Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-30-2019, 5:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Ruger Precision or Christensen Precision

I have a RPR 6.5 that I really enjoy shooting out to about 1,000 and would like to add another rifle. Iíve always wanted a 338LM (honestly that cartridge is a little like the old guy wanting the corvette) and being that Iím having so much fun with working my way to longer ranges now is the time.

I am familiar with the RPR as I have onebut the Christensen caught my eye with some Black Friday deals. I like the RPR for the reason there seems to be a good amount of aftermarket behind it and it has a little weight (which for that cartridge I think Iíd appreciate) and very few poor reviews if any.
The Christensen seems nice with Carbon Fiber and sub MOA guarantee but am concerned about lack of weight and aftermarket parts and with it being mite rare than the Ruger a little harder to fix.

The last rifle Iím kind of interested in is the Desert Tech SRS although itís on the higher end of what I want to spend on the rifle, if I go this route, Iím going to wait until next year.

Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2019, 5:47 PM
Veteran Member

I went through the same back and for. I really like the Christensen arms rifle but they have some real quality problems and issues with walking zero. The ruger is a great gun but it is a tank.
Things I really like about the Christensen was the stock and the light weight. Sniper hide has a few thread about the Christensen rifles and the crap that guy have had to go through to get them shooting better.
Old 11-30-2019, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Go with the one that has the best bolt lift and smoothest operation.
Old 11-30-2019, 5:57 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
I went through the same back and for. I really like the Christensen arms rifle but they have some real quality problems and issues with walking zero. The ruger is a great gun but it is a tank.

Things I really like about the Christensen was the stock and the light weight. Sniper hide has a few thread about the Christensen rifles and the crap that guy have had to go through to get them shooting better.

Thank you for the input on the Christensen. In regards to Ruger being a tank, wouldnít that be kind of a good thing since a 338 puts out substantial recoil?

Old 11-30-2019, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

If you go D Tech, I would just go custom IMO.

You get the smoothness of a custom action, you can choose your pick of all the stocks available out there and more importantly, you get the custom barrel, which allows you to pick whatever caliber you want (I went with a 338 edge), barrel length and muzzle brake. You can also do some other things to enhance performance such as throat out the chamber to seat the bullet out more.
Old 11-30-2019, 6:12 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsumoba View Post

You get the smoothness of a custom action, you can choose your pick of all the stocks available out there and more importantly, you get the custom barrel, which allows you to pick whatever caliber you want (I went with a 338 edge), barrel length and muzzle brake. You can also do some other things to enhance performance such as throat out the chamber to seat the bullet out more.

My only hesitance to the desert tech or going custom is how much Iíd shoot the 338 because we all know being in so Cal I have to drive to the Barstow area to stretch its legs. Thatís one of the big reasons I like the lower price point of the Ruger or Christensen. One advantage I think the Desert Tech has is I can buy one scope and potentially use that for a few different calibers instead of building custom then putting a $2,000 scope on that then my next project doing another $2,000 scope, etc....

Old 11-30-2019, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

you guys know, that save for wind, you CAN get your jollies shooting really tiny groups at 100 yards, right? OnTarget (and plenty of other available targets) have 25 bulls on one 8.5x11 sheet of paper. It's no joke to shoot, and if your 338 is supposed to hit 36" plates at a mile, it can hold 25 bulls on an 8" sheet of paper at your local "I didn't drive 4 hours to go shooting" range.

So if that is what is stopping you from getting the rifle you really wanted anyways, go for it! There is no shame in shooting tiny, tiny groups at 100 yards with a 338. With anything for that matter.

If you are a steel shooter, get a spool of 1/4 inch chain and hang it down range and take a few links off the bottom per shot 'till the next firing period. That's fun too.

Lots of ways to get your jollies if you can't always and only shoot extended ranges. If you want a nice 338, get one!
Old 11-30-2019, 9:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would go with the RPR for familiarity. CA doesnt have good reviews. With a big magnum you'd want some weight.

Have you shot anything larger than 6.5/308 SA cartridges? I'd recommend getting something in the 300 PRC, 300WM range and have fun with that 1st. 338LM is no joke. That said, definitely spend your hard earned $$ where you want!

If you go DTech, I would recommend AI AXMC and the Barrett MRAD. Both are available in 338LM, both are Long Action switch barrel platforms similar to the DTech (except not bullpup). AXMC are on sale currently.
Old 11-30-2019, 9:40 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
you guys know, that save for wind, you CAN get your jollies shooting really tiny groups at 100 yards, right? OnTarget (and plenty of other available targets) have 25 bulls on one 8.5x11 sheet of paper. It's no joke to shoot, and if your 338 is supposed to hit 36" plates at a mile, it can hold 25 bulls on an 8" sheet of paper at your local "I didn't drive 4 hours to go shooting" range.

So if that is what is stopping you from getting the rifle you really wanted anyways, go for it! There is no shame in shooting tiny, tiny groups at 100 yards with a 338. With anything for that matter.

If you are a steel shooter, get a spool of 1/4 inch chain and hang it down range and take a few links off the bottom per shot 'till the next firing period. That's fun too.

Lots of ways to get your jollies if you can't always and only shoot extended ranges. If you want a nice 338, get one!

I wasnít so much asking if I should buy one as much as which one I should buy.

Old 11-30-2019, 9:48 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRH View Post
I would go with the RPR for familiarity. CA doesnt have good reviews. With a big magnum you'd want some weight.

Have you shot anything larger than 6.5/308 SA cartridges? I'd recommend getting something in the 300 PRC, 300WM range and have fun with that 1st. 338LM is no joke. That said, definitely spend your hard earned $$ where you want!

If you go DTech, I would recommend AI AXMC and the Barrett MRAD. Both are available in 338LM, both are Long Action switch barrel platforms similar to the DTech (except not bullpup). AXMC are on sale currently.

If I had access to shoot steel at a decent distance somewhat locally Iíd be much more inclined to spend the type of money youíre talking about on a rifle, but for as often as Iíll be able to stretch out the legs of this rifle I just donít want to spend that much but great options though

Old 11-30-2019, 10:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Whichever one you get, you'll probably get lots of privacy at the range because nobody will want to be next to you. The RPR has a huge Barrett-like brake and the Christensen probably clears off benches too.

Note that you can make almost as much noise with just a .300 WinMag and save a lot of money on ammo, especially if you reload.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

For me I was looking in 6.5 CM. I didnít see the need for a 15lbs rifle in 6.5. Now in 338 I would have no problem dragging that pig out to the range. RPR has great support in the aftermarket and would be my choice.
Old 12-01-2019, 4:40 AM

I would imagine that such a heavy recoiling and capable caliber such as the 338LM would prove abusive with a lightweight platform......i would err on securing something a bit more stout.

With respect to the CA rifles, i've read that CA has improved their end quality markedly of late. I however remain somewhat hesitant.

I absolutely appreciate the desire to shoot longer distances where evaluating and compensating for the effects of wind, weather, ballistics and geography interact so profoundly.
Old 12-01-2019, 9:54 AM

416 Barrett. 50 DTC.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstatearmory.com View Post
I wasnít so much asking if I should buy one as much as which one I should buy.

Whichever one has the best bolt feel.

On the other hand, would you be embarrassed shooting at the 100 yard range and shooting 2 inch groups? If you are going to spend on something that will cost almost a dollar in consumables to reload, maybe you'll want to be sure it will shoot tiny groups?

And not only rounds 3-5, but rounds 21-25 too when the barrel is hot, right?
Old 12-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

For anyone who hasn't seen these RPR's in the steel, so to speak, the original short action is considerably different than the magnum actions, other than the stock. The 6.5, 6, .308, etc are not absurdly heavy at 10.7 pounds. The .338, et al are different beasts at 15.2 pounds. Everything is king-sized on them.
Old 12-01-2019, 1:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsumoba View Post

I finally fully agree with Bryan.
Most guys using a 338 are using it for a very specific reason.
Weight on a rifle makes it easier to shoot accurately as recoil bothers everyone's consistency.
When you go custom barrel you start off way ahead of the bell curve.
As mentioned you can spec a reamer with the correct freebore which no factory 338 Lapua has do to the bullets available for it at the time if it's introduction.
I also agree that at the prices people are paying for these folks guns you can add a little coin and get exactly what your after.
Now if you want to dip your toe in the water so to speak and you don't reload those guns make a lot if sense as does a Savage for right at $1000.
If your not hunting in high altitude or competing where you pack the gun for over a mile weight is actually your friend.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 12-06-2019, 11:36 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have the 6.5 Creedmoor and 338 in RPR. Love them both but always wanted to get the CA versions. So last weekend I ordered both. Can't wait to compare RPR against CA. Don't let a little extra recoil get to you. I like the fact that I can shoot both the CA standing.