Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-26-2014, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Default SSE caliber CCW San Bernardino NO GO. Solution updated PAWN**

I created this thread that if you run into an issue with the multi-caliber and can't get your SSE pistol on your permit here is the solution.

Or

How to avoid this potential issue.

That is all, just a public service announcement.

If you got your SSE pistol with the wrong caliber or multi-caliber on your permit, great ! Again this thread is for those who can't get their SSE on permit because of the caliber issue.

This issue with San Bernardino Sheriff is not just limited to the interviewer, I ran this by with Joyce ( Sheri replaced Joyce) and other staff and the answer was the same. "Must have the correct caliber" Multi-caliber or 9mm/.25 acp does not fly and must be 9mm only or w/e caliber your pistol is.

As of 9/30/2014 Getting SSE on CCW permit.

Here are the proven STEPS! Easy as ABC
Cheapest, fastest, legal way to get it done.

Note: This is a PPT to yourself one way, does Not count towards 1 in 30 rule. Also this pawning is NOT a loop hole, or laundering. Its legal and fixes a stupid problem/policy that shouldn't exist in the first place. You're taking every legal steps to make this work as DOJ refuse to fix the caliber issue in their system with any form filed.

A. Bring your SSE pistol to the pawn shop
Inland Jewelry and Loan
Address: 6542 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92506
Phone (951) 781-4063
Hours:
Monday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tuesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday Closed

B. Ask for Jeff and tell him Kelvin sent you here to have a caliber correction for CCW. Jeff will know exactly what you're talking about. This is a pawn and release. $5 for the loan + $12 pawn fees, and $25 for the Dros. Total $42.

C. Return after 10 days. The DOJ system will now say the correct caliber.

Its been proven and done by me as the cheapest, fastest, most legal way possible and my SSE is on my permit with correct caliber. Read below if you wish to know the whole detail process. Then if you have questions, private message me.

How to avoid this problem or alternative methods

Get rid of the stupid Safety pistol roster ! Repel and donate to Calguns foundations to fight the system http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/The_Safe_Handgun_List

Best Alternative
Find someone selling the pistol (not on roster) you want on calguns or where ever then PPT, no caliber issue. $35 PPT 10 days.

Or

second best
Trade with someone with the same pistol as a swap. $35 PPT. This method solves two people's problem, but the tricky part is finding the person with the same problem and same pistol and make an agreement on the condition of pistols trade etc.

Or

Having someone PPT a firearm to you and having it pass background check and goes through DOJ and is registered to your name is as LEGAL as it gets.

================================================== =========================
Update 9/30/2014

Picked up my Sig P938 at the pawn shop, then went straight to the Sheriff office. Talked to Sheri (she replaced Joyce) handed her the $15 money order, she checked the DOJ system it says 9mm, checked my gun in. Got my new permit printed on the spot. I was shocked how fast it was, world record for Government processing. Only if DMV or DOJ was this quick.

So there you have it guys. Follow my step and you'll get your SSE guns on your permit no problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 9/24/2014

The pawn return was $5 for the loan + $12 for the pawn fees, and $25 for the Dros. So that is a total of $42.

Its a deal ! Ask for Jeff (he's the owner) I gave him a heads up that people will be coming in for correct their SSE caliber issue.

http://www.inlandjewelryandloan.com/
Address: 6542 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92506
Phone951) 781-4063
Hours:

Monday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tuesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday Closed

------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 9/18/2014/ Price update 9/24/14

I pawned my Sig P938 at Riverside to fix the caliber issue. It is currently on 10 day wait. At the moment I got charged $47, but the fee will be fixed when the owner returns from vacation. Correct price $42

The pawning method beats the PPT method.

PPT = $35 to your friend 10 days, then $35 back to you 10 days and hassles your friend. $70, 20 days

Pawning= $42(I will post correct fee when owner returns) to pawn shop and back to you immediately then wait 10 days.
The pawn return was $5 for the loan + $12 for the pawn fees, and $25 for the Dros. So that is a total of $42.

Also pawning doesn't count towards the 30 day rule.
---------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 9/9/2014

Visited Sheriff office, they accepted the letter and said until it shows up as 9mm on their system its a go plus $15 for adding pistol to my permit. I told her to read the letter but she had no interest. At how it looks the caliber will not change as DOJ returned my check and says the form was filed incorrectly. They didn't mention any caliber correction. I wouldn't hold my breathe so I'm doing the pawning method.

---------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 9/6/2014

The solution given by San Bernardino Sheriff DOES NOT WORK, the form does not work. I will be going back to San Bernardino Sheriff to tell them about this problem and see if they can change their ridiculous policy that other County has no problem with.

For those looking for a quick solution, PPT someone with the same pistol.

Mailed in on:
6/26/2014

Check cashed:
7/18/2014

Letter response received:
9/4/2014

---------------------------------
6/26/2014

So I have been reading on various thread on SSE on CCW. I went ahead and gave it a try at San Bernardino County Sheriff with a Sig P938 9mm done through SSE.

"Don't ask don't tell" from other threads did not work.

They print out a paper from DOJ and it shows what caliber your SSE pistol was, mine was listed as Caliber: 8888 (aka multi-caliber). She says its multi-caliber and she will NOT allow it. Must say the specific caliber you intend to use from the DOJ. Which in my case is 9mm and it must say 9mm from DOJ.

So basically if you SSE as a .25acp or anything but the caliber you intend to use its a no go. The only way is either have it SSE as the caliber you want or fill out BOF 4542A and submit $19 to DOJ for caliber correction

So far on the form to correct the caliber I have not tried because the pistol is SSE'd. I will dig up more info on using the form to correct the caliber from the dealer that SSE'd my pistol. I will post update once I get an answer.

Note:
She questioned the caliber its registered in and I did not tell her the pistol was SSE'd. Wouldn't want to open a can of worms with her based on her attitude, I'm sure she will say no its illegal and black list me or something. She did ask if this gun can change caliber. I answered yes. In reality any pistol can change caliber with an insert or swapping a barrel out. She pursued no further and told me it has to be in 9mm the caliber you intend to use to proceed.

All those information provided above is from Det. L.o.g.a.n. incharge of CCW interviews. She is known to be very unfriendly and a vibe and attitude of anti-self defense stance from various calguns member who encountered her including me. During the pistol switch her voice was at a level of yelling and a vibe of "what the hell do you want" when she saw my caliber on the computer she was mumbling my name in frustration. Not sure if its department policy or its her personal policy on the caliber, but I don't have much of a choice. Before you guys ask, I'm dressed professional, no tatts or piercing, well groomed, well mannered and polite and her attitude/vibe was the same with various calguns member.

So save yourself the hassle and SSE it in the caliber you are using. That depends on the dealers SSE kits. or just PPT with a LEO

Last edited by lorax3; 07-09-2015 at 6:43 PM..
Old 06-26-2014, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Very interesting. This is only the 2nd report of an IA denying an SSE gun on CCW permits.
Old 06-26-2014, 4:09 PM

Default San bern

Ahh so you met miss (dep).hendrix.?? She's not bad once you get to know her.. I had to work with her for 9 months on my permit..
Old 06-26-2014, 4:21 PM

That sucks.
....So..... the lesson here for those who want to SSE handguns in SB is spend the extra time and headache of more paperwork, the additional $19 bucks for "proper" paperwork BEFORE going through their office. (If I read that right)
Old 06-26-2014, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedTexan View Post
That sucks.
....So..... the lesson here for those who want to SSE handguns in SB is spend the extra time and headache of more paperwork, the additional $19 bucks for "proper" paperwork BEFORE going through their office. (If I read that right)
The proper paperwork as mentioned I need to double check with my dealer if it would be an issue.
Old 06-26-2014, 4:51 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Another scenario: Say you take your pistol in for a consignment sale. Say maybe you change your mind after a few days. It has to be DROS'd back to you by the FFL. Like PPT, it does not have to be SSE when DROS'd back. It can be DROS'd back to you from FFL in the configuration it is really in. 1 in 30 doesn't matter when it gets DROS'd back. You will have to wait 10 days for DROS to clear before you can pickup pistol.
Old 06-26-2014, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidenpeacemaker View Post
Ahh so you met miss (dep).hendrix.?? She's not bad once you get to know her.. I had to work with her for 9 months on my permit..
Don't think it was Hendrix, it was Logan unless its the same person? Heavy set one?

I've been working with her on my permit for about a year. She made me jump through a ton of hoops, get documents I don't need. Gave me a wrong number so I can't reach her. Once I got her correct number voice mails don't get responded. Made me hand write! a typed 4 page single spaced good cause. Her attitude and response after reading my good cause was "don't live there" "don't drive there" "don't go off roading" "don't go out during those hours" "you should quit your hobby" "don't work there" basically all the reason why I needed CCW. She just hated the idea that law abiding citizens with legitimate reasons can be armed.

For goodness sakes I had a letter from my city PD captain that says I'm an excellent candidate and asked me to join the force, all my neighbors including my neighbor who is a Supreme court JUDGE gave me their blessings to the neighborhood interviewer.

Luckily on the day of the interview she flaked ! and I got another interviewer. Total NIGHT AND DAY. He was super professional and nice. He laughed at all the documents I got and the hoops Logan made me jump through that I didn't need and how she made me hand write my GC. I got approved and interviewed by the GOOD guy that actually wants armed law abiding citizens.

Then I get a call from her sounding pissed that I got approved and gave me my range date with very little information where I had to get more from the forums and asking the front desk.

Just overall she was a Nightmare with a bad attitude, she did everything possible to discourage and stop anyone to get a CCW. Similar experience with other calgunners that had her.

Last edited by kel-tec-innovations; 06-26-2014 at 4:55 PM..
Old 06-26-2014, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky.Hawk View Post
Another scenario: Say you take your pistol in for a consignment sale. Say maybe you change your mind after a few days. It has to be DROS'd back to you by the FFL. Like PPT, it does not have to be SSE when DROS'd back. It can be DROS'd back to you from FFL in the configuration it is really in. 1 in 30 doesn't matter when it gets DROS'd back. You will have to wait 10 days for DROS to clear before you can pickup pistol.
I'll find out what to do with my dealer.

Update: It would be cheaper to update using the form. http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...rms/volreg.pdf $19

Last edited by kel-tec-innovations; 06-26-2014 at 5:28 PM..
Old 06-26-2014, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Update using the form. http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/volreg.pdf

Fill out your information. semi-auto, change the caliber to the one your pistol is using. Acquired date: date you picked up pistol and acquired from dealer

I will send it in and see what happens. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 06-26-2014, 5:32 PM

Smile

Wow what a nightmare. ...I had to do a self registration on my. Sse problem fixed
Old 06-27-2014, 8:55 AM

This is exactly what we talked about in the other thread where SSE was discussed.

Why oh why would an FFL list a .40 (or 9mm, etc..) handgun as 8888 on the DROS? This makes no sense at all to me. Not fussing at you Kel-Tech, just wondering why an FFL would do this.

My SSE pistols were listed as the correct caliber and they are both on my San Bernardino permit.

This ain't rocket science. As I said in the other thread, when they "run the gun" at the station, ALL they care about is that the gun is registered to either you or your spouse, and that the caliber and serial number from the DoJ website match what they are holding in their hand. If it does, it goes on your permit. If those things don't match, then they will say no.

They don't care about barrel length, that it was SSE, PPT, etc. All they care about are items above.

My advice would be to self register that gun with DoJ to correct the multi-caliber issue.

BTW, I don't know deputy Logan. She must be new. That's not Sara, who is very pleasent and helpful.
Old 06-27-2014, 9:58 AM

This sounds like it isn't an issue with SSE, but an issue with a weapon being registered as a multi caliber or different caliber than what you want to use.

Example: I have an XDS 45. It was DROSed in .45, and I have yet to have any issues.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly105 View Post
This sounds like it isn't an issue with SSE, but an issue with a weapon being registered as a multi caliber or different caliber than what you want to use.

Example: I have an XDS 45. It was DROSed in .45, and I have yet to have any issues.
Yes that's the problem. Thank you ^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-27-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel-tec-innovations View Post
Update using the form. http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/volreg.pdf

Fill out your information. semi-auto, change the caliber to the one your pistol is using. Acquired date: date you picked up pistol and acquired from dealer

I will send it in and see what happens. I'll keep you guys updated.
Please do. I live the in the OC so I'm not sure if this would apply but I recently SSE'd a pistol that was in .22 instead of .45. Not sure if the caliber difference would affect me putting it on a CCW permit.

Anyone else in other counties having this same caliber issue?

Last edited by Corbon91; 06-27-2014 at 5:50 PM..
Old 06-27-2014, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly105 View Post

If you read the title "SSE caliber" and if you read the thread.......
Old 06-27-2014, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLguy View Post
This is exactly what we talked about in the other thread where SSE was discussed.

Why oh why would an FFL list a .40 (or 9mm, etc..) handgun as 8888 on the DROS? This makes no sense at all to me. Not fussing at you Kel-Tech, just wondering why an FFL would do this.

My SSE pistols were listed as the correct caliber and they are both on my San Bernardino permit.

This ain't rocket science. As I said in the other thread, when they "run the gun" at the station, ALL they care about is that the gun is registered to either you or your spouse, and that the caliber and serial number from the DoJ website match what they are holding in their hand. If it does, it goes on your permit. If those things don't match, then they will say no.

They don't care about barrel length, that it was SSE, PPT, etc. All they care about are items above.

My advice would be to self register that gun with DoJ to correct the multi-caliber issue.

BTW, I don't know deputy Logan. She must be new. That's not Sara, who is very pleasent and helpful.
Answer to Why:

Some FFL has a dedicated SSE internally threaded barrel so whatever the original caliber it will stay as such. (Ideal but costly)

Some FFL uses a sleeve insert such as .22lr or .25 ACP. (cheaper but buyer gets stuck registered as multi-caliber or wrong caliber)

I can imagine if a FFL that uses the .25acp sleeves and LIES and put for example .45acp on the DROS and they get a surprise audit and the caliber on DROS doesn't match the gun's caliber that's in the safe, their in hot water.

"
My advice would be to self register that gun with DoJ to correct the multi-caliber issue. "

Already did as mentioned above your post. Thanks I will keep you guys posted
Old 06-27-2014, 11:56 PM

Can you use the form to change the category from SS to SA?
Old 06-28-2014, 7:44 AM

My DROS says caliber (s) 25 45.
Old 06-28-2014, 9:03 AM

Quote:
You can also do an OpLaw between spouses to fix this for the same cost. Handgun doesn't have to be registered to you, and if they complain, it is just in your spouse's name and you might hold their purse/manbag and want to be legal (It is really none of their business and no legal issues, but we have to play the game).
Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

Default SSE

Quote:
Answer to Why:

Some FFL has a dedicated SSE internally threaded barrel so whatever the original caliber it will stay as such. (Ideal but costly)

Some FFL uses a sleeve insert such as .22lr or .25 ACP. (cheaper but buyer gets stuck registered as multi-caliber or wrong caliber)
Now I get it. I was wondering why an FFL would list a caliber other than what the guns is. Now I know. Basically, it boils down to their being too cheap to buy the barrels to do it correctly. This is why I do all my SSE's from either Rifle Gear or OC Firearms. They both do it correctly to where the caliber on the DROS is the same as the firearm.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j6p2004 View Post
Can you use the form to change the category from SS to SA?
Yea, the form has the choices of SA, SS, revolver, others (Ie lever action)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2Nova View Post
My DROS says caliber (s) 25 45.
Mine says 25, 9 on my dealers dros, but the Sheriff get's caliber 8888. Since its using a barrel sleeve .25acp inside a 9mm barrel so it makes sense for them to register it was a 25, 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
Now I get it. I was wondering why an FFL would list a caliber other than what the guns is. Now I know. Basically, it boils down to their being too cheap to buy the barrels to do it correctly. This is why I do all my SSE's from either Rifle Gear or OC Firearms. They both do it correctly to where the caliber on the DROS is the same as the firearm.
Cheaper, and the kits are so hot right now their hard to find. The cheaper kit I mentioned works in all guns, while the expensive threaded barrel kits are specific guns. So if they had 20 SSE handguns available the store will need 20 kits (about $100+) and also duplicates since there might be more than one of the same pistol and multiple buyers.

One gun store I know buys the actual pistol, for example Sig P938, sacrifices the barrel to get it threaded so it can be used in customers pistol for SSE. And they have to do that for every pistol they have available for SSE. That's the expensive route.
Old 06-28-2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Yea, the form has the choices of SA, SS, revolver, others (Ie lever action)
After changing from SS to SA, will the gun, originally acquired through SSE, be now acceptable to Ventura County which does not allow SSE guns on the permit?
Old 06-28-2014, 9:48 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
its not because they are too cheap. by using a universal kit, they can SSE just about any .380+ handgun. want an SSE'd Walther PPK, HK P7, or other fixed barrel gun, can't 9do a barrel swap easily on them, have to go with an insert. want something uncommon like an HK Mark23, (spare barrels can cost $4-500, do you want to pay the SSE fee that an FFL would need to cover the costs of such a barrel), Lionhart, HK VP9 (when they come out), you're either going to have to find a dealer willing to sacrifice a gun to get a donor barrel or you'll need to use an insert.

note that most of the dealers doing replacement barrels only offer 2-5 models that they have barrels for, and may have waiting lists of 2-3 months plus for those items, but those that use inserts can do just about anything and may have shorter waittimes due to the universalness of the kits. The fact that some LEA's are balking due the caliber that the handgun was DROSed in is not the fault of the FFL. IF the gun was not currently a 9mm at the moment of DROS, DROSing it as a 9mm would be wrong.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-29-2014, 4:24 PM

Bull hockey. You folks are clueless as to how FFL's and SSE's work. Stop trying to make thosore complicated than it is. Rifle Gear and OC Firearms (and some others) do it correctly so we don't have issues with caliber on DROS. They also do it for only $40 extra for SSE. That is my whole point.

Bottom line? My San Berdoo CCW has an Xdm and XDS on it.
Old 06-29-2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Bull hockey. You folks are clueless as to how FFL's and SSE's work. Stop trying to make thosore complicated than it is. Rifle Gear and OC Firearms (and some others) do it correctly so we don't have issues with caliber on DROS. They also do it for only $40 extra for SSE. That is my whole point.
I recently purchased a Glock 30S from Riflegear and they SSE'd it in 22 not 45. Hope this won't affect my application in OC which is why I'm interested if filling out those forms will work if they deny my 30S on those grounds.
Old 06-29-2014, 8:52 PM

That's the first I've heard of Rifle Gear doing that. Ugh!!! Steve Foster at OC Firearms invests in the proper barrels. A lot of what he sells are CCW hand guns, so he understands this better than most.
He's the one who enlightened me on this.

If your Glock was DROS' d as a .22, I would follow Kel Tech's lead and change it to the proper caliber by mailing in the form he references above.
Old 06-29-2014, 9:15 PM

Yeah I even did the safety demo using a 22 cal snap cap.

I'll fill out the form tonight and send it out in the morning.

Keep your fingers crossed.....
Old 06-29-2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:

Bottom line? My San Berdoo CCW has an Xdm and XDS on it.
yah, I have no clue on how FFLs are doing SSE's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbon91 View Post
I recently purchased a Glock 30S from Riflegear and they SSE'd it in 22 not 45. Hope this won't affect my application in OC which is why I'm interested if filling out those forms will work if they deny my 30S on those grounds.
oops, I guess Riflegear doesn't know how to do it the right way either.

Quote:
That's the first I've heard of Rifle Gear doing that. Ugh!!! Steve Foster at OC Firearms invests in the proper barrels. A lot of what he sells are CCW hand guns, so he understands this better than most.
He's the one who enlightened me on this.

If your Glock was DROS' d as a .22, I would follow Kel Tech's lead and change it to the proper caliber by mailing in the form he references above.
how many different models does OC Firearms offer in SSE? 5, 10, 15? what if you want to SSE a PPK from them, can they do it for you?

both the insert method and replacement barrel option are valid SSE options, its just that some LEAs are balking on insert SSE'd handguns. that doesn't make that the "wrong" way.

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-29-2014, 9:52 PM

It certainly makes it the "wrong way" if you want to legally carry it LOL!!!!

How many different models of SSE firearms does OC Firearms carry?? I have no freakin idea, nor do I care. Why are you even asking me this??

Do you even have a CCW in San Berdoo county? As I've stated many times, this ain't rocket science.

Ugh......
Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
and this wasn't even known until after dealers had been doing insert SSE for months. And since you can apparently do a volreg to "fix" the problem, it isn't that big a deal. many people are using the SSE option to collect many different off-roster handguns, AFAIK CCW being a small percentage of the total.

Quote:
How many different models of SSE firearms does OC Firearms carry?? I have no freakin idea, nor do I care. Why are you even asking me this??
just making the point that there is a reason that some FFLs do insert SSE's, and that is so that they can SSE just about anything. if you want something like a Glock Gen4, XDs, or XDm, just about anybody can a barrel replacement SSE, but if you want something rarer to carry, for instance I know a guy recently SSE'd a HK P7 that he may CCW , you can't do a barrel replacement SSE on that, has to be an insert.

Quote:
Do you even have a CCW in San Berdoo county? As I've stated many times, this ain't rocket science.

Ugh......
I've already answered this before. And it is rocket science if you want something that a local dealer isn't offering with a barrel replacement SSE.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM

Whatever. For those who care, the easy solution to having an SSE hand gun on your San Bernardino permit is sprinkled throughout the thread above.

Quite a few of us have them on ours.

Pretty simple stuff....
Old 06-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Ugh......
I legally carry multiple SSE handguns that are on my CCW and same for my wife that were DROSed through the dual caliber method.

I also know for a fact plenty of people have also got it put on their license recently. The issue isn't how it DROSed it is certain investigators being picky.

I also want to go on record that arguing with ke6guj isn't the smartest choices, he's done more the firearm community than most and is one of the smartest guys on many subjects. Few people on calguns are worth listening to when it comes to these type of things but he is one where you wanna sit and listen.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:41 PM

No one is debating what should be the practice versus what is the practice. This is where you folks get all tied up in knots.

Personally, I prefer to dwell in the land of what works. Also, no one is arguing the issue of IA's being picky. This is reality, and we all must deal with it.

As far as his "creds"..., spare me... Not impressed. At all.....

Last edited by PSLguy; 06-29-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Old 06-29-2014, 10:42 PM

Just checked the dros paper for my shield and it says .22 , 9mm in the caliber category. I'm assuming that will also be considered "multi cal"? Should I submit the paperwork with DOJ and get that .22 taken off?

My CCW app is through LASD. I can see this being an issue in LA also, if we ever get approved.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No one is debating what should be the practice versus what is the practice. This is where you folks get all tied up in knots.

Personally, I prefer to dwell in the land of what works. Also, no one is arguing the issue of IA's being picky. This is reality, and we all must deal with it.

As far as his "creds"..., spare me... Not impressed. At all.....
So, what works?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2014, 10:58 PM

It all boils down to do we San Berdoo residents do SSE carry gun transactions in one step, or two? Is the gun DROS' d in original caliber with proper barrel or not? If not, mail in a form to hopefully fix it.

Buy from Baboosh or another similarly situated FFL, who doesn't have the right barrel and you get a 22 long rifle pistol.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't that what we are actually discussing here??? LOL!!!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings22 View Post
Just checked the dros paper for my shield and it says .22 , 9mm in the caliber category. I'm assuming that will also be considered "multi cal"? Should I submit the paperwork with DOJ and get that .22 taken off?

My CCW app is through LASD. I can see this being an issue in LA also, if we ever get approved.
Yea its multi-caliber. Mine says .25,9. Just submit the paper work and $19 check/money order and you're good to go.

Honestly its not much $$ and saves any hassles or delays from getting your permit.

If you do end up shooting someone, would the modification matter or not?

I'm not a lawyer. Most on the forums says no difference, but that's their personal opinion and never been to court or shot someone and gotten sued. Will I gamble? I'm not much of a gambler nor am I taking some armchair's wizards words.

So its $19, fixes the multi-cal issue so no potential delays if the IA decides to be picky, and potential issues down the road if you shot someone and "anything and everything will be used against you". Will the issuing agency stand up for you if the multi-cal or wrong cal issue arises in court after a shooting? Most likely throw you under the bus.

Its a $19 well spent in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

I basically created this thread that if you run into an issue with the multi-caliber and can't get your SSE pistol on your permit here is the solution.

Or

How to avoid this potential issue.

That is all, just a public service announcement.
Old 06-30-2014, 8:26 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So its $19, fixes the multi-cal issue so no potential delays if the IA decides to be picky...
Its a $19 well spent in my opinion.
Are we sure of this now - do we have confirmation from someone who has been through it from beginning (form submission) to end (listing on CCW)? How long does it take for a vol reg form to be processed by DOJ? Does it also fix the SSE problem that others are having? Thanks,
Old 07-01-2014, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are we sure of this now - do we have confirmation from someone who has been through it from beginning (form submission) to end (listing on CCW)? How long does it take for a vol reg form to be processed by DOJ? Does it also fix the SSE problem that others are having? Thanks,
In the process, I will keep you guys posted on this thread. I was handed the form by San Bernardino Sheriff to fix the issue and I confirmed with my FFL dealer that does SSE transfer, that this will fix it.

Even if you don't have an SSE and say for example you have a Glock 27 .40 cal that you swap a 9mm or .357 sig barrel you would do the same filling out that form and changing it to satisfy San Bernardino Sheriff policies of the caliber having to match its current configuration.

Again I will keep you guys posted.