Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-14-2015, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

Default Can LEOs issue a ticket without confrontation?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid since my three years since a minor citation is almost up ( crossing two white lines safely but still illegal and didn't know at the time) but I'd like to make sure.

So I was driving on a main street and turned into my residential street going the speed limit which is 25.

As soon as I turn in to the street the LEO quickly parks right across the street from me and sits there for 10 minutes after I go in my house. Could've just been a coincidence that he stopped and had to look something up or whatever.

I generally wouldn't care but it seemed like he pulled over as a reaction to me turning. He didn't try to get my attention or anything though.

Here is a highly detailed drawing of what happened.

[IMG][/IMG]

My question is: Can the officer issue me a ticket without even confronting me or seeing my face? Thanks for any answers guys!

Last edited by ziconceo; 07-14-2015 at 7:19 PM..
Old 07-14-2015, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Is there a question here that I'm just not understanding? I know I pulled over for a lot of reasons, cell phone call either me calling dispatch or someone calling me. Use the MDT to send a message or read a long dispatch entry, or any other reasons to pull over and deal with something. I know way back when we actually used maps not gps.

Did you get a ticket for something? If not nothing to see here, no harm no foul.
Old 07-14-2015, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Is there a question here that I'm just not understanding? I know I pulled over for a lot of reasons, cell phone call either me calling dispatch or someone calling me. Use the MDT to send a message or read a long dispatch entry, or any other reasons to pull over and deal with something.

Did you get a ticket for something? If not nothing to see here, no harm no foul.
Question is in red at the bottom of the op, I wasn't finished editing it haha
Old 07-14-2015, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

I pull over randomly and suddenly all the time....don't sweat it.

In other news....your artwork looks like something that hangs on my refrigerator :-P
Old 07-14-2015, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Ok I think you can answer your own question here, how would he know who was driving the car with contacting the driver? The only exception's to that instance I know of is red light camera's and toll violations, but those you have to be able to reasonably identify the driver of the vehicle prior to the citation being issued and mailed.
Old 07-14-2015, 8:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Ok I think you can answer your own question here, how would he know who was driving the car with contacting the driver? The only exception's to that instance I know of is red light camera's and toll violations, but those you have to be able to reasonably identify the driver of the vehicle prior to the citation being issued and mailed.
Ah, well thanks guys for the quick responses! I feel much better now . So, just to be sure, if you are turning off of a street that the speed limit is 25 onto a street that is 25 you're allowed to turn at 25mph correct?
Old 07-14-2015, 8:36 PM

It depends what the ticket is for... 4000a, (expired regsitration) or any equipment violations, the officer can wait until you parked and got out and then place a ticket on your windshield.. I wouldnt do it that way, but it would work.. If it were a moving violation, no, the officer cannot write one without contacting you and identifying you.
Old 07-14-2015, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziconceo View Post
Ah, well thanks guys for the quick responses! I feel much better now . So, just to be sure, if you are turning off of a street that the speed limit is 25 onto a street that is 25 you're allowed to turn at 25mph correct?
As long as when you make the turn you don't drive at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

(22350 VC)
Old 07-14-2015, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
It depends what the ticket is for... 4000a, (expired regsitration) or any equipment violations, the officer can wait until you parked and got out and then place a ticket on your windshield.. I wouldnt do it that way, but it would work.. If it were a moving violation, no, the officer cannot write one without contacting you and identifying you.
Sweet! All my stuff is working and up to date So I guess I'm good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
As long as when you make the turn you don't drive at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

(22350 VC)
Well, it was sunny, dry, and no other cars were out. I didn't swerve into the opposing lane or anything. Idk, just seemed like I caught him by surprise it all, I'm sure you guys are used to seeing slow drivers driving 10 under all day.
Old 07-14-2015, 9:07 PM

Are you assuming it was a speed limit isssue? You can be cited for unsafe turning movement/failing to signal CVC 22107. Making a turn at 25 mph on a city street with a 25 mph limit may be pushing it.. Or maybe you're just being paranoid and the officer was looking for a quiet spot to make a call and write a report or grab a bite to eat.

Last edited by John M; 07-14-2015 at 9:17 PM..
Old 07-14-2015, 9:43 PM

A little confused by your question too, were you cited? And if so what was the section? I would say 25 mph while turning may or may not be unsafe, did it affect oncoming traffic?
Old 07-14-2015, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs71 View Post
A little confused by your question too, were you cited? And if so what was the section? I would say 25 mph while turning may or may not be unsafe, did it affect oncoming traffic?
No, the officer never left his car.

The only oncoming traffic was the officer and I was a good 20ft from him at the closest.
Old 07-14-2015, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are you assuming it was a speed limit isssue? You can be cited for unsafe turning movement/failing to signal CVC 22107. Making a turn at 25 mph on a city street with a 25 mph limit may be pushing it.. Or maybe you're just being paranoid and the officer was looking for a quiet spot to make a call and write a report or grab a bite to eat.
Yea, that's what I was worried about lol. It just seemed like I startled him because he pulled over at the right time.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziconceo View Post
Yea, that's what I was worried about lol. It just seemed like I startled him because he pulled over at the right time.
I would say that it was probably just a coincidence then. Maybe he was finishing a call in the area and was closing it out or he took a phone call like previously mentioned.
Old 07-15-2015, 1:44 AM
Veteran Member

Coincidence.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 07-15-2015, 6:56 AM

Can the officer issue me a ticket without even confronting me or seeing my face?

Yes.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:42 PM

You shouldn't be issued a moving/hazardous violation without being detained, identified and signing a written promise to appear. Running a plate and issuing a moving citation to the registered owner should very justly be thrown out in court and if an Officer issued a citation that way, should be counseled.

I mean really guys, if you're issuing cites to vehicles where the drivers are gone for infraction matters, that's embarrassingly petty. You can't wait 5 minutes and get the next person for 22450A? You can't even be cited for equipment violations and some moving violations on private property unless the officer observed the violation while you were on a public street prior to going onto private property. Only city municipal codes could be enforced, for example, parking on your lawn, disabled vehicles ect.

Often, Officers will do what I call "fly the colors". They show a visible presence to remind the public that they exist and the possibilities for the punitive action that can be taken for violations. An example would be an Officer following a car that took a corner a little too quickly and parking and watching them. An Officer may choose this form of enforcement instead of issuing a citation because they are already occupied going to another police matter. For some people, just a simple reminder the police are out there watching you is an attitude adjustment. In your case, it was so profound, you took the time to log into calguns, post in a LE forum and seek advice because you were scared you were going to get a ticket. I think the Officer did a good job
Old 07-19-2015, 11:33 AM

Reread the question itself. It doesn't specify what KIND of ticket (and as already mentioned, non-moving violations also fall within the realm of possibility). The partial story presented by the OP makes it sound like he believed the officer saw him driving on a public highway before parking.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

NO, Probably had nothing to do with you. When that happens on my street it's because they are doing something on the main street one street over and they park one car on my street to see who runs out the back and jumps the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 07-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Many years ago, I was followed by a Parking ENforcement officer for a couple of turns. It turned out my tags had expired without mu knowledge. I ended up having a ticket issued at the time of registration. But I would think, as has been mentioned, no moving violation citation could be made that way.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Did you get a ticket? No?

Then he didnt give you a ticket.

Who knows why the mysterious evil cop-bot pulled over. Sometimes we have to plug in our "oppression cores" to recharge sometimes. Or he got a call from Mrs Evil Cop.
Old 07-20-2015, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Doesn't really apply to this exact incident, but there are circumstances where one is issued citations by an officer without identifying them face to face. Red light cameras are in operation all over the place and the "moving violations" (21453( ) CVC, are issued by an officer via mail. I know it's not the same thing. Just thought I'd throw it out there to muddy up the waters a bit.
Old 07-20-2015, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Don't know about CA but this happens all the time in NJ.