Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
You don't get more kinetic energy without more recoil. I'm puzzled as to how you don't know that.
And human beings are different as well, I'm puzzed how you didn't know that.

If you're a 6'2" 240lb mechanic that turns wrenches all day, you probably have a little stronger hands and arms than a 5'7" 165lb office worker.

So I'll ask once again, and please refrain from defferring like a liberal, if someone else can go pew pew pew with a 10mm just as fast and accurately as you go pew pew pew with a 9mm, what's the downside to putting more kinetic energy into the target?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-19-2019, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking of a 10mm but now I am sticking with 9 and 45. Me likey 45.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 05-19-2019, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post

If you're a 6'2" 240lb mechanic that turns wrenches all day, you probably have a little stronger hands and arms than a 5'7" 165lb office worker.
Technique trumps strength in handgun shooting. The best action pistol shooters in the world are generally not that big.

9mm is also cheaper than 10mm, which means more practice for the same amount of money.

Quote:
if someone else can go pew pew pew with a 10mm just as fast and accurately as you go pew pew pew with a 9mm, what's the downside to putting more kinetic energy into the target?
What is "just as fast"? Anyone who can shoot "just as fast" with a 10mm can shoot just as faster with a 9mm, which is more bullets on target. 4 rounds of 124gr (345 ft lb) > 3 rounds of 180gr (424 ft lb).

And if you have completely ignored the doctor I quote who is the world's foremost authority on bullet wounds and the engineers at Federal, I'll quote another expert in the field of wound ballistics:

"NONE of the common service pistol calibers generate temporary cavities of sufficient magnitude to cause significant tissue damage...Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers. "
-Dr. Gary Roberts

https://modernserviceweapons.com/?author=5
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 05-19-2019, 1:30 PM

Here we go yet again!
In my career of responding professionally to many medical incidents, and having been on-scene of a fair number of cases where humans were struck by various bullets in a variety of circumstances, I keep my preference of weapon choice very simple: handguns=marginal (all calibers), rifles/shotguns=much better.
There are simply too many variables to say one is better than the other when it comes to the old 9mm vs .45ACP debate, they are both less than stellar when it comes to immediately ending social hostilities.
I would offer that scoring a solid hit with whatever you choose is always better than a minor wounding with something less shootable, however you define that.
Of course, rule #1 is DON'T GET SHOT.
Old 05-19-2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python6357 View Post
Correct, BUT... a hit with a 45 beats a hit with a 9mm!
Another case of "it depends".
Something else to avoid: Angry 61YO female with golf club. One hit with "Flying Ashtray" to pelvis, second hit with same upper chest; she still had enough to wallup her Pompton neighbor in the face several times. They both recovered. He likely still eats through a straw.
Old 05-19-2019, 2:23 PM

I cannot commit because it would cost me 10% more income.
Old 05-19-2019, 3:55 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Technique trumps strength in handgun shooting. The best action pistol shooters in the world are generally not that big.

9mm is also cheaper than 10mm, which means more practice for the same amount of money.

What is "just as fast"? Anyone who can shoot "just as fast" with a 10mm can shoot just as faster with a 9mm, which is more bullets on target. 4 rounds of 124gr (345 ft lb) > 3 rounds of 180gr (424 ft lb).

And if you have completely ignored the doctor I quote who is the world's foremost authority on bullet wounds and the engineers at Federal, I'll quote another expert in the field of wound ballistics:

"NONE of the common service pistol calibers generate temporary cavities of sufficient magnitude to cause significant tissue damage...Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers. "
-Dr. Gary Roberts

https://modernserviceweapons.com/?author=5

Once again you have failed to answer a very simple question, at this point I have to assume youre either too stupid to comprehend the question or too arrogant to tolerate a viewpoint different than your own.

I'm done conversing with a tree stump, so i'll just leave this quote from the self named smartest man on the forum...

Quote:
So naturally a normal conversation between two humans can't be had on Calguns because the other chooses the low road.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-20-2019, 6:29 AM

Quote:
And human beings are different as well, I'm puzzed how you didn't know that.

So I'll ask once again, and please refrain from defferring like a liberal, if someone else can go pew pew pew with a 10mm just as fast and accurately as you go pew pew pew with a 9mm, what's the downside to putting more kinetic energy into the target?
The problem you're not seeing is that anyone that can keep a 10mm on target and quickly fire follow up shots will be even better with a 9mm. Also, 10mm lite (FBI spec, which led to the 40 S&W) isn't the same as the original full house Norma loading. Why? Because keeping follow up shots on target. The FBI got their hands on their 1076 Smiths and immediately downloaded to what is essentially .40 S&W in a giant stainless steel pistol.

The 10mm as originally intended is a very powerful round, but that all comes at a cost. Blast, flash, recoil, etc. Shooting 38 spl out of your 357 is the same thing. Load up some light .38 WC then follow with a cylinder of Underwood .357. No matter how good you are, there's a difference.
Old 05-20-2019, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy View Post
The problem you're not seeing is that anyone that can keep a 10mm on target and quickly fire follow up shots will be even better with a 9mm.
I don't think there is a problem. He has an opinion and you aren't going to change it. He's probably read and posted in 1,001 caliber religion threads like everyone else.

If you think he hasn't seen something, it is because you got trolled. IMHO. Some people want to shoot .45 and some people love full house 10mm or .460 or .500... they aren't necessarily going to admit they can pop off doubles a triples easier with a 9mm, because they don't have to if they don't want to. IMHO. Maybe they like that it bugs you, hahahah.
Old 05-20-2019, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python6357 View Post
The FN fnp45 throws the 9mm argument out the window with its 15+1 of Holy balls.
Any Glock .45 ACP double stack can hold 15+1 or 25+1 AFAIK. I'd love to have some of the new FN autos. CA sucks.

Since the +2 baseplates are cheating, you can compare those to an XD9 with the 18+1 Mecgar flush fits. I have those and still don't like my XD9, but capactiy is fine. 19 is good for a normal looking hand gun (no obscene stick mag/drop mag)

Last edited by crufflers; 05-20-2019 at 6:03 PM..
Old 05-20-2019, 3:23 PM

What recoil in a 45ACP? Huh? Recoil in a 10mm?

Extra weights and low-power reloads for a 9mm? Really now?

_
Old 05-20-2019, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Don't know because the magazine won't seat with the slide closed. Don't think the Glock is designed to be loaded that way, can't think of any circumstance where you would. The slide needs to be locked back in order to insert the mag.
The Glock Owner's Manual disagrees with you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glock Manual0001.jpg (102.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Glock Manual0002.jpg (90.1 KB, 31 views)