Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-04-2020, 8:17 PM

Picked up the SBL just after new years and dropped it off at my smith's. Forgot to take pix, rats. Pix will have to wait until he's done with it.

Also got eight boxes of various brands/loads of ammo to see what it likes best. Will probably go with Garrett for serious work.
Old 01-16-2020, 7:13 PM

So a little while ago, I posted that my new 1895GBL would not feed or cycle 325gr Leverevolution. I just received some snap caps (A-Zoom) with a rounded nose and it functions flawlessly with those. Has anyone else had a problem with the Leverevolution, or know why it may not be cycling? It looked like the extractor was jamming on the rim... Thinking about ordering some 300gr Barnes Vor-TX to try those if I can't get Hornady to work.
Old 01-16-2020, 7:49 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Has anyone else had a problem with the Leverevolution, or know why it may not be cycling?

My Miroku Browning/Winchester 1892 .44 Magnum had problems with the polymer points of the Hornady stuff; they'd have too much traction and grip on the round forward of them as they came out of the magazine and tried to lift away as the carrier raised. I stopped using them.

Regarding your 1895:

Use of the Barnes will necessitate a throrough removal of the gilded metal copper fouling (from jacketed fare) from your rifle's bore.

The pure copper Barnes will not like the copper/tin gilded metal fouling in the bore, because they're softer and will foul the bore in shorter time.

Use a copper solvent and follow the directions to the letter.

Either that, or go spend some more $ for the 405 gr Remington CoreLokt, "Safe In All Rifles" trapdoor loads (reduced pressure). They are a delightful round to shoot from our 7-lb 1895 carbines.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-16-2020, 9:05 PM

Thank you, I think it's best I start looking at other rounds then. I have only put 20 rounds through mine, just 1 box of the Leverevolution. Trying to stay lead free which is very limiting, since I hope to hunt with it and don't plan on plinking a lot. I figured I'd just solely shoot the rounds I hope to hunt with. Actually almost seem like the prices would be better or similar with the copper stuff... Barnes seems decent, and just watched a guy who shot a bear with the Underwood Xtreme Hunter 305gr +P and he said it went all the way through and obliterated the lungs and made a huge hole in the heart. He seemed very impressed with it. A side note from the video, his hunting partner was having trouble with his Henry and the Leverevolution. Just pushing me further from it.
Would it be best to use copper solvent in the bore using any of these pure copper rounds?

Last edited by SigSauerP226; 01-16-2020 at 9:08 PM..
Old 01-16-2020, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I've read that the soft point Leverevolution rounds have a shorter case that allows for the protruding red point. This might be it.

How do standard RNFP rounds feed?

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-16-2020, 9:42 PM

Unfortunately I haven't tried any, but the AZoom snap caps have a round nose and I loaded the tube with 6 and went through all of them 5 times and it was perfect.
Old 01-17-2020, 6:52 AM

I have a Marlin 1894c, .357 Magnum that I bought new in 2018. Fit and finish is good. I replaced the sight with a Skinner peep sight and higher front sight. I did find it a bit difficult to load until I cut about 6" off the the magazine spring, now it's easy to load.
Old 01-17-2020, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
Marlins are the easiest lever actions to clean and maintain hands down. Nothing even comes close, especially Henry. And I have both. Current Marlins are as good as any mass produced Remington. They come from the same factory. Only thing I don't like about the new Marlins is the billboard serial number on the side of the receiver.
Henry's actually clean the same as Marlin's. Open lever about half way, take lever screw out, remove bolt, Presto, easy cleaning. Oh, as with Marlin's, careful with that ejector. They're pretty simple.
A lot of great and interesting things going on in this thread. One of the better ones.

MLC
Old 01-17-2020, 7:08 AM

In order to get the FT Hornady bullets to work right in my lever guns except my Winchester 95 I had to shorten the cases. Because of this my FT slugs are designated for use only in a single shot, I'm not going to cut back a bunch of cases to accommodate these bullets.
Old 01-17-2020, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigSauerP226 View Post
Thank you, I think it's best I start looking at other rounds then. I have only put 20 rounds through mine, just 1 box of the Leverevolution. Trying to stay lead free which is very limiting, since I hope to hunt with it and don't plan on plinking a lot. I figured I'd just solely shoot the rounds I hope to hunt with. Actually almost seem like the prices would be better or similar with the copper stuff... Barnes seems decent, and just watched a guy who shot a bear with the Underwood Xtreme Hunter 305gr +P and he said it went all the way through and obliterated the lungs and made a huge hole in the heart. He seemed very impressed with it. A side note from the video, his hunting partner was having trouble with his Henry and the Leverevolution. Just pushing me further from it.
Would it be best to use copper solvent in the bore using any of these pure copper rounds?

For the record, there are many folks out there that have had no problem with the Hornady Leverevolution polymer-tipped stuff. I was using their commercially-loaded rounds, so the cartridge LOA was in spec.

If you handload for the Hornady Leverevolution bullet, you must shorten your brass to maintain proper LOA, then use that brass *only* for that bullet.

If you don't yet handload, then I'd say stick with the Barnes' loaded cartridges using their 250 gr and 300 gr TSX FN stuff. Folks like the Barnes' for their stability in flight, the resulting increased accuracy and for their effectiveness.

Yes. A pure copper projectile will work better in a bore fouled with pure copper (as will a jacketed bullet perform better in a bore fouled with gilded metal, as will a lead bullet perform best in a bore fouled with lead). When I say "fouled", I don't mean "dirty".

"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-17-2020, 8:25 AM

Interesting, I hadn't come across the casing info before. I don't handload yet, but I think I may eventually. Definitely thinking reloading will be another project to start up when my current stuff slows down
Old 01-17-2020, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post

If you don't yet handload, then I'd say stick with the Barnes' loaded cartridges using their 250 gr and 300 gr TSX FN stuff. Folks like the Barnes' for their stability in flight, the resulting increased accuracy and for their effectiveness. :
Apples makes a very good point about the TSX bullet; while I don't hunt with a .45-70, I do use them in a few other calibers, and will never go back. With a well placed hit, wild things don't move much further that straight to the ground in most of the cases I've seen personally.
As for accuracy, in .30 caliber, I have found the Barnes 168 TSX to be equivalent to a Sierra Matching of the same weight inside of 300 yards, from a variety of rifles.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:31 AM

Ya my co-worker loves Barnes bullets so I figure it'd be a good choice, and non-lead so I can hunt with it, if I ever do.

Forgot to mention, in the spirit of this thread, my stock iron sights were way off at approx. 25 yards. I was hitting maybe 2 feet low.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:34 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I don't recall having any leverevolution problems in my '78 1895. I have only fired 50 or so rounds though it.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:43 AM

Remember that even though pure copper bullets aren't as heavy as some of their caliber counterparts, there's both a reason for it as well as a happy ending:

Copper isn't as dense as lead, and since we can't have the projectile grow larger (other than by obturation in the bore), the bullet must be made longer for caliber... but a bullet can only be so long to preserve necessary case propellant capacity.

The good news is that copper bullets tend to stay whole in target, retaining 98, 99% their weight, *effectively* acting as a heavier lead or jacketed lead bullet (which can shed weight in target). Add to that their greater inherent stability in flight, increasing accuracy.

So, the good news, the silver (or, rather, copper) lining in any Non Lead hunting law, is that the copper projectile may be seen as an advantage. Almost a win/win, save for their higher cost.

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-17-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
So, the good news, the silver (or, rather, copper) lining in any Non Lead hunting law, is that the copper projectile may be seen as an advantage. Almost a win/win, save for their higher cost.
Interestingly, this technological development that has in many cases been good for those who hunt, has had the exact opposite result that the anti-hunting folks, along with the California legislature, had hoped for. Those anus flies thought they could end hunting in California, or had hoped to, but as the say, "necessity is the mother of invention ".
Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM

Hahaha! A55 flies! indeed. Those are the truly ignorant ones; the ones Cooper used to call "Bambiists". They don't realize that management of game has been a centuries-old tradition. It must be! in order to preserve species.

I can't wait to try some 300-grain copper rnfhp (round-nose, flat-hollow-point) TSX at, get this! a 2100 fps *starting* load. Barnes has published a 2301 fps for max loadings using Vihtavouri N120 from the exact gun, an 18.5" Marlin 1895 GS (and their 250 grain version goes 2378 to 2558 fps, starting and max loads).

Meanwhile, I *plink* using some Speer 400 gr sjfp at the leisurely speeds of +/- 1250 fps from my 7.25 lb GS.

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-17-2020, 12:15 PM

^^^^^Loads like that should be excellent for just about any game, but will kick hard in such a light rifle. If you can do your velocity measurements from a standing position, or prone, you will last a bit longer. Once you get your 100 yard sight-in, after about twenty rounds you'll be calling it good for the day, or then move on with some of your plinking rounds. Be interesting to see how much actual difference in POI you get between the two; it may not be that much that would affect practical shooting exercises.
What sights/optics are you using?
Have you ever tried to single load rounds that may otherwise be too long in OAL for the Marlin to feed?....I hadn't thought about having to trim brass in order to load a particular bullet in those.

Last edited by splithoof; 01-17-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Old 01-17-2020, 12:55 PM

Velocity/gun weight/recoil point taken, and I mention those Barnesí loads only as the high end.

There isnít a critter with teeth and claws native to North America that can remain upright after a .458Ē 300 grain copper slug @ 1500 fps hits Ďem... if I do my part. Load development will be an entertaining endeavor.

I need my own chrony.

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-17-2020, 12:58 PM

Forgot to add that the 1895 doesn’t need to use modified brass for any popular (worthwhile) jacketed or pure copper rnfp.

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-17-2020, 1:08 PM

Quote:
What sights/optics are you using?
Factory buckhorn irons. They’re well sufficient for 50 and 100 yard distances, but as my eyes begin to act their age I think I’ll better enjoy a scout scope for distances greater than that.

If I do the scope and rail, then the irons would become the XS ghost ring and front post. It’s a great setup on my ‘94 SBL.

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-17-2020, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Velocity/gun weight/recoil point taken, and I mention those Barnes’ loads only as the high end.

There isn’t a critter with teeth and claws native to North America that can remain upright after a .458” 300 grain copper slug @ 1500 fps hits ‘em... if I do my part. Load development will be an entertaining endeavor.

I need my own chrony.
Chris, a chrony is beneficial to load development. Ought to give 'em a look.

MLC
Old 01-17-2020, 2:22 PM

I want the Ohler 35P.

It’s only money, right...

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-17-2020, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I want the Ohler 35P.

Itís only money, right...
That will be the only one you'd ever need. Less of course you shoot it!
Old 01-17-2020, 2:33 PM

I was going to let you guys do that.

I’m JOKING! of course.

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-17-2020, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
That will be the only one you'd ever need. Less of course you shoot it!
I use the Lab Radar and have come to like it. I don't have to worry about shooting it, messing with screens, etc.
There is a bit of learning to use it however, and that's where a rimfire weapon really helps. Once I figured it all out, I'll never go back.
Watch for sales at Bruno; they occasionally run good deals.
Old 01-17-2020, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Henry's actually clean the same as Marlin's. Open lever about half way, take lever screw out, remove bolt, Presto, easy cleaning. Oh, as with Marlin's, careful with that ejector. They're pretty simple.
A lot of great and interesting things going on in this thread. One of the better ones.

MLC
This is what I thought. The Henry action is pretty much the same as the Marlin? Is that right?

Hey Tom, did you ever shoot any of those LEVERevolution 45 colt bullets that I gave you?

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-17-2020, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
This is what I thought. The Henry action is pretty much the same as the Marlin? Is that right?

Hey Tom, did you ever shoot any of those LEVERevolution 45 colt bullets that I gave you?
Mark, I haven't. You going to Philipp's tomorrow? I have those ammo boxes and primer pocket reamer for you. And, I can bring those Leverevolution rounds also. Let me know; I'll be there at 9.
Old 01-17-2020, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Mark, I haven't. You going to Philipp's tomorrow? I have those ammo boxes and primer pocket reamer for you. And, I can bring those Leverevolution rounds also. Let me know; I'll be there at 9.
Hey Tom, I'm not sure about tomorrow, too much drama going on here. Brother, that's your box of ammo. It kind of pushed both of us to this caliber. It didn't cost me a penny. SGAmmo sent it by mistake..

Happiness is a warm gun

Last edited by golfish; 01-17-2020 at 7:17 PM..
Old 01-17-2020, 8:09 PM

30-30 336W on sale at Turners for $500. Discount Club members offer.

Nice group, Elk.
Old 01-20-2020, 4:58 PM

Just to jump in. Picked up my 1894c this morning and relieved as far as fit and finish. The stock meets up flush to the reciever and handgaurd looks uniform and nicely fit. Cycles smooth and tried the push left and right pressure test and still cycles fine. Already took off the rear sight and installed a Skinner Express with the standard small peep insert. Take it to the range tomorrow for sight in and function test. But overall happy with the way it came factory fit. Also picked up a 4" S&W 686.

Loads are 158 gr JHP H110 Magnum loads so will see how she likes them.
Old 01-20-2020, 4:59 PM

Duh....chambered in .357 Mag.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:08 PM

Tommy,
If you are using the stock front sight with the Skinner Express, you may need to move the rear to the lowest position and use a 6 o'clock bullseye hold. Let us know how she shoots. You will love that rifle.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:21 PM

Was worried about that. See I like the brass bead sight over the spade sight on Skinners website. I will see what happens tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2020, 2:01 PM

So back from the range and it worked flawlessly. Smooth action everytime, no hang ups. My Skinner Express seems to be all the way to the bottom and found myself low at 50 and able to put the dot right at bullseye at 100. Only issue I found was loading it. Hollow Points might have an issue but after 2 rounds loaded in the tube it would hang and not allow me to push more in effortlessly. I would have to turn the round or push it down along the loading gate for it to push in all the way, was very annoying. But all in all I was ringing steel and cycling perfectly. Definitely eased my concerns I have read about, for now.
Old 01-23-2020, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
So back from the range and it worked flawlessly. Smooth action everytime, no hang ups. My Skinner Express seems to be all the way to the bottom and found myself low at 50 and able to put the dot right at bullseye at 100. Only issue I found was loading it. Hollow Points might have an issue but after 2 rounds loaded in the tube it would hang and not allow me to push more in effortlessly. I would have to turn the round or push it down along the loading gate for it to push in all the way, was very annoying. But all in all I was ringing steel and cycling perfectly. Definitely eased my concerns I have read about, for now.
My front sight was too low, I had to get a taller front sight from Skinner. I also had the same problem with loading, with both hollow points and soft points. I kept it in the safe with a a full magazine to try and make the spring relax, I finally cut several inches off of the magazine spring and now loading is easy-peasy.

Last edited by kayaker; 01-23-2020 at 7:23 AM..
Old 01-23-2020, 11:25 AM

Tommy,
She definitely will prefer Cowboy (RNFP) or FN boolits. I only cut one 357 length of magazine spring. It loads fine.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:29 AM

Apples,
What magnifications are you considering for your scout scope?
Old 01-23-2020, 11:31 AM

I think I'm going to buy some FN .357 and load up some rounds and see how it works out. Problem is I have about 1300 JHP left to load for the revolvers. If I need to have separate types for now until I go through my stock, so be it.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Apples,
What magnifications are you considering for your scout scope?
Leupoldís fixed 2.5 X 28.

.1A - 2A = -1A