Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-23-2020, 7:04 PM

Got the SBL back from the smith. Looks real nice. He deburred it, removing all the burrs and sharp edges. He added a "Happy" Trigger that eliminates the trigger flop that these guns have, and worked it down to a very nice, crisp 3 lbs. He machined a follower out of SS to replace the standard plastic one. The ejector was replaced with the Bear Proof model. He found some minor finish issues on the side of the receiver so he polished them out. Very happy with the appearance of his work. I've been using him for many years.

I got some Azoom snap caps in both .44 Spl and .44 Mag. The gun fed both with no issues, except that one of my cats stole one of the .44 caps and hid it from me. I tried the cap first with all Spl and then with all Mag rounds. No issues. Then I alternated the Spl caps with the Mag caps. Again, no issues. Then I tried some random feeds. Still, no issues. I realize that the only real test that matters is how it feed live rounds.

I've got 8-10 boxes of various Spl and Mag ammo from various manufacturers. They're in various loads, types and weights of bullets. I'll wait until I can get to the range to see how they feed and shoot.

I've also got a scope on order, a Viper PST Gen II, 1-4X24. but I'm not sure if I want that, or a red dot on it. My eyes are a bit old for irons. I'm also undecided as to what kind of mount to get, depending on which way I go, scope or red dot. I lean towards the Larue quick release models either way. Anyone with any experience either way, scope or red dot? Suggestions for mounts for either scope or dot?

ETA: Is anyone using a RDS with a mount that allows for the XS Lever Rail ghost ring sight to cowitness?

Last edited by bigger hammer; 01-24-2020 at 7:31 AM..
Old 01-24-2020, 9:54 AM

What gunsmith and where is he located? I wouldn't mind having the edges worked on. Trying to load my 1895 scrapes brass of the shells as they go in.
Old 01-24-2020, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigSauerP226 View Post
What gunsmith and where is he located? I wouldn't mind having the edges worked on. Trying to load my 1895 scrapes brass of the shells as they go in.
Bad news. He was in the Century City area but he's moving his shop to Arizona in a couple of weeks, so he's not taking any new business here. I see some road trips in my future. Always been happy with his work. He used to be the in-house smith for a major gun store in the LA area. His fav is building precision rifles for long range shooting. But he's been maintaining my carry and serious guns, and my toys, for many years.

If you want his info in AZ, let me know.
Old 01-25-2020, 7:07 PM

Oh got ya.

Well maybe I softened up my gun, I just cycled 6 Hornady through it 3 times without hiccup. I spent a little time pushing the loading gate in n out and cycling those snap caps so maybe that loosened it up, I dont know. It seems to be working... I think I need to just keep using and put 100 round through it and see how it is. Only bum thing now is the irons, but hoping my Nikon Spur will work well for it.

Last edited by SigSauerP226; 01-25-2020 at 7:12 PM..
Old 01-26-2020, 7:31 PM

Ranger Point precision makes a replacement loading gate that requires less pressure to load the gun than standard. After you load a few rounds into the magazine, you're fighting both the 'spring' of the loading gate and the "spring" of the magazine. The factory gate alone, can require as much as 5 lbs of pressure to move it aside to press the loaded round into the magazine. And they often have burrs that can cut a finger.

The replacement loading gate only requires about 1.5 lbs. They come in gold, black, and silver and are $42. https://www.rangerpointstore.com/mar...t-easy-smooth/

I have no fiscal connection ...

Last edited by bigger hammer; 01-26-2020 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 01-27-2020, 1:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up on that. It'd be nice not to get pinched by the loading gate and ya easier to load would be a nice bonus.
Old 01-27-2020, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigSauerP226 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on that. It'd be nice not to get pinched by the loading gate and ya easier to load would be a nice bonus.
If you file a little notch in the loading gate spring it will make loading much easier. I've tried the RP unit linked above. Notching the spring works a lot better.

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-27-2020, 3:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Check out post #239 in this thread. It'll give you an idea of what I'm writing about.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...Gate%3A&page=6

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-27-2020, 5:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Check out post #239 in this thread. It'll give you an idea of what I'm writing about.
Quote:
This is what Steve Gunz does to the model 92 loading gates, he probably does it to the model 1894 but I can't find anything about it. I took a triangle file and cut halfway through the spring. This works as good or better than the Ranger point precision and doesn't cost anything.

before

after
That's NOT the correct way to weaken a flat spring as it consolidates most of the flex into one small weak spot.
The right way to weaken a flat spring is to cut a much wider area to less depth.
That leaves a larger area to do the flexing.
Excuse the horrible MS-paint sketch I just did to get the idea across:

The example at the top will fail MUCH faster than the example at the bottom while both will have similar tension results immediately.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 01-27-2020, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
That's NOT the correct way to weaken a flat spring as it consolidates most of the flex into one small weak spot.
The right way to weaken a flat spring is to cut a much wider area to less depth.
That leaves a larger area to do the flexing.
Excuse the horrible MS-paint sketch I just did to get the idea across:

The example at the top will fail MUCH faster than the example at the bottom while both will have similar tension results immediately.
Works okay for me.
Maybe I have the old version of Steve's Gunz video. That's the way he does it.

Happiness is a warm gun

Last edited by golfish; 01-27-2020 at 6:04 PM..
Old 01-27-2020, 6:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Works okay for me.
Just because some guy does it that way or because it happens to work for you does not mean it's the RIGHT way to do it.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 01-27-2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Works okay for me.
Think of it like this, if you file a small spot each and every time the spring (piece of metal) flexes it flexes at that exact same spot. Sort of like breaking a piece of wire by bending it back and forth at the same place until it breaks. If you file a wide area the flex is spread out over a larger area and will hold up much longer. Does this help some?
Old 01-27-2020, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
Think of it like this, if you file a small spot each and every time the spring (piece of metal) flexes it flexes at that exact same spot. Sort of like breaking a piece of wire by bending it back and forth at the same place until it breaks. If you file a wide area the flex is spread out over a larger area and will hold up much longer. Does this help some?
I'll make sure I keep that RP loading gate with me just in case the one I notched gives way

My buddy used to call it "work hardening"

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-28-2020, 7:22 AM

In all fairness to the Steve's Gunz photo, I enlarged it and it appears to be a rounded base cut, not a "V" wedged base cut.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
In all fairness to the Steve's Gunz photo, I enlarged it and it appears to be a rounded base cut, not a "V" wedged base cut.
Yeah, he does it on a bench grinder if I'm not mistaken, he does it more like the diagram above. I had an old video of his from way back, I think I sent it out too members here one too many times and it never found it's way back home.

Happiness is a warm gun