Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-01-2017, 8:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default storing fuel

right now I keep four 5 plastic gallons of fuel for my generator. I want to get a 30 gallon drum. I have been searching but cant find a definite answer. can I keep fuel in a plain steel drum or does it have to be lined with some specific coating.

I don't want a 55 gallon drum. in my senior years now. lol

or should I build a "strong" storage cabinet for the plastic fuel containers.

I see the GI steel containers, but not sure they will hold up in a earthquake if the house falls apart.
Old 10-01-2017, 9:05 AM

Why not get some more 5 gallon cans? Mark them 1 through 12, and after you get all 12 filled up, next fill up dump #1 into your car and re-fill it at the gas station with fresh gas.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:05 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsrfun View Post
Why not get some more 5 gallon cans? Mark them 1 through 12, and after you get all 12 filled up, next fill up dump #1 into your car and re-fill it at the gas station with fresh gas.
While that makes sense, it also sounds like a major PITA! Those fuel cans have a tendency to LEAK. If you leak gas into your trunk, it takes MONTHS to dissipate.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

You might want to look into a tri-fuel generator like my Honda. They run on gas, propane or NG. MUCH easier to store propane than gas

Last edited by CAL.BAR; 10-01-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Old 10-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews...ll_btm?ie=UTF8

This might be a better option. Put stabil and/or a preservative that removes the ethanol (ethanol shiel). Both can be purchased at HD.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use sta-bil and rotate my fuel once a year. Looking for a stronger way of storing fuel. A drum is alot stronger than plastic containers. I have seen GI containers leak at the bottom.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post

This might be a better option. Put stabil and/or a preservative that removes the ethanol (ethanol shiel). Both can be purchased at HD.

Thats what i was looking for. Funny when i googled. I used to only get the rectangular ones. Drum is stronger.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2017, 10:36 AM

I'll second the gas caddy idea. I have one of them, and they're great - just treat them with Sta-Bil, rotate the gas every once in a while (easy to fill your car up with them by using the crank), and you're good to go. A really nice thing about them is that they're on wheels, so very easy to move to where you want it to be.

I've even bolted mine to my trailer for transport, unbolted and wheeled it off the trailer at the gas station, filled the whole thing up, wheeled it back onto the trailer, and off I went. That's especially great when you have a few Safeway gas rewards to burn up.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes, i have been looking at those tri-fuel conversions.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

When filling containers date them to help with rotations...
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 10-01-2017, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Plastic it terrible for long term fuel storage. You want a sealed steel container. They make 16 gallon fuel drums just like the 55 gallon ones that are easier to move around. Metal jerry can is the easiest solution for me. I use stabil and the fuel is good for 1-2 years then it gets dumped in the truck. https://deutscheoptik.com/20-liter-j...t-of-four.html Also, have some way to siphon fuel out of vehicles if you think you may need additional fuel for generators.
Old 10-02-2017, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
While that makes sense, it also sounds like a major PITA! Those fuel cans have a tendency to LEAK. If you leak gas into your trunk, it takes MONTHS to dissipate.
Buy good quality gas cans. They are out there.
Old 10-02-2017, 8:03 AM

I recently bought a couple 20l cans from Atlantic British. Good quality build and good spouts. They're green so I just painted the handles red and coated the bottoms with bed liner to prevent scratching/rust. I plan to buy a few more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post

You can remove ethanol by just letting the gas absorb water and waiting for phase separation, then straining the water out. As far as I know, removing the ethanol from E10 will drop the octane rating a few points (could be bad depending on application). Storing gas in an airtight container will slow down the aging process quite a bit. Or, there's AVGAS 100LL. That stuff is supposed to last a good long time and should be perfectly fine in a generator application.
Old 10-05-2017, 2:12 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

I use some 20L Nato refurbed cans I bought years back. They hold the fuel well and I rotate about once a year or so with no troubles.
No leaks and you should keep your face away from the spout when opening because they can build up pressure depending on the heat.
Good for transporting used oil also
Old 10-05-2017, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
I don't want a 55 gallon drum. in my senior years now. lol
Get a set of cans like these. They'll keep you young:

Old 10-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post

Those No-Spills are great for pouring, especially into small engines. For storage I prefer sealed galvanized steel cans, however I haven’t seen any ill effects of long term storage with the No-Spills.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I use 5 gallon cans. One of our prepping precepts is that both myself and my wife mjst be able to use all preps on our own. This is why wd have 2 small generatkrs that can be linked instead of a single larger generator... tbe small ones she can load into the tru k by herself.

I know she could not load a 30 gallon drum. She can load the 5 gallon cans.

The 5 gallon cans are easy to rotate. I kedp about 100 gallons and rotate about 20 gallons per quarter. Gas never gets to be more than about 18 months. I am not sure how i would rotate a 30 gallon drum without a transfer pump and that seems like a complication compared to the simplicity i enjoy now.

Use Sta-Bil ir Pri-G. Rotate. Think "portable". Think about your wife or you trying to use it (anticipate illness or injury bdcause when SHTF plenty of people get hurt in ways they normally wouldn't). You break your collarbone or dislocate a shoulder, how are you going to manage?

I had this point driven home a couple years ago when a power outage happened while i was at work. After a few hours my wife started getting concerned about tbe food in the fridge/freezer. She could set up the generator, carry the fuel, run the extension cord to the kitchen... "what next?" she asks over the phone. "Now plug in the fridge"... "I can't reach the plug!" "So scoot the fridge..." "it's too heavy, it won't budge!" Well fortunately for us the power came back on and we didn't lose any food but the experience was a real eye-opener. I got a 6 foot appliance cord and plugged it into the outlet behind the fridge and looped it oved a nail near enough the front of the fridge that she could reach... that iz wbere the fridge cord goes now for ease of access. If i'd have been out of town and the power had stayed out she'd have been in a pickle. This way she can manage it solo if need be.

If you are over 6' & 200+ and it's nothing for you to scoot a full size fridge it can be easy to overlook the limitations of your 5'-whatever wife's short reach and the laughability of her trying to move a 300 lb appliance...like i did. This is why running actual dry run drills matters. Just going tbrough it in your mind isn't enough.

Last edited by bruss01; 10-09-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 3:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Ethanol is NOT the problem in fuels. Watch this video, and look into purchasing a racing fuel, or other non highway fuel.

https://youtu.be/vtz9367lCpQ

This is what I use. Expensive yes, but the ability of my wife to fuel our generator is priceless
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4467_200484467
Old 10-12-2017, 4:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i remember when i was little my dad had a 55 gallon drum and he would siphon a bit from the car into it we had a truck and station wagon and gas station did odd or even every other day

i have 9 old usmc* cans they dont really leak but its easy to spill a bit i use the fluid transfer pump that takes 2aas i have nozzles but the cans are heavy and i am lazy i use it up in a couple months i have a can of 40:1 mix from last year and it made my ryobi work this year

*us metal can(precurser of blitz)
Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

5-gal plastic, new caps, easy to transport, rotate, and use.
Old 10-14-2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post

Nice cans, I bet they would make it easier to fill my motorboat!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
5-gal plastic, new caps, easy to transport, rotate, and use.
plastic is great but so often i see one in the back of a pickup swelled up like a balloon or faded to a pink color

metal is not much better in the sun generally they do not swell but if they get hot then cool they can suck in and make dents as they deflate