Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:58 PM

Default C308

Anyone have one? Been wanting one for a long time...finally gonna bite the bullet.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:05 PM

I’ve got a PTR and it’s great! Heard the Century ones had reliability issues. Maybe those have been resolved?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 PM

PTR is close enough in price it's worth saving up a little more and getting a much better product.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

^Agreed
Old 09-20-2019, 5:20 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
I’ve got a PTR and it’s great! Heard the Century ones had reliability issues. Maybe those have been resolved?
They are still hit or miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrat View Post
PTR is close enough in price it's worth saving up a little more and getting a much better product.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 09-20-2019 at 5:22 AM..
Old 09-20-2019, 5:33 AM

Not a C308, but I have a PTR 32 and it is outstanding.
Gotta love the rollerlocks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20157146_10211535791884301_5844917865316561695_o.jpg (102.2 KB, 111 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

There's a guy in the Marketplace that's been trying to sell his off for $500, still not sold after several months. That should be a good indicator.
Old 09-20-2019, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

There are dozens of century arms g3 clones at our local gun shows, gun store used isles and pawn shops etc for a reason. Save up and get a PTR. It’s as close as you’ll get to an HK91. I’ve owned an Hk91 and currently own a PTR91 GI and it is perfect. Bolt gap was spot on when new and still is after many many rounds. Welds are perfect. Fit finish and function are perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 6:45 AM
retired Goon

The Century Arms C308 is not really a G3/HK91 clone.
It's a CETME Model C parts kit on a US made HK91 style reciever.
They did so that it can use the less expensive G3 magazines, instead of the more expensive CETME magazines.
So, it's essentially a bastardized CETME/HK91 rifle.
The reliability issues mostly come from forcing/modifying the non-compatible parts to work together.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
The Century Arms C308 is not really a G3/HK91 clone.
It's a CETME Model C parts kit on a US made HK91 style reciever.
They did so that it can use the less expensive G3 magazines, instead of the more expensive CETME magazines.
So, it's essentially a bastardized CETME/HK91 rifle.
The reliability issues mostly come from forcing/modifying the non-compatible parts to work together.

That and complete substandard assemblage of the kits including grinding bolts to get a “false” proper bolt gap. Total bs and a misunderstanding of how roller lock guns work which can lead to a dangerous gun to fire after they wear in a bit.

PTR has had its share of F-ups along the way admittedly. From too tight of chambers to too shallow and too few chamber flutes.
Those issues have been fleshed out years ago and PTR is making a very fine reliable rifle. They never did stupid stuff like grind bolts to get a bolt gap that can result in a dangerous gun. They just had early guns that wouldn’t run well or at all on certain ammo.

Old 09-24-2019, 8:09 PM

I have a PTR and love it. Worth every dollar one will cost you.
Old 09-24-2019, 8:45 PM

I have an early PTR when they were still using some surplus HK parts. The whole bolt barrier group is real HK
Old 09-24-2019, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
I have an early PTR when they were still using some surplus HK parts. The whole bolt barrier group is real HK

Money!

Old 09-28-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrat View Post
How close?
Old 09-28-2019, 11:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrysnarf View Post
How close?
From the $900s on up...

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/taxons/ptr-industries

"Buy once, cry once."

-- Michael
Old 09-29-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
From the $900s on up...

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/taxons/ptr-industries

"Buy once, cry once."

-- Michael
Talking about 300 to 400....could use that for ammo
Old 09-29-2019, 1:09 AM

C’mon guys. I thought everyone owned at least one gun from Century.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post23409618
Old 09-29-2019, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw559 View Post
I have yet to have one lol
Old 09-29-2019, 10:32 AM

I have a PTR91 GI-R in FDE. It’s a great hk style clone that’s reliable and fun to shoot. It’s a big mo’ f’er but it doesn’t feel that way as far as maneuverability goes. It’s not my 14.5 colt of course but for a 308 battle rifle, it’s pretty maneuverable. I would not go with a c308. I see people all the time post them on here for 800 bucks and 4 months later they’re willing to take 400 and it’s still not sold. That should definitely show you the name the c308 has in the firearms community. If people are passing up a 400 dollar semi auto 308 rifle (especially with dems so quick to try and ban anything that isn’t a musket), there must be something wrong with the rifle. Look how fast PTRs sell on the forums. Pretty quick

The PTR91 is tried and true and most ppl will back that up (except for the HK91 owners who think us PTR guys are the scabs of the earth!!). I have an HK91 that’s out of state and I can confirm that ptr did it right.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw559 View Post
We do! Lol. WASRs
Old 09-29-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrysnarf View Post
Talking about 300 to 400....could use that for ammo
Well if you buy a c308 and 300 worth of ammo, and the c308 sucks butt like many of them do, then you gotta turn around and buy a ptr and then you’re wasting a lot more than a couple hundred bucks

Buy a Ptr91, buy some ammo, enjoy
Old 09-29-2019, 10:35 AM

If it has a rail on it then it was built by PTR Industries. Should be just as reliable as the PTR's.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:37 AM

I used to own a C308 and it was a pile of dog crap. Globby paint finish and worn out parts kit made for a rifle that couldn't be zeroed with iron sights and had a light primer strike every 9th or 10th round. Buy once, cry once. PTR really is THAT much better.
Old 09-29-2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919_4_ME View Post
If it has a rail on it then it was built by PTR Industries. Should be just as reliable as the PTR's.
It does have a rail
Old 09-29-2019, 2:37 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
That and complete substandard assemblage of the kits including grinding bolts to get a “false” proper bolt gap. Total bs and a misunderstanding of how roller lock guns work which can lead to a dangerous gun to fire after they wear in a bit.

PTR has had its share of F-ups along the way admittedly. From too tight of chambers to too shallow and too few chamber flutes.
Those issues have been fleshed out years ago and PTR is making a very fine reliable rifle. They never did stupid stuff like grind bolts to get a bolt gap that can result in a dangerous gun. They just had early guns that wouldn’t run well or at all on certain ammo.

To be perfectly fair, those "problems" were actually features that performed as designed, but didn't fit the general wants of the public.

The original Precision Target Rifle-PTR was designed with a match chamber and barrel with 10 flutes that were shallower than milspec. These produced better accuracy, softer recoil, and less brass damage- however they were designed as target rifles to be used with clean match ammunition. They were never meant to run bulk ammo, especially not the tar sealed south african surplus.

After a few years of issues from customers using dirty cheap ammo, they went back to the original design with 11 deeper flutes and a looser chamber, so theres no issue unless you have a very early PTR, and even then its only a problem with cheap ammo- it can be a very accurate and fun gun as long as you pay the price for good ammo
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-29-2019, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
To be perfectly fair, those "problems" were actually features that performed as designed, but didn't fit the general wants of the public.

The original Precision Target Rifle-PTR was designed with a match chamber and barrel with 10 flutes that were shallower than milspec. These produced better accuracy, softer recoil, and less brass damage- however they were designed as target rifles to be used with clean match ammunition. They were never meant to run bulk ammo, especially not the tar sealed south african surplus.

After a few years of issues from customers using dirty cheap ammo, they went back to the original design with 11 deeper flutes and a looser chamber, so theres no issue unless you have a very early PTR, and even then its only a problem with cheap ammo- it can be a very accurate and fun gun as long as you pay the price for good ammo

You are very correct and I should have stated such in my post. It was even advertised as a more precise version and they included a list of acceptable ammo for these guns when you bought one. Me like many other HK91 owners wanted a gun that ran like a 91 on milsurp ammo. I ended up selling my original ptr because of that, and have since replaced it with a GI version that does run on milsurp. The originals were great guns and included many german parts and worked perfectly if used with the recommended ammunition. Thank you for the correction for historical accuracy.

Old 09-29-2019, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

I don't have a Century, but I do have an SAR 8, the Greek HK 91, and it's the bomb. I've only ran early '70s Indian NATO in it, and it runs great. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 AM

I was wondering a voyager. But pricey. I figure a c308 is God enough to start me off. Just wondering what other owners would say

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk