Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 08-12-2013, 3:54 PM

Default ***

Last edited by Galileo; 08-20-2013 at 1:53 PM..
Old 08-12-2013, 4:12 PM

Seems odd, and maybe petitionable.

I'm NOT an expert, and any actual experts please correct me if I'm wrong, but, using a "short" bbl shotgun is going to prematurely open up your shot string, thus when your shot intersects with the clay fewer pellets will have a chance of striking, and thus breaking, said clay.

So Galileo would be handicapping himself, knowingly, by not using an e.g. 26-30 inch barrel. The only one getting hurt is the OP as he kicks the dirt and says "awe shucks, missed another one".

Why would a "gun club" have a written rule on barrel length for clays? Or is it a "keeping out the riff-raff" kind of thing? Not that the Versamax Tact is cheap (I just bought one myself) but its nothing like a $40,000 custom Browning.

You might be able to write a well reasoned letter to OakTree's management and ask that they reconsider the BBL length requirements, Gun Clubs in California need all the help they can get given our political environment!
Old 08-12-2013, 4:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't think a short barrel would be a handicap in skeet. Skeet choke is pretty wide open, as most shots are in the 20-25 yard range. Cylinder Bore is constricted more by comparison. Standard skeet gun barrel length is 24".

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 08-12-2013, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I think it probably has more to do with the mall ninja's than anything else. Years and years ago most of my hunting buddies and I would go shoot a round of skeet and trap as sort of a warm up for bird season to get some trigger time and back into the swing and track mentality. I never liked a barrel length longer than 22 inches myself and it was never a problem then, I guess those days are gone now.
Old 08-12-2013, 4:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
You're not the first person I've heard who preferred the shorter barrels. This is partly what encouraged me to go ahead with this plan. So discouraging to hear I'm going to be treated like a mall ninja now.

Update, just spoke to a friend who has used a short barrel (18.5) at Ojai GC without being hassled, so maybe I'll be good to go.
I didn't mean to imply anything by that. My pheasant, quail and dove gun is a 20" incher. Ducks I go with a 26 when I get a chance to go these days. It is probably more of a rule for competition than those of us who just want to smoke a few clay's I hope at least.
Old 08-12-2013, 5:59 PM
Banned

Typical of folks finding ways to discriminate against other folks. Normally older folks who just don't like change.

The USMC issued a warning that the new rifle it was being forced to issue to the troops would kill more US troops then enemy. It was the M1A. The USMC considered the 1903 the best weapon ever made. They even listed dozens of problems with the new firearm.

Same thing happened with the AR15 / M16 platform.

They have a minimum barrel length due to FUD and only FUD. If you ask them why, you are going to hear a list of myth and nonsense.
Old 08-12-2013, 6:16 PM

They just don't want the kind of people who shoot with an 18 or 20 inch barrel. It has nothing to do with the gun itself.
Old 08-12-2013, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

There was also this thread about a fellow forum poster being yelled at for using his Saiga 12 to shoot clays.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...t=yelled+Saiga

Pretty funny actually.
Old 08-12-2013, 7:16 PM

^^^I just got done with reading all 4 pages of the above thread. Hilarious.

OP, sucks you didn't know about the minimum barrel length for clays at most ranges.

FWIW, I shoot at Oaktree and folks tend to be more forgiving when you are shooting in a group.....shhhh, try to blend in.
Old 08-12-2013, 7:28 PM

I have an 18" bbl Model 97 that I have used to shoot skeet. Last time out I got 23 out of 25. The main hint I noticed that might be an issue for the other shooters was the noise. It is much louder with the same ammunition compared to my 30" bbl. Remington 11-87. Nobody complained.
Old 08-12-2013, 7:48 PM

Find an extended choke that goes or protrudes almost two inches long.
Old 08-12-2013, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
Find an extended choke that goes or protrudes almost two inches long.
Solid advice, just don't get a rifled choke, you'll spin your shot column and REALLY open up the pattern!
Old 08-12-2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Well in my case, "the kind of people" who shoot with 22" barrels are law abiding, former Boy Scout, American citizens with a college degree, a child in college, with fathers, uncles, and grandfathers that were Marines, Soldiers, and Airmen who have fought in every war since WWII, and who have respect for others and for safety. Not sure why they wouldn't want those kind of people.
I get it. I don't necessarily agree with them.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Wow, just Wow.

Op your good to go with the 22" barrel at any range with 24" restrictions....just be safe. No one is going to give you the boot for shooting a field configured shotgun with a 2" shorter barrel

Barrel up, action open, no shells in the mag.

Load only when its your turn to shoot and your in the station. Load one shell at a time when shooting singles and two when shooting doubles.

Go have fun
Old 08-13-2013, 6:32 AM

Only disadvantage to using a shorter barrel in a shotgun is the shorter sight plane. You lose little to no velocity because shotguns operate at much lower pressure levels compared to other firearms.

Pattern in a shotgun is more controlled by choke. A 20" barrel with a full choke will pattern similar to a 30" barrel with a full choke.

I shot at Prado just the other day and I normally use my CZ712 gas semi shotgun for trap and skeet, but for whatever reason, my father that went with me consistently played better with my Maverick 88 HD gun.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 08-13-2013, 6:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Now I have never been to Ojai Valley Gun Club, so I can't speak to that situation. Commonly the reason clubs request a minimum barrel length is to minimize the sound level. The people along side you in the squad take the hearing damage. The blast is reduced by the longer barrel. As an extreme example look at the metro gun, http://www.metrogun.com/.

A 22" barrel might not even be noticed. If you are in a squad with your friends who also have their short barrel shotguns who would complain?

I see these signs at many ranges where I also see people shooting HD shotguns, so the rules aren't rigorously enforced unless you become a problem. It has been my experience if you follow all the safety rules and are considerate of other shooters you will get along just fine.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 AM
CGN Contributor

OP fess up, you were the one I saw shooting that 870 Express tactical w/pistol grip with your girl friend at Oak Tree? She was in high-heels shooting like she was shooting a pistol and got drop on her butt when it flew out of her hands. The 870 didn't get that scratched up when it hit the gound.

Is that the kind of 18" barrel shooters you guys are talking about? I am a member at Oak Tree and am kind of glad they have some rules in place... protects everyone. Oak Tree is a great place, give them a call and talk with them. By the way, they have never measured our barrels.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Last edited by Simi-Surfer; 08-13-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-13-2013, 3:21 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
^Hahaha nope not me, mine is Versa Max Tactical, which is an auto loader with a rifle stock (not a pistol grip), and has a 22" barrel. I just got it Saturday, have never even fired it.
I know, just kidding. But I did witness this last time I was at Oak Tree. I have to say, I wish I was a little quicker - it sure would have made a great Youtube video.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 08-14-2013, 1:09 PM
Veteran Member

Im willing to bet my 19" 870 shoots tighter patterns than most of the guns you will see on the trap line.

I think another aspect of the short barrels is the noise. They are a little louder and many of the old timers don't use hearing protection so them complain. At least that's been my experience.