Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism > Temp Post-Duncan Mag Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Default Transferring mags legal?

I can't find any info on this.

Half the for sale posts I see here and elsewhere include standard capacity mags. What is the rule on this? Will PPTs enable the transfer of these? I'm lost on where the law applies here.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No large cap mags may be offered for sale. Use search. No such thing as hicap or standard cap mags in the law. Unless thay are 10 rounders.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Not legal. C & D are currently enjoined from enforcement action, but the rest of the law is still enforceable.

32310 (a) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large-capacity magazine is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.
(b) For purposes of this section, “manufacturing” includes both fabricating a magazine and assembling a magazine from a combination of parts, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, to be a fully functioning large-capacity magazine.
(c) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing July 1, 2017, any person in this state who possesses any large-capacity magazine, regardless of the date the magazine was acquired, is guilty of an infraction punishable by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100) per large-capacity magazine, or is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100) per large-capacity magazine, by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.
(d) Any person who may not lawfully possess a large-capacity magazine commencing July 1, 2017 shall, prior to July 1, 2017:
(1) Remove the large-capacity magazine from the state;
(2) Sell the large-capacity magazine to a licensed firearms dealer; or
(3) Surrender the large-capacity magazine to a law enforcement agency for destruction.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:05 AM

So what is happening to all these people who are listing 15rd mags as being included when they get to their FFL?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Hopefully exchanging them in the parking lot and selling a gun with no magazine as far as the FFL knows.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 AM
U-Haul Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxjon View Post
So what is happening to all these people who are listing 15rd mags as being included when they get to their FFL?
They probably go to a licensed dealer who will permanently block the mags.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I can't find any info on this.

Half the for sale posts I see here and elsewhere include standard capacity mags. What is the rule on this? Will PPTs enable the transfer of these? I'm lost on where the law applies here.
Quote:
I very rarely see any mags offered with a gun here that does not come with some sort of stipulation that they are for LEO only or will not be included, or that they must be blocked by the FFL etc.

And far, far from half the gun listings here are even offered that way. I have seen a lot of listings for a lot of years here. But since you claim to see it that way, I have to question whether you are serious or are able to read and comprehend what is being offered.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-22-2019 at 12:10 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Skyhawks,

I see them frequently here and even more frequently on Armslist. Using the "half the time" expression to denote it being frequent is really something you need to investigate as me being illiterate or dishonest?

Good lord are you just trying to chase people off the forums?
Old 08-31-2019, 7:57 PM

Armslist huh?
Old 08-31-2019, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Srsly armslist? It’s real easy to sell fully semiautomatic multiclip assault unicorn killers when one is a Nigerian prince.
Old 08-31-2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Could you link some of these people on calguns advertising LCM's with a gun sale? I don't care about armslist or gunbroker, as a lot of them are out of state sellers.

I think we all would like to read them.
Old 08-31-2019, 9:59 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
Could you link some of these people on calguns advertising LCM's with a gun sale? I don't care about armslist or gunbroker, as a lot of them are out of state sellers.

I think we all would like to read them.
No he can’t because he is full of it. There is no way, no how he comes up with half either. Sure he might find a bone or two, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Old 09-01-2019, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

I strongly suspect OP is reading "10/30 magazine" or "blocked 30 magazine" and thinks he struck gold but really just hit pyrite.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:36 PM

In my mind, legality is doubtful selling a large-capacity magazine to an LEO by a layperson unless it is through an FFL who is equipped to verify LE status properly. I don't even know if you can do it without a transfer to the FFL who then 'sells' it to the LEO. LEO to LEO appears to be kosher.

Additionally, PPT sellers of a firearm to a layperson are stuck with their freedom magazines as not part of that sale, and may have to sell at great loss to the FFL who needs a LCM permit. Otherwise, blocking said magazines is the only remaining alternative.

'Offers or exposes for sale'- that would likely negate sending the magazines out-of-state in most instances, or even contacting an out-of-state FFL or buyer to sell to them.
The time to get rid of or sell the magazines out-of-state was BEFORE July 1, 2017. BUT, 32310(d) had been found unconstitutional anyway and is on appeal. I really don't know where that leaves us.

Any way a layman looks at it one's hands are substantially tied.

Last edited by savoirrangefaire; 10-06-2019 at 1:08 PM..
Old 10-06-2019, 1:07 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
I strongly suspect OP is reading "10/30 magazine" or "blocked 30 magazine" and thinks he struck gold but really just hit pyrite.
I'm think this as well OR

Sometimes in the medical profession, when a doctor proclaims truth by using the term "in my clinical experience", what they really means is they saw it once. And when they say, "This has always been our best practice", they mean they did it twice.
Old 10-06-2019, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nothing. Do you think the buyers are calling the police?

Old 10-06-2019, 2:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No ffl will legally transfer using large cap mags unless to leo. FUD from linus.