Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 09-17-2019, 4:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Free-state travel, does "carry" include checked baggage?

Does luggage constitute on-person "carry", once back in this state?
I' d only be lifting it off the conveyor, or up a curb.

I already know it is illegal to buy a knife set at Walmart and take it to your car in the box you bought them in (concealed carry of fixed blades).

I am just wondering if I can take legally owned stuff I could buy from a free-state back home in checked luggage, if it is not kosher to buy here... but legally owned here, and put it in my trunk, after picking up from baggage claim?

(I know if you bring things in with the intent to sell it is an issue, but I am not planning on selling anything.)
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...

Last edited by the86d; 09-17-2019 at 4:40 AM..
Old 09-19-2019, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Nobody 10-foot poling this one with the law quoted?

All I could find:
Carry the switchblade upon your person, or
Sell, offer or expose for sale, or loan, transfer, or give the knife to anyone else.

I haven't even received any PMs on this one...
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...

Last edited by the86d; 09-19-2019 at 8:36 AM..
Old 09-19-2019, 9:27 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Generally speaking, CA knife laws are an 'attitude check'. Absent some other criminal behavior, or a bee in the bonnet of some local administration, nobody bothers anyone about knives.

And, see the Knife Laws sticky at the bottom -
Quote:
In Rubalcava, supra, 23 Cal.4th at page 333, the California Supreme Court acknowledged that the statute "may seem overbroad as a matter of common sense" if it was applied to such innocuous circumstances as a tailor who places a pair of scissors in his jacket, a shopper who walks out of a store with a recently purchased steak knife in his pocket, or a parent who wraps a sharp knife in a paper towel and places it in his coat to take to a PTA potluck dinner. (Id. at pp. 331, 333.) However, the court concluded that it would not find the statute "unconstitutionally overbroad without some concrete impairment of constitutionally protected conduct." (Id. at p. 333.)
Old 09-19-2019, 9:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Can you add what item you are removing from CA and importing or bringing back?

I am just wondering if I can take legally owned stuff I could buy from a free-state back home in checked luggage, if it is not kosher to buy here... but legally owned here, and put it in my trunk, after picking up from baggage claim?

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 09-20-2019, 4:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Thank you Librarian.

Last edited by the86d; 09-20-2019 at 4:21 AM..
Old 09-22-2019, 4:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I just play it safe and leave knives at home