Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2020, 10:13 AM

Default AR-15 pistol question

A friend of mine is getting gifted an AR-15 pistol from his dad. His dad is an out of state resident and my buddy is wondering if that pistol, which will be maglocked, will need to be registered as semi-auto pistol or single shot? Any help on this question will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2020, 7:54 PM

Donít know enough to give you advice except to suggest using Gusslerís for the transfer.
Old 06-18-2020, 8:15 AM

I don’t think you have to go through an FFL like you would with a regular PPT.

And if the pistol has a Maglock then you should register it as a semi-auto pistol.
Old 06-18-2020, 8:16 AM

Go here and scroll about half way down to the section titled Report of Intra-familial Firearms Transfer...

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/online-reporting#if
Old 06-18-2020, 8:26 AM

Yes, it must go through a California FFL. The dealer should DROS it as a semi auto pistol.
Old 06-18-2020, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
Yes, it must go through a California FFL. The dealer should DROS it as a semi auto pistol.
Based on the link I posted above, it doesnít seem that an FFL needs to be involved.

I have a friend whose father lives In Mississippi. My friend flies to see his dad once a year. Together they go into a gun shop, his father purchases a gun, they walk out, my friend gets on a plane, puts the gun in an approved case and checks his baggage. When he arrives back home in California he simply fills out the Intra-Familial transfer paper and mails it to the DOJ. He has done this 3 or 4 times.

I met this person because he was selling one of his guns he had acquired this way. We met at a local FFL and did the PPT.

No hiccups with the PPT. We successfully transferred the gun that had been registered to him, to me.
Old 06-18-2020, 8:39 AM

Additionally on this topic...

Going the out of state, Intra-Familial transfer route allows Californians to legally register off-roster pistols.

I have recently successfully registered a Glock 19 gen 4.
Old 06-18-2020, 9:06 AM

It is a felony (federal and California) for a California resident to receive possession of a firearm from a different stateís resident and bring it back to California. The other state resident must deliver it to a California FFL dealer for transfer to the California resident.
Old 06-18-2020, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
It is a felony (federal and California) for a California resident to receive possession of a firearm from a different stateís resident and bring it back to California. The other state resident must deliver it to a California FFL dealer for transfer to the California resident.
Even father to son? Didnít know. Glad I havenít done that.
Old 06-18-2020, 9:20 AM

So the link I posted above regarding Intra-Familial transfers must only apply to family within the state.

“The firearm being reported was acquired in-state as a gift from an immediate family member (as defined by Penal Code section 16720)”

Last edited by Sawateam; 06-18-2020 at 9:23 AM..
Old 06-18-2020, 11:11 AM

^^^ Correct. And you just "outed" your friend and his father as probable felons.
Old 06-18-2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
^^^ Correct. And you just "outed" your friend and his father as probable felons.
They are already out. Of the closet. 😂
Old 06-18-2020, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawateam View Post
Go here and scroll about half way down to the section titled Report of Intra-familial Firearms Transfer...

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/online-reporting#if
This. Only need to submit this form if transferring between son and father, or grandson and grandfather.

DROS AR pistol as semi-auto and make sure it has the necessary mag-lock gear.
Old 06-18-2020, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE View Post
This. Only need to submit this form if transferring between son and father, or grandson and grandfather.

DROS AR pistol as semi-auto and make sure it has the necessary mag-lock gear.
Wrong.

Your link goes to the California DOJ Form for the reporting of an intrafamiliar transfer of a firearm under California law.

It's federal law that is at issue here, and the California Form and the related California statutes are quite irrelevant to the federal law issue.

Please refer to 18 USC 922(a)(3). That is the law that would be violated by the OP's proposed course of action. Violation is a felony. Here is the text:

"(It shall be unlawful)...for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;"
Old 06-19-2020, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Wrong.

Your link goes to the California DOJ Form for the reporting of an intrafamiliar transfer of a firearm under California law.

It's federal law that is at issue here, and the California Form and the related California statutes are quite irrelevant to the federal law issue.

Please refer to 18 USC 922(a)(3). That is the law that would be violated by the OP's proposed course of action. Violation is a felony. Here is the text:

"(It shall be unlawful)...for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;"
I stand corrected. Had to read more into it myself
Old 06-19-2020, 2:07 PM
Banned

Must go to and thru ffl. Must be complete assembled ar pistol ca compliant with fixed mag..
Old 06-20-2020, 9:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I converted mine to a rifle. AR pistols are a legal trap.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE View Post
I stand corrected. Had to read more into it myself
Don't feel bad. The state of California's law, and the interplay between state and federal law is really confusing.

If the OP's father were a California resident, it would be really simple. It's the difference in state residency that's causing the problems.