Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Open Carry on Late News SFBay Area: CBS 5 news..

Open Carry on Late News SFBay Area: CBS 5 news.. @ 1:35AM early morning

RUNNING NOW.

May be a re-hash of one a few weeks ago.... poss. a re-run

Mentioned "strongly worded memo from San Mateo County Sherriff's Dept"

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 01-15-2010 at 12:42 AM..
Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Courtesy of Hoffmang. Note the Jamba Juice employee.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 AM

Just because you are capable of strapping a holster and handgun on your hip and find your way to Jamba Juice.....

DOES NOT MEAN FOR A SECOND THAT YOU HAVE ANY TRAINING!

That may have been the most idiotic comment I have heard yet from an OC'er.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default San Mateo County Sheriff's Dept. UOC memo: Jan 14 2010

An Open Carry warning memo has been issued by SMSO Sheriff Greg Munks - who apparently has more time on his hands now that he's not driving police vehicles on dept budget to Vegas to pick up hookers (along with Undersheriff Carlos Bolanos (Ask LVMPD.)

Open carry memo:
http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/Attachm..._opencarry.pdf

Poor lonely Sheriff Munks finding a date in Vegas:
http://www.examiner.com/a-693448~Sheriff_involved_in_Vegas_brothel_sting.htm l

Here's the memo text extracted from the .PDF above:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"UNLOADED OPEN CARRY"

ISSUE

Several questions and concerns have risen due to recent incidents where citizens have called the police to report people openly carrying revolvers or semi-automatic hand guns on their persons. This potentially dangerous practice is ostensibly an “exercise of constitutional rights” and an apparent effort to “test” those rights with authorities. Our intent here is to provide you with an understanding of the laws that pertain to these situations.

BACKGROUND

Penal Code Section 12025 makes it unlawful to carry a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following: Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section. Penal Code Section 12031 makes it unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on his or her person while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated
territory. A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm; except that a muzzleloader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.

In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory. Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this section.

Penal Code Section 626.9 makes it unlawful to possess a firearm, loaded or unloaded, concealed or not concealed, within 1,000 feet of any public or private school, subject to exceptions when the firearm is being transported. The suspect must know, or reasonably should have known that they are within 1,000 feet of the school.

While individuals have the right to carry unloaded firearms that are in plain view and not concealed, it is within a law enforcement officer’s right to inspect any weapon that is carried openly in public.

CAUTION

Open carry advocates create a potentially very dangerous situation. When police are called to a “man with a gun” call they typically are responding to a situation about which they have few details other than that one or more people are present at a location and are armed. Officers may have no idea that these people are simply “exercising their rights.”

Consequently, the law enforcement response is one of “hypervigilant urgency” in order to protect the public from an armed threat. Should the gun carrying person fail to comply with a law enforcement instruction or move in a way that could be construed as threatening, the police are forced to respond in kind for their own protection. It’s well and good in hindsight to say the gun carrier was simply “exercising their rights” but the result could be deadly. Simply put, it is not recommended to openly carry firearms.

San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office
Lt. Ray Lunny, Public Information Officer
650-363-4049
Release Date: January 14, 2010
# # # #

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 01-15-2010 at 1:02 AM..
Old 01-15-2010, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Open carry advocates create a potentially very dangerous situation. When police are called to a “man with a gun” call they typically are responding to a situation about which they have few details other than that one or more people are present at a location and are armed. Officers may have no idea that these people are simply “exercising their rights.”
Caller: There's a man with a gun at Jamba juice!
911: What is he doing?
Caller: Ordering a smoothie, no wait, he's ordering TWO!
911: Anything else?
Caller: He's getting an energy boost for both, and now he's buying a pretzel!
911: Mustard?
Old 01-15-2010, 1:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

OT, but do you think he pronounces his last name as "looney"?

Just askin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
[/FONT]
650-363-4049
# # # #

[/INDENT]

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-15-2010, 2:43 AM
In Memoriam

cant believe that story opened the news....
Old 01-15-2010, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle View Post
Old 01-15-2010, 5:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgunz View Post
Just because you are capable of strapping a holster and handgun on your hip and find your way to Jamba Juice.....

DOES NOT MEAN FOR A SECOND THAT YOU HAVE ANY TRAINING!

That may have been the most idiotic comment I have heard yet from an OC'er.
Yeah, that was pretty bad.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 01-15-2010, 7:25 AM

Is the San Mateo Warning Memo a threat? Don't follow the law or we may over react and shoot you? Ok, maybe not a direct threat but, certainly intimidation.

Last edited by putput; 01-15-2010 at 7:34 AM..
Old 01-15-2010, 7:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
An Open Carry warning memo has been issued by SMSO Sheriff Greg Munks - who apparently has more time on his hands now that he's not driving police vehicles on dept budget to Vegas to pick up hookers (along with Undersheriff Carlos Bolanos (Ask LVMPD.)

Open carry memo:
http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/Attachm..._opencarry.pdf

Poor lonely Sheriff Munks finding a date in Vegas:
http://www.examiner.com/a-693448~Sheriff_involved_in_Vegas_brothel_sting.htm l

Here's the memo text extracted from the .PDF above:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"UNLOADED OPEN CARRY"

ISSUE

Several questions and concerns have risen due to recent incidents where citizens have called the police to report people openly carrying revolvers or semi-automatic hand guns on their persons. This potentially dangerous practice is ostensibly an “exercise of constitutional rights” and an apparent effort to “test” those rights with authorities. Our intent here is to provide you with an understanding of the laws that pertain to these situations.

BACKGROUND

Penal Code Section 12025 makes it unlawful to carry a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following: Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section. Penal Code Section 12031 makes it unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on his or her person while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated
territory. A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm; except that a muzzleloader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.

In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory. Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this section.

Penal Code Section 626.9 makes it unlawful to possess a firearm, loaded or unloaded, concealed or not concealed, within 1,000 feet of any public or private school, subject to exceptions when the firearm is being transported. The suspect must know, or reasonably should have known that they are within 1,000 feet of the school.

While individuals have the right to carry unloaded firearms that are in plain view and not concealed, it is within a law enforcement officer’s right to inspect any weapon that is carried openly in public.

CAUTION

Consequently, the law enforcement response is one of “hypervigilant urgency” in order to protect the public from an armed threat. Should the gun carrying person fail to comply with a law enforcement instruction or move in a way that could be construed as threatening, the police are forced to respond in kind for their own protection. It’s well and good in hindsight to say the gun carrier was simply “exercising their rights” but the result could be deadly. Simply put, it is not recommended to openly carry firearms.

650-363-4049
# # # #

This has so much fail in it, I'm not sure where to begin.

1. It's fear mongering at its finest.

2. It suggests that it's only safe for police to openly carry, but anyone else is unsafe.

3. It leaves a persons "movements" open to interpretation as to what is a threat.

4. It places blame on the person open carrying, but not on the police for their lack of information gathering.

5. The term "hypervigilant urgency", is my new euphemism for freaking out.

On the positive side, the Jamba Juice employee got it right. It would be nice if everyone was as insightful.
Old 01-15-2010, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Yes the memo is bad for many reasons.

It cites 12025 but does not mention the (f) exemption.

It cites 12031 but does not mention Clark.

It openly encourages officers to violate UOCers rights and appears to encourage violent action, while openly threatening UOCers.

I think this sheriff is trying to help create "an incident", perhaps violent. The question is, why? Maybe he thinks it will help push the legislature to ban UOC somehow.

Meanwhile, the news story that resulted from it is pretty calm and reasonable.
Old 01-15-2010, 8:32 AM

What a pos. I guess it's going to be ok for police to just shoot anyone open carrying as it's up to them to define threatening.
Old 01-15-2010, 8:34 AM

bottom line, IF you open carry in San Mateo County we will find a reason to shoot you!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 8:35 AM
In Memoriam

And, once again, no mention that the reason OC is necessary is because CCW is impossible to get........at least that SHOULD be the message, the very first thing out of every OCer when being asked or interviewed.

The way is quite clear for LE to clamp down on this. There is no limit on (e) checks. That old saying, "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop" won't be true anymore, because Barney Fife will be walking alongside, making sure that you haven't chambered one since the last time he looked.
Old 01-15-2010, 8:38 AM

That was some surprisingly balanced journalism right there. I'm amazed, quite frankly...

Also very very good thing they mentioned the "1000 feet from schools", frankly not mentioning that is dangerous after all...

Love and Peace through superior firepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Plus, we can check out each other's hardware. Who says we can't find common ground?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Soap box, ballot box, jury box, ammo box. Use in that order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
You need to grow a full beard and move out into the woods before you can be a full fledged member of the surplus rifle long range shooting community.
Old 01-15-2010, 8:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Maybe we need to, respectfully, point out to the Sheriff and the media outlets the deficiencies... and that they are full of crap.

They should probably clarify their policy as relates to “hypervigilant urgency”. It looks to me as if it's a not-to-subtle policy of "we'll shoot first if you sneeze, and we'd be 'sorry' if you were just 'exercising one of your little rights'".

That said, I have no doubts we see the LEAs looking for a ban on UOC this year.

Old 01-15-2010, 8:46 AM

Thumbs up

When asked by the public what the Sheriff intends to do about this he can reply:

We've written a very strongly worded letter expressing our displeasure. If this persists, we will then issue a second very strongly worded letter, and a third and so on until this problem is resolved.

UN tactics at work.

John 14:6
Old 01-15-2010, 9:06 AM

I fear that this could be the nail in the coffin for oc, of any kind here in CA. for most people a man with a gun = bud guy, it took two months to put 12031 into law, how long would it take to make a law to make uoc a crime? It seems the oc'ers don't get it, we are in a fight for our rights and I for one want to win, but with stuff like this in the news we can lose it all, after all this is California.
Old 01-15-2010, 9:27 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
They should probably clarify their policy as relates to “hypervigilant urgency”. It looks to me as if it's a not-to-subtle policy of "we'll shoot first if you sneeze, and we'd be 'sorry' if you were just 'exercising one of your little rights'".
Giving the Sheriff the maximum benefit of the doubt, it at least sounds like they intend to routinely trample our 4A rights by going beyond a basic 12031e check and detaining us unreasonably for running serial numbers, checking for warrants, etc. Even if they don't intend to shoot us in the process.

Old 01-15-2010, 9:43 AM
Banned

Apparently they want to be prosecuted for Title 18, U.S.C., Section 241
Conspiracy Against Rights
and
Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242
Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law

at the very least.

Even worse if a law-abiding gun owner is murdered, especially after incorporation. Then it's federal death penalty time.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM

The more I think about this, the more it burns me. Maybe instead of shooting law abiding citizens, the San Mateo County Sheriff's Dept. should leave them alone? There's no PC or RAS that a law has been broken so, the 4A thing. There's also the fact that their protection is supposed to be second to protecting the people. And then maybe if they can't be trusted to not shoot lawful citizens then maybe THEY are the ones who shouldn't carry?
Old 01-15-2010, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Just posted over on OCDO: http://www.broowaha.com/articles/138...ages-the-truth

San Mateo County Sheriff Greg Munks got caught in the police raid of an illegal bordello in Las Vegas over the weekend.

ETA: My mistake, it was in 2007.

Last edited by MudCamper; 01-15-2010 at 3:55 PM..
Old 01-15-2010, 4:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGuy View Post
Giving the Sheriff the maximum benefit of the doubt, it at least sounds like they intend to routinely trample our 4A rights by going beyond a basic 12031e check and detaining us unreasonably for running serial numbers, checking for warrants, etc. Even if they don't intend to shoot us in the process.
You're probably right. I can live with gross violations of the Constitution, just don't shoot me.

On second thought, no I can't.

He's not busy enough - sounds like he needs something to do. To begin, I think I'll shoot him a copy of that little document he might want to brush up on.

Old 01-15-2010, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Austin, Texas Republic (Ex Fremont, peoples republic California)

I wonder if any of the UOC folks are planning to test the Sheriff's warning and try to do UOC in his county. Maybe he is baiting the UOC folks to try it?
Old 01-15-2010, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
Yeah, that was pretty bad.
Please, dudes...that comment certainly sounded like he was being a blow hard, but just before that some guy said carrying a gun implies that you're going to hurt someone and it's "inappropriate" to carry one.
Old 01-15-2010, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I fear that this could be the nail in the coffin for oc, of any kind here in CA. for most people a man with a gun = bud guy, it took two months to put 12031 into law, how long would it take to make a law to make uoc a crime? It seems the oc'ers don't get it, we are in a fight for our rights and I for one want to win, but with stuff like this in the news we can lose it all, after all this is California.
So it's okay to have rights just not okay to exercise them?

A man with a gun is a bad guy? If you're speaking about men committing crimes with guns then yeah, those ARE bad guys but if the man with a gun is buying a latte or a frozen yogurt then no.. he's not a bad guy and "most people" need to be told that when they call in to report the law abiding man with a gun, buying a jamba juice.

We ARE in a fight for our rights, especially here in California. I found the news clip quite calm and fair and yes, "here in the left leaning bay area it's going to take some getting used to."

Last edited by Lifeofahero; 01-15-2010 at 7:12 PM..
Old 01-15-2010, 7:51 PM

Hey I'm all for the open carry thing but couldn't the person that is exercising their right still be cited for disturbing the peace? I had this discussion the a Sargent from Irvine PD and that is what he told me.

Old 01-15-2010, 7:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell663 View Post
Hey I'm all for the open carry thing but couldn't the person that is exercising their right still be cited for disturbing the peace? I had this discussion the a Sargent from Irvine PD and that is what he told me.
Yes - that IS standard practice in the Soviet Union....
Old 01-15-2010, 8:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I can only assume that they want to encourage people to obtain a CCW from the sheriff, since lawfully open carrying is so obviously dangerous.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 01-15-2010, 8:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
Just posted over on OCDO: http://www.broowaha.com/articles/138...ages-the-truth

San Mateo County Sheriff Greg Munks got caught in the police raid of an illegal bordello in Las Vegas over the weekend.

ETA: My mistake, it was in 2007.
Sheriff involved in Vegas brothel sting
Quote:
Munks had been participating in a law enforcement relay run from Baker to Las Vegas over the weekend and was looking for a massage because he was sore from running, Bolanos told a CBS television reporter in Las Vegas after the bust.
This guy seems legit. I mean, who wouldn't want a massage after a run like that?

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by obeygiant; 01-15-2010 at 8:44 PM..
Old 01-15-2010, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Courtesy of Hoffmang. Note the Jamba Juice employee.

The gentlemen buying the jamba juice looks like he was in a store that is directly across the street from De Anza College. I wonder how close it was to violating the 1k feet law.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarter View Post
The gentlemen buying the jamba juice looks like he was in a store that is directly across the street from De Anza College. I wonder how close it was to violating the 1k feet law.
626.9 specifies the 1000ft restriction applies only to public and private schools which provide K-12 instruction. In later sections, it details that you may not carry a firearm directly on "marked property" of a public or private university or college.

So, he can be within 1000ft. of DeAnza - of course, I wouldn't count on the police to realize this.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Munks had been participating in a law enforcement relay run from Baker to Las Vegas over the weekend and was looking for a massage because he was sore from running, Bolanos told a CBS television reporter in Las Vegas after the bust.
Hmm. D'ya suppose my wife would buy that?

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
He's not busy enough - sounds like he needs something to do.
Sure you want to go there, 'hawker? The last time he had free time on his hands it didn't go well.

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sure you want to go there, 'hawker? The last time he had free time on his hands it didn't go well.

7x57
Good point.

An "Open Banana Carry March" (might that land us on some sort of a list?) may be right up Sheriff Happy Ending's ally.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post
cant believe that story opened the news....
I am surprised people still watch the TV news
Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
Apparently they want to be prosecuted for Title 18, U.S.C., Section 241
Conspiracy Against Rights
and
Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242
Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law

at the very least.

Even worse if a law-abiding gun owner is murdered, especially after incorporation. Then it's federal death penalty time.
statutes put into notes for future reference, thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
hahahahahaha classic

Quote:
"I definitely think guns should be controlled. When I am sleeping, my guns raid my fridge and drink all the milk. Oh sure, they deny it in the morning - but I know it was them!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
you can't argue logic with an anti....it's like trying to get an apple tree to grow bicycles
Old 01-16-2010, 8:40 AM

Made my morning thanks for the laugh...

Quote: