Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 06-29-2011, 6:33 PM

I won't be running a 200 yard stage for this Saturday (July 2) as I have very much to do this weekend at home.
Old 06-29-2011, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
Hey guys, it's the first Saturday of the month again.

Three gun practice at the action range...courtesy of Danielus Revolverus Supremus! (Dan Carden).

See y'all there!

In Christ: Raymond
I'll be there but practicing pistol only for an hour cause I'd have to go back to work.

-
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecam View Post
I'll be there but practicing pistol only for an hour cause I'd have to go back to work. -

Rick, let me know when you are getting there. Drop me a line later today.

I'm heading out to the range now to meet Greg shortly.

For everyone else...don't forget the 3-gun practice this Saturday, the 2nd of July. The weather is supposed to be awsome!!

Bring your long guns, and stay sharp!! (Unlike me).

Lets see what Dan has planned for us this weekend.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

It has been awhile for me but I have completed Bill's orientation class. Is it OK for me to come and practice? I don't have much long gun action shooting experience so I'm not sure how a noob like me should proceed.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 07-01-2011, 8:38 PM

So...is there no 200 yard practice at all tomorrow?

Rich

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

"The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham
Old 07-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
It has been awhile for me but I have completed Bill's orientation class. Is it OK for me to come and practice? I don't have much long gun action shooting experience so I'm not sure how a noob like me should proceed.
IPSICK, send me a PM with your name, and Ill keep an eye-out for you tomorrow. Look for me. Ill be the short Spanish doode with a boonie hat on.

Let me check you out, and it should be fine.

Ill see you tomorrow, between 0930 and 1330 hours.

Old 07-02-2011, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbigdawg View Post
So...is there no 200 yard practice at all tomorrow?

Rich
Nope, as I said in earlier post, I won't be running a 200 yard stage this weekend.
Old 07-02-2011, 7:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
IPSICK, send me a PM with your name, and Ill keep an eye-out for you tomorrow. Look for me. Ill be the short Spanish doode with a boonie hat on.

Let me check you out,. and it should be fine.

That sounds creepy.

-
Old 07-02-2011, 8:57 AM

Just wanted to make sure. See ya'll at BARC.

Rich
Old 07-02-2011, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Had a good showing this Saturday morning.

Dan set up a nice stage, and it looks like quite a few of y'all showed-up to play.

Glad to see you guys here. I also saw some new faces, but was busy doing a few other things, so I couldn't really introduce myself.

Either way, glad to see you guys taking advantage of some good 3 -gun practice. It'll be a huge advantage for y'all headed in that direction. You'll see the benefits of good practice IMMEDIATELY, during practice...and also during a match. Especially when you compare yourselves to others that do not take advantage of this great opportunity.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rich,

We'll be running 6 multi-gun stages including the 200 the week before the barc if you have the itch for a multi-gun match...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Let me check you out, and it should be fine.

Thanks for replying but the wife-boss cancelled my shooting plans for the weekend. I'll have to try competing/practicing again soon even if its only pistol. The upcoming 3-gun match does sound interesting.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 07-04-2011, 3:59 PM

Thanks Vince. Probably take you up on that.

Rich
Old 07-04-2011, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

How else can I get some practice on the rifle I'm borrowing
Old 07-04-2011, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbigdawg View Post
Thanks Vince. Probably take you up on that.

Rich
Be careful what you wish for, you may get it. The 200 yard stage at the multi-gun match will be devilishly devious. It's devilishly easy and devilishly hard at the same time
Old 07-04-2011, 9:45 PM

After shooting the Allegheny sniper challenge, everything else is easy.
Old 08-07-2011, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

I'd like to post a note stating that if people don't come out and utilize the range and the setup, this little endeavor may cease to exist.. The first time it seemed popular and there were quite a few people who came out, but the last couple of times, the bay was set up, and a few of our member RO's came early and set up a nice practice stage only to have about 3 or 4 people show up.. if it keeps up like this, we will likely give up and let the USPSA handgun shooters have their practice bay back. I cannot stress it enough that if you want this to continue, not only do we need patronage, but we would like to see volunteers come out and help..
Old 08-07-2011, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hear, hear...

I agree with Vince on this.

I spoke with Dan on Saturday, and he is ready to pull-out of this committment. It is asking a lot for him to take a complete Saturday out of his life (besides his regular RO duties), come out early to set-up a great stage (rain or shine), and then only have 3 or 4 people show up the whole day.

It is not like the people are not worth it (cuz even ONE shooter helped-out is a benefit to that one shooter), but it just does not balance out.

On top of that, like Vince mentioned, it is taking-up one of the larger bays that the action shooters cannot set-up to practice in.

And one more thing, the bays that are NOT being used for Saturday practice are for the RO's to use. After 1330 hours, the bays must be free to set-up for the following days match. So by setting-up this 3-gun bay, it is also taking-up a bay the RO use for their own Saturday practice.

Once again, there is good Calguns feedback in regards to this 3-gun practice on the first Saturday of the month. But there are not enough shooters showing-up to justify Dan's time, or the use of a complete bay on a Saturday.

The first Saturday of September is the Labor Day weekend. And I know for sure that Dan will not be there, as he has other committments. So I will step-in, set-up a good stage, and run it for that day. I know it is an oddity because of the Labor Day weekend, so I am not disallusioning myself in expecting a large crowd...but we have our ears to the ground on this matter.

Bottom line, we have national-level 3-gunners here, and the tips learned for those who show-up for practice will last a lifetime. Where else can you find a rifle and shotgun action bay to practice during a Saturday?!

Nuff said. Show-up or lose this priveledge we are offering y'all.

See you soon...hopefully.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks guys for setting this all up

I shot my first shotgun comp in June at Richmond. Quality course. Great people.

I've been away most of the summer, but my friends and I are definitely going to be there frequently. Can't labor day, October I will definitely be there.

Are you planning on courses in the winter as well? Rain or shine I'll be there.
Old 08-14-2011, 2:21 PM

i've been watching your videos on youtube ray, my interest is definitely piqued in this 3 gunning business. i can't be out there labor day weekend, can't get the day off since somebody else beat me to it. but i'll make it there first saturday of october, if you guys are still gonna be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDriver View Post
Most in-laws have a no return policy on wives. But I do understand how you feel. As soon as I left the chappel, I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a different woman. Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 30 years to get the other one. Oh, the pain ...
Old 08-15-2011, 2:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Thanks guys for setting this all up

I shot my first shotgun comp in June at Richmond. Quality course. Great people.

I've been away most of the summer, but my friends and I are definitely going to be there frequently. Can't labor day, October I will definitely be there.

Are you planning on courses in the winter as well? Rain or shine I'll be there.
Yup...rain or shine.

We set this up as a permanent feature for the 3-gunning crowd. Every 1st Saturday.

Old 08-15-2011, 9:33 AM

I justed started IPSC with the goal of doing 3 Gun.

Count me in for Labor Day weekend and beyond. . . Bay Area gunnies can't let this awesome training opportunity go to waste.
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -- L. Neil Smith

Old 08-15-2011, 5:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopper View Post
I justed started IPSC with the goal of doing 3 Gun.

Count me in for Labor Day weekend and beyond. . . Bay Area gunnies can't let this awesome training opportunity go to waste.

I agree...it is a great training tool. Not only for three gunners, but also for folks who have shotguns or AR's...or whatever.

You see folks on YouTube and other places shooting their shotguns, and think that rapid-firing it is cool. But they have no idea WHAT ITS REALLY LIKE to run and gun accurately. And like I mentioned, it is great practice if you own either of these long guns for home defense!!

Once again (I cannot repeat it enough), you must be classified in a recognized shooting organization (IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, ICORE, SASS, etc..), or have taken the SAFE HANDGUN COMPETITOR Course, in order to shoot here!

There is no way we are having someone off the street come here, run rampant with a hot firearm at our range, without knowing the safety rules.

Anyhoo...pass around the word, and let's see y'all here.

Old 08-15-2011, 8:30 PM

i saw the intro page and will try to sign up for next month's if it's still open

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDriver View Post
Most in-laws have a no return policy on wives. But I do understand how you feel. As soon as I left the chappel, I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a different woman. Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 30 years to get the other one. Oh, the pain ...
Old 08-22-2011, 5:23 AM
Veteran Member

If it's still run'n in Oct, I'm there and I'll be there early.

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 08-22-2011, 7:45 AM

I cannot make the September one due to I am the Match Director for a Multi-Gun match in Sacramento. I will be there in October for sure. Need more practice for Nationals.
Old 08-23-2011, 1:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
I cannot make the September one due to I am the Match Director for a Multi-Gun match in Sacramento. I will be there in October for sure. Need more practice for Nationals.
I will be there running the multigun course on September 3rd...I will be at Sac shooting the Labor Day Multigun match on September 5th...I will be running the multigun practice in October again...and then I will be ROing (and helping to set-up) the 3-gun Nationals in Vegas in October.

2011 is coming to a close, and Lord willing, I will be better in 2012.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 08-23-2011 at 2:40 AM..
Old 08-23-2011, 7:59 PM

I think I can run an LD rifle only stage on the 200 yard range on Sept 3rd if folks are interested in having this in addition to the multi-gun stage Raymond is doing on bay 4.

It would start after 1pm and run till about 4pm.
Old 08-23-2011, 7:59 PM

I think I can run an LD rifle only stage on the 200 yard range on Sept 3rd if folks are interested in having this in addition to the multi-gun stage Raymond is doing on bay 4.

It would start after 1pm and run till about 4pm.
Old 08-24-2011, 4:38 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for stepping-up, Geoff-o-mundo!

The 200-yard practice is sooooooo important for 3-gunners.

If y'all didn't know, a good 200-yard zero will get you on target at most of the Nor Cal multigun matches. And once you have your 200-yard zero, you can take it to the next level by learning your reticle hold-over for those further distance shots at 300 and 400 yards.

This can only be done with an ACTUAL 200-yard zero - and not a "Umm...you can do it by holding-over about an inch at 100-yards" debacle.

Another great thing about Geoff's 200-yard practice, are transitions. With practice, you will be amazed at how fast you can engage targets at 200-yards...and then transition from flasher to flasher accurately.

Three-gunning is not only a sport, but a great training tool, as well as a fantastic precision art.

Come on out if you can, shooters. We've been pushing to get this practice going for y'all. It is NOT for us Richmond RO's, as the range is only open to us, and LEO training, during the weekdays. We get our practice, so now come and get yours.

Ever wonder how those 3-gun guys can be so blazing fast? Ever wonder how they learned all those tricks to make their movements effortless? Well, its from practice at the range. Practice that most of y'all never have access to...until now.

I will also be video-taping and posting a few upcoming stages and practice runs (of y'all) in future posting.

So c'mon down and reap the benefits while you can.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 08-24-2011 at 5:28 PM..
Old 08-26-2011, 6:46 PM

Hi Raymond, I've took the safety class with bill and I would like to know if I could join you guys next Saturday?

Quote:
Thanks for stepping-up, Geoff-o-mundo!

The 200-yard practice is sooooooo important for 3-gunners.

If y'all didn't know, a good 200-yard zero will get you on target at most of the Nor Cal multigun matches. And once you have your 200-yard zero, you can take it to the next level by learning your reticle hold-over for those further distance shots at 300 and 400 yards.

This can only be done with an ACTUAL 200-yard zero - and not a "Umm...you can do it by holding-over about an inch at 100-yards" debacle.

Another great thing about Geoff's 200-yard practice, are transitions. With practice, you will be amazed at how fast you can engage targets at 200-yards...and then transition from flasher to flasher accurately.

Three-gunning is not only a sport, but a great training tool, as well as a fantastic precision art.

Come on out if you can, shooters. We've been pushing to get this practice going for y'all. It is NOT for us Richmond RO's, as the range is only open to us, and LEO training, during the weekdays. We get our practice, so now come and get yours.

Ever wonder how those 3-gun guys can be so blazing fast? Ever wonder how they learned all those tricks to make their movements effortless? Well, its from practice at the range. Practice that most of y'all never have access to...until now.

I will also be video-taping and posting a few upcoming stages and practice runs (of y'all) in future posting.

So c'mon down and reap the benefits while you can.

Old 08-26-2011, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

Richie,

when did you take the class...last weekend?

Bring you Safe Handgunner completion card, and you're good to go.

Let me know who you are when you get there, and I will coach you through your first runs. (For safety's sake).

You'll be "Cookin with Crisco" before you know it.

See you there.

PS: What toys will you be bringing?
Old 08-26-2011, 9:34 PM

I took the class a couple months back. I'll for sure bring my safety card. Im not sure what I'll bring yet. Maybe I'll keep it simple and bring my lightweight bcm with irons and 1911 9mm or maybe a Glock. What sights do you recommend for beginners? I have regular irons, Eotech, aimpoints.

Quote:
Richie,

when did you take the class...last weekend?

Bring you Safe Handgunner completion card, and you're good to go.

Let me know who you are when you get there, and I will coach you through your first runs. (For safety's sake).

You'll be "Cookin with Crisco" before you know it.

See you there.

PS: What toys will you be bringing?
Old 08-26-2011, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie3888 View Post
I took the class a couple months back. I'll for sure bring my safety card. Im not sure what I'll bring yet. Maybe I'll keep it simple and bring my lightweight bcm with irons and 1911 9mm or maybe a Glock. What sights do you recommend for beginners? I have regular irons, Eotech, aimpoints.
Richie,

on the first Saturday of the month we will have THREE practice bays open.

STATIC BAY (Every Saturday)

Here you will have about 10 static paper targets in which to practice on. No moving. Just standing "static" and practicing your draws and accuracy. Sometimes we even have a 6 or 8 plate rack out for the shooters. You can practice with pistol here (plates or paper), rifle (paper only), or shotgun. (Plate rack only...unless you are shooting SLUGS at paper)

ACTION BAY (Every Saturday)

This bay is usually set-up for the action shooters. This bay will consist of walls/barriers, plates, poppers, Texas Star, Polish Plate Rack, and any other gizmo the stage designers want to concoct. This is primarily for pistol shooters. This is the run and gun stage, amd you will be timed in your runs.

MULTIGUN BAY (Only 1st Sat of every month)

This bay will primarily be for long guns - rifles and shotguns. We will have a similar set-up to the action bay, but geared towards shotgun and rifle. You can shoot a handgun if you wish, but it is primarily set-up to hone your long gun skills. (If you wish to work on your hand gun skills, the action bay or static bay are your better bet). We will also practice staging your long guns, as well as barreling them and transitioning to your secondary long gun. This includes improving your reloading skills, your transition from target-to-target skills, and your movement. This is the place to ask questions in regards to anthing 3-gun.

As for what to bring, it depends on what you want. Most of the guys here are multi-gunners, or want to be multi-gunners...so most of the stuff brought is for competition purposes. We will NOT teach you how to shoot, but "we will" help you to become a faster and more accutrate shooter...as well as educating you in what gear is practical, and not "tacticool". (Tactifool).

I guess I cannot really tell you what to bring. Just bring yourself, and whatever you want to be comfortable with. (Lotta Eotechs on the range).

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 08-27-2011 at 2:46 PM..
Old 08-27-2011, 1:49 PM

If I'm not shooting "3-Gun" at Lincoln, I'll be there. Need to run some rounds through the rifle and then get back into pistol only mode again, especially with the new Open gun.

Rich

Old 08-28-2011, 6:57 AM

I took Bill's class in February and I never received a Safe Handgunner completion card. He did give me a card that says that I took the New Shooter Orientation class. I'd like to come practice in September. Thanks Raymond.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce350 View Post
I took Bill's class in February and I never received a Safe Handgunner completion card. He did give me a card that says that I took the New Shooter Orientation class. I'd like to come practice in September. Thanks Raymond.
That should be fine.

Looks like a small business card, right?

Old 08-28-2011, 2:26 PM

Yes, it say that its good for one RHS Match as well.
Old 08-28-2011, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce350 View Post
Yes, it say that its good for one RHS Match as well.
See you next Saturday.

Old 08-28-2011, 4:17 PM

Confirmed. We'll be there. Wife said to get the F*** out of the house and get some pistol trigger time before the Gator Classic.

So....I'll be there doing drills with the little blaster, load testing on the new gun and then doing some function firing on the new-ish AR.

Rich