Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-05-2011, 1:00 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
That being said, why even establish rules if they are not going to be enforced?
If you are concerned that rules are not being enforced, there is this little symbol in the top bar of every post - click on the red triangle with the exclamation point in it, and report the post to the mods.

I know for certain I don't read everything, and I'd bet that the whole site is not covered in detail across the whole set of mods.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-05-2011, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
If you are concerned that rules are not being enforced, there is this little symbol in the top bar of every post - click on the red triangle with the exclamation point in it, and report the post to the mods.

I know for certain I don't read everything, and I'd bet that the whole site is not covered in detail across the whole set of mods.
I've seen far too many anti-LE/trolling posts in this forum - often from the same group of anti-LE CG members. I've seen a few threads disappear due to the activities of these idiots (and probably responding posts as well) - which means the offending posts/posters HAD BEEN reported. If things are "bad" enough to warrant deletion of entire threads, including any relevant/worthwhile discussion or information in those threads, why is it that I STILL continue to see these same idiots posting in this section? IMO, if a thread is completely deleted due to trolling/bashing - the trolls/bashers who instigated should also be banned... To me, kinda like pulling someone over for DUI, making them pour out the contents of their open container(s), and then allowing them to continue driving around the area...

Last edited by Samuelx; 08-05-2011 at 1:28 AM..
Old 08-05-2011, 1:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

That would be nice if it wasn't for the fact that another Mod here will use any reporting against you if he does not agree with your opinion on subjects and falsely publicly post how you abuse this system, even if you didn't use it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 08-05-2011, 3:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I am not a LEO.........And I agree with stating that you are not a LEO right up front if you do have something relevant to add to a post because you may be Fire or EMS, etc.

Maybe the LEOs can have a small icon that is assigned to all you guys that shows up next to your user name? That may work?
Yes, because we all see how well received they are in the off-topics let's find a way to point em out for even more hostile treatment.. what's that you say? Make them wear a star on their arms???? /boggle....You used to see alot of PAL stickers and LEO official tags on vehicles there's a reason that doesn't happen much anymore.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 08-05-2011, 4:59 AM

ok my question is how many incidents will it take for certain individuals before we don't see them in this forum anymore. Granted some of us venting to each other is inviting trouble from the OT trolls, but a lot of these same jack holes also seem to stir the pot and derail perfectly good threads that have a lot of legitimate and useful information in them. These same jack holes may claim they are being unbiased and just looking at the subject reasonably, but you put all bull**** aside, and it's obvious they have nothing but contempt for cops and decide to "get their rocks off" here because they have internet anonymity.

I can understand disagreements and differences of opinions, but with people like socal shooter, it's definitely not the case.
Old 08-05-2011, 5:34 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

This thread had flame war written all over it from the git-go. I still agree with the original poster though.
Old 08-05-2011, 6:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
Yes, because we all see how well received they are in the off-topics let's find a way to point em out for even more hostile treatment.. what's that you say? Make them wear a star on their arms???? /boggle....You used to see alot of PAL stickers and LEO official tags on vehicles there's a reason that doesn't happen much anymore.

From all the posts I have read on this subject, it appears it is a complicated one. One thing for certain, there are a heck of a lot of anti LEOs not only on this forum but out there in our communities. I hope all you guys can find a way to not let it subdue your enthusiasm to serve and protect. God knows the law abiding public needs it now more than ever.

And just think, a peace officer doesn't want to be identified as such while posting in other parts of this site and I can't blame you. The world seems to have been turned upside down and respect for those that 'try' is in scarce supply. Good luck out there.
Old 08-05-2011, 6:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am not a LEO. I have worked for a LEA in the past. My father is a retired federal LEO (+31 years) and I have several other LEOs among my close family and friends.

While I will admit that there is a lot of LEO bashing on this site and in general, I, for one, only bash bad LEOs who should not be LEOs. I would openly bash any LEO who was caught on camera looting stores/homes after a disaster, those who use there powers for other illegal purposes, those who use excessive force just because they can get away with it, etc. I would hope that any LEO who has good morals, ethics and is truely dedicated to uphold the laws, would also bash the criminals with badges.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 08-05-2011, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I am not a LEO. I have worked for a LEA in the past. My father is a retired federal LEO (+31 years) and I have several other LEOs among my close family and friends.

While I will admit that there is a lot of LEO bashing on this site and in general, I, for one, only bash bad LEOs who should not be LEOs. I would openly bash any LEO who was caught on camera looting stores/homes after a disaster, those who use there powers for other illegal purposes, those who use excessive force just because they can get away with it, etc. I would hope that any LEO who has good morals, ethics and is truely dedicated to uphold the laws, would also bash the criminals with badges.
As a LEO, I am against criminals, wherever they are. Does not matter to me if they wear a uniform (be it dog catcher, Marine, or LEO). The conflict arises when people judge a situation one way, and officers judge a situation from a different perspective before all the facts come out.

At any rate, this discussion has drifted slightly off course. I wasn't attempting to start a flame war or resolve the anit-LE slant that some members exhibit, but rather discuss the possible merits of having non-LEOs clarify their experience before responding to questions directed at LEOs.
Old 08-05-2011, 6:46 AM

Quote:

Absolutely. We hate them more than you.

That being said, it's frustrating enough that LEOs get second guessed by people who have no freaking clue about LE work. Not sure why our job seems to be the only one that idiots and regular people, with little to no training and experience in this field, think they know better than the people doing the job and should be able to tell us how to do it.

Additionally, the use of force aspect of LE work is entirely another animal. The VAST majority of non-LEOs (i.e. people who have never had any LE training/experience) do NOT understand LE use of force and have absolutely NO leg to stand on when it comes to judging LE use of force (even quite a few LEOs and supervisors out there are not as fluent with using/reporting/reviewing force as they should be).

Joe Public will look at a crappy video (crappy for a variety of reasons), think how "bad" the force being used "looks", and then, without any further research or information, conclude that the force used was "excessive". Joe Public will then come onto CG (or other internet website/forum/blog/etc) and spread his "expert" opinion as gospel in as many different threads in as many different sections of the website, bash the officers/agency involved, negatively stereotype and generalize the rest of the LEO community, talk some more sh1t from behind the safety of his keyboard, [insert additional stupid/idiotic behavior here], and then play the "what me?" innocent look game.

Last edited by retired; 08-06-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 7:27 AM

I currently work for an LEA in a non-sworn position. On occasion, I've contributed a comment here or there, only when I have knowledge of the subject at hand. I tend to agree with the OP though. Those of us who may have some relevant knowledge need to acknowledge we are not LEO and give some idea where our knowledge comes from when chiming in in an area dedicated for LEO's.

Quote:
Absolutely. We hate them more than you.

That being said, it's frustrating enough that LEOs get second guessed by people who have no freaking clue about LE work. Not sure why our job seems to be the only one that idiots and regular people, with little to no training and experience in this field, think they know better than the people doing the job and should be able to tell us how to do it.
Absolutely agree with your comments on use of force. The public generally has no clue on that continuum and they also have a 30 second attention span which contributes to that lack of knowledge.

I also believe the internet and the anonymity it offers empowers people to comment on any subject without regard for their own knowledge or experience. The same issue also emboldens those who are out there simply to stir the pot.

As for being second guessed, I say get a thicker skin. I've yet to be in any job where others don't offer their opinion on how your job could be done better (often when they should really be focused on their own). This issue IMHO has been worse over the last 3 - 4 years with the bad economy.

Those of you who are LEO, thank you for your service to your communities.
USCCA Member
Old 08-05-2011, 9:00 AM

I really do not understand why we would need to post *Non-LEO* before every post. Most people are going to forget.

Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07
Old 08-05-2011, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveInfluence View Post
I really do not understand why we would need to post *Non-LEO* before every post. Most people are going to forget.
Its probably easier for LEO's to just get a small icon added.
Old 08-05-2011, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontClaire View Post
if they want only one of theirs to post then they should go to their own boards and not post in public forums. simple.
Actually, this is a privately owned forum, not a public forum. As such, there are rules here which should be followed, such as the rules of this subforum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=171278

Simple.
Old 08-05-2011, 9:47 AM

I'm sure this will get locked soon before it gets too heated as someone else stated.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:14 AM

I don't think any new rules or LEO/non-LEO tags or icons should be necessary on the board. The rules of the forum are already clearly posted as a sticky in this forum (for those folks who actually take the time to read them), so I don't think a new rule on the subject would make much of a difference. Also, sub-forums should be used as means of grouping threads of a certain topic together...not as a means of further dividing our membership. We have enough problems with the "us vs them" mentality as it is, why make it worse by allowing only certain folks to participate on a particular forum.

Everyone has an opinion (be it an informed opinion or not) and some people insist on making everyone else listen to their opinion as if it were fact. Those of us in the field know this and put up with it every day on the job. Unfortunately, if we want to participate on this forum, we have to put up with it here on the internet too. The fact of the matter is that unless a person is or has been a uniformed LEO, they can't speak intelligently on the vast majority of LE topics. It doesn't matter if you're a dispatcher, spouse/child/relative of a cop, MMA fighter, or competative shooter. Unless you've worn the badge and worked a beat, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to most law enforcement matters.

If a non-LEO wants to post their uninformed opinion as fact on this sub-forum, so be it. People should not take anything they read on an internet forum as fact anyhow. Use the answers provided on this board as a starting point for your research and verify for yourself by consulting the relevant statutes or your local DA.

On a side note, I find in unfortunate that anti-LEO sentiment runs so deep on Calguns in general. I've been a member here for some time, and have yet to attend a single Calguns function because of it. And I know many other officers who browse these boards (but don't post) who feel the same way. Like many LEOs, I'm a NRA member and strong supporter of our 2A rights, but I'm reluctant to actively support Calguns because of the anti-LEO zealotry this board is known for.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
I'm sure this will get locked soon before it gets too heated as someone else stated.
I sure hope not. Again, this thread was started in an attempt to discuss and resolve something I see as an issue. If, collectively, people feel there is no issue or there is no solution, then so be it. I didn't start this thread to have people come in here and get this thread locked.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that unless a person is or has been a uniformed LEO, they can't speak intelligently on the vast majority of LE topics. Unless you've worn the badge and worked a beat, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to most law enforcement matters.
Can you give some examples of these topics/matters?

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochembruin View Post
Lately I've noticed that several non-LEOs have taken to answering questions directed to LEOs, within the LEO subform. I'm of the opinion that it can cause confusion for the person posting the question, as they are clearly seeking a certain type of opinion by asking their question in this subforum a opposed to another section of Calguns.

My understanding of this subform is that it is primarily for LEOs, and those who wish to ask questions of LEOs. As I understand it, the intention of this subforum is not for non-LEOs to answer questions directed at LEOs.

I can understand the reluctance of the moderators to put too heavy a hand on the issue, but at the same time I feel vested in Calguns, and in this subform, which should be a place free from having to dispute qualifications regarding the opinion of a non-LEO when addressing a question clearly directed toward LEOs.

Perhaps a rule could be established prohibiting a non-LEO from answering questions in this subforum. Or, absent that rule, that a non-LEO preface their answer by stating they are not a LEO, such that the OP can give the opinion of the poster whatever weight they deem fit. I realize there may be no reliable way of enforcing such a rule, but I think the honor system would suffice.

Just my opinion as a LEO and a member of Calguns.
i like this one in BOLD
Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that unless a person is or has been a uniformed LEO, they can't speak intelligently on the vast majority of LE topics. Unless you've worn the badge and worked a beat, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to most law enforcement matters.

Can you give some examples of these topics/matters?
I think the most obvious and frequently debated is LEO use of force in general, and officer involved shootings in particular.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Alfalfa, I agree with many of your points. Especially about posting on Calguns and going to Calguns meets. I am reticent to attend meets or have someone I'm buying something from in the marketplace send me the item because I have no idea who the person is and don't want them knowing where I live due to some down right dangerous sentiments by a few members. I doubt many non-LEO must face those considerations.

I also have been a member for many years, and yet have a low post count. Until recently, I would not post for some of the reasons you mentioned. Recently my attitude on that has changed, slightly.

I do disagree with you regarding the purpose of subforums. The reason this subform exists is clearly stated. The intent of this subform is not to create or promote an "us vs them" mentality. If Kestryll feels that is becoming the case, I would support his decision to eliminate the LEO subforum. This is, after all, his baby, and for whatever reason, he saw fit to be kind enough to create the LEO subforum. If the LEO subforum didn't exist, however, I would most likely not have participated in Calguns for as long as I did, and would have to reevaluate my participation here in the future, for personal reasons.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
I think the most obvious and frequently debated is LEO use of force in general, and officer involved shootings in particular.
Indeed, that makes sense, it would be difficult to speak intelligently on that without training and actual experience. I don't think that the majority of topics discussed here would be similarly situated however you make a good point either way.

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think anyone who reads any of the calguns threads relating to LE will eventually see which posters are LE and who are not.
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 08-05-2011, 1:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911su16b870 View Post
I think anyone who reads any of the calguns threads relating to LE will eventually see which posters are LE and who are not.
I agree. I know just from hanging around CalGuns enough that Retired, BigDogAtPlay, Ron-Solo, SamuelX, Alex00, RollingCode3, Liberty1, FullRearView, Trickster, etc are or were LEOs.

It is pretty obvious who are and aren't based on responses. People that aren't LEOs tend to say things like "in my opinion" or "I would think", while LEOs usually preface answers with "at my department" or "in the XX years I've worked" or "one time we had a guy" etc.

I don't think any new rules or special tags are necessary and I will also add that sometimes new users think they is the best place to ask 2A legal questions (not saying you guys don't know your stuff, just that it is more suited for the 2A section). I know quite a bit about California and federal gun laws and if I see someone asking a question in here, I will answer it. If someone asks a LEO specific question, but I also happen to know the answer (and I'm 100% sure it is correct/not based on opinion), then again I will still answer (usually I do make it clear that I'm not a LEO if it isn't already obvious).

As for use of force, yes sometimes people here go "oh look at that, they pepper sprayed that poor man pointing his rifle at them!". Other times it is obvious that authority was abused at some level (LEOs forcibly detaining non-suspects for filming them) and you can expect the general public to be enraged by that where ever you go. Hell, sometimes we have one LEO condemning an officer's actions and another one defending them. So you can't just say that disagreeing with the use of force is always because people don't understand it, because sometimes LEOs disagree with each other here on it.

As for LEO bashing. I have seen people accused of bashing when they were simply disagreeing with the LEOs in a thread and I have seen people spouting off rude crap and making generalizations and the posts were allowed to stand.
You can't expect uniform enforcement of the rules because the mods are all different people with different backgrounds and opinions. Just like officers are all different people with different backgrounds and opinions and therefore we can't blame all of you when one terrible LEO screws it up.

Last edited by Anchors; 08-05-2011 at 1:48 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 2:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Some of the questions asked are not questions that should be asked of a police officer because it is out of his wheelhouse. The poster just has a false impression that if anybody would know a police officer would. Are we supposed to ignore that poster when we know the answer and the officers are either ignoring the OP or actually being kind enough to tell him they do not know?

For example, is "X" gun legal questions are not something a lot of officers are going to be experts on. For example, it took years for departments to start educating officers on the finer points of SB23, bullet buttons, and so forth. Yet other members here on Calguns knew the laws back to front and are the very reason why police departments are now making the effort to better educate their staff. Should we ignore that poster just because he posted it in the LE section and we are not police officers? Should we let incorrect information stand such as an officer telling someone something is illegal when it clearly is not? Or should we direct him to the proper information on this forum as politely as possible?

As for being anti-law enforcement, nothing could be further from the truth in my case. I'm surrounded by them in my life. Closest friends, relatives, and of course the instructors I train with are all law enforcement and all great people. However, they are just people. Not all knowing supreme beings. Sometimes they can use a little help from the peanut gallery.

My point is, there are times when it is more than appropriate for a civilian to chime in. Like now for example.

Have a good un'!

Last edited by tacticalcity; 08-05-2011 at 2:20 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Off-topic: Park Ranger sounds like the coolest job ever.
Sorry for the thread drift.
Old 08-05-2011, 2:50 PM

There's nothing wrong with someone commenting on a post in the LEO subform if they are indeed knowledgeable about a topic. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with a non-LEO identifying themselves as such in this subforum and citing a source for their info. Officers in this subforum are often the first to point out when someone would be better served posting a question in another section of the site or consulting a lawyer. But if someone comes here specifically seeking the opinion of a LEO, there's no reason to assume they don't know where they're posting. The only thing unclear is if someone is indeed a LEO, other than the few listed who post often.

Again, read my first post in this thread. It has nothing to do with cop bashing, as there is already a rule against it. I don't know why people keep bringing it up.

Think of it this way. You will never find a post of mine answering a question in the "Calgunners in Service" section. I have never been in the military, and am not an "active duty and deployed Military member." That is what the rules of that subforum state the purpose of it is: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=120567. While my father was in the military, and I have several very close friends deployed, it is not my place to respond to questions and posts in that subforum. If for some reason I did, I would state that I am not a military member, out of respect for them and their subforum. I don't know if there is an issue in that subforum of non-military members responding to questions, but I feel there is an issue here. Hence my suggestion for clarification.
Old 08-05-2011, 3:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Alfalfa, I agree with many of your points. Especially about posting on Calguns and going to Calguns meets. I am reticent to attend meets or have someone I'm buying something from in the marketplace send me the item because I have no idea who the person is and don't want them knowing where I live due to some down right dangerous sentiments by a few members. I doubt many non-LEO must face those considerations.

I also have been a member for many years, and yet have a low post count. Until recently, I would not post for some of the reasons you mentioned. Recently my attitude on that has changed, slightly.

I do disagree with you regarding the purpose of subforums. The reason this subform exists is clearly stated. The intent of this subform is not to create or promote an "us vs them" mentality. If Kestryll feels that is becoming the case, I would support his decision to eliminate the LEO subforum. This is, after all, his baby, and for whatever reason, he saw fit to be kind enough to create the LEO subforum. If the LEO subforum didn't exist, however, I would most likely not have participated in Calguns for as long as I did, and would have to reevaluate my participation here in the future, for personal reasons.
Having been to official and unofficial calgun meet as well as hosting many AK build parties which are organized on this site but not official events either, I have to say that you guys should not worry about being treated as anything other than firearms enthusiasts when at any function that mainly calgunners are at. I have been invited to LEO's homes after only knowing them from this form, I have met several LEOs at calguns' town hall meetings, BLM Zombie shoots, etc. and I've also had the pleasure of many local state and federal LEOs attending my build parties. I have never seen or hear any sort of LEO bashing at any of these events except the time a LEO was signing off a fix it ticket for another member and bashed the LEO and LEA that issued such a stupid fix it ticket to begin with. He felt that the law had been incorrectly interpeted by the issuing officer and had seen many similar example from the same LEA. But, that's it. So, show up to an event or two, meet some new friends and have fun. Hell, there's usually no reason to even ID yourself as a LEO if you don't want to.

Edit: I fogot to add that I am not a LEO.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 08-05-2011 at 4:52 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Think of it this way. You will never find a post of mine answering a question in the "Calgunners in Service" section. I have never been in the military, and am not an "active duty and deployed Military member." That is what the rules of that subforum state the purpose of it is: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=120567. While my father was in the military, and I have several very close friends deployed, it is not my place to respond to questions and posts in that subforum. If for some reason I did, I would state that I am not a military member, out of respect for them and their subforum. I don't know if there is an issue in that subforum of non-military members responding to questions, but I feel there is an issue here. Hence my suggestion for clarification.
But see, that would just make too much sense (and would also require a modicum of politesse)...
Old 08-05-2011, 6:23 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic View Post
But you are not a LEO RollingCode, at least you don't describe yourself as one since your profile says "garbage man". Last time I checked a garbage man was not a LEO.
I also am a garbage man, but I prefer to call it "waste management".
Old 08-05-2011, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Edit: I fogot to add that I am not a LEO.
Well, I believe YOU when you say that but I'm not sure I believe EVERYONE who claims they're Not an LEO... You know those sneaky bastages are always going UC and trying to entrap regular folks, even other cops! I'm pretty sure that someone from my department is probably monitoring me online and they'll probably come on CG, pretend to be a Troll and try to get me to do or say something "unbecoming"...

Old 08-05-2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchur6 View Post
I flunked out of EE so I'm partial to Sanitation Engineer...
Old 08-05-2011, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

@biochem
I disagree, here is why
although I am prior military, if I were to ask a question in the 'military forum' such as
"What should I send my son/daughter, while s/he is in boot camp"
I am posting the question in said forum, as to me, it is the appropriate forum for the question. I do not expect ONLY military members to be able to answer my question, so, based on that, your (biochem not posting in that forum) i would never hear what your son/daughter/lovedone has greatly appreciated being sent in the past.
I would not hesitate myself in answering what I've sent my son/daughter while s/he was deployed to yyy, even if it was posted in a active duty section, and I dont think i would need to preface my posting with 'im not active duty'

this is a forum (a place for discussion of questions of public interest), its up to the Original Poster, or other readers to determine how much weight to place on any given response.
some posters, I've already came to my own conclusion as to how much weight i will place on their responses.
Old 08-05-2011, 7:08 PM
Calguns Addict

The OP has a point... but who makes the determination? I don't think I'd like to be the one who has to keep track of that.

Seems pretty clear around here who has done the job and who hasn't. If someone chimes in here and it's plain that they haven't the faintest idea what they're talking about, the FUD flag gets thrown down pretty quick. If it goes farther than that, we have a reporting method and moderation to deal with that if needed. I'm good with that.
Old 08-05-2011, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic View Post
But you are not a LEO RollingCode, at least you don't describe yourself as one since your profile says "garbage man". Last time I checked a garbage man was not a LEO.
This is the second time in this thread i have been called out because my profile says "garbage man." thanks

Quote:
And Kestryll describes himself as "head janitor," yet he is not a janitor on Calguns. So what?

A garbage man is an essential function, keeps the streets clean, and is often under appreciated until they don't do their job. Much like LEO. Many LEOs claim their occupation is something other than LEO when meeting new people, until they get a feel for that person.

Try to stay on topic instead of sniping individual posters in this thread.
biochembruin... thanks.. Just ignore the few trolls in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchur6 View Post

Quote:
I flunked out of EE so I'm partial to Sanitation Engineer...
Sanitation Engineer has a higher rank than garbage man. Can I call you Sarge?
Old 08-05-2011, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater OPS View Post
Indeed, that makes sense, it would be difficult to speak intelligently on that without training and actual experience. I don't think that the majority of topics discussed here would be similarly situated however you make a good point either way.
Many of the search and seizure issues that come up also fall into that category.

When I worked the jail, I would tell people I was an "Inventory Control Specialist" for the county. The last thing you do when meeting new people is introduce yourself as a cop.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-05-2011, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead View Post
as one of those up there and if i saw you break the law i'm going to issue you a cite and you can tell the judge that im not a LEO,
Not sure where your going with that? Maybe re-read what I wrote? lol.

Last edited by jeep7081; 08-05-2011 at 8:02 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 8:04 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
How about this as the 8th rule for the LEO subforum: Non-LEOs are welcome to respond to questions posted in this subforum, provided they identify themselves as non-LEOs within their first post of a thread, and briefly explain their knowledge on the topic. Subsequent posts in the same thread need not contain this clarification.

I think this might address most of the issues, and still allow any non-LEO or people who aren't sure if they fall in the LEO category to reply to a topic. Any opinions on this, or a better articulation?
After reading through the thread, and separating the real posts from the crap stirrers and trolls, I think this issue is one that merits discussion.

I'll be honest, so far the simplest suggest is the one quoted above.
Simply tell people 'I'm not an LEO however..', rarely is it bad to be honest and up front with people.

I'm going to talk to the Staff and consider how best to deal with this issue as well as check this thread occasionally as the input from those it affects is weighed in as well.

I do want to address a few post that were made however...
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 08-05-2011, 8:19 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontClaire View Post
if they want only one of theirs to post then they should go to their own boards and not post in public forums. simple.
As has been mentioned already, this is NOT a public forum.
Calguns is privately owned and the rules are set by the owner.
Me.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 08-05-2011, 8:39 PM

Thanks Kestryll. I am wondering how the trollers and crap stirrers will be dealt with as well. The issues are intertwined to an extent, but the trollers seem to be a bigger problem here most days.

Last edited by Falconis; 08-05-2011 at 8:42 PM..