Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-04-2012, 2:13 PM

Exclamation First time Lady Pistol Shooter

Today, my boyfriend and I decided we were going to rent a pistol; one, for me to see what I am going to be handling once I pick mine up on Friday. Secondly, my boyfriend is undecided about the pistol he wants to buy so we thought this was an all around win. Well... In the first 15 rounds I shot, I was pegged in the forehead twice with a shell, and a hot shell found its way into my shirt. Needless to say my first experience with a pistol was rather unpleasant, in my opinion.
My knowledge of weapons were, the empty shell would be expended to the right of the person firing, not fling up toward their face. Was I holding the pistol incorrectly? Can anyone give me tips on this?
Rather comical to say the least, but also concerning as well. I am utilizing a pistol for self defense purposes, and some leisurely shooting. If there is ever a case in which I need to defend myself, I do not want to have to worry about a shell flying in my face or down my shirt. LOL!!
The weapon we rented was a S&W M&P9.
Old 03-04-2012, 5:20 PM

Sounds like an ejector problem. I have a S&W M&P9 and I don't have that problem. I doubt your new pistol will either.
Old 03-04-2012, 5:31 PM

I shoot a Sig P232. It hasn't ever popped me in the forehead with a spent shell but I do find that if I'm at the indoor range that once in a while they bounce off the seperation wall and find their way in my hair or in my shirt. I also have found them in my coat pockets when I get home. I try to wear shirts that are higher necked since a hot round down my front is not pleasant.

Sounds like the rental needs some fine tuning, maybe thats why it's a rental? I know I take real good care of my equipment but I'm not certain other people are as OCD.

Congrats on your new acquisition.
Old 03-04-2012, 5:59 PM

Wear eye protection, and tighter conformed clothing, I have implants, so leaves a decent opening, sometimes they can get in, also wear eye protection! Think I said that lol. Try renting a diff fire arm, I don't think your new one will be doing that, but as always dress appropriately, long sleeves maybe, and gloves could be a good idea for you.
Old 03-04-2012, 8:26 PM

Thanks for the information and thoughts. Yeah, today was a last minute decision and maybe there is an ejector problem with the weapon we were using. The rounds were bouncing off my boyfriends chest and forehead as well, I just thought it may have been because we were holding it incorrectly. We did everything the instructor told us to do. We definitely wore eye protection and ear protection. It has been years since I shot a weapon so it was a great experience today, minus the hot shells going everywhere!!! Lol! Thanks again for your input! :-)
Old 03-04-2012, 9:56 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

i shot a kahr and hated it for the reasons you described. bought a used colt mark iv officer's .45acp from another calgunner instead. doesn't hit me in the hair or face. however, some woman in another lane was shooting her pistol and her ejects were coming into my lane hitting me! i hate it!

have you shot any revolvers? love them! no ejection problems at all.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-07-2012, 2:23 PM

As someone else posted I also have an S&W M&P 9.... no problem. I have 2 other handguns and that has never been an issue. At our range it is required that protective eyeglasses be worn while shooting.
Old 04-04-2012, 9:25 PM

Sorry, I know I am a little late responding back, but I thought I would let you know my experience with my pistol now.
The M&P9 I rented had to have something seriously wrong with it because my Ruger does not expel shells back at my face... Thank goodness! Since having my pistol which is about 2 months now, I have shot about 400 rounds through it. I have fallen in love with my Ruger. My aim is getting better, and I am feeling more comfortable with handling my weapon.

To answer you movie zombie; no i have never shot a revolver. I am actually sort of nervous to fire a revolver. I was watching a couple fire one at the range (honestly, I have no idea what type of revolver it was) and it looked like it had little recoil, which is nice. My boyfriend wants to get a beretta, but for some reason I get pretty uneasy when I start looking at pistols with hammers. For some reason I feel the semi auto pistols are a slightly more safe than one that is hammer fire. What are your thoughts? Again, I am still pretty new to gun ownership, and handling pistols in general.

Any and all information is great!
Thanks for the great responses!
Old 04-05-2012, 6:05 AM

My wife has shot my 1911, Springfield XD .45, Ruger P-89, Ruger P-345, and rented a Glock 17, Glock 19 and S&W M&P 9 and not encountered the problems you described. Probably a faulty ejector on the one you used. Careful wardrobe selection prevents the "down the front" problem. I have even had that one when wearing a button up shirt- I did dance moves I did not know I had!
Old 04-05-2012, 8:11 AM

LOL, powaybob!

Antheia, revolvers are just plain simple. the newer ones do have safety mechanisms. i am not a fan of the airweight/lightweight revolvers.....i shot one and almost didn't pick up a gun again. they really hurt the hand because there is nothing to absorb the recoil. even men don't like it.

the more metal the better, imo. the trick is finding one that fits your hand well. with the smith and wessons i find i can handle the j-frame and k-frames....the larger frames just are too big for my hand.

see if you can find a friend with revolvers or rent some at a range. the ruger sp-101 is a nice revolver also.

i have never worried about the hammer.....i don't think its an issue unless you're trying to conceal carry.....and even then there are hammerless revolvers that you might like.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 04-05-2012, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlc.norcal View Post
It hasn't ever popped me in the forehead with a spent shell but I do find that if I'm at the indoor range that once in a while they bounce off the seperation wall and find their way in my hair or in my shirt. I try to wear shirts that are higher necked since a hot round down my front is not pleasant.
Same thing happened to me. Let's just say I learned the hard way to wear a higher neckline. I had a burn mark for about two weeks.

The 1911 rental I shot last weekend was expelling towards my right shoulder and I had one or two end up in my hair, but that was it.
Old 04-06-2012, 6:54 AM

Always wear a high neckline! And long sleeves, hat, and glasses! I've had shells come over from a shooter in the next lane and land right in the bra pocket and of course you then start the hot boogy brass dance (hopefully you remember to safe your gun first).

I've learned over the years if there is any opening a shell will find its way into it! Make sure even your pants are tight and no opening in the back to go down back there... That one is the hardest to get out!

Old 04-06-2012, 7:36 AM

yeah, its one thing to get hit by my own shells....but i HATE it when they come from the shooter in the next lane....and that shooter is a woman and seems oblivous to the havoc she is causing other shooters! last time it happened to me was at the los altos range up on skyline.
Quote:
Old 04-06-2012, 9:10 AM

That's great news that your current firearm is working out for you. So which Ruger did you decide on?

As for overcoming your anxiety for semi-auto's with hammers - some of it will be preference and most of it will be learning more about them as time passes. I think anyone will say there will be pluses and minuses to striker fired vs. hammer fired pistols.

Revolvers are just darn simple. I love shooting those! For me it's easy to handle, load, and shoot. The weight distribution is a little different than a semi-auto for me.

As to what I wear - the ranges I go to (more so for the indoor range) require ear & eye protection. The indoor range requires you to have ear & eye protection before you enter the outer set of doors before you even enter the lanes. I always wear long pants (jeans), sneakers (there are a lot of empty cases on the floor - you don't want to slip), and a light jacket that can be zipped up.

I've gotten pegged in the head from the lanes beside me and it's annoying; however I've done to myself usually because my stance off. For me (maybe a little OCD), I'm constantly readjusting to find a comfortable stance/position and thinking about how to improve. I am a relatively new shooter as well so for me I'm wanting to improve every chance I can get.
Old 04-11-2012, 5:40 PM

I decided on the Ruger KSR9. I actually bought it before trying it out, and after my very first experience at the range I was only hoping I wouldn't have the same issue. My first firing experience was honestly last minute. I was not wearing a low cut shirt, however with my arms together holding the pistol, it did create a small pocket (lesson learned :-) ).
I love my Ruger. Like I said, I have fired about 400 rounds through it. Never had any issues except when I tried firing Aluminum cased ammo. BAD idea for sure. The weapon jammed too many times for me, and I will never fire that sort of ammo again. Brass all the way!! Overall, the weapon is easy to clean, I have no problems firing it, and it's pretty accurate. My accuracy has improved substantially since my first time.
I think in the near future I may rent a revolver just to see if I like it. Do you all have any suggestions for a good starter revolver?
Thanks again for your responses, they are great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddogz View Post
That's great news that your current firearm is working out for you. So which Ruger did you decide on?

As for overcoming your anxiety for semi-auto's with hammers - some of it will be preference and most of it will be learning more about them as time passes. I think anyone will say there will be pluses and minuses to striker fired vs. hammer fired pistols.

Revolvers are just darn simple. I love shooting those! For me it's easy to handle, load, and shoot. The weight distribution is a little different than a semi-auto for me.

As to what I wear - the ranges I go to (more so for the indoor range) require ear & eye protection. The indoor range requires you to have ear & eye protection before you enter the outer set of doors before you even enter the lanes. I always wear long pants (jeans), sneakers (there are a lot of empty cases on the floor - you don't want to slip), and a light jacket that can be zipped up.

I've gotten pegged in the head from the lanes beside me and it's annoying; however I've done to myself usually because my stance off. For me (maybe a little OCD), I'm constantly readjusting to find a comfortable stance/position and thinking about how to improve. I am a relatively new shooter as well so for me I'm wanting to improve every chance I can get.
Old 04-11-2012, 5:44 PM

Lol! I agree. There is an outdoor range that I go to and one time I went there I kept getting pegged by another persons expended ammo. Also, one landed in m boyfriends cargo pocket and we didn't find it til we got home. Perhaps they dividers should be made bigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
yeah, its one thing to get hit by my own shells....but i HATE it when they come from the shooter in the next lane....and that shooter is a woman and seems oblivous to the havoc she is causing other shooters! last time it happened to me was at the los altos range up on skyline.
Old 04-11-2012, 7:57 PM
Calguns Addict

A new gun should not eject straight at you but not all manufacturers have quality control that will catch that.

The good news is that ejectors can be tuned.

With that said, some of you ladies need to be more brass tolerant.

If the shooter in the next lane is showering you with brass, ask them to put up a screen or put up one yourself.

Ask yourself this: do you know where your brass is going when it's not hitting you in the face?

People get focused on their target and forget about their brass. You'll probably do it at some point yourself unless you change to revolvers.

And about revolvers, most have a bore line that is much higher than your grip which means you will get more muzzle rise and the gun will want to rotate up in your grip when you fire. Since women seem to like light recoiling handguns, I'm surprised every time I hear of a woman preferring a revolver.

Semi-automatics usually have a much lower bore line and the slide/barrel movement absorbs recoil energy so they actually recoil lighter than a revolver if you hold barrel length and total weight constant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 04-11-2012, 8:07 PM

I go to an indoor range most of the time so the brass is rebounding off the walls and coming back at me. Now with that said I am adjusting my stance to what is comfortable and what will not just get me on the paper but hitting where I'm aiming better.
Old 04-17-2012, 8:17 AM

Unfortunately brass flying around and hitting you is going to just be a part of the range experience you will have to accustom to. Sometimes it's just one of those random events that is no one's fault. other times is clueless fellow shooters that can do something ot stop "showering" you with brass...but then there is that whole clueless issue.

Brass coming back at you from your own handgun can be anything from extractor issue to, how you are holding the pistol to random bad "luck". BUT it should NOT be the norm. if it is..something isn't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antheia View Post
.... for some reason I get pretty uneasy when I start looking at pistols with hammers. For some reason I feel the semi auto pistols are a slightly more safe than one that is hammer fire. What are your thoughts? Again, I am still pretty new to gun ownership, and handling pistols in general.
Had to chuckle a little at this...not a you, but in memory of my early pistol days. I had the complete opposite response. I started out with single action revolvers...took a little getting used to not having a hammer.

as you gain experience you may find you change..but those first experiences can very strongly form your preference. To this day I do not like double action, if a pistol has a double action I just keep moving on. The glock type trigger is as close to double action as I get.