Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBER8400 View Post
I apologize in advance to all my fellow cal gunners, but I gotta post this. I promise this is my first and last comment on this subject there will be no other deviations from the subject.

Hey genius,
The United States in its entirety consists of immigrants (with exception of most African-Americans who were brought here by force.) So your discovery that Glendale is populated with immigrants is what exactly? Oh I get it, since you're "white" you see all other non-whites as immigrants, and then you allege that you are not racist.

Listen man, I lived in Glendale for 16 years and I have yet to see or witness an owner of any Armenian run store to be rude to their customers. So if you were told, "your kind is not welcome here" which I highly doubt, but maybe YOU HAD IT COMING MY FRIEND.

It is true that one cannot deny the existence of corruption at any government level. But in no way this gives right to form an opinion about an entire ethnic group. The language of your post although not explicitly, suggests and implies that all Armenians are corrupt as evidenced by this statement, "anyone running with last name ending ian yan will be hard to remove." Most of City of Bell officials that were involved in corruption and currently on trial were Hispanic. So based on your analogy, anyone with Hispanic last name that runs for office is corrupt. The list can go on an on, the Watergate Heard of it? Corruption at the highest level of our government and who were the participants? Yeah you guessed it............so do apply the same analogy.

Yeah and stop hating on kids who drive BMs and other luxury cars that you can't even dream of. They do it because they can!
The question is can you?
hrmm.. as a resident and white I have note seen this. The owner of the local gas station is pretty awesome and a Calgunner, we have spoken about the shirt. The daughter of the local smoke shop is pretty awesome and doesn't care that I'm a kilt wearing Irish bastard. The owners of the local gun store are calm and professional, but not outwardly friendly. They took great care of me during my last gun purchase. The local pawnshop owner/FFL is awesome.. genuinely friendly and a pretty swell guy. Ok, so none of them can drive.. I feel like something is wrong if I don't almost get run over when crossing the street. But overall, it's a decent town. At least in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2013, 4:43 PM

I'm Armenian. I love guns and so do a lot of my family members and friends. Don't forget that Armenian people are generally politically conservative. They're not a bunch of hippy liberals. Corruption has nothing to do with this ban. This is about politicians trying to get reelected by passing stupid laws that make it look like they are "doing something" about gun violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareback View Post
As mentioned above, Glendale is populated by a high amount of immigrants. I am pretty sure while there are thousands of firearm owners in Glendale, the majority of them are young and too busy driving their m3 100mph down glenoaks, or older owners who are no longer "active". Anyone running for any government position in Glendale who's name ends with "ian" or "yan", will be hard to keep/remove from office. I'm "white", and have been told by a liquor store owner "your kind is not welcome here".

While this is a blow to us Americans who would love to see this show continue, with the ignorance of this community... Not looking good. To those of you who are not familiar with the corruption in Glendale, please look here:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ewfoIPdkYN4jGw
Notice the last names as I mentioned a above. No, I'm not racist, don't take this wrong. But I've dealt with this community for the past 8 years. While some of the residents are great people, a lot are very corrupt.

Thank you Glendale....
Old 03-24-2013, 4:44 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-V View Post
Does the City of Glendale own any Subsidized Housing?
If so there may be direct 2A violations.
Clever - and absolutely correct. The ordinance has an expansive definition of "city property" and also bans possession...therefore prohibiting firearm ownership by anyone living in subsidized housing!

What a fantastic case that would be.

ETA: Also, Glendale likely has senior apartments with age limits that are city-contracted...so what, seniors have to give up their 2A rights to get subsidized senior housing?

As an aside, what gun show attorney allowed a terminate-for-convenience clause in that contract? I'll bet if they had pushed hard they could have negotiated that out.

Last edited by meyerlemony; 03-24-2013 at 4:52 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 4:59 PM
Banned

I don't see the big deal. Move the gun show to a non-city owned venue, hold them 10 times as often and thumb your nose at the City. You are folding like a cheap tent. I'm sure that there is a pro 2A convention center somewhere in Glendale.

BTW - did the NRA and CGF apply any pressure? (sorry, it's my pet peeve)
Old 03-24-2013, 5:53 PM

I will definitely take a closer look at Ara Najarian and see if he's a candidate worthy of our 3 voter household.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
I don't see the big deal. Move the gun show to a non-city owned venue, hold them 10 times as often and thumb your nose at the City. You are folding like a cheap tent. I'm sure that there is a pro 2A convention center somewhere in Glendale.

BTW - did the NRA and CGF apply any pressure? (sorry, it's my pet peeve)
The big deal is, u give 'em an inch they'll take the whole yard.
Old 03-26-2013, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBER8400 View Post
I apologize in advance to all my fellow cal gunners, but I gotta post this. I promise this is my first and last comment on this subject there will be no other deviations from the subject.

Hey genius,
The United States in its entirety consists of immigrants (with exception of most African-Americans who were brought here by force.) So your discovery that Glendale is populated with immigrants is what exactly? Oh I get it, since you're "white" you see all other non-whites as immigrants, and then you allege that you are not racist.

Listen man, I lived in Glendale for 16 years and I have yet to see or witness an owner of any Armenian run store to be rude to their customers. So if you were told, "your kind is not welcome here" which I highly doubt, but maybe YOU HAD IT COMING MY FRIEND.

It is true that one cannot deny the existence of corruption at any government level. But in no way this gives right to form an opinion about an entire ethnic group. The language of your post although not explicitly, suggests and implies that all Armenians are corrupt as evidenced by this statement, "anyone running with last name ending ian yan will be hard to remove." Most of City of Bell officials that were involved in corruption and currently on trial were Hispanic. So based on your analogy, anyone with Hispanic last name that runs for office is corrupt. The list can go on an on, the Watergate Heard of it? Corruption at the highest level of our government and who were the participants? Yeah you guessed it............so do apply the same analogy.

Yeah and stop hating on kids who drive BMs and other luxury cars that you can't even dream of. They do it because they can!
The question is can you?
Hey GENIUS, there is no need to apologize in advance for your reply, it's ok. Tell me how you really feel! I'm happy to hear about your 16 years of Glendale dwelling free from discrimination and racism. So because YOU have not had the experience, does that mean it DOES NOT happen? Seems that is what your implying, correct? Are you basing your experience living in Glendale the "standard" experience kind of like you say I "implied" all Armenians are corrupt because what I've seen and experience ?? Hmm.

And please.. "See all non whites as immigrants" ha! I highly applaud that statement, now that's genius!! Lets see:
My grandmothers name is Domichella Dominica Pesh, Italian, from New York...I wonder how she got there ??
My grandfathers name is Jose Diaz, born in Puerto Rico, lives in Mexico.. Huh.
I find it interesting that someone could jump to conclusions about someone they clearly do not know, and because I use the term "white" loosely, that I consider all other non whites immigrants lol. Ok. I guess having a child with a woman from Central America 12 years ago was just out of "spite" too. Lmfao.

Oh one last thing for you genius: I don't live in Burbank because I can't..but because I can. I dream of classic American muscle cars, not BMW's.. And yes..I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusion View Post
hrmm.. as a resident and white I have note seen this. The owner of the local gas station is pretty awesome and a Calgunner, we have spoken about the shirt. The daughter of the local smoke shop is pretty awesome and doesn't care that I'm a kilt wearing Irish bastard. The owners of the local gun store are calm and professional, but not outwardly friendly. They took great care of me during my last gun purchase. The local pawnshop owner/FFL is awesome.. genuinely friendly and a pretty swell guy. Ok, so none of them can drive.. I feel like something is wrong if I don't almost get run over when crossing the street. But overall, it's a decent town. At least in my opinion.
Not sure if you read my other posts or just the first. But absolutely, there are some great places I too support owned by ..... I stated that with the corruption, and the "people" who RUN Glendale in office a d reside there, the gun show will probably not return.

Also, btw confusion. Being you've now mentioned "non of THEM can drive", you have passed judgement on the whole ethnic group of people for bad driving. That would be no different than saying Asians can't drive, or white men can't jump. You my friend, are guilty of a racist remark. See how easy it happens?...

TURBOELKY

Last edited by TURBOELKY; 03-26-2013 at 3:22 PM.. Reason: Confusion is confused, kimber is a liberal.
Old 03-26-2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareback View Post
Hey GENIUS, there is no need to apologize in advance for your reply, it's ok. Tell me how you really feel! I'm happy to hear about your 16 years of Glendale dwelling free from discrimination and racism. So because YOU have not had the experience, does that mean it DOES NOT happen? Seems that is what your implying, correct? Are you basing your experience living in Glendale the "standard" experience kind of like you say I "implied" all Armenians are corrupt because what I've seen and experience ?? Hmm.

And please.. "See all non whites as immigrants" ha! I highly applaud that statement, now that's genius!! Lets see:
My grandmothers name is Domichella Dominica Pesh, Italian, from New York...I wonder how she got there ??
My grandfathers name is Jose Diaz, born in Puerto Rico, lives in Mexico.. Huh.
I find it interesting that someone could jump to conclusions about someone they clearly do not know, and because I use the term "white" loosely, that I consider all other non whites immigrants lol. Ok. I guess having a child with a woman from Central America 12 years ago was just out of "spite" too. Lmfao.

Oh one last thing for you genius: I don't live in Burbank because I can't..but because I can. I dream of classic American muscle cars, not BMW's.. And yes..I can

Not sure if you read my other posts or just the first. But absolutely, there are some great places I too support owned by ..... I stated that with the corruption, and the "people" who RUN Glendale in office a d reside there, the gun show will probably not return.

Also, btw confusion. Being you've now mentioned "non of THEM can drive", you have passed judgement on the whole ethnic group of people for bad driving. That would be no different than saying Asians can't drive, or white men can't jump. You my friend, are guilty of a racist remark. See how easy it happens?...
You're lucky I keep my promises.
But in a nutshell you don't make sense at all, most of your arguments prove my point.
Old 03-27-2013, 5:53 AM
Veteran Member

This is the height of Armenian stupidity.

The Turks disarmed them, destroyed them, slaughtered them, and you have the oft mentioned Genocide and Armenian Diaspora.

Apparently they didn't learn squat since they continue electing idiots like Manoukian who specifically called out in the Dais that he's seeking help from Feinstein, President Obama and the rest in keeping guns off the streets.

Manoukian would just as soon disarm, which is a shame given his oath during his time in the Air Force to defend the constitution - he took a similar oath as a councilperson.

Many of the Armenians that I went to Roosevelt Junior High, High School and Glendale College were there to protest the gun show. Even the Valedictorian in my class ran an intransigent facebook page.

Shame on them.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
This is the height of Armenian stupidity.

The Turks disarmed them, destroyed them, slaughtered them, and you have the oft mentioned Genocide and Armenian Diaspora.

Apparently they didn't learn squat since they continue electing idiots like Manoukian who specifically called out in the Dais that he's seeking help from Feinstein, President Obama and the rest in keeping guns off the streets.

Manoukian would just as soon disarm, which is a shame given his oath during his time in the Air Force to defend the constitution - he took a similar oath as a councilperson.

Many of the Armenians that I went to Roosevelt Junior High, High School and Glendale College were there to protest the gun show. Even the Valedictorian in my class ran an intransigent facebook page.

Shame on them.
Said so eloquently. Thank you!

TURBOELKY

Last edited by TURBOELKY; 03-27-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Who is running against Laura Friedman ?
Any pro 2 a person ?
Old 03-28-2013, 4:37 PM

Default Election Candidates

Here is the link to all the candiates:

http://www.glendalevotes.org/MeetCan...tyCouncil.aspx

Who should I vote for?

My only consideration is upholding the 2A. Everything else takes a backseat.
Old 03-28-2013, 5:53 PM

Isn't a ban on gun shows inherently unconstitutional as it violates 2A and 1A?
Old 03-28-2013, 6:07 PM

Here's what the NRA said about who to vote for... the guy Herbert Molano has allegedly said he supports the gun show.

Election Action Alert:
City Council Elections Next Week Could Provide an Opportunity to Repeal the Glendale Gun Show Ban

On March 19, the Glendale City Council voted 3-2 to adopt an ordinance presented by the City Attorney to ban the possession and sale of firearms and ammunition on all city property. The purpose and effect of this ordinance is to end the Glendale Gun Show, which has been held in a city-owned facility for decades without incident. The show’s promoter had a contract with the city for five more shows. As of now, those five gun shows are canceled.

While the gun show may have been the main target, this ordinance not only takes away the ability of people to lawfully defend themselves on public property in Glendale, but would also make you a criminal if you simply have ammunition or your child’s BB gun or even toy gun in your vehicle and enter a city-owned parking lot. Worse yet, there is no requirement for public notice.

Glendale residents are already paying for this ordinance. Aside from losing the $50-$60,000 annual revenue Glendale would have received from the gun show were it allowed to continue, city council members who supported the ordinance, including Laura Friedman, brought in an outside attorney to help draft it. Despite the assuredly well-paid “expert attorney” advice residents of Glendale paid for, this ordinance is unconstitutional and, if it is not repealed, the NRA has its attorneys prepared to challenge it. The NRA has been recently awarded reimbursement for its attorneys' fees for defending unlawful ordinances recently – including a checks totaling $1.4 million from the City of Chicago – the stakes are high for the Glendale taxpayer.

The fight to stop this ordinance before it goes to court and to save the Glendale gun show is not over. Freedom-loving residents of Glendale can vote in the upcoming April 2 Glendale city election. The NRA urges you to vote for Ara Najarian, the council member who opposed the gun show ban and vote against Laura Friedman, the council member who supported it.

Once the new City Council is sworn in, Glendale residents can petition the city council to repeal the ill-conceived ordinance and reinstate the contract with the gun show.

Despite being told by Glendale Police Chief Ron De Pompa that no crime was ever traced to the gun show and that having the gun show “is not going to affect public safety in Glendale, it’s simply not,” in response to her own question (watch the video starting at 2:52 minutes), Laura Friedman voted for this ordinance because she did not want Glendale to be seen as sending a message of support for the gun show. Now you can send a message to the new City Council that restricting fundamental rights and breaching contracts with lawful businesses just because they involve legal firearms will not be tolerated by voting for Ara Najarian and voting against Laura Friedman on April 2.

Please forward this alert to your family, friends and fellow gun owners in Glendale and urge them to vote in the April 2 election.
Voter turnout is expected to be low, so every vote is vital.

Finally, in addition to voting for Ara Najarian, send him an e-mail at anajarian@ci.glendale.ca.us thanking him for his vote supporting gun rights. Please e-mail Councilman Dave Weaver at dweaver@ci.glendale.ca.us thanking him for also standing up for the gun show.
Old 03-29-2013, 3:12 PM

By the way, did everyone else get this email from the NRA? I got it but I have a friend who usually gets emails from them and she didn't see this one. Just wanna make sure we get the word out about this.
Old 03-29-2013, 3:20 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

I already voted, thing is you get to vote for three.

So I voted against all known or suspected antis, but after voting for Ara it was all guess work.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 03-29-2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
Isn't a ban on gun shows inherently unconstitutional as it violates 2A and 1A?
IMHO it has nothing to do with 2a b/c it does not infringe on it or at best the argument is too far fetched. It may be violative of 1a as in infringement on freedom of expression/speech. The gun show ban is a time/place/manner restriction. I will expand on this topic once I have free time.
Old 03-29-2013, 6:36 PM

The question about constitutionality is not my question.
It was asked by one of the members, Ferox I believe.
It's a deal.
But I have a better suggestion. I am throwing a challenge, I am going to represent the people who were affected by the gun show ban and you represent the great city of Glendale, sort of like a mock trial.
Now one of the rules I am proposing is it's gotta be strictly via PMs because we don't want to educate the city legislatures and second the mock trial is only based on substantive law - no procedural law ok?
Old 03-29-2013, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrady@Michel&Associates View Post
While I would welcome your "challenge" generally, I cannot engage in a mock trial with you on this subject because I actually represent those affected by the gun show ban (the promoter and the NRA and others) in real life, they are my clients. So I cannot discuss particulars. That being said, if you have any thoughts on the matter I welcome you to share them with me via e-mail or phone. I am always open to consider ideas. So, please feel free to contact me at my office to discuss.

Now, can you and I delete our above posts about each others' post? Do you want me to go first?
There.
you still have 1 more to delete

Well we can argue in general terms. It does not have to involve the actual parties.

Last edited by KIMBER8400; 03-29-2013 at 7:13 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 03-29-2013, 7:25 PM

In general terms, as our office stated in its letters and presentations to the city council concerning this ordinance, the ordinance raises Second and First Amendment issues, as well as Equal Protection and preemption issues. Like I said, if you have any thoughts on any of those (or think I'm missing something) you are free to e-mail or call me to discuss.

I hope this thread can now get back to discussing the election, since, as the above NRA member alert says, the newly elected city council could repeal the ordinance. That would be better than a lawsuit.
Old 03-29-2013, 7:51 PM

pm sent
Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 PM

Default Unofficial Results

http://www.glendalevotes.org/

Candidate Votes
Najarian, Ara James 8,615
Friedman, Laura 6,888
Sinanyan, Zareh J. 6,122
Keuroghelian, Chahe 5,860
Engel, Jr., Sam L. 4,362
Fuentes, Edith 3,545