Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-17-2019, 7:16 PM

Default RV Generators?

The PG&E blackouts have me thinking about a generator again. Browsing my local Craigslist for “generator” brings up some take-out Onan generators. They’re not super cheap, but I wonder if they aren’t quieter or more durable or have a better duty cycle or something.

Any reason to consider one of these? Anything they would do better?
Old 10-17-2019, 7:18 PM

I have one in my '06 Toy Hauler. Worked great for us during the black out. As far as I know they are one of, if not the best.
Old 10-17-2019, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

I simply have two Honda EU2000 inverter generators with the parallel kit, giving me 4000 watts of start/surge power, 3600 watts continuous. Now they make a 2200 watt genny with a parallel kit. I only need a parallel kit if I’m running the air conditioner in summer. My microwave or coffee pot works just fine on one single generator. SUUUUUPER quiet. I can keep one or both on “ECO” mode all night without anyone else hear them run if need be.

I’d recommend that set up. Light and quiet and portable.

Besides, nobody wants a frick’n noisy “ lawnmower” running next to them at a camp sight. You get what you pay for. Honda.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-17-2019, 8:42 PM

Honda portables is the way to go. Like the post above, I have two EU2000s with a parallel kit. Each generator can be easily carried, and they can be joined together when more wattage is needed. Most of the time, I run mine separately.

Anyway, the Hondas are quiet, reliable, and are true sine wave, meaning you get really clean power that will not foul up electronics.

Sure, you can get a Look-A-Like "Honda" generator for 1/2 the price of the true Honda, and that is a good way to go if you want a generator worth 1/4 the capabilities and benefits of the Honda.
Old 10-17-2019, 8:48 PM

I plan on adding a 220v outlet with a dedicated breaker at the panel. This way I can turn off my main breaker, and plug in the generator and power my house with a custom made power cord.
Old 10-17-2019, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Another Honda EU2000 fan here...Has never failed me. Paid a $950 8 years ago. Worth every penny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
I simply have two Honda EU2000 inverter generators with the parallel kit, giving me 4000 watts of start/surge power, 3600 watts continuous. Now they make a 2200 watt genny with a parallel kit. I only need a parallel kit if I’m running the air conditioner in summer. My microwave or coffee pot works just fine on one single generator. SUUUUUPER quiet. I can keep one or both on “ECO” mode all night without anyone else hear them run if need be.

I’d recommend that set up. Light and quiet and portable.

Besides, nobody wants a frick’n noisy “ lawnmower” running next to them at a camp sight. You get what you pay for. Honda.
Old 10-17-2019, 9:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just bought a predator 3500 from harbor freight. About the same loudness as a Honda EU 2000i. $768 shipped to my door. Has an hour meter, electric start, and cheaper than the Honda which is made in Taiwan by the way. The Predator is a better deal.
Old 10-17-2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
I plan on adding a 220v outlet with a dedicated breaker at the panel. This way I can turn off my main breaker, and plug in the generator and power my house with a custom made power cord.
I seem to remember reading/hearing of some issues in doing this. I'm far from an expert though, so I suggest that you ask around.
Old 10-17-2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigger hammer View Post
I seem to remember reading/hearing of some issues in doing this. I'm far from an expert though, so I suggest that you ask around.
I’m an electrical contractor. The only issue I could think of is I would be limited to the amperage of the components.
Old 10-17-2019, 9:54 PM

I have a old Onan 4BFA on a wheeled stainless steel fuel tank/cart up in north county if your interested. It is 4,000 watts and 120V only model and burns 0.75 gallons of gas per hour. It weights a metric F ton and needs to be primed as it's not gravity fed but one running purrs like a kitten.

They truly are overbuilt and designed to last forever really but no where near as efficient or electrically as clean as modern inverter generators like my Yamahas.
Old 10-17-2019, 9:54 PM

Fyi I just picked up a champion 2000w from basspro today on sale for $399 they had the 3500w in both gas and dual fuel. I didn't check prices on the bigger ones as I'm just using for cabover camper.
They are the inverter models

Last edited by superdave50; 10-17-2019 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 10-17-2019, 11:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajajoaquin View Post
The PG&E blackouts have me thinking about a generator again. Browsing my local Craigslist for “generator” brings up some take-out Onan generators. They’re not super cheap, but I wonder if they aren’t quieter or more durable or have a better duty cycle or something.

Any reason to consider one of these? Anything they would do better?
Onan makes fine genny's.

Compares to Yanmar and Perkins (Caterpillar) quality IMO. Kubota makes some good stuff too.
https://www.hardydiesel.com/diesel-g...s-7-33-kw.html

For an occasional use I'd look for something Like a Yamaha or Honda tri-fuel equipped.
I use a Yamaha 6300isde for a reliable genny for frequent outages. Living in the hinter land comes with a certain amount of trade-offs.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-18-2019, 12:33 AM
Calguns Addict

If they're being pulled out of motorhomes it's possible they've had one of two types of usage.

The first is the person that use their mobile home a lot and had probably had the generator running constantly so they might've even kept up with maintenance, oil changes Etc. But the thing will have high hours on it.

The second type is where they are not being used at all or very little so they're probably not getting any maintenance, other than something that absolutely needs it like changing a spark plug. And then they probably sat in storage yards where no one was doing even the basic occasional turn over and running them for a bit.

Onan had a great reputation and you might find a deal but if it was me I would go with a new air cleaner energy and most importantly quiet Honda ....

and the smallest you think you would need cover all your bases.

But that's just coming from someone who's owned an older Onan generator that was in a neglected in storage mobile home, before I bought it, and using my friends larger Honda generator.
Old 10-18-2019, 6:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Best to have a mechanical interlock if you go that route. They are available for most popular panels.

I have a generator 'inlet' box mounted on my panel that feeds the generator breaker. That way, no 'suicide' cord is needed.
Old 10-20-2019, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkprisoner View Post
Just bought a predator 3500 from harbor freight. About the same loudness as a Honda EU 2000i. $768 shipped to my door. Has an hour meter, electric start, and cheaper than the Honda which is made in Taiwan by the way. The Predator is a better deal.
“About the same loudness as a Honda EU2000i.”
...Keep telling yourself that.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Champion dual fuel about a grand for 3200 watts
Old 10-20-2019, 10:16 AM

A built in RV generator is installed to match the load, you need to know your load to run part of your house.
IMHO, for the occasional black out, the Honda or Yamaha inverter generator is the way to go (plenty of capacity to keep the fridge cold and charge devices until the power comes back on). Any more power demands and you get beyond the capability of a portable generator.
Old 10-21-2019, 9:25 AM

Most RV generators that I've seen(limmited) are 120V only and they are not any quieter, they are just mounted in a sound deadening cabinet. They also will need a separate fuel tank
Old 10-21-2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylogger6 View Post
Most RV generators that I've seen(limmited) are 120V only and they are not any quieter, they are just mounted in a sound deadening cabinet. They also will need a separate fuel tank
RV genset mufflers suck. I had the local muffler shop fit a QUALITY muffler on one of my Snap-on trucks, and the difference was night and day.
Old 10-21-2019, 7:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Champion dual fuel about a grand for 3200 watts
I got myself one of these from Costco. Runs great. Propane is cheaper than gas and last longer and burns cleaner. Best way to go. Find some empty tanks on CL for stupid cheap then fill in up and stack em deep.
Old 10-29-2019, 9:08 AM

I bought 2 Yamaha 2000ie's.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:48 AM

When I owned a camper & trailer, I bought a Honda EU2000 already converted to propane which was ideal for backup/dry camp use. No gas to worry about. Sold the generator after I sold the camper & trailer.

However, as noted above, a single EU2000 is a little under powered and would have difficulty running the AC along w/other devices at the same time. So, you might need 2 to run everything at the same time. Assume it could be done solely w/propane if you modify each for propane. The propane kits for the EU2000 are available online. Don't know if such kits are available for other generator makes/models.

Last edited by sgt1372; 10-29-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Old 10-29-2019, 10:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The inverter generators are quieter and more efficient with fuel and less likely to throw a surge into whatever you're powering with them.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 10-29-2019, 5:32 PM

We got the Predator generator from Harbor Freight and it performs well. I run it once a month and comes to life right away. We have it to power ONLY two items... our refrigerator and our coffee pot! As my wife says, no one needs to be in a pissy mood without coffee during a power outage!!
Old 10-30-2019, 2:50 AM
Veteran Member

Onan sucks. Honda rocks.

I can hear my RV's onan across the campground, some Honda's can't even be heard from the next site over.
Old 10-30-2019, 3:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
Onan sucks. Honda rocks.

I can hear my RV's onan across the campground, some Honda's can't even be heard from the next site over.
If you only judge generators by DB’s then I can see where you’re coming from ~
As a Honda owner, I’d much rather have an indestructible, 1800 rpm, rebuildable
Generator....... I keep an eye out, but low hr, affordable Onans are few and far between in my area.

If you got a cheap 6.5 you’d like to unload, please PM
Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave50 View Post
Fyi I just picked up a champion 2000w from basspro today on sale for $399 they had the 3500w in both gas and dual fuel. I didn't check prices on the bigger ones as I'm just using for cabover camper.
They are the inverter models
Thanks for mentioning the BPS sale. I picked up two of them and Home Depot had the parallel link for a bit over a hundred. I've run one of the Champions to keep lights on and refrigerator cold during blackouts.

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 10-31-2019, 12:40 AM

I'm looking at a Generac propane/ ng genset for the house. My motorhome has a 4k onan. Not quiet, but works well if the solar isn't keeping up. Of course, never fired it up once on the deer hunt last week. The 100w HF solar kit kept the 2- 6v batteries topped off.
Old 10-31-2019, 4:26 PM

I run a Onan 6.5 for running my well pump and pressure system when the grid power is off line. The pump uses too much power from the battery backup system.
It is by far the best long term heavy duty small Gen set there is. 1800 rpm and runs on propane. This one is 10 years old and it hasn't ever let us down. Adjust the valves once a year, same with the oil and filter and the spark plugs.

It has a low oil and no oil pressure switch from the factory and it has never failed. It is big, heavy and completely reliable.

Ours is in the pump house and you can't hear it inside about 200 feet away.

I bought mine used off a service truck with less than 200 hours on it.