right and wrong, but He condemned unjust hypocritical judging of others (Matthew 7:5).

Jesus taught against a specific kind of judging. The type of judging he spoke against was a blind, ignorant, hypocritical, self-righteous judging that overlooks one’s own faults, failures and sins and only sees faults, failures and sins in other people. Jesus gives us permission to tell right from wrong and that takes the action of “judging.”

The issue Jesus is going after is the pride that was in the people’s hearts which made it easy for them to see other people’s faults, but be blinded to their own. And notice again when I mentioned Matthew 7:5, where Jesus called them “you hypocrite.” Now, what’s a hypocrite? Someone who pretends to be something they aren’t. Here Jesus is going after people who wear a mask of piety over a heart that was judgmental, critical, and self-righteous toward others.

Additionally, the Bible has numerous passages throughout, specifically telling us how we are to judge “righteously”:

-Leviticus 19:15 (NIV)
Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly.

-Leviticus 19:17 (NIV-1984)
Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share his guilt.

-Ephesians 5:6 (NIV)
Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7-Therefore do not be partners with them.

We are to be discerning (Colossians 1:9; 1 Thessalonians 5:21) and we are to gently confront erring brothers or sisters in Christ (Galatians 6:1).

-Galatians 6:1 (NIV)
Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2-Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Psalm 58- talks about judging uprightly.

-2 Tim 4:2 (NIV) tells us to:
“Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.”

The Bible teaches that to give a godly rebuke where one must righteously judge another, is an act of kindness and to be considered a blessing to the one who receives it. A person who wants to live a life pleasing to God should be grateful that someone shows him where he has veered off the path.

In Psalm 141:4-5 David says,
"Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness with men who do iniquity; and do not let me eat of their delicacies. Let the righteous smite me in kindness and reprove me; it is oil upon the head; do not let my head refuse it."

In Prov. 25:12 Solomon says that a godly rebuke should be valued like fine jewelry. Again, to “rebuke” someone requires a righteous judgment be made first. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point now.

Righteous judging is a virtue.
Thank you for the thoughtful and complete answer. I still feel sonething may have been lost in translation. Sure, any time we consider someone's actions (including our own), we are judging them, and may even decide to rebuke them (or ourselves). This must be different from God's judgement, which is final and can result not in a rebuke but in eternal damnation. Is the word "judge" being used differently in those passages?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2017, 6:56 AM

Quote:
if you believe jesus christ and what he taught, you are a christian.
all the dogma simply confuses the issue. it isn't a competition for who is right.
So, then who is Christ talking about here?

Mt7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 “Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

Old 11-21-2017, 7:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
So, then who is Christ talking about here?

Jesus is referring to hypocrites who claim to have faith, but display little.
There is a big difference between "saying" you believe in Christ, and living your life acting as Christ instructed.
Old 11-21-2017, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Jesus is referring to hypocrites who claim to have faith, but display little.
There is a big difference between "saying" you believe in Christ, and living your life acting as Christ instructed.
Welcome to the debate, theLBC! See, you just answered me with your view of doctrine, dogma, whatever you want to call it.

"hypocrites who claim to have faith, but display little" is vague. How would one know if they fit this category or not? How much "display" is enough to be more than "a little?" Honestly, we're talking about where one spends ETERNITY! It's easy to say what one believes. It's entirely different to say "Thus saith the Lord..." and represent God's view on the subject!

You say "there's a big difference..." Can you really, fully live your life as "Christ instructed?" Paul couldn't (Romans 7:14-25). Peter couldn't (Galatians 2 with Paul's confrontation).

I'm not trying to belittle you, but just point out that it's easy to swoop in and drop a quick post with one's unsubstantiated view. There's quite a few of those in this thread, in this forum!

Since God's the one deciding who gets into heaven, it's best to be right by Him. Since He won't share His glory (Isaiah 42:8), we'd better not try to take any of it when trying to get to heaven!

Thanks for staying and responding! I respect that, appreciate that.

Welcome to the discussion!

Old 11-21-2017, 8:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Welcome to the debate, theLBC! See, you just answered me with your view of doctrine, dogma, whatever you want to call it.

"hypocrites who claim to have faith, but display little" is vague. How would one know if they fit this category or not? How much "display" is enough to be more than "a little?" Honestly, we're talking about where one spends ETERNITY! It's easy to say what one believes. It's entirely different to say "Thus saith the Lord..." and represent God's view on the subject!

You say "there's a big difference..." Can you really, fully live your life as "Christ instructed?" Paul couldn't (Romans 7:14-25). Peter couldn't (Galatians 2 with Paul's confrontation).

I'm not trying to belittle you, but just point out that it's easy to swoop in and drop a quick post with one's unsubstantiated view. There's quite a few of those in this thread, in this forum!

Since God's the one deciding who gets into heaven, it's best to be right by Him. Since He won't share His glory (Isaiah 42:8), we'd better not try to take any of it when trying to get to heaven!

Thanks for staying and responding! I respect that, appreciate that.

Welcome to the discussion!
I don't believe God decides who gets into heaven.
I believe that is a choice he gave to us - to earn salvation or not.
This is jmo.

I don't believe it is that difficult to pick out the hypocrites among us, do you?
Old 11-21-2017, 8:41 AM

Earning salvation indicates "works" which is requisite in RCC doctrine. Whether those works are babtism or priest dictated "Holy Mary's" as penance , or a number of other non-Biblical actions, they are not a valid point for salvation. They are not, in and of themselves, a detrimental influence on it's face, but can be if they dismiss grace as the focus. This is were the biggest disconnect occurs in this discussion (imo)

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-21-2017, 8:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugga Nugga View Post
Earning salvation indicates "works" which is requisite in RCC doctrine. Whether those works are babtism or priest dictated "Holy Mary's" as penance , or a number of other non-Biblical actions, they are not a valid point for salvation. They are not, in and of themselves, a detrimental influence on it's face, but can be if they dismiss grace as the focus. This is were the biggest disconnect occurs in this discussion (imo)
If this is a reply to my post, again, I don't conflate any denomination's religious dogma with the teachings of Christ.
Old 11-21-2017, 8:52 AM

Quote:
I don't believe God decides who gets into heaven.
I believe that is a choice he gave to us - to earn salvation or not.
This is jmo.

I don't believe it is that difficult to pick out the hypocrites among us, do you?
I do not believe myself capable of earning salvation. Personally speaking, I will take the grace my Lord has extended to me through His sacrifice.
Old 11-21-2017, 8:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
I do not believe myself capable of earning salvation. Personally speaking, I will take the grace my Lord has extended to me through His sacrifice.
his sacrifice is what gave you a chance to earn salvation.
again, jmho.
Old 11-21-2017, 9:07 AM

Quote:
If this is a reply to my post, again, I don't conflate any denomination's religious dogma with the teachings of Christ.
Fair enough. Just making a general observation. My take is that I have enough to focus on personally and i certainly don't know another's heart, but I did react to the idea of "earned" salvation.

Thomas Sowell