Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-28-2017, 2:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Orange County Sheriff Hutchins announces retirement in 2018!

Any thoughts on who might replace her and if the department's CCW policy may change as a result?

Mods. please don't move this thread as it relates to CCW issues. Thanks!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 06-28-2017, 6:32 AM

Here is an article someone posted about this from the OC renewal thread
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/27...ans-to-retire/

So it looks like she plans to have Barnes replace her, however the Mayor of Aliso Viejo David Harrington plans to run for that seat as well and is critical of Hutchens. Sounds like he is going to run on issues like the inmate escape and other headline stories about OCSD which people who have zero interest in CCW may find appealing. I mean lets keep in mind it's like 3 million people in OC, and 10 thousand CCW holders, we are a fraction of a fraction. Most people don't even know what CCW is or how it works, all they care about is stuff like inmates escaping, or federal investigations, corruption etc. If the public views Barnes as an extension of the kind of policies that resulted in these situations, they may be more apt to vote in a new Sheriff.

This is the problem with California CCW law is that it's left up to whoever the Sheriff is to determine that policy, so you can go from a shall issue county to a no issue county, just like that. With 10,000 CCWs out there I doubt they would roll back all those permits, and with a whole "unit" tasked with handling CCWs it would be a big change, but they might start interpreting policy 218 in a more black and white way and choose not to renew some permits or revoke some, anything is possible.

Really though I'm just processing what might happen, I have no idea if it would and it's not like I have some insider information, I know just as much as the next guy. What concerns me is that if you are denied a CCW it remains on your "record" and could cause future denials or hangups, at least that is what I have heard. I don't know if that includes having a permit revoked after issuance, but I think if you try to renew and are denied that it would be a problem.

That makes me weigh the risk of trying to renew under a new Sheriff, or the risk of being revoked like happened with Hutchens when she took office, and what implications that has for the future. Hopefully more information will come along soon enough to give a better idea of what to expect.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the input!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:50 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Cynically speaking, I think our best bet is if the incoming sheriff realizes what a cash cow CCW permits are for the department. (ie. 10,000 x100 = 1 MILLION dollars every two years not counting the initial app at $100)
Old 06-28-2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
Cynically speaking, I think our best bet is if the incoming sheriff realizes what a cash cow CCW permits are for the department. (ie. 10,000 x100 = 1 MILLION dollars every two years not counting the initial app at $100)
Cash cow???? Hardly. The county gets something like $25 on a renewal, Ca DOJ gets the rest. I'm guessing the county staff to issue a renewal takes about 5-6 hours to complete the process. $25 divided by 5 hours = $5 per hour. No cash cow here.

Lets hope the new Sheriff continues to issue under the same requirements as the current Sheriff (she's a rock star in my book).
Old 06-29-2017, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

From my post on another thread:

Steve, owner of Artemis Defense, just spoke about that issue with Hutchins going out. He highlighted the size of the CCW-holder pool at ~12,000 and growing, while at the same time mentioning that the number of voters for the O.C. Sheriff position is quite small....disinterest....one time as low as ~2000 votes won the election.

With the limited number of real voters for the OC Sheriff's office, every vote counts for a candidate. He wouldn't want to piss on 12,000 CCW holders.

So, he was not worried.....as long as we VOTE.
Old 07-12-2017, 8:32 AM

I have some inside information about which candidate is pro CCW, it's Barnes. Harrington has been clearly identified by this source who is very reliable to be unfriendly to the cause. Barnes has been identified as being pro CCW and to be working with the community. So spread that around get votes out there for Barnes, cause it might be an uphill battle for him with the OC jail scandal.
Old 07-12-2017, 5:26 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

WOW! Too bad there's not already a whole thread about this!

Oh, wait.....http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1352777

"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 07-12-2017, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsCCW View Post
I have some inside information about which candidate is pro CCW, it's Barnes. Harrington has been clearly identified by this source who is very reliable to be unfriendly to the cause. Barnes has been identified as being pro CCW and to be working with the community. So spread that around get votes out there for Barnes, cause it might be an uphill battle for him with the OC jail scandal.

Good to know....keep us with the updates