Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-29-2019, 2:53 AM

Default Threadless Compensator

Anyone have a line on a compensator for a handgun (glock 17 specifically) that attaches in a way other than the threaded barrel? CA law prohibits a threaded barrel and I'd like to put a compensator on my next build...
Old 05-29-2019, 3:36 AM

Check out https://darkhourdefense.com. They make a compensated Glock stand off devices that attaches using the rail.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 AM

If it’s not attached to the barrel it won’t do anything to mitigate recoil.

Having the barrel/slide ported would be your best bet, you also could keep an eye out for a (now discontinued) Glock C series that is factory ported.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Why not permanently attach a comp to a threaded barrel?

Disassemble gun
Install threaded barrel
Install and time brake

Have machinist or Randall pin and weld the pin

Assemble slide onto gun?

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-29-2019, 11:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVth Horseman View Post

Having the barrel/slide ported would be your best bet, you also could keep an eye out for a (now discontinued) Glock C series that is factory ported.
yea all i could come up with is one of them old federal ord extended barrels with the two ports that looked like they were made with a chainsaw file
Old 05-29-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:

This my first experience with a comp, but for what it's worth I noticed a difference with the dark hour mounted on a Gen 3 G19... maybe it's just the added weight. I also considered a permanent barrel & comp or porting the barrel & slide, but each option had its downside.

OP - I shoot at On Target in OC, send me a PM if you want to check one out in person.
Old 05-29-2019, 5:14 PM

Didn't Strike Industries make one as well? It attached via a special recoil spring rod...

Dan
Old 05-29-2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Didn't Strike Industries make one as well? It attached via a special recoil spring rod...

Dan

Last I checked SI would only work on Gen4 and the Gen3 version was in development, but it looks really nice.
Old 05-29-2019, 6:22 PM

Wouldn't a comp attached with set screws to a dimpled barrel work? It might even be better since it wouldn't have to be indexed.

This doesn't exist as far as I know.
Old 05-29-2019, 6:29 PM
567-68-0515
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: You must have really bad eyesight to think guns look phallic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlentzner View Post
Wouldn't a comp attached with set screws to a dimpled barrel work? It might even be better since it wouldn't have to be indexed.

This doesn't exist as far as I know.
Between Dr. Dremel and HF, somebody can make this happen. Start with an extended barrel and go nuts from there. The comp thingy on my Oly Arms 10mm upper is set screw attached.
Old 05-29-2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Highwayman View Post
This my first experience with a comp, but for what it's worth I noticed a difference with the dark hour mounted on a Gen 3 G19...
I've put quite a few rounds through my GSOD and I definitely notice a decrease in muzzle flip. I had one of the early model GSOD's, and Dark Hour Defense sent me a complimentary upgrade. I'm happy with both the product and company.
Old 05-29-2019, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe an extended and ported barrel?
Old 05-29-2019, 8:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Let me disagree with you. Did you see Sig P220 Sport with Comp? It is not attached to the barrel and it is very effective. I used own one of those-very effective comp.

Here is painting of mine LOL Only one image left.

Here is image from internet

Last edited by Palmaris; 05-29-2019 at 8:45 PM..
Old 09-17-2019, 11:46 AM

Default FTI threadless compensator

Hey guys! I just wanted to jump on here and let you know about a project of mine. I'm trying to get this threadless compensator made but need help getting it funded! I currently own a non firearm related company and this is just a pet project as someone who wants this for myself haha. Anyway I hope it's okay I'm posting this here I just wanted to tell you guys about this thing and hopefully we can drum up enough support to make it a reality! Let me know if you have any questions about it and I'd be happy to go over it in more detail.

You can check it out here

http://forbiddentactical.com/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg prototype v4.2 mock up on glock 19 logos removed.jpg (5.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-17-2019, 12:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Why not permanently attach a comp to a threaded barrel?

Disassemble gun
Install threaded barrel
Install and time brake

Have machinist or Randall pin and weld the pin

Assemble slide onto gun?
Most plastic guns are field-stripped by pulling muzzle through the slide. A permanently attached compensator would prevent this process and even replacement of the recoil spring without removing the compensator.

OP wants it on Glock 17, so it will require the ability to remove the compensator, regardless of how it's implemented.

For comparison, a 1911/2011 is field-stripped by removing the barrel bushing and pulling the *breech* of the barrel through the slide. This allows for proper and permanently attached compensator that doesn't require threads or any other type of non-permanent connection.
Old 09-17-2019, 1:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Weapons Armament Research used to make this and claimed it was CA compliant.
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...MPENSATOR-quot

They now make this but its speendy
https://weaponsarmamentresearch.com/...ner-wide-body/
Old 09-17-2019, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Strike Industries has one.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-17-2019, 1:49 PM

Strike's is cool but it's only for the gen 4 so that's off roster. This compensator works on gen 3s and is a non-threaded barrel. Also only about $200 with the barrel included.

https://forbiddentactical.com/products/fti-comp

This is just a mock up obviously but the prototype is completely designed and ready to be produced. Just need the funds to start producing it.
Old 09-17-2019, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Most plastic guns are field-stripped by pulling muzzle through the slide. A permanently attached compensator would prevent this process and even replacement of the recoil spring without removing the compensator.

OP wants it on Glock 17, so it will require the ability to remove the compensator, regardless of how it's implemented.
That's how they all were back in the day. All the race guns were built this way, my Springfield P9 Factory Comp, etc. You can remove the recoil spring and guide without problem. You just have to clean it from the muzzle end or use a pull-through cleaner.
Old 09-17-2019, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Adding a tlr-1 reduces recoil and it also serves a function.
Old 09-17-2019, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post

Dan
They did and there is probably a good reason it's NLA. Plus, added weight on the slide reduces ammo options. In CA, factory compensated barrels (and matching slides, factory or custom milled) or ported extended barrels are the way to go. Like most Strike products, their slide comp is more for looks. Whatever reduction in felt recoil is due to the added weight (and slower cycling slide).

If modifying factory barrel and slide, consider Mag-na-port. Smaller ports, less chance of debris from entering. https://magnaport.com/hgun.html

17C barrels can be had. Slides are harder to come by. Lone Wolf offered C style slide porting at one point. Not sure if they still do.

FS/FT: Kel Tec KSG Enhanced, OC

Last edited by fmunk; 09-17-2019 at 8:21 PM..
Old 09-18-2019, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
They did and there is probably a good reason it's NLA. Plus, added weight on the slide reduces ammo options. In CA, factory compensated barrels (and matching slides, factory or custom milled) or ported extended barrels are the way to go. Like most Strike products, their slide comp is more for looks. Whatever reduction in felt recoil is due to the added weight (and slower cycling slide).

If modifying factory barrel and slide, consider Mag-na-port. Smaller ports, less chance of debris from entering. https://magnaport.com/hgun.html

17C barrels can be had. Slides are harder to come by. Lone Wolf offered C style slide porting at one point. Not sure if they still do.

This FTI Comp is a true 4-port, barrel mounted compensator with the same port profile and performance as other 4-port compensators but is CA legal with no threaded barrel. It is also way shorter than other comps with the same porting area. You should check it out, we need to get it funded so we can have a real comp here in CA!

http://forbiddentactical.com
Old 09-18-2019, 2:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

During the 1994 AW Ban Bushmaster used a spring loaded ball bearing muzzle brake on their carbon AR 15s. No threads on the barrel, just a groove into which one snapped on the device. Worked fine, stayed in place.
Old 09-18-2019, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Wilson View Post
This FTI Comp is a true 4-port...

Not interested. Don't need it. 9mm doesn't need to be compensated. Are you on RTI's payroll or something? Plus, it's an unfunded concept at this point. As good as vaporware.

Last edited by fmunk; 09-18-2019 at 6:36 PM..
Old 09-18-2019, 7:14 PM

Is it not patented yet? I can’t seem to find any information on how it attaches to that proprietary barrel.
Old 09-19-2019, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Not interested. Don't need it. 9mm doesn't need to be compensated. Are you on RTI's payroll or something? Plus, it's an unfunded concept at this point. As good as vaporware.

No I'm just a guy in California who wants a compensator haha. Yes it is just an unfunded concept right now but I don't think I'm the only one who wants something like this, hopefully we can get it funded. The prototypes are being made right now though so once that's done I'll have them sent out to some guys to review etc.

As for the necessity of it sure you could argue it's not needed but the same argument could be made about aftermarket triggers, red dots, stippling, magwells etc. etc.
Old 09-19-2019, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Is it not patented yet? I can’t seem to find any information on how it attaches to that proprietary barrel.

Yes I am keeping it somewhat vague until the patent is sorted out but basically it is locked onto the barrel with a set screw and it installs exactly the same way you would a threaded compensator. So cleaning and take down are all the same as with a standard threaded compensator as well.
Old 09-19-2019, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It could be anything simple that's not a thread, as in, it doesn't have inclined surfaces. So it could be like a 3 lug except with 2 lugs like a Gemtech bi-lock. Similar to a bolt action rifle's lugs.

The problem is you'll have to buy their proprietary barrel, and the fact that hardly anyone outside of California would want it, which limits their market and makes these parts very expensive.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Yes I am keeping it somewhat vague until the patent is sorted out but basically it is locked onto the barrel with a set screw and it installs exactly the same way you would a threaded compensator. So cleaning and take down are all the same as with a standard threaded compensator as well.
So you ARE the owner of this site and trying to schlock your junk to us.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
So you ARE the owner of this site and trying to schlock your junk to us.
Actually I am the owner of THIS site, he is the owner of THAT site.

I am aware that he is discussing his product under development and is not a Vendor.
At this point there is no product to sell so it's not a problem, I'm sure once this becomes available for retail sale he'll contact Dave and become a Vendor.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:53 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
It could be anything simple that's not a thread, as in, it doesn't have inclined surfaces. So it could be like a 3 lug except with 2 lugs like a Gemtech bi-lock. Similar to a bolt action rifle's lugs.
Reminder that, under CA regulations as of 07-31-2017, "barrel lugs" are also considered a "threaded barrel". [11 CCR 5471(rr)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-19-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Actually I am the owner of THIS site, he is the owner of THAT site.

I am aware that he is discussing his product under development and is not a Vendor.
At this point there is no product to sell so it's not a problem, I'm sure once this becomes available for retail sale he'll contact Dave and become a Vendor.

Hi Kestryll sorry if I wasn't supposed to post something like this! I just saw this thread and wanted to let people know what I am trying to do. I will definitely go through the process and become a vendor once we are up and running.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Reminder that, under CA regulations as of 07-31-2017, "barrel lugs" are also considered a "threaded barrel". [11 CCR 5471(rr)]
Yes, our barrel design does not have lugs nor is it capable of accepting other attachments like suppressors etc.
Old 10-08-2019, 7:22 PM

https://www.strikeindustries.com/sho...comp-1461.html

Looks like Strike Industries finally has released the gen3 version of the threadless comp.

Dan
Old 10-08-2019, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are you on RTI's payroll or something?

Quote:
No I'm just a guy in California who wants a compensator haha...
o_O

I knew something smelled fishy.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Oh dang they finally released it! I gave up after we never heard anything on their first g3 comp post years back.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
o_O

I knew something smelled fishy.

I still don't know what this is referring to though haha. What do you mean?
Old 10-09-2019, 7:53 PM

For Glocks:

Why not just cut the magazine catch in half so the button side can't be pressed without a tool of some sort.

Also, only use 10 round magazines.
Old 10-10-2019, 3:38 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
For Glocks:

Why not just cut the magazine catch in half so the button side can't be pressed without a tool of some sort.

Also, only use 10 round magazines.
Because that no longer meets the definition of a "fixed magazine".
~It was acceptable method from 2000-2016.

Starting 01-01-2017, a "fixed magazine" is an ammunition feeding device that is contained in the firearm and that can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action or that is permanently attached in the firearm's magazine well.

So, for a Glock pistol to have a "fixed magazine":
Option 1.
The magazine needs to be locked into the grip in a manner that prevents it's removal until after the slide is removed from the frame.
Option 2.
The magazine is permanently attached (epoxy/riveted) into the grip.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-10-2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Because that no longer meets the definition of a "fixed magazine".
F this state

Last edited by Snoopy47; 10-10-2019 at 8:41 PM..