Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2018, 1:44 PM

Default Another one lost for good - online order/transfer fee increase?

Not a huge deal, but I felt like sharing.

I just got off the phone with a sales rep from the Orange location. I had just ordered a rifle online, and the website requests that the buyer make sure the receiving FFL sends a copy of the FFL to the online store. NP, a phone call or two should wrap up that loose end, at least so I thought.

First, I asked if they would send a copy of their FFL to the place of purchse for the online order transfer. The first thing he says to me is, "what gun is it? If we sell it, we will not accept the transfer!" I'm not really sure why they wouldn't accept the business, even if its over a few dollars and custoemr satisfaction. Well, I gave him the make/model, and it cleared - they don't seel it (I had already checked before anyway).

Then, the rep says, "The transfer fee is $75." I paused for a moment because two months ago I was quoted $50 for the same type of transfer. I asked if the cost went up, he said he wasn't sure, but that is what his manager told him. I originally selected Turners because it was (what I thought) a fair price and it was on my way home from work, so it was an easy stop to do DROS paperwork.

After I figured, fine, I'll pay the $75 and never go back again, the sales rep says that they absolutely could not send their FFL to the sending FFL unless I come in. This is something I have NEVER had to do with any other online order, and I've done 4 in the last 6 months. Again, the rep said that is what his manager told him.

Now, I'm at my limits with a rude sales rep and a list of things I have to do and pay to get my rifle in my hands.

LUCKILY, I was able to contact the wonderful people at GunsMidwest.com and they changed my FFL transfer location to Riflegear (who has handled my last two transactions seamlessly). They let me know Riflegear's FFL was on-file, and I didn't need to do anything else. They emailed me back within 5 minutes, btw!

So, what I learned:

- Turners will not accept online transfers if they carry the product.

- Turners online transfer - $75 (even though I was quoted $50 before); DROS - $30; +tax (did I forget any charges?)

- Must go in person to get Turners send their FFL.

- Don't go to Turners for FFL transfers(.)

- GunsMidwest.com was exceedingly helpful at the time I needed it most.

Be safe all!

Please help our community look better by using the most correct terminology. It sounds bad when you call your paper/clay-shooter a weapon. California is already bad enough. Help to increase awareness and erase ignorance.

weap·on (wepən) noun - a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.
- a means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest.

Last edited by Klipsh; 10-01-2018 at 2:52 PM..
Old 10-04-2018, 1:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Sorry for the run around and miscommunications. Let me clear up a few things. We do only accept transfers on those guns we do not carry because in most cases we are going to be able to get you a better price after factoring in shipping and receiving costs. The $75 transfer fee has always been such and I apologize for the miscommunication the first time, I can imagine that would be frustrating. Also, I know it does seem like a few hoops to jump through but we are a rather large company and the reason we require the customer to come in and pay the fee in store first is so we have a paper trail and info on file. If not, random guns show up and we have no idea what's going on with them. Smaller shops may not have to deal with those issues but with the multiple locations and central warehouse many times guns are not sent to the proper destination and the invoice and customer info help us to remedy those situations. I hope you'll give us another shot to earn back your business in the future and maybe consider looking into a special order if we don't have what your looking for.

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill | Temecula
| Torrance | Victorville | West Covina | Salinas | Sacramento | Fresno | Modesto | Roseville | Stockton | Santa Clarita | Fresno |Bakersfield| West Bakersfield | Palm Desert | Tucson|

33 Throughout California
Store Location Info
Our Weekly Ad
Join our e-mail list!
Old 10-04-2018, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I could have sworn at one time ship in fees at Turner's were like $175 to discourage you from even doing so. Who even does ship ins to Turner's? Especially when there is places that do it for half that price and less hassle?
Old 10-04-2018, 8:52 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

$75? In 2010, I was quoted $165 (and would not transfer anything they sold) by Chino Hills.

OC Indoor is one of the better deals in the area, but they would not transfer "black rifles" in 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.