Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Default comfortable duty boots

I own a pair of Nike SFB and they have been pretty light and comfortable for the year I've owned them. The only problem being the soles wear out and become pretty slippery on wet surfaces. I'm getting issued some OCP uniforms and need a pair of tan boots now since my current boots are Sage Green. Any suggestions on a pair of comfortable boots? Being an Intelligence guy i wont be running and gunning around the desert so comfort > durability. I'm currently looking at the Altama ExoSpeed. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Well seeing as how the Marine Corps is limited to only boots that are certified and heat embossed with an EGA I'd have to go with Danner RAT boots.
Old 03-03-2014, 5:58 PM

I was a pretty comfy in those Rocky boots, but man did they suck on a wet deck on a ship!( don't know if that's a factor for you)
Old 03-03-2014, 6:09 PM

Magnum. Relatively cheap and comfortable. Not good for heavy duty use, but comfortable for sure, especially with some Dr. Scholl's Gellin' Insoles.

http://www.magnumboots.com
Old 03-03-2014, 8:23 PM

I have found the Belleville Kybers and Sabre 333's very comfortable. They have the same tread pattern and uppers but the toes are different.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 PM

Danner. Danner. Danner. As a former infantry scout, I can tell you that one of the most important pieces of gear you'll ever spend money on is a good pair of comfortable boots. Though you aren't a grunt, you still want to take care of your feet. Buy the best pair of boots you can afford. For my money, from the time I was an FNG -- to years later, during my contracting days -- Danner boots were all I wore. Take care of your feet. Semper Fi! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 PM

First I would like to thank everybody this far who has given me recommendations. I am going to research each type of boot mentioned and will report back which ones seem to fit my style best. Again thanks to all who have helped out thus far
Old 03-05-2014, 2:37 PM

For garrison I use the Rocky C4 Trainers and with the OEM soles are pretty comfy, even on 15+ mile ruck marches. Not much ankle support so I dont use them for ruck marches much, I would always roll my ankles, especially if the 81mm mortar tube gets passed around to me. I have recently put in some blue super feet insoles which are made for standing for long periods of time.
These boots are as light as the Nike SFB. I still use the heavy Belleville 4lb boots for rucks though.

My cold weather boots are the Rocky S2V they are awesome. They have regular ones too. I used these in Germany and works great in slick icy climates. And the traction that goes up the sides of the boots make it a easier to grab on rock when going up hills and mountains. A little stiff where the ankles are so flexibility is limited until they break in.
Old 03-06-2014, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SOCALGUNNER View Post
For garrison I use the Rocky C4 Trainers and with the OEM soles are pretty comfy, even on 15+ mile ruck marches. Not much ankle support so I dont use them for ruck marches much, I would always roll my ankles, especially if the 81mm mortar tube gets passed around to me. I have recently put in some blue super feet insoles which are made for standing for long periods of time.
These boots are as light as the Nike SFB. I still use the heavy Belleville 4lb boots for rucks though.

My cold weather boots are the Rocky S2V they are awesome. They have regular ones too. I used these in Germany and works great in slick icy climates. And the traction that goes up the sides of the boots make it a easier to grab on rock when going up hills and mountains. A little stiff where the ankles are so flexibility is limited until they break in.
1SOCALGUNNER,

Thanks for the review. These are actually 2 of the boots I'm considering. Being an intelligence guy I don't necessarily need the most durable boots however you can never go wrong having a sturdy set. If you could choose between the C4T and the S2V Vented, which would you pick? Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 2:10 PM

Well they both have comfortable soles, the C4T is lighter and the ankle part isn't as stiff is the S2V even before break in. Maybe my S2V need more break in but they are stiff when you walk. Its probably because of the ankle support, but my pair seems to restrict movement of my foot front to back and side to side which is perfect for rucking(so you dont roll ankles) but not comfortable for garrison use.

If you can try on both I would before you decide, it might be just me. I would say the C4T would be perfect for your MOS. But if you have a chance to try on both, do so before you purchase. I dont know any place around that has these two on display(I tried both at Ranger Joes in Georgia, bought the C4T then bought the SV2 later) Wish I waited though because we get a choice of issue and one of them are the S2V.(would of saved me some cash)
Old 03-06-2014, 2:41 PM

Here is a pic of my S2V boots. I only wear these for rigorous training, mountainous environments, sometimes ruck marches(I use the heavy 4 lbs bellevilles) Ive had these for about 3 years or so and this is after I scrubbed them down and threw them in the washing machine- very durable! And they still look new surprisingly. I use a nylon brush with short bristles so it is more stiff and I use armoral aerosol carpet cleaner for cars lol.

I used them in icy climates and they have great traction, and are somewhat water resistant. I've submerged my feet numerous times in mud and water without getting my socks wet.

My C4T are well worn out(surprisingly the soles still have plenty of meat) and am going to get another pair just for garrison use, they are not water resistant but are very comfortable and seems very durable. Ill have pictures later on. The only problem with the C4T is the factory boot laces that come with them break very easily. Dont know if they changed the design, but they are not a solid lace like regular boots. Thats the only thing you have to change when getting the C4T.

Last edited by 1SOCALGUNNER; 05-22-2018 at 12:50 PM..
Old 03-06-2014, 2:48 PM

And here is the inside. Notice the tongue is built into the upper support where as other boots like the C4T are separate. So when lacing up your boots tight with the S2V's, the tongue looks professional and straight where as the other type of tongue 'wrinkles' up if you don't adjust the tongue when tightening your laces.

And I believe they designed it like that for water resistance. The vents on the outside you see on my boots actually have micro screens on the inside so it still acts as a vent but wont let water in at a microscopic level.

Last edited by 1SOCALGUNNER; 05-22-2018 at 12:50 PM..
Old 03-06-2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post
Danner. Danner. Danner. As a former infantry scout, I can tell you that one of the most important pieces of gear you'll ever spend money on is a good pair of comfortable boots. Though you aren't a grunt, you still want to take care of your feet. Buy the best pair of boots you can afford. For my money, from the time I was an FNG -- to years later, during my contracting days -- Danner boots were all I wore. Take care of your feet. Semper Fi! --1911ShooterPhil
I'd agree with Danner, I was Aircrew in Kandahar and my pair of Danners were the most comfortable pair of boots I had. I alternated between those and a pair of Oakley's that I got on sale. Though the danner's were warm and larger than I was used to they definitely helped and when my original pair started to have some issues Danner replaced them with no issues besides a few emails and some pictures.

I am looking into getting a pair of Rocky SV2 and from friends that I've had both in tech school as well as currently they all recommended them as a good pair of boots.
Old 03-06-2014, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Danner
Old 03-07-2014, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeko View Post
Danner
Danner Acadias?
Old 03-08-2014, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

+1 for Rocky C4Ts. Excellent garrison boots.
Old 05-30-2014, 6:54 PM

Garmonts. Best boots I've ever worn. And last a lot longer than the nikes and Rockies I've had
Old 06-08-2014, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Remember, most boots on the market...and sold in Clothing Sales or PX/BX...do NOT conform to military standards, and are not allowed while in duty uniform.

Your research should include all those brands and models that do comply with regs.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 06-22-2014, 12:47 PM

I've never had any issue with the issue Army Combat Boot. My unit was probably 80/20 in favor of issue tan or personal purchase boots versus the OCP chocolate-colored mountain boots.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SOCALGUNNER View Post
And here is the inside. Notice the tongue is built into the upper support where as other boots like the C4T are separate. So when lacing up your boots tight with the S2V's, the tongue looks professional and straight where as the other type of tongue 'wrinkles' up if you don't adjust the tongue when tightening your laces.

And I believe they designed it like that for water resistance. The vents on the outside you see on my boots actually have micro screens on the inside so it still acts as a vent but wont let water in at a microscopic level.
I wear those as well. When I retired in still had a few pair that where issued so I have them in reserve, lol

I like the S2V the best.

Doc

Dark Sky Solutions
DarkSkySolutions.com

07 FFL / Class 02 SOT

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 06-23-2014, 7:45 AM

I would recommend Oakley's, Garments, or Rocky C4 trainers all great boots Oakley's last longer but if your looking for a nice light duty boot the rocky's are your best option.
Old 06-23-2014, 8:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Two big lines of thought-
Heavier boots where you can resole the boot

Lighter boots- almost a tennis shoe that is disposable.

Comfort is going to be based upon build, but mainly on your foot shape.

Red Back makes slip on boots with and without a steel toe.
They are a favorite of the local fire department as wearing them for 12 hours when you are mainly on concrete or asphalt is not an issue.

Determine what your agency requires for color and certification and then go to a PD / FD supply/ uniform shop. EG - galls

Try on a few brands and see what feels right for you.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-23-2014, 8:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh- red back gives an LEO / fire/ ems/ mil discount when you order direct.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 AM

I have narrow feet and wear orthotics. I have tried Danner Acadia's with orthotics but they are too tight around my toes. Does anyone know of any other narrow boots that I could try?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM

rockys sv2 105 great boots
Old 06-24-2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot613 View Post
rockys sv2 105 great boots

+1

Doc
Dark Sky Solutions
Flagstaff, AZ
www.DarkSkySolutions.com

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 06-27-2014, 8:40 PM

The issue army combat boots with the SOPC modification is my favorite. I buy mine second hand and then send it to a sow shop to replace the soles and take out the leather heel and toe cups. Durable as hell and worn by most of my company.
Old 06-27-2014, 8:44 PM

I wore Danners in the military and now wear Danners on the streets. Can't go wrong. The most important piece of equipment is your landing gear. Makes a HUUUUUUUGE difference.