Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-05-2013, 8:03 PM

Default Ccw in Fresno. Fresno City vs Fresno county

These are all universal requirements in California for obtaining a CCW permit and do not vary between City and County level permits. Now let's address the difference between the two permit levels. A county permit is good for the entire county of residence with some reciprocity between other counties in the state, however a city permit is usually only good in the city it's issued with little to no reciprocity even in the county it's issued. For example a Fresno county permit is usually recognized by the surrounding counties law enforcement and is not an issue to have during a routine traffic stop in another county however a Fresno city CCW is only good inside the city limits of Fresno and may not be recognized by even county officials when leaving town. This can be an issue in this semi-metro area where a good number of the more affluent suburbs are actually on county land or in other cities entirely. You could run the very real risk of obtaining a legal CCW for where you work or live but be committing a serious felony simply crossing the street. This is why I usually push people to look at a county permit because it's the closest to a state wide permit available to residents of California.

Read this from this site:

http://highsierragear.blogspot.com/2...other-day.html

Is this true? Thinking about getting a ccw and from this it looks like county is way to go. Newbie here so be nice.
Old 08-05-2013, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

No, it's not true. It's complete bovine feces. It's a statewide license.

You can ask some Fresnites about the specifics of city vs county in terms of which process moves faster; I believe the City of Fresno does issue, unlike many cities, IIRC, but the county may have a quicker process. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 08-05-2013 at 8:59 PM..
Old 08-05-2013, 9:09 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

^^ right ^^

Issuing agencies issue LTC under state Penal Code provisions; it is indeed a statewide license, unless it's the almost-never-issued 'open carry' license, or the issuing agency places limits on the face of the license; no one has yet reported here that an issuing agency has placed a geographical limitation, but I suppose that's possible.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 AM

Both are pretty backlogged right now, but both appear to not be overly picky like certain bay area counties. I know plenty of "average guys/gals(including myself)" who have CCW's from both. Not at the same time, of course lol. Do be advised that if you live in the city the Sheriff's Department wants you to go through the city.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Someone ought to post a comment over there on that High Sierra Gear Junkies blog that debunks that guy's FUD. I'd do it if I could find my attention span.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 08-06-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Old 08-06-2013, 4:32 PM

Thanks for the help. I have heard that the city interviews your neighbors. I don't really like that part. Getting a ccw is my business, not everybody else's. just my two cents.
Old 08-06-2013, 4:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp50 View Post
Thanks for the help. I have heard that the city interviews your neighbors. I don't really like that part. Getting a ccw is my business, not everybody else's. just my two cents.
City permit will be alot faster through, so it depends on how long you wanna wait for a ccw permit. Fresno City is weeks and Fresno County is months
Old 08-06-2013, 4:35 PM

Nothing against my neighbors, we have good relationships, but I like my privacy.
Old 08-06-2013, 5:42 PM

Fresno City doesn't interview your neighbors. They ask for 5 non family references. City has a few different restrictions than county but nothing major. Like City you can have 3 guns on your permit, while County you can have 4. City initial interview is usually within a couple weeks, but the process still takes about 6 months. Ray and Ed are awesome to deal with. I heard County guys are cool to, but process is almost a year.
Old 08-06-2013, 6:18 PM

I talked to them last week and they said they did.
Old 08-06-2013, 8:35 PM

Give Ed with city a call, awesome guy to work with, they are back logged as well but on average get it quicker with city. Renewal is also extremely easy and quick
Old 08-07-2013, 4:46 PM

Everybody that I have talked to says that they do interview your neighbors. Are they wrong? Is there anybody who has gone through the Fresno city ccw process that can verify this??
Old 08-07-2013, 4:57 PM

They did do some door knocking around the neighborhood, but I don't believe they were interviewed about you, I think it was more of a neighborhood check is what it sounded like
Old 08-07-2013, 5:05 PM

Does the county do the same thing?
Old 08-07-2013, 6:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp50 View Post
Everybody that I have talked to says that they do interview your neighbors. Are they wrong? Is there anybody who has gone through the Fresno city ccw process that can verify this??
I would assume with budget cuts and stuff it is very limited knocking on neighbors doors. Why are you so worried about somebody questioning your neighbors? From my experience people that are worried about something have a reason to be worried about it.

Me I won't care if my neighbors were talked to if I had to apply for a CCW, as I have nothing to hide.
Old 08-08-2013, 4:47 AM

I don't have anything to hide. I have two young kids and they play with alot of the neighbor kids. My wife is afraid that their parents will hesitate letting them come over and play if they know. It doesn't really worry me , but gotta keep the wife happy.
Old 08-10-2013, 6:49 PM

Is the test you have to take anything to worry about?
Old 08-10-2013, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

You do a lot of worrying.
Just start the process and get it over with.
Thousands of people go through the CCW permiting process withour incident.

The blogger you quote from in the first post is an idiot and should not be posting such trash.

Bottom line.
1 - CCW in California, whether issued by a city or county, is good state wide no matter how the other counties feel about it. So you can carry in SF or LA and there ain't **** they can do about it.
2 - I would not worry much about the neighbor interviews if they in fact do them. It is unlikely that they disclose to the neighbors the reason for the questioning. You could simply tell them it is a background check for a super secret mission you are working on.

Quote:
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.
Col. Jeff Cooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
It's the flu for crying out loud, just stop.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM

There are only two major differences between FPD and Sheriff's office. Either permit is valid throughout the state of California from San Ysidro to Yreca.

1. FPD allows for 3 firearms at one time vs. Sheriff's allow up to 4.

2. FPD requires that you notify the LEO during traffic violation stops that you have a CCW. This is true for ANY traffic stop ANYWHERE in the state (SF, LA, etc.) Sheriff Mims, on the other hand, takes the stance that a traffic stop is a traffic stop and not a firearm violation; and you are not mandated to notify the officer.
Old 08-14-2013, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Any recent CCW recipients? what's the current time frame for issue in Fresno right now?

I know that the longer I wait to apply the longer it will take, thing is I don't know where I will be in a year, maybe in Socal, maybe outside the state.
Old 08-15-2013, 1:13 PM

Friend of mine got his through the city in May. His first phone call was December 1 of last year. I heard the county is longer than that. Got mine 5 years ago took a month and a half, before the mad rush.
Old 08-15-2013, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

^^ unfortunately I have to go through the county.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
Any recent CCW recipients? what's the current time frame for issue in Fresno right now?

I know that the longer I wait to apply the longer it will take, thing is I don't know where I will be in a year, maybe in Socal, maybe outside the state.
About 6-8 months. YMMV, time estimates on these issues are difficult to peg. The major wait time is setting your first appointment. After your first meeting, the follow-up is quick. You then have to wait on DOJ processing. You can call and see when next available appointment (559) 488-3083. Leave a message and they will call you back. I believe they have brought on a few people to specifically help with CCW applications fairly recently as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidice28 View Post
Fresno City doesn't interview your neighbors. They ask for 5 non family references. City has a few different restrictions than county but nothing major. Like City you can have 3 guns on your permit, while County you can have 4. City initial interview is usually within a couple weeks, but the process still takes about 6 months. Ray and Ed are awesome to deal with. I heard County guys are cool to, but process is almost a year.
My neighbors were interviewed by FPD before my CCW was issued
Old 08-16-2013, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdjack View Post
My neighbors were interviewed by FPD before my CCW was issued
When they interviewed your neighbors did they tell your neighbors exactly why they were being interviewed?
Old 08-17-2013, 7:20 PM

They asked her if she ever seen me mad, and I had submitted an application for a "permit". She just assumed it was for CCW, since she has CCW from FSO which is a different process on its own
Old 08-17-2013, 8:35 PM

Here is my timeline..

Email to Ray 1-4
First meeting 1-5
Letter received for first ok 1-28
Second meeting and paperwork, also fingerprinting 1-31
CCW class finished 2-18
5 References received letter from Ray 3-19
Neighbor received a visit from PD 4-10
Approval letter received 5-8
Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 AM

i applied for my ccw back in march.. spoke with ed since ray way on vacation on aug 1st and he said i have about 60 ppl in front of me.. he said its just a waiting game. that they process about 10-15 a week so hopefully mid september??

i was never told anything about talking to my neighbors.. i dont think its true... if it is oh well. im cool with everyone around here...
Old 08-26-2013, 8:06 AM
CGN Contributor

FPD questioned my cousin's neighbors. Did not mention him, did not mention CCW. They asked if there was anything going on in the neighborhood they should know about, and if there were any characters to keep their eyes on. This was 2 years ago.
Old 09-05-2013, 9:20 AM

When I got mine they did interview neighbors. 3 of them I know of. All are cops so they knew what it was about, but the questions were short and they never mentioned what the permit was for. I just went in today to get an amended license after adding a gun and the place was packed. When I got mine at first it was just Ed. Now there is Ray and 4 admin assistants. They are working their tails off. I was a little paranoid about the neighbor interviews, but its nothing to worry about. As for the first post, its been said already but sheesh, thats some bad FUD. My city license is a state wide license.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 PM

They just interviewed my neighbors yesterday. They didn't tell them what permit it was for, just that it was a permit Me and my wife applied for.
Old 09-07-2013, 2:43 PM

Quote:
They just interviewed my neighbors yesterday. They didn't tell them what permit it was for, just that it was a permit Me and my wife applied for.
I guess now you know they DO interview your neighbors. Getting closer to Nacho time
Old 09-07-2013, 7:41 PM

if you live with in a city limit most county's will want you to go threw the chief of police of that city
Old 09-11-2013, 2:12 PM

Ed Torres is the man at Fresno City for CCW issuance and his words to me were that he didn't care how many you listed. He'd type up and an addendum sheet if necessary.

Quote: