Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-16-2013, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Default Bayonet mount on CMMG Mk3

http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1554.htm

See the little rail section where one would normally find a bayonet lug? I could swear I once found a little section of rail just like that that actually had a bayonet lug on it but now I can't find the danged thing!

In lieu of the possibly mythical rail with lug I may or may not have once seen how would one go about mounting a bayonet to the Mk3?

Why? Can't be king of the mall ninjas without a bayonet ... that and 'cause I wants it.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 10-16-2013, 5:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You sure you didn't see a section of rail with a sling swivel stud?
Old 10-16-2013, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

Old 10-16-2013, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
You sure you didn't see a section of rail with a sling swivel stud?
Sling lugs mostly point down but this part pointed forward.

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

No mistaking the sling lug rail for a bayonet lug rail ...

Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

BTT

My google-fu is still weak ...

Old 10-20-2013, 9:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You're probably not finding a section of rail with a bayonet lug, because it doesn't make much sense. Such a device would only work with a handguard of a very specific diameter(otherwise you'd never get the bayonet over the barrel), and a specific length in relation to the barrel(so the ring on the bayonet sits properly to support it). It would basically have to be manufacturer specific, which brings up the other problem of how rail sections sometimes have different mounting methods. Taking all of that into consideration, along with a lack of popularity for bayonet lugs in general(I think most people just don't care about the things), I really doubt you're ever going to find this part, and even then it might not actually work for you if you did find one.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Rail lug thingy aside ... any suggestions on how to mount a bayonet to the CMMG Mk3?

Maybe this thingy from Armalite?

Last edited by Epaphroditus; 10-20-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Rail lug thingy aside ... any suggestions on how to mount a bayonet to the CMMG Mk3?
Get a standard front sight post with a bayonet lug on it. Based on what CMMG is offering as a "MK3" on the link you provided, that means ditching the FF handguard, replacing the gas block, possibly having to cut the barrel down so the bayonet actually sits on the FH like it's supposed to, mounting a muzzle device that the bayonet can fit over, and likely using an extended FH pinned and welded depending on where the FSB ends up sitting.

Considering all of that, you might as well just get yourself a different upper altogether.

edit: No, that lug from armalite probably wouldn't work with those CMMG uppers, since the gas block is sitting under the handguard, and even if it extended past the handguard far enough you've still got the rest of the problems to deal with.

Last edited by Merc1138; 10-20-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Old 10-20-2013, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, that armalite part won't fit my gas block (there is room under the HG tho).

Maybe I should look for another gas block with a lug ...