Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-02-2013, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidwhitewolf View Post
While I am certainly not a firearms litigator, and it will take other minds than mine to determine whether there is a case here worthy of action backed by CGF or other entities, I am just thinking of the parallels when applying such a letter to the South during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s -- or even more recent voter-registration drives in minority-dominated communities.

If a white Southern Sheriff and AG had sent such "friendly reminder" letters -- watch out new voter, you could be prosecuted for voter fraud if you exercise that right to vote, so y'all be careful -- to every newly registered voter during a minority-dominated voter registration drive, I think most folks would perceive the obvious intimidation -- even if the letters might have been legal on their face.

The intent may be to limit use of firearms in crimes, but if the method chosen to achieve that is to deliberately chill citizens from exercising their right to purchase a firearm -- which, in the current climate, I'm betting is arguably a political act -- there's all sorts of wrong with that. Councilman Garcetti's motion expressly noted that "success" was when letter recipients failed to complete their firearms purchase, after all.

Joe Huffman had some thoughts on this a while back with which I agree.

Ms. Tremblay & co. probably haven't given a second's thought before now to any of this; they're focused on criminals. Tough. They're public servants, after all, and they need to know we're out here. Voicemails from indignant, offended law-abiding gun owners politely detailing their annoyance might be a start.

"Ma'am, I just want to follow the law. And I'm confused. You sent me a letter right after I purchased a firearm, which is my lawful right. And obviously this letter is telling me my local prosecutor knows who I am, even though I'm a law-abiding citizen. That's pretty intimidating, don't you think? And the letter says that if I complete my firearms purchase, I might be subject to prosecution for something. And then I see that the City Council measured the success of these intimidating letters in their pilot program by how many firearms purchases were canceled after these letters were sent out. So is that why you sent me this letter? Is that what you want me to do? Do you want me to go back and cancel my purchase of the firearm I lawfully purchased to defend myself and my family? That's the way some people might read this letter. And I just want to follow the law. So please tell me what your office is telling me I should do in this letter, I'd really like to know."
^^^ This.

Noble
Old 02-02-2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
I suspect that's what they are banking on - people treating as a benign issue that is no harm... slowly but surely they continue to push the envelope.

Personally I am concerned that they have the info - but more importantly, that they sent the letter publicly (mail isn't necessarily private, it can fall into anyone's hands - by mistake or on purpose).
With handgun registration, DOJ info is passed to LE agencies. If you're pulled over driving, the LEO can look up if you own registered handguns or RAWs They do not have this information for long guns, unless they were voluntarily registered with the DOJ. I believe information submitted for background checks is legally required to be deleted within a given time frame after the transaction specifically to prevent defacto registration of long guns. All this changes in 2014. But I believe it currently is a legal violation if the DOJ is storing or passing on long gun transfer records.
Old 02-02-2013, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well we live in Valley Glen, but the purchases were at Guns Direct in Burbank.
Old 02-02-2013, 9:50 PM

yeah! got same letter in the mail on friday. lets hope they do not do what
they did to gun owners in new york and post a list !
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfan View Post
yeah! got same letter in the mail on friday. lets hope they do not do what
they did to gun owners in new york and post a list !
Humboldt county ccw list was printed in the North Coast Journal a few years back.

What they need to do is make it so information gained via FOIA is only usable for personal use, not public. Papers, tv, etc cannot show it. Dumbwad that printed the list should have been able to get in trouble for printing it. They didnt, just pissed off a bunch of folks.

The NCJ release that is.
Old 02-06-2013, 9:37 AM

I wonder if these idiots will be wasting tax payers' money sending letters to car buyers telling them not to use their cars to run over people, pick up prostitutes, go over the speed limits, engage in driveby shootings, street racing, paint them pink and other crimes against humanity?

Last edited by gesundheit; 02-06-2013 at 9:49 AM..
Old 02-06-2013, 4:06 PM

Hi all,
I definitely didn't expect my first post here to be on this topic! I received one of these letters yesterday. Has anyone received a response from Anne Tremblay yet? I'm debating what I can and should do if anything...
Old 02-06-2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxc View Post
Hi all,
I definitely didn't expect my first post here to be on this topic! I received one of these letters yesterday. Has anyone received a response from Anne Tremblay yet? I'm debating what I can and should do if anything...
I spoke with her for 15 minutes the other day. Very nice. Towing the party line that the RAND report shows this letter does some good and that the buyer's info is protected by state and federal laws. She also said the letter is obviously not intended for an educated, concerned citizen like myself.
Old 02-06-2013, 4:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyabrad View Post
I am feeling violated.

I'd send it back. Seriously.
Old 02-06-2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
I spoke with her for 15 minutes the other day. Very nice. Towing the party line that the RAND report shows this letter does some good and that the buyer's info is protected by state and federal laws. She also said the letter is obviously not intended for an educated, concerned citizen like myself.
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the expected response knowing that multiple "educated, concerned citizens" have probably been calling her.
Old 02-06-2013, 5:16 PM

This letter is a waste of money. Remember to vote NO on Measure A on March 5 to raise the L.A. sales tax from 9.0% to 9.5% for the city's general fund.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 AM
The Over Generalizer
CGN Contributor

I DROS'd last week and I still haven't seen a letter and I live in the Devonshire PD area. I noticed the letter has language regarding lease's. I own the residence(ok bank does for now) so I wonder if they they are only sending these letters to renters?
Old 02-07-2013, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTokarev View Post
DROS and background checks are de facto registration.

I wonder if some people who voted for background in the recent poll would like to change there votes once they see how the government likes to use them.
People don't seem to understand that any document with their name on it makes it theirs.
Old 02-07-2013, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
I'd wipe my butt with it after a hearty Indian cuisine dinner and mail it back to them. But in some instances I have been accused of not having a whole lot of tact.
Brother, I would say you are being MORE than reasonably patient with
these idiots.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I hope you asked: if the letter was not meant for you, then why is your time and the taxpayers' money being obviously wasted by sending one to you?
Old 02-07-2013, 4:30 PM

Got mine... Not for a handgun. Will be calling to complain.

Thought the "equality forever" stamp was a nice touch.

Last edited by OneGun; 02-07-2013 at 4:37 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Has anyone from CGF responded to this? It's hard to flip through pages of responses (wish search could limit the list to SGF responderes for instance)?

More importantly, has CGF decided this worth is not worth responding to formally (legally) and we now in the territory of the local PD regarding crime: "we don't respond to thefts since we have far more important crimes overwhelming us at this time" overload?

Every day another reason to move out of this insane state.
Old 02-07-2013, 7:04 PM
Banned

It is interesting to note that this letter comes from Carmen Trutanich, L.A. city attorney, who was elected with the help of none other than the Calguns foundation. Here is the original thread in which Bill asks people here to support Mr. Trutanich: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=122678

To quote Bill: "Nuch is Chuck Michel's (the "T" of TMLLP fame) law partner, so Nuch's beliefs should be pretty obvious to most of us here"

How times changes ...
Old 02-07-2013, 8:44 PM

Default Thank you for your concern

I would simply send her a nice letter thanking her for her concern.
I would then add that her approach as defined in her letter has inspired me to purchase another gun next week.
Thank you Anne, I always wanted an AR-15!

Best Regards
John Q Public
Old 02-07-2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
It is interesting to note that this letter comes from Carmen Trutanich, L.A. city attorney, who was elected with the help of none other than the Calguns foundation. Here is the original thread in which Bill asks people here to support Mr. Trutanich: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=122678

To quote Bill: "Nuch is Chuck Michel's (the "T" of TMLLP fame) law partner, so Nuch's beliefs should be pretty obvious to most of us here"

How times changes ...
I wonder if "Nuch" at least took Bill out to dinner beforehand...
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 AM

Send it back and write thanks for wasting my tax money.
Old 02-08-2013, 1:36 AM
Veteran Member

Boy I am glad I got the hell out of that state.

If we don't get off our hind ends in WA we will end up in the same boat.

Last edited by leitung; 02-08-2013 at 1:50 AM..
Old 02-08-2013, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitung View Post
Boy I am glad I got the hell out of that state.

If we don't get off our hind ends in WA we will end up in the same boat.
Actually what's causing the problem in WA is the continued import of Californians. Oregon has become openly hostile to people with CA license plates. Half the Oregonians would be happy to nuke the Californian enclave of Bend, OR if it would solve their Californian problem.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliedweasel View Post
Received my letter today. So let me get this straight, the Cal DOJ is knowingly sending information on firearms purchases to the LA City Attorney's Office?
More like someone in the City of Los Angeles is unlawfully accessing CLETS/AFS for an illegal purpose. Last time I looked, that was the kind of thing peace officers and dispatchers are criminally prosecuted for.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRangel View Post
I'd send it back. Seriously.

After reading it, with so many REAL assaults on our 2nd Amendment rights and freedoms in this state from our Dem-fascist legislature, I find this of very little, if any, concern. In fact it may dissuade straw purchasers from picking up the weapon, and does help inform folks who are not up on the law.

I'm FAR more concerned with the new anti-gun bill being pushed, including trying to ban the bullet button again, which basically would kill the AR in CA IMHO.
Old 02-08-2013, 1:57 PM

i got one.
Old 02-08-2013, 2:11 PM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
She also said the letter is obviously not intended for an educated, concerned citizen like myself.
Yet that is precisely the profile of over 90% of the people who received the letters.

Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 PM

Send the letter back to his office with a note that he just lost your vote in his bid for re-election as City Attorney.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
After reading it, with so many REAL assaults on our 2nd Amendment rights and freedoms in this state from our Dem-fascist legislature, I find this of very little, if any, concern. In fact it may dissuade straw purchasers from picking up the weapon, and does help inform folks who are not up on the law.

I'm FAR more concerned with the new anti-gun bill being pushed, including trying to ban the bullet button again, which basically would kill the AR in CA IMHO.
I challenge the whole premise of such a letter. Who are you trying to kid? If letters stopped people from committing crime we'd have letter departments not police departments. When we have real crime this is what elected officials are up to.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 AM

Did I read that letter right? It's a crime to transfer a firearm to any person without DROS. It tries to scare you hoping you don't know the law. For a private transfer, you don't need to go through DROS. Well, but it says "with a few exceptions"..., that's to cover their butts in case someone stands up and tells they're wrong. And the term firearm? It doesn't include C&R or any vintage guns.
Old 02-11-2013, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishooter View Post
Did I read that letter right? It's a crime to transfer a firearm to any person without DROS. It tries to scare you hoping you don't know the law. For a private transfer, you don't need to go through DROS. Well, but it says "with a few exceptions"..., that's to cover their butts in case someone stands up and tells they're wrong. And the term firearm? It doesn't include C&R or any vintage guns.
In which case is a DROS not necessary in California?
Old 02-11-2013, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Yet that is precisely the profile of over 90% of the people who received the letters.

I'm sure it's 90% on Calguns but I'm not so sure it's 90% with the general public. there are a lot of clueless gun owners.
Old 02-11-2013, 7:58 AM

WTF is all I can say

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 02-11-2013, 8:17 AM

So true. Scary how they are watching you
[QUOTE=Random_Monkey;10386677]The eye is watching us. [/QUOTE]
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiz_65 View Post
Non-handgun transfer between immediate family member.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Tr...Family_Members
Old 02-11-2013, 2:53 PM

What is the NRA and their LAWYERS, the gun manufacturers, the bullet manufactuers, etc doing to prevent this legislation from proceeding? I would hope with the money being contributed we have some smart Lawyers bringing this up as unconstitutional on several levels not just the 2nd Amendment, this is discriminatory on multiple levels, discriminatory on a PROHIBITED BASIS which is belive is against FEDERAL LAW. If we allow the politicians to create whatever laws they want and then it is up to us to challenge these laws in court, then the system is completely broken.

The liberal law makers are always making law abiding people responsible for the actions of criminals. Criminal steals your car and has a high speed chase, you can be held liable. Now it's guns, we can be held liable for a criminal stealing them and using them? We must carry liability insurance for them? I see many people posting (including myself) but I would like some clear direction as to what action we can take besides writing or phoning representatives, that's a joke really. We have to have significant participation with signatures in an effort to block these actions. Additionally, we need to hit the politicians where it counts, voting them out next time around.

I also want to see Law Enforcement backing the people of this state in our right to own, no new laws need be created, enforce the ones we have. If LE is siding with the politicians, they are siding to limit our freedoms and our personal protection which seems to be in direct conflict with their duty. The issues really revolve around not dealing with criminals effectively. The task force assigned to confiscating guns from known felons that are out of jail is insufficient for the task. Therefore, it is fault of those in charge (politicians) of jeopardizing the law abiding citizens by not having dealt with this a long time ago. If LE is not on our side they are against us. We should be seeking to vote to have their budgets cut significantly. If they can't differentiate between the law abiding and the criminals, I don't see the point in supporting their desire for greater and greater power, it can only be abused.
Old 02-11-2013, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

La doesnt have a gun problem....it has a LAPD and gang member problem
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 02-12-2013, 8:45 AM
CGSSA Associate

Well said, the politicians are being influenced by our over reaching federal govt.

Sent from Droidzilla 1.0
Old 02-12-2013, 1:24 PM

Well I got mine today. Live in West LA. Did the PPT in Culver City on Friday 2/9. Letter dated and mailed Monday 2/11. I feel so very very special...

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984
Old 02-13-2013, 9:03 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiz_65 View Post
Also, DROS is not necessary for transfer of a long gun more than 50 years old between California residents. That's good until January 1st, 2014. I got my first semi-automatic battle rifles (Garands) that way -- paperless, as they should be.

Honorary Board Member, the California Gun Rights Foundation
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.