Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM

Default "cook off" in an AR?

How hot does the chamber have to be for this to happen? And how many rounds of rapid fire does it take to get to this temp? What do you do to avoid it from happening if ur barrel has already gotten hot? Does pouring water on the barrel help cool it off? I'm asking in this sub-forum because theres more knowledgeable people here with actual experience.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Saw James Yeager speak about it in one of his videos, but never seen it happen IRL.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

In 6 years of reserves, and all active time leading up to, and including it, I have never seen an AR, or M16A2 cook off a round. I worked with ammo, and the armorers too, so I was there about every time rounds went off, and if not the others would have told me about it, as I worked with them more often than not.

The M60 is an open bolt firearm, maybe to not have a round sitting in a chamber of a red hot barrel after automatic-fire? I would guess. I can't remember if the M2 (.50 cal) was open bolt though. I just read that the M249 SAW is open bolt, as is M240(G).

I would guess that is you did more than 2) 100 round mag-dumps consecutively then it MIGHT START to get hot enough to start worrying.
I would hope that you had a Heavy Barrel if you wish to try though.
--------------------------------
Just found this, so I was pretty close-ish:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...f=118&t=519040

Last edited by the86d; 06-06-2012 at 1:07 PM.. Reason: "Just found this"
Old 06-06-2012, 1:16 PM

Look at this video (from another post a few days ago) and start watching at about 2:00. at about 2:14 there is a cook off

Old 06-06-2012, 1:57 PM

I carried a M14 and never had a cook off but I never fired on automatic even though I had a selecter switch I couldn't control where the bullets were going on automatic.

I have been in fire fights where we cooked off 50 cal rounds and have shot out barrels where the round lost all accuracy. The 50 will definitely cook off rounds and the way to stop it is to kink the belted ammo so it can't continue to feed.

It is hard to believe some one would shoot that long and that many rounds out of an m-16 to cook off round but I would guess it is possible.

The newer military weapons of foreign design are all open bolt to control heat and improove accuaracy from what I have seen.
Old 06-06-2012, 9:41 PM

Surefire's test didn't cook off at 500 rounds.

http://bcove.me/celdhs59
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Falcon Operations Group did their own torture test and ran about 1090 rounds through their 11.5in gas piston upper before it started to cook off.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM

Here's a video of a cook-off test from 1994

Old 06-07-2012, 1:24 PM

Mythbusters had an episode (ep. 85 "Red Rag to a Bull") where they put a bullet in an oven and a gun with a bullet in an oven to see if it could cook off and if it was lethal.

Cookoff temperature for the oven was something like 450-500°F.