Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 03-08-2013, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

Default Ammo Supply for Competitors

So... who's slowed down for the ammo's sake? I've started shooting nothing but rimfire unless i absolutely have to play centerfire. I've even organized and run regular bi monthly .22 steel matches and have great turnout... seems lots of others are thinking this way.

So, how long till there's no more 3 gun matches. USPSA matches with 1 or 2 stages?

Or all we all getting by on hope that ammo and powder and primers and bullets will come back someday?
Old 03-08-2013, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

We haven't noticed any drop in ppl shooting the matches at Richmond.. we are still getting 70-90 shooters per match. I suspect they are switching out practice for dry fire, and using their ammo for just matches to make things last a bit longer.. or firing calibers that they have an ample supply of..
Old 03-09-2013, 3:13 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Hope and change. A lot of frustration going around for folks looking for rifle ammo and bulk birdshot, specifically. Several new shooters that want to start 3-gun can't do it because they just can't find the ammo.
And don't forget about training classes, especially for the carbine.
Old 03-09-2013, 4:05 AM

Same here, USPSA matches are still going strong at NRG and PRG. Usual turnout of almost 100 a weekend. Looks like most still have components to load.

In fact, blackbulletsinternational.com has 40 and 9 mm Moly coated lead available. I can still load for Production and Limited.

I personally have slowed down on 3gun, I can't find any Birdshot!
Old 03-09-2013, 6:35 AM

Those of you still looking for birdshot, look here: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rio-S...h-All+Products

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 03-11-2013, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
Those of you still looking for birdshot, look here: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rio-S...h-All+Products
You just saved my bacon!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 8:23 AM

This IS what "they" are looking for !
Theoretically, next they make it more and more difficult to purchase and transfer and the more "they" can downgrade you,,,,the more the great citizenry will think you are are bad and the "cause of violence"

If you look back in History,,,,you'll see it has happened before!
Old 03-09-2013, 2:59 PM

I've cut back on practice, but not on matches. I'm down to 11K small rifle primers and 10K small pistol primers. I'm good for maybe two years of matches.

The shotshell situation is kinda crazy, though. Sportsmans Warehouse looks like it was robbed. I only have enough birdshot to get me through maybe May. I'm glad I stocked up on the Flitecontrol Buckshot and low recoil slugs last year.
Old 03-09-2013, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

More dry fire, more .22 (luckily I have a ton of that), more planning ahead for live fire practice instead of just blasting. Where possible selling off some ammo I don't really use/like anymore that I had in the back of the closet and using the proceeds to buy stuff I actually use.

I had conversations at the last match with a couple of different people who either just started casting or are about to.

I think it's rough if you're just starting out but I would hope most regular competitors stocked up earlier rather than later.
Old 03-09-2013, 9:40 PM

For those who havent figured this out yet you need to have 2 years supply at all times no matter what. I dont buy what I need for a few matches I buy as much as I can afford as often as I can afford. If I end up with extra its never really extra in a time of need.

Everyone knew this would happen again if the idiot got back in office. Nobody knew it would happen because of recent events but I prepared simply based on the election. Purchased half what I wanted before election and when the idiot got in the other half the next day. I am sitting on about 3 years worth of stuff right now. My problem was not expecting bullets to be gone so that is my weak link right now. But luckily with some smooth talking I scored 16k more 230grn FMJ. As soon as stock catches up I will buy 10k more and it wont be because I need them right now it will be to have extra.

I hope everyone learned from this and will be doing the same.
Old 03-10-2013, 4:28 AM

only speaking for me but am sure there are other like me.

I only have 2k worth of Zero bullets for Limited. Am not shooting at all, no matches, no practice nothing.

I know its my bad...when this happens, I cant image how a competitor could plan their shooting season in advance?

thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 8:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlestack View Post
I know its my bad...when this happens, I cant image how a competitor could plan their shooting season in advance?

thanks
Like I said, caught once in 2008, but caught twice??? Competitive shooters plan at least 2 seasons ahead. If you are a shooter you are going to burn it all anyway, so why buy a few thousand at a time?
Old 03-10-2013, 7:10 AM

at SDPS, the first two months we dropped down to 85 or so shooters. We figured maybe ammo related. Last match we had 130+, so there goes that idea.
Old 03-10-2013, 9:42 AM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn't even know there was an ammo shortage if every other thread wasn't "Oh no there is no ammo". My local matches shoot less than 125 rounds per match.

Now if you asked has training class attendance dropped off due to ammo then I would whole heartily agree.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
I wouldn't even know there was an ammo shortage if every other thread wasn't "Oh no there is no ammo". My local matches shoot less than 125 rounds per match.

Now if you asked has training class attendance dropped off due to ammo then I would whole heartily agree.
I miss the good old days of being able to design and shoot 125 rounds per stage.
Old 03-10-2013, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTguns View Post
So... who's slowed down for the ammo's sake? I've started shooting nothing but rimfire unless i absolutely have to play centerfire. I've even organized and run regular bi monthly .22 steel matches and have great turnout... seems lots of others are thinking this way.

So, how long till there's no more 3 gun matches. USPSA matches with 1 or 2 stages?

Or all we all getting by on hope that ammo and powder and primers and bullets will come back someday?
Wish i had the time i used to have for live fire practice. Just can't make it out during the week anymore.

Based on how many matches i shoot a month (3 or 4 usually and 1 or 2 sat practices a month) i have enough components to last 4 to 5 years at my current rate of usage. 3 to 4 years if i can start making time to practice during the week.

Yes.....stocked up pretty good over the last year and especially at the end of 2012.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 03-10-2013, 7:53 PM

I think most anybody that reloads and can afford it has a good stock pile. I am good for 2-3 year
Old 03-10-2013, 9:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I haven't done any matches this year yet, if I can't replace it I won't shoot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian777 View Post
...Don't pick either side....
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Me too.
Old 03-11-2013, 7:20 PM

I only get out once a month, so i have about 3 years worth of ammo.. Not to mention my 10k armageddon stash. Hoping primers and powder become more available soon

Anything worth doing...... is worth Overdoing
Old 03-09-2013, 5:23 AM
Banned

No change in pace at NRG. I think most competitive shooters are like me and have 2 years worth of supplies.. The same thing happened in 2008, caught once already, but caught twice???