Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-25-2012, 7:52 PM

thank you all. Very helpful.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well I got my packet in Dec, waited till I got all my letters and stuff together (stupid I know) Called yesterday, they said they are making appointment for next year and will call me.... Man that is going to be a long wait... What if I change jobs during that time??? do I have to reapply??

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

NRA Benefactor Life Member ~ CRPA Life Member
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 PM
retired Goon

The current long wait time is due to budgetary/manpower concerns within SBSD that have caused them to reduce the CCW staff to one person.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-02-2012, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath650 View Post
Hi all! Long time lurker here. I just picked up my CCW application. I have read most post on it and Ijust want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I lucked out both of my neighbors are LEO and we get along great and my boss is pro-gun

1- Make my appointment Asap, correct?
2- Should I have my LEO neighbors write my letters or should they be part of the 4 who they contact? Also, do they contact all four or is it random?

I guess that is all for now and thank you in advanced for the help.
I would also recommend that the people who write your reference letters not to date them. If like me I had collected all my documentation together then the family wagon broke down and I did not have the money for all the fees. I had to wait and save back up and that took six months. I don’t know if there is a “use by date” so to speak but that’s the last thing you need is if SBD says “there are to old, get new ones written so for now we will postpone your interview”
I don’t know for sure if it would go down that way but luck values the prepared.

"Never leave your Cave without your Club……."

Old 04-02-2012, 3:54 PM

Anyone know how long after the class the permit will show up in the mail.
Old 04-02-2012, 6:38 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.243 View Post
Anyone know how long after the class the permit will show up in the mail.
I was wondering the same thing. I just took the class. As far as I know that was the last step (?), so I am guessing the next thing is to receive the card. I am happy to wait patiently, but still wonder how long that might take.
Mark 16:16
Old 04-02-2012, 9:06 PM

Just finished the class as well. Waiting patiently as well.
Old 04-03-2012, 2:19 PM

Mine took about 1-1/2 month after my class.

Old 04-03-2012, 2:57 PM

I received a letter in the mail today, but it was just a receipt for the fee for the training class.
Old 04-03-2012, 7:16 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocClark340 View Post
Mine took about 1-1/2 month after my class.

Thanks Doc. That helps me to not go crazy in anticipation
Old 04-03-2012, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoyle View Post
I received a letter in the mail today, but it was just a receipt for the fee for the training class.
I have experienced that kind of elation followed by disappointment... I have felt your pain

It'll show up one day soon, try not to fret.
Old 04-06-2012, 9:05 AM

Default FYI Adding a Firearm to your Permit

They do a great job with the staff they have.

I would like to throw a little FYI out there though, be sure to bring every firearm you want on your permit with you to the class to qualify the first time. Its bit of a PITA to add one after the fact if you don’t live in SBD. IMHO even if the firearm(s) you own my not be completely practical for concealed carry you might as well get it on the permit and change it later as your budget permits. As the old saying goes “it’s better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it”

To add you now have to qualify with that firearm first. Not a problem. I would make your appointment with the range and get signed off on it first. Then take your approval (student copy) into the SBSO and pay your $24 dollars, have your firearm ran through the system and do the paperwork (pretty painless and in one trip). You may have to wait up to 6 weeks for your new permit with the added firearm(s). After your permit is ready you will have to surrender your old permit in person or by mail (so you will be without the ability to carry till the new amended permit arrives if you do the mail option).

I live in the high desert and the round trip for me is about 130 miles so I had to make the trip twice as I did what I recommended in reverse, so make the qualifying appointment first as it might take a week or so to fit you in depending on the schedule. I heard from Bruce that they are working on making one day a week available just for this.

They are short staffed so we all need to stay patient. (Thank you State of Kalifornia and prison overpopulation)

Old 04-06-2012, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
Thanks Doc. That helps me to not go crazy in anticipation
I know, it’s like Christmas when you where a kid. You know what you’re getting but you can’t play with till the magic day………..

Hahahahahahahaahah…………

Check out this thread as well, good food for thought……

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=514459

Old 04-06-2012, 9:26 AM

Quote:
I would also recommend that the people who write your reference letters not to date them. If like me I had collected all my documentation together then the family wagon broke down and I did not have the money for all the fees. I had to wait and save back up and that took six months. I don’t know if there is a “use by date” so to speak but that’s the last thing you need is if SBD says “there are to old, get new ones written so for now we will postpone your interview”
I don’t know for sure if it would go down that way but luck values the prepared.

There is a "use by date" its 90 days. If the letters are older than 90 days from your interview you have to get a new letter.

Last edited by lgdpt; 04-06-2012 at 9:28 AM..
Old 04-06-2012, 9:28 AM

One more thing for those wondering about contact with your employer. They send a letter to your HR department that clearly states, you have applied for a concealed weapons permit.

Just an FYI...
Old 04-06-2012, 10:36 AM

This is all very good info to have. It's great knowing what to expect from the process.

With that in mind, I got a DUI when I was in college. I have since graduated and been working full time for over 3 years as an engineer. Is this an automatic DQ or can I apply and hope that everything else balances this out? Thanks all.
Old 04-06-2012, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdpt View Post
One more thing for those wondering about contact with your employer. They send a letter to your HR department that clearly states, you have applied for a concealed weapons permit.

Just an FYI...

And the reply I got... "We thought you already carried one!" So much for secrecy.
Old 04-06-2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:

Just an FYI...
For me it would be one county department to another, wonder how that would go? o_O
Old 04-08-2012, 12:06 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:

Just an FYI...
Hence the reason I can't apply. HR Dept. at my work is said to be very anti.

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 04-08-2012, 4:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Just an FYI...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
I think the question here would be, what can your employer do about it, other than put you on notice that they do not permit firearms on there property (or something along those lines)...
Old 04-08-2012, 5:39 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
I think the question here would be, what can your employer do about it, other than put you on notice that they do not permit firearms on there property (or something along those lines)...
Legally they can do nothing, but they have been known to make things "difficult" for employees that they don't like. I don't want to have to deal with that and I have too much time invested to go to work somewhere else. Not worth it for me at this time, but I'm on the fence right now. I may just apply and go from there. If work creates issues for me after the fact, maybe I'll get a lawyer and retire early.

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 04-08-2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Fire you. With no recourse.
Old 04-08-2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
This just seems wrong.. Your HR department can fire you for trying to exercise your rights? Would they fire you for attending the "wrong" political rally too? Ugh.. Makes me happy I'm self-employed
Old 04-08-2012, 7:29 PM

I was nervous what my 70 year old HR lady would do.

Apparently, she just did what the letter asked and "verified employement."

In reality...what else was appropraiate for her to do? The letter doesnt say you will be using it at work. It just says you applied for a permit. Its none of their business when you plan on exersizing the right to carry.
Old 04-08-2012, 9:07 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

I work for a community college, a.k.a - hot bed of liberalism. When the HR dept. was notified of my CCW intentions, I received a copy of the Faculty Handbook with the section about firearms on campus highlighted.

I was surprised that was all they did. I expected a bigger hassle.

Last edited by WASR10; 04-09-2012 at 8:55 AM..
Old 04-09-2012, 9:25 AM

The reaction from your employer depends on quite a few different circumstances. Is the company you work for large or small? A smaller company is less likely to have a dedicated HR department to complete these forms, and the form may just end up on the owner's desk. At a larger company, HR may simply receive the form, complete it, and send it back without the owner/CEO even being notified.

The bottom line, however, is going to be the "gun-friendliness" of whomever sees that piece of paper with your name on it. In a worst case scenario, you could potentially be fired if your company/boss is not 2A friendly. Of course, you probably wouldn't be fired just for applying for the CCW (that would be probably be a slam-dunk case if they did), but if they're anti and don't like having a "gun-nut" in their midst, they'll find some legitimate reason to get rid of you.

Probably more likely, though, is that their anti-2a sentiments will start influencing their decisions in regards to you and your employment. To the people at your employer that know about your ccw application, you'll always be "the guy that wants to carry a gun"...which as we know, not everyone understands or appreciates. Does that mean you may get passed up on for a promotion? Possibly. Will it change your interactions with these people socially? Possibly. If they're gun-unfriendly, you can be sure that it will influence their opinion of you in some way, shape, or form...and probably not for the better.

With the state of economy the way it is right now, and the prospects of finding alternate employment so poor, it's an extremely difficult step to take for many of us.
Old 04-09-2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
To add you now have to qualify with that firearm first. Not a problem. I would make your appointment with the range and get signed off on it first. Then take your approval (student copy) into the SBSO and pay your $24 dollars, have your firearm ran through the system and do the paperwork (pretty painless and in one trip). You may have to wait up to 6 weeks for your new permit with the added firearm(s). After your permit is ready you will have to surrender your old permit in person or by mail (so you will be without the ability to carry till the new amended permit arrives if you do the mail option).
Just silly. The changes under Sheriff Hoops have just been dumb. It used to be when you went through the initial class you qualified with one of your 3 listed guns and they told you that it would be good for you to seek further training, but it was up to you. The initial qualification was all about safe firearms handling. When you did a change, you simply brought in the new weapon with your CCW. The detective would copy down the numbers to make sure it was accurate on the license and make a comment about your new "Hawg leg" or slick new piece and mail you your new CCW within a week or so. Now qualifications with all the guns and with any changes... what if you added another copy of the same gun? I have two identical guns on my CCW, what is gained with "qualifying" with it?

Driving back and forth to the ONE location in a county the size of San Bernardino can be a REAL hardship. There are parts of the county that are a 4 hour drive to the location where you have to go in order to pick up your new license. Once is bad, twice is just ridiculous. It has been sad to watch this once very pro-ccw department start to slide.

Just silly.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Any comments from those who have been through the process on how a DUI is viewed? It isn't a firearms related infraction, but I know it is sometimes a dis-qualifier for other things. Again, it has been over 3 years and it happened while in college.
Old 04-11-2012, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNinthArmory View Post
Any comments from those who have been through the process on how a DUI is viewed? It isn't a firearms related infraction, but I know it is sometimes a dis-qualifier for other things. Again, it has been over 3 years and it happened while in college.
Generally yes it is a dis-qualifier. The more time between the occurrence and application the better. The people who I have spoken with who have been successful with a DUI on their record have had more than 15 years of clean record between then and now. I wouldn't advise anybody against applying, but your odds are very slim.
Old 04-12-2012, 9:57 AM

Please clarify things for me. I work for a LARGE California university. We have a huge faceless HR department. My immediate supervisor is EXTREMELY anti 2A. If the sheriff contacts my HR dept, Im good with that. Like I said, they are huge and faceless. If the contact my immediate supervisor, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes out of his way to purposely tank my chances of getting a LTC. So do they contact HR, or my immediate supervisor, or both?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Monkeywrench View Post
Please clarify things for me. I work for a LARGE California university. We have a huge faceless HR department. My immediate supervisor is EXTREMELY anti 2A. If the sheriff contacts my HR dept, Im good with that. Like I said, they are huge and faceless. If the contact my immediate supervisor, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes out of his way to purposely tank my chances of getting a LTC. So do they contact HR, or my immediate supervisor, or both?
The HR department for my school was the only people/person contacted. The letter was received, entered the Human Resources bureaucracy, filtered through the red tape, and sent out. No one else, from my immediate Dean to the Chancellor, has been informed.

One unique occasion where the faceless state machinery came in handy!

Last edited by WASR10; 04-12-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
The HR department for my school was the only people/person contacted. The letter was received, entered the Human Resources bureaucracy, filtered through the red tape, and sent out. No one else, from my immediate Dean to the Chancellor, has been informed.

One unique occasion where the faceless state machinery came in handy!
Man, you have no idea how much stress you just relieved me of!!
That is awesome news!!
I was stressed because I know how anti my supervisor is; I could care less if if our HR dept knows.
Old 04-12-2012, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Monkeywrench View Post
They will contact the persona and address you put down on the form. Give them the HR department as a contact point for your employer.
Old 04-12-2012, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauga View Post
Just silly. The changes under Sheriff Hoops have just been dumb. It used to be when you went through the initial class you qualified with one of your 3 listed guns and they told you that it would be good for you to seek further training, but it was up to you. The initial qualification was all about safe firearms handling. When you did a change, you simply brought in the new weapon with your CCW. The detective would copy down the numbers to make sure it was accurate on the license and make a comment about your new "Hawg leg" or slick new piece and mail you your new CCW within a week or so. Now qualifications with all the guns and with any changes... what if you added another copy of the same gun? I have two identical guns on my CCW, what is gained with "qualifying" with it?

Driving back and forth to the ONE location in a county the size of San Bernardino can be a REAL hardship. There are parts of the county that are a 4 hour drive to the location where you have to go in order to pick up your new license. Once is bad, twice is just ridiculous. It has been sad to watch this once very pro-ccw department start to slide.

Just silly.
Well I figure it’s their game so you have to play by their rules. I don’t think qualifying in a bad idea; I saw a lot of people on the range shooting in my class that couldn’t even put their rounds in the center chest at 15 feet! And they where shooting full size autos!!! I asked a few people “So did you practice before you came to class?” I got a lot of head shakes and shoulder shrugs. If you’re going to carry a 38spl +P Air Light J Frame you better practice with it or you’re going to end up killing someone you didn’t intend to shoot behind the perp.

I know SBSD are shifting a lot of personal around to cover the over crowding in the jail system or so I was told.

It is what it is but would be nice to be able to take care of everything with one day off and in one trip.

Especially when I get a whopping 16 miles per gallon.

Old 04-12-2012, 2:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Just silly.
Many agencies make their officers/deputies qualify with anything they are going to carry. (Primary, back-up, off duty)...

I don't know if this is a POST requirement, but its not a bad idea... I'll admit that I own guns that I don't shoot as well as I would like...
Old 04-12-2012, 2:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

San Bernardino is enforcing unlawful requirements. They are also collecting a lot of money and not performing the services that money serves to provide for.

If anyone is denied or suffers delay or monetary damages because of the unlawful policies and practices of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office, please email me at bcombs at calgunsfoundation dot org.

-Brandon

Quote:

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 04-12-2012, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Many agencies make their officers/deputies qualify with anything they are going to carry. (Primary, back-up, off duty)...

I don't know if this is a POST requirement, but its not a bad idea... I'll admit that I own guns that I don't shoot as well as I would like...
Ya me too, but I don’t think I will be putting my Glock 20 10mm on my permit. LOL

It took longer to get from the range office to the range then it did to shoot/reload/shoot…….

Hahahahahahaahah...............

Old 04-14-2012, 7:45 AM

Quote:

That is because those agencies are responsible for what those officers do with their guns and they need to document proficiency. It is not appropriate to hold civilians to a professional standard. The person responsible for a civilian who carries a concealed firearm is that civilian. It is in THEIR (the civilian's) interest to get training and be proficient, but it is not the place of the department to REQUIRE that.

I would suggest that you to get more training and practice with your firearms before you decide to carry them, but beyond a basic ability to handle your firearm safely (ie: keep it pointed in a safe direction, knowing what makes it go bang and that you can function the controls while still keeping it pointed in a safe direction) the sheriff is overstepping his bounds in attempting to place these requirements on civilians not employed by his department.
Old 04-14-2012, 8:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That is because those agencies are responsible for what those officers do with their guns and they need to document proficiency. It is not appropriate to hold civilians to a professional standard. The person responsible for a civilian who carries a concealed firearm is that civilian. It is in THEIR (the civilian's) interest to get training and be proficient, but it is not the place of the department to REQUIRE that.

I would suggest that you to get more training and practice with your firearms before you decide to carry them, but beyond a basic ability to handle your firearm safely (ie: keep it pointed in a safe direction, knowing what makes it go bang and that you can function the controls while still keeping it pointed in a safe direction) the sheriff is overstepping his bounds in attempting to place these requirements on civilians not employed by his department.
I agree with the first paragraph, and disagree with the second, I believe that anyone that carries a firearm should be able to demonstrate a minimum level of competence with it...

I agree with your training comment, I have trained quite a bit with a few different instructors. (the most enlightening was force on force, the most challenging was low light)

I don't know how many firearms you own, and you don't know how many I own. But, once you have accumulated a large number of them, I expect that you will find that there are some that you just don't shoot as well as others.

I don't shoot a Sig P225 as well as I shoot a P226, P228, P229...

I don't shoot a S&W 39 series as well as I shoot a S&W 59 series...

1911's are always a pleasure to shoot, and fairly easy to shoot well...

Glock model 21 grip is a little too large to be comfortable, but they are reliable and some people love that design.

I don't shoot a S&W J frame as well as I shoot a S&W K, L, or N frame...( Even the 2" K frames)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I agree with the first paragraph, and disagree with the second, I believe that anyone that carries a firearm should be able to demonstrate a minimum level of competence with it...
And who decides the "minimum level of competence"? Is it the agency that requires the applicant to don a flak vest, helmet and complete a rigidly scored and timed course of fire? There is one.

Previously the Sheriff's dept in San Bernardino County required an applicant to shoot one of the listed guns a total of 10 rounds that required a reload during the process for an unscored course of fire. The purpose of this course of fire was for you to demonstrate a minimum level of competence and safety with the weapon. The instructor watched the shooter, not the target. If you kept your weapon pointed in a safe direction, fired your rounds safely, reloaded without pointing your weapon in an unsafe direction and handled your weapon in a safe manner even after you completed your course of fire, you passed. Afterwards it was suggested that you get further training. To me, that is the extent of the Sheriff's responsibility.

In my class there was an elderly gentleman who was using a walker following surgery. In a friends class there was a woman whose previous experience with firearms had only been with other people shooting her with them. One of the deputies spent quite a bit of time helping her get comfortable with her gun. Should they not be able to defend themselves because they haven't demonstrated an ability to the Sheriff to shoot like Dirty Harry?

To me, minimum level of competency is showing safe handling skills and showing that you are not going to accidentally shoot somebody, beyond that you are on your own to get training and if you fail in that you are on the hook legally if you act in a negligent manner. Many other states require no live fire qualification for their CCWs, why should we? Why should we attempt to throw up barriers to good people having the capability to protect themselves? For the record, the state of California has no requirement to have ANY live fire training for the CCW process.