Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-04-2019, 2:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Need SW/Ham radio for listening

So, I want to upgrade. The only radio I have with SW is an old Radio Shack SW-100. It doesn't seem to pick up anything on SW. I thought I would hear 'something' other than some spots on the dial where it has static.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily wanting to communicate/program a radio, mostly just want to listen. Any good ones out there? Should I get digital so I know for sure when I have a station tuned in?
Old 08-04-2019, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
So, I want to upgrade. The only radio I have with SW is an old Radio Shack SW-100. It doesn't seem to pick up anything on SW. I thought I would hear 'something' other than some spots on the dial where it has static.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily wanting to communicate/program a radio, mostly just want to listen. Any good ones out there? Should I get digital so I know for sure when I have a station tuned in?
First you need to sort out your antenna.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:50 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Well you could go to a web linked SDR receiver (software defined radio) and try the airwaves that way. There are a bunch of them linked there for you to try.

http://www.websdr.org/

I was using this one earlier today listening to the 40 meter West Coast Swap Net on 7.240 MHz LSB... It has a waterfall display showing signals within designated bandwidths that you want to listen to.

http://www.sdrutah.org/websdr1.html

or get a SDR dongle to use with a computer and an external antenna for a receiver under $100 dollars at the most...

You could get off of Ebay a Radioshack/ Realestic model DX-390 - DX-392 with casstette deck - Sangean ATX-818 all are basically the same receiver models of portable AM/ FM/ SW 1.6 to 30 MHz with CW and SSB capabilities for around 50 bucks and up. I like them so much I have a half of dozen of them that were used, and they will accept an external antenna/ besides the extendable whip antenna.

Or you can go full tilt boogie with a room full of radios. That is some of my collection (mostly R.L. Drake tube type equipment shown) of 43+ years with an Advanced Class Amateur Radio License.

Old 08-06-2019, 1:18 AM
Veteran Member

go here

https://www.hamradio.com/

but get your ham call. a tech permit is easy. and still costs almost nothing.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

For SW (short wave) radio listening your best bet is to try to tune something in at night for the best reception.
Day time sux.

Be prepared for lots of non-English speaking stations. Stations tend to frequently fade in and out.
Not worth it IMO.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post

Ha, my dad’s ham room (KB6BO?) looked just like this. I ended up with a bunch of radio stuff after he passed. I have no clue if they are in working order... They are older models, (he was very frugal).

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 08-14-2019, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

i will give you $20.usd for the lot, i will even pick it up from you.
Old 08-20-2019, 5:25 PM

Would one of the cheap baofeng's do the job? $40
Old 08-20-2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjerr View Post
Yes, it certainly will. Ignore the Baofeng haters. Baofeng is not high quality professional equipment, but it just fine for a beginner/prepper.
Old 08-30-2019, 2:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That won't have SW bands.
Old 08-30-2019, 5:25 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
That won't have SW bands.
The Baofengs will cover the FM Broadcast Band 65 to 108 MHz, and UHF / VHF bands. Those frequencies include amateur radio, public service - police, fire, etc./ NOAA weather radio and such users.

First you need to know what radio users are in your area, and what frequencies that they use. Or you can program the radio to search for active frequencies, but some public services only use their transmitters seldom, or on rare occasions..

Here is a search for the public services frequencies in Humboldt County that I did, and they do not show all of the frequencies I have on my list from many years of monitoring.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/...ctid=194&rpt=1

Even having a bunch of Handi-Talkies (HTs) manufactured long before the Baofengs, I broke down and bought one recently - UV-5R with the Nagoya 771 extended antenna, larger battery (BL-5L) and car charger cord, alkaline battery case, speaker microphone, and a 3 feet long coaxial jumper cable for going from the radio SMA-Female to PL-259 connectors to connect the radio to my VHF/ UHF multiple antennas. I paid closer to $50 for all of that Baofeng stuff off of flea-bay.

They are marginally OK entry level radios for the money, and I may give this Baofeng to a local economically deprived younger new ham in the near future. I did the manual key-pad programming for the radio, since I do that for all of my other HTs and mobile radios (Yaesu/ Icom/ Radioshack/ Alinco). Plus if I were to go out of the area, I may not have my notebook computer with me to program the Baofeng UV-5R using the software.

Look at my post above, for info on monitoring the HF/ shortwave bands.
Old 08-30-2019, 5:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post

What is it you want to listen to, specifically?

I'm a licensed technician amateur radio licensee KK6XXX.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 08-30-2019, 5:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
The Baofengs will cover the FM Broadcast Band 65 to 108 MHz, and UHF / VHF bands. Those frequencies include amateur radio, public service - police, fire, etc./ NOAA weather radio and such users.

First you need to know what radio users are in your area, and what frequencies that they use. Or you can program the radio to search for active frequencies, but some public services only use their transmitters seldom, or on rare occasions..

Here is a search for the public services frequencies in Humboldt County that I did, and they do not show all of the frequencies I have on my list from many years of monitoring.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/...ctid=194&rpt=1

Even having a bunch of Handi-Talkies (HTs) manufactured long before the Baofengs, I broke down and bought one recently - UV-5R with the Nagoya 771 extended antenna, larger battery (BL-5L) and car charger cord, alkaline battery case, speaker microphone, and a 3 feet long coaxial jumper cable for going from the radio SMA-Female to PL-259 connectors to connect the radio to my VHF/ UHF multiple antennas. I paid closer to $50 for all of that Baofeng stuff off of flea-bay.

They are marginally OK entry level radios for the money, and I may give this Baofeng to a local economically deprived younger new ham in the near future. I did the manual key-pad programming for the radio, since I do that for all of my other HTs and mobile radios (Yaesu/ Icom/ Radioshack/ Alinco). Plus if I were to go out of the area, I may not have my notebook computer with me to program the Baofeng UV-5R using the software.

Look at my post above, for info on monitoring the HF/ shortwave bands.
OP mentioned SW. Baofengs don't handle that. Also OP mentions ham bands. That is a lot of bands without him specifying which particular bands he wants.

Like someone else said, OP needs to straight out his antenna issue. OP may need to install an external antenna.

At the very least, for SW, OP needs an antenna extender: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00066Z9XG
Old 09-18-2019, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

i say buy a quality radio, they just work better,
but triple yes even a cheap radio, will be improved with the proper antenna.
Old 09-18-2019, 8:35 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

https://countycomm.com/products/coun...-purpose-radio

CountyComm GP-5 SSB ( GEN 3 ) General Purpose Radio

CountyComm is pleased to announce the GP-5/SSB radio with excellent HF communications monitoring in a unique handheld form factor and at a great price. The radio covers medium wave 520-1710 kHz shortwave 2300-30000 kHz and the FM band. Unlike most radios in this price category, the GP-5/SSB provides LSB and USB single sideband reception. It has a very unique Easy Tuning Mode (ETM). ETM does more the usual ATS. It scans all frequencies without taking up the memory spaces. So you get quick access to all local stations. Great for the traveler. There are also 450 regular memories (100 AM, 100 FM and 250 shortwave) available for tuning into your favorite stations. Another unique feature of the radio is its removable high sensitivity external AM ferrite antenna. This directional antenna clearly enhances AM band reception. The CountyComm GP-5/SSB even employs DSP (Digital Signal Processing) technology, improving clarity and tone quality. There is even an adjustable sleep timer.

Old 09-19-2019, 8:43 AM

$49.99 at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-360...910963&sr=8-18
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tec.jpg (87.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by borderguy; 09-19-2019 at 8:45 AM..
Old 09-19-2019, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
https://countycomm.com/products/coun...-purpose-radio

CountyComm GP-5 SSB ( GEN 3 ) General Purpose Radio
The only real issue with these is that the antennas that come with this are way too short to be efficient. A ~7mhz (where many nighttime shortwave stations are) dipole-type antenna is generally a horizontal piece of wire that is 20 meters in length.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 09-24-2019, 2:37 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
The only real issue with these is that the antennas that come with this are way too short to be efficient. A ~7mhz (where many nighttime shortwave stations are) dipole-type antenna is generally a horizontal piece of wire that is 20 meters in length.
https://countycomm.com/products/shor...oil-up-antenna
Old 09-24-2019, 2:39 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderguy View Post
Does not receive Single Sideband, SSB, like the GP-5 hence the cheaper price.
Old 09-24-2019, 2:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post

Be prepared for lots of non-English speaking stations. Stations tend to frequently fade in and out.
Not worth it IMO.
LOL. AM radio at night.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 09-24-2019, 6:46 PM

If anyone wants to pick up something from County Comm, I have a 10% off coupon.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk