Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 01-02-2019, 8:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default MSR MiniWorks - update or just buy new

I have an MSR MiniWorks I purchased back in 2000 and used on two hikes*. Great filter.

(*The second hike was from September 13-17 2001 - it was really kind of eerie - we seriously wondered what the heck was transpiring in the world while we were in the backcountry.)

It has been sitting on a shelf for the past seventeen years or so, and I pulled it out to stick into my GHB.

It looks to be in great shape - the inlet tube looks pretty funky - as plastic tubes deteriorate over time but otherwise looks mint. That said - I don't trust 17-year-old seals and valves.

I see the MSR Maintenance Kit lists for $30 and sells for $20-25 most places and the inlet tube also lists for $30 and sells for $17-25. On Amazon I can get both for a bit under $38.00 - but I noticed however that the umbrella valve is not included in the maintenance kit, and that is probably the most likely portion to fail. What the what? I can't even find the valve by itself for sale.

Being cheap I am thinking I am going to buy some generic hose at a hardware store (or online) - lubricate all the o-rings and what not and play with it at home... It will probably work fine - but I would hate to have it work great at home and then not work correctly 6 months from now in the field.
I can purchase a new one for $67 on Amazon...

Any suggestions for purchasing a new complete system? Should I go for a new MSA MiniWorks, or go with another brand or model? Reading the pros and cons for the various filters out there I am leaning toward purchasing another MSA Miniworks, and perhaps sell my old one on Ebay for $20-30 bucks or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulerrr View Post
Mag-Ima-gettin
3/29 - 4/05
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

NRA - Endowment Member
CRPA - Life Member
Old 02-15-2019, 12:19 PM

Call MSR, they'll probably send you one for free if they still make it.
That said, modern membrane filters perform just as well and are much lighter and more compact. I have one I have never used an probably never will due to the weight of the ceramic filter
Old 02-18-2019, 3:21 PM

MiniWorks is a good filter. You may want to check out the Sawyer line of filters. They are hard to beat.