Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default So, I shot the IDPA Classifier, did pretty good, & now, some questions.

In preparation for the regional match in June I shot the IDPA classifier this morning. I came in midpack Sharp Shooter with a 134.75 (14.5PDs). I have zero misses, and was down 2.50ea. on Stages 1 & 2, and 9.5 on Stage 3.

So my question is, my accuracy is pretty good, and I haul through my transitions (cover to the barrel), but I need to really work on speed as that seems to be my downfall. There were a few other guys there shooting the classifier as well, and one in particular that I was talking to had more PDs in one stage than I had for all three stages yet he came in with a total score of 128.XX. He even missed something like four head shots.

Does anyone have any drills that I can do at the local indoor range or at home that can help me improve my speed?

I also, got to really tip my hat to Mike Dalton, Steve Blankenbiller, and ISI for running some great club matches, and being willing to run people through the classifier monthly even if there is only one, two, or three shooters.

Last edited by RoundEye; 02-02-2013 at 6:28 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

The things that worked best for me to improve speed and accuracy were rack plates, bill drill, and El Presedente. using a timer and keeping track of your times and progress are key.
Old 02-02-2013, 2:57 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
In preparation for the regional match in June I shot the IDPA classifier this morning. I came in midpack Sharp Shooter with a 134.75 (14.5PDs). I have zero misses, and was down 2.50 on Stages 1 & 2, and 9.5 on Stage 3.

So my question is, my accuracy is pretty good, and I haul through my transitions (cover to the barrel), but I need to really work on speed as that seems to be my downfall. There were a few other guys there shooting the classifier as well, and one in particular that I was talking to had more PDs in one stage than I had for all three stages yet he came in with a total score of 128.XX. He even missed something like four head shots.

Does anyone have any drills that I can do at the local indoor range or at home that can help me improve my speed?

I also, got to really tip my hat to Mike Dalton, Steve Blankenbiller, and ISI for running some great club matches, and being willing to run people through the classifier monthly even if there is only one, two, or three shooters.
The jump from Sharpshooter to Expert is pretty much the jump from aimed fire to more instinctual shooting (IMO). Smooth and fast transitions become much more important (between targets and between target zones). In stages 1 and 2, you should not be fixating on your sights that much, since the distances are pretty short.

The problem with practicing at an indoor range is that you normally can't shoot double-taps or controlled pairs, and you can't engage multiple targets. About the only thing you can do is to pseudo-practice single-shot transitions. Start at low ready, then take a shot at center mass when the buzzer goes off. Or index your gun at the target on the neighboring lane, then when the buzzer goes off, transition to your target and fire a single shot center mass. Or start aiming at center mass at your target, then take a shot at the head when the buzzer goes off.

You need a shot timer to do this, but if you have an iPhone, you can get the free Surefire ShotTimer app off of iTunes.

But in all honesty, it is really tough to develop skills without access to a range that will allow you to draw from a holster, rapid fire, and transition between targets.

BTW, see you at Winton in June.
Old 02-02-2013, 3:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

The only way to do better on the classifier is to practice the classifier. Unlike USPSA, which has hundreds of different classifiers, IDPA only has one. Get an airsoft replica of you gun, and setup the stages in your house. Speed is about transition from target to target, that's all. But don't get hung up on shooting a low time classifier, there are many who do that, and get creamed at the matches. Yea Mike and Steve are great guys, back in the day, early 1998, myself (Apple Valley), Mike (Piru) and Bill (Oceanside) were the first 3 IDPA clubs in California.
Old 02-02-2013, 3:43 PM

What I would have done , is used my "tactical" awareness to avoid the stage all together.
That's more tactical and real world.
Old 02-02-2013, 3:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I agree with both Gryff and Highlander51. The IDPA classifier is relatively easy to practice for because it never changes. Just set it up at your range and do it over and over again. Most folks drop a lot of points on Stage 3 or do dumb things like miss easy head shots on Stage 1, that keep them from doing really well.
I think the classifier is a very nice, general test of pistol shooting skills although as Highlander mentioned, the test really comes from your match performance. In general, I don't believe in the classification system and prefer a heads-up ranking like 3-gun. Just show up and shoot and your classification is where you rank in standings. Have fun, dude.
Old 02-02-2013, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Gryff is correct, some stuff is really hard to do without an accommodating range.

However that are things that you can work on:
1. Your draw. If you set your shot timer to a par time, you can see how your speed improves as you work on:
a) Smoothness - there are 4 steps to the draw and I think you should practice them separately until each is spot on and burned into muscle memory. When you put them together, you shouldn't even have to think about it.
b) Alignment - You shouldn't have to adjust the position of your gun as you bring it up in the transition from step 3 to step 4...it should come up in line with your eye.
c) Press out - Breaking the shot as your arms reach extension. You can dry fire this at home to get the timing down and shoot it at any range...from high ready.

2. Magazine changes. This is also a 4 step process...work on
a) keeping your gun high
b) consistent alignment of magazine to the mag well...looking the magazine into the mag well
c) rolling the gun back out to extension

3. Learn to see the aligned sights faster and to allow that perception to cue your trigger press. This gets into the Zen part of shooting and taps into sub-conscious programing. Here is the technique and you don't need a range, ammo or even a target to do it

Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 02-02-2013 at 3:56 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 4:17 PM

Best advise I got on shooting IDPA and specifically the IDPA Classifier was from the Mastering IDPA video by Bob Vogel. He explains what he has done to his Glock 34, strengthened his grip, dry practice, etc. In the latter part he explains, optimizes and shoots the full classifier step by step in a scorching 56 seconds (SSP).

Old 02-02-2013, 5:42 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
The only way to do better on the classifier is to practice the classifier. Unlike USPSA, which has hundreds of different classifiers, IDPA only has one. Get an airsoft replica of you gun, and setup the stages in your house. Speed is about transition from target to target, that's all. But don't get hung up on shooting a low time classifier, there are many who do that, and get creamed at the matches. Yea Mike and Steve are great guys, back in the day, early 1998, myself (Apple Valley), Mike (Piru) and Bill (Oceanside) were the first 3 IDPA clubs in California.

That's exactly what I don't want. I shiver at thought of shooting an expert or master score on the classifer, and then get hosed at regional or state match.

I am actually pretty happy with my time, and think I'm right about where I belong. Im hoping that there'll be some good competition for me in Winton. I guess what I was really asking was the latter part of my post. My accuracy is good, but I just need tips on speeding up target acquisition, transition, and I'm sure reloads (especially tactical ones).

I mean how could someone he had more PDs in one stage than I did during all three stages get a faster time than me?
Old 02-02-2013, 5:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
I mean how could someone he had more PDs in one stage than I did during all three stages get a faster time than me?
Unless they scored the penalties wrong, the other shooter was just flat out faster. That usually happens when a USPSA Grand Master shoots an IDPA classifier....
Old 02-02-2013, 6:15 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Unless they scored the penalties wrong, the other shooter was just flat out faster. That usually happens when a USPSA Grand Master shoots an IDPA classifier....
Maybe, 128 to 134. I guess those extra six second could have been used acquiring targets or sight alignment. At least the coroner would have bee proud of my tight groups. I added my score sheet to the original post for reference.

Last edited by RoundEye; 02-02-2013 at 6:38 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 6:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Forget the indoor range and become an associate member of ISI. The qualifying range is always left set up (so to speak). Every aspect of IDPA is basically covered in the qualifier.....your speed will improve practicing it.
Besides, there is nothing like being the only person out there in the beautiful morning to set your mind right.
Of course, you may have to chase some cows out of your way before shooting

Mike D. & Steve B. are the best!
A tip o' the hat to Mike Thompson too, who makes it all possible for all the gun clubs he lets use his canyon, including the Appleseed Project.

BTW, good job today on the qualifier.
Old 02-02-2013, 6:40 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
A tip o' the hat to Mike Thompson too, who makes it all possible for all the gun clubs he lets use his canyon, including the Appleseed Project.

BTW, good job today on the qualifier.
Thanks. Mike Thompson is a good go for sure. Just don't go speeding through his range, and you'll keep him that way.