Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-29-2019, 8:07 PM

Default Marlin 1895 in 45-70

Apples is killing me with 45-70 talk. So I did some reading. Big mistake. That is an intriguing cartridge. I am partial to straight wall cases (easier for me to reload). Dang, that round is straight walled.

Found a matching 45-70 pistol for you Apples.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_Research_BFR

Touche', big guy. :-) Happy Thanksgiving lever lovers.
Old 11-29-2019, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

It's been around a long time too. Hurts my shoulder just looking at it.
The former owner of The 2AZone had a Colt Gatling gun setup in her/his front office in 45/70. You might of seen it there.

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/...tling-gun.html

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 11-30-2019, 6:21 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I sure do love my Marlin 1895. Everyone should have a 45-70. The only G'vmnt I trust! 😆
Old 11-30-2019, 7:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just picked up a guide gun, But have not shot it yet, feels good.
Old 11-30-2019, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I sure do love my Marlin 1895. Everyone should have a 45-70. The only G'vmnt I trust! 😆
Got my vote. Have been casting bullets and loading for 47-70 since '77.

1. Springfield Trapdoor rifle (original).
2. Remington-Lee rifle (original, bolt action, USN markings).
3. Marlin 1895 (bought new at military Rod and Gun in (the former) West
Germany for $189 in '76. Re-barreled with 22-inch full octagon + full length
magazine tube in 1980.
4. Winchester 1886. (Browning, made by Miroku).
5. Sharps 1874 infantry model (Pedersoli).

On my bucket list--Knock down a hog here in Texas. Would like to use the Sharps, but probably smarter to take the Marlin first time out.
Old 11-30-2019, 8:39 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I had wanted a .45-70 for ten years. Just wasn't ready until recently. It is something I have to handload for, as a box of typical commercial loads costs well over $2/round, but my appreciation for tailoring the cartridge ballistics has been deepened from my experience loading the .41 and .44 Magnums.

But I tell you what! One doesn't need wide-open-throttle loads! 405 grain, Trapdoor (Springfield)-level ballistics took buffalo 125 years ago and folks out there today are shooting multiple bullet weights at multiple speeds in even stronger actions and all are successful at harvesting deer and elk and for defensive use against North American dangerous game.

This beefy, yet still diminutive Marlin 1895 GS (at almost 8 lbs loaded) is terrific using Trapdoor-level loads.

Marlin 1895 GS.jpg

I'm hooked! and am working on a few different loads using both powdercoated lead 405 grainers, jacketed lead 405s and will later build some non-lead hunting round using Barnes' 250 and 300-grain TSX rnfps.

The world is your oyster! with .45-70. Get ye one! or ten as the case may be. I'm already entertaining the acquisition of a second rifle so chambered.

I think by unanimous decision we may elect our esteemed colleague RHT447 to the position of MLC .45-70 Gov't Squad Leader.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A

Last edited by 200Apples; 11-30-2019 at 8:42 AM..
Old 11-30-2019, 8:47 AM

Quote:
DueceMcGurk

Apples is killing me with 45-70 talk. So I did some reading. Big mistake. That is an intriguing cartridge. I am partial to straight wall cases (easier for me to reload). Dang, that round is straight walled.

Glad to be of service, my good man.

Quote:
Found a matching 45-70 pistol for you Apples.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_Research_BFR

Touche', big guy. :-) Happy Thanksgiving lever lovers.

I am inclined to stick with my 3-screw Super Blackhawk, but, thank you. It's enough handgun for me!

A belated best wishes for a good Thanksgiving holiday to you fellers too.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A

Last edited by 200Apples; 11-30-2019 at 8:53 AM..
Old 11-30-2019, 9:47 AM

This interest in the .45-70 is something to look at. Having been directed to Marlin's custom shop, it looks as though that is the avenue I'm considering going if I finally decided on an 1895. For those that have hunted with an 1895 in that caliber, and to those who know the limitations of the rifle in regard to pressure limits and hot reloads (or hi-performance factory ammo), how will it hold up over time, and how does that round compare to some of the established dangerous game cartridges such as .375, .416, .458, etc?......I think some ballistic research is in order.
Being as old as it is, and its use around the world in human conflict and some hunting, if it is such a great thing, why hasn't it been at the head of the line as a dangerous game "stopper", and carried by more PH's?...Is it that most .45-70 rifles are too light, hence unpleasant to use with adequate ammunition, or is the cartridge not really up to the task by the average hunter? I have no doubt of its ability to knock down large moose, bears, and all sorts of other stuff, so all this is something I'm looking into.
Thoughts?
Old 11-30-2019, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A 350 Legend lever gun could be a blast. Got one in the AR format.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
I think by unanimous decision we may elect our esteemed colleague RHT447 to the position of MLC .45-70 Gov't Squad Leader.
Thanks for the kind words. Heh, be careful what you ask for. IF elected, happy to serve.

Here is some interesting history. It's a PDF that you can download--

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...i54partial.pdf
Old 11-30-2019, 12:34 PM

Apples: I highly recommend you start with some smaller cast boolits. Been doing this for a while and my go to boolit for 99% of my 45-70 shooting is RCBS .45-300 RNFPGC. These drop at @325 gr.

I started out at 25 gr of 5744, and worked up to 33 gr of 5744 which yields 1550 fps. I can shoot 40 of these in a morning and not kill myself. This load yields a "Usable Trajectory" out to 200 M for Cowboy Silhouette. It is dead on at 100M, +6 MOA on the sight at 150M, and +12 MOA on the sight at 200M

Keep in mind, my 1895 CB has a Gray-Coil Recoil Reducer in the buttstock and a 1" thick Pachmayer Recoil Pad (see pic) on the backend. My gun weighs 8 lbs 2 oz. unloaded set up like this. It is easy to shoot because it doesn't beat the snot out of you.. Do keep in mind that you definitely know when this one goes off!

RCBS also makes a .45-405 RNFPGC and .45-500 RNFPGC moulds, and all of these moulds have the same nose in front of the crimp groove so they feed in these guns. The only difference in these boolits is the length of the shank of the boolit below the crimp groove.

Loads with 400 to 500 gr boolits get more brutal faster as these guns are very light for the caliber. 1886's start at 9 lbs. and are much better suited to heavy .45-70 loads than the Marlins are. Also note that the pad on that Guide Gun is not a Pachmayer Recoil Pad and is mainly there so you don't scratch whatever you sit the gun on. Those guns are brutal with any kind of a 400+ gr load approaching even 1300 fps. It is just too light.

I highly recommend you start with a 300 gr boolit and work up, Unless you are planning on hunting with the gun for Moose and above, the 300 gr boolit will easily knock down anything in the lower 48.

PCing is definitely the way to go on Cast Boolits.

Last pic is of a Really Nice Original 1895 redone by Turnbull. Sold for $35K!!!

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464037.JPG (57.1 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg Para LDA 1640 367.jpg (63.6 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg TWS 1895 Detail 2.jpg (56.3 KB, 332 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-30-2019 at 12:47 PM..
Old 11-30-2019, 12:40 PM

I second RHT447's nomination for 45-70 Presidency. Very nice arsenal of rifles in that caliber. Also he is inclusive -- vintage/modern, American, Japanese, Italian manufacture, lever/bolt.

I am trying to be a two powder reloader. Unique for plinking rifle loads. Dang, there is a classic 45-70 Unique load for both the 300 and 405 bullets. How can I escape owning this caliber in a lever? Trapped like a rat LOL.
Old 11-30-2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Apples: I highly recommend you start with some smaller cast boolits. Been doing this for a while and my go to boolit for 99% of my 45-70 shooting is RCBS .45-300 RNFPGC. These drop at @325 gr.

I started out at 25 gr of 5744, and worked up to 33 gr of 5744 which yields 1550 fps. I can shoot 40 of these in a morning and not kill myself. This load yields a "Usable Trajectory" out to 200 M for Cowboy Silhouette. It is dead on at 100M, +6 MOA on the sight at 150M, and +12 MOA on the sight at 200M

Keep in mind, my 1895 CB has a Gray-Coil Recoil Reducer in the buttstock and a 1" thick Pachmayer Recoil Pad (see pic) on the backend. My gun weighs 8 lbs 2 oz. unloaded set up like this. It is easy to shoot because it doesn't beat the snot out of you.. Do keep in mind that you definitely know when this one goes off!

RCBS also makes a .45-405 RNFPGC and .45-500 RNFPGC moulds, and all of these moulds have the same nose in front of the crimp groove so they feed in these guns. The only difference in these boolits is the length of the shank of the boolit below the crimp groove.

Loads with 400 to 500 gr boolits get more brutal faster as these guns are very light for the caliber. 1886's start at 9 lbs. and are much better suited to heavy .45-70 loads than the Marlins are. Also note that the pad on that Guide Gun is not a Pachmayer Recoil Pad and is mainly there so you don't scratch whatever you sit the gun on. Those guns are brutal with any kind of a 400+ gr load approaching even 1300 fps. It is just too light.

I highly recommend you start with a 300 gr boolit and work up, Unless you are planning on hunting with the gun for Moose and above, the 300 gr boolit will easily knock down anything in the lower 48.

PCing is definitely the way to go on Cast Boolits.

Last pic is of a Really Nice Original 1895 redone by Turnbull. Sold for $35K!!!

Randy

Thanks for the mold info I've been studying the RCBS molds for my 45-70 and you told me exactly what I thought it would be.
Old 11-30-2019, 1:33 PM

lol, I didn't say "Presidency", I said "Squad Leader". Heehaw.

That said, I nominate Randy for vice chair.

THAT said, Randy, thank you for the advice. It is noted. However, rest assured my *lighter" bullet loads will be the aggressive loads, and using Barnes pure coppers.

I'm a heavy bullet for caliber kinda guy, and yet I'm stickin with 400-405s rather than moving up to the *OG* bullet weight of 500 grains.

I can load all kinds of soft, sweet loads using Unique, 2400, etc... even Trail Boss which I don't stock. Too, I've already landed on some neat 3031 and 5744 loads. Trouble is, one can only push a pc'd bullet so fast, like plated.

Yes, I'm new at the .45-70, but I know what I want and I want to shoot 405s in X-15 arcs. I wanna lob those little lead pumkins over the rainbow. Yes I do.

I'm exaggerating, but, there you go.

I will try the lighter grain weight slugs in the near future. Don't worry.

.1A - 2A = -1A

Last edited by 200Apples; 11-30-2019 at 1:35 PM..
Old 11-30-2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Jimi Jah

A 350 Legend lever gun could be a blast. Got one in the AR format.

Probably would be, but this is a .45-70 thread.

I can appreciate what the 350 Legend is, because I also love to shoot my .357 Marlin '94 and Rossi 92.

The 350 Legend is to the .357 Magnum what the .444 Marlin is to the .44 Magnum.

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 11-30-2019, 1:41 PM

Those RCBS moulds are made specifically for Leverguns. The nose profile will feed properly in any of them, IE; Winchester 1886 or Marlin 1895's.

They tend to drop a little small using WW material like .457 but PCing them will bring them up to .459-.460 where they need to be. All the Marlins I have measured have been right on .458 groove dia.

My best group with that gun and the 33 gr load is 1.75" at 100 yards off a bench. and with the gas checks on there is no leading whatsoever.

We always get someone over at Castboolits, who wants to shoot 500 gr boolits out of their Guide Gun Launching a 500 gr boolit out of a 7 lb. Guide Gun at any velocity above 1000 fps is shear madness. I generally point out that they will only do it once.

The original 405 gr loads for the Trap Door Carbines were concocted because the recoil from the Standard Trap Door 500 gr loads in the Carbines was too brutal for the majority of Horse Soldiers to shoot well with the lighter guns.. The original designation was .45-70-500,,, it got reduced to .45-55-405 when the charge got reduced to 55gr of Black Powder. Trap Door Carbines are about 9.5 lbs not 7 lbs. and the extra 2.5 lbs makes a huge difference in the recoil.

I run into this same thing when talking about shooting shotgun slugs, all of which are 400-550 gr +. 1300 fps not so bad,, 1600 fps in a 7 lb Mossberg = Snot Flying !

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-30-2019 at 1:51 PM..
Old 11-30-2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

We always get someone over at Castboolits, who wants to shoot 500 gr boolits out of their Guide Gun Launching a 500 gr boolit out of a 7 lb. Guide Gun at any velocity above 1000 fps is shear madness. I generally point out that they will only do it once.

I run into this same thing when talking about shooting shotgun slugs, all of which are 400-550 gr +. 1300 fps not so bad,, 1600 fps in a 7 lb Mossberg = Snot Flying !
Randy
After reading up a bit more on the .45-70 and it's history, and then looking at ballistic numbers of other "stoppers", I'm starting to realize that if you want to take full advantage of its potential, a lever-action rifle that is comparably very light in weight to a full-sized Mauser based action is going to kick like an angry mule, resulting in many hunters practicing less of the very critical field shooting techniques that are very important, especially when going after "dangerous" game. For those that actually load those 500 grain cast bullets, how many rounds do you honestly shoot in a serious practice session?....A box of twenty would barely get you through a few school drills, so there is that consideration.
Another question I have is the reliability and durability of the 1895, particularly its extraction & ejection; are they any less reliable than my Mauser-based bolt rifle with its huge claw extractor and fixed ejector?...Just some Q's for those that use them for serious stuff.
For everything else in North America, the 1895 with less severe loads looks to be a good choice.
Old 11-30-2019, 5:42 PM

How did this post turn to water buffalo stopping splithoof? 45/70 is a great round as is 450 marlin .
Old 11-30-2019, 6:51 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT447 View Post
Got my vote. Have been casting bullets and loading for 47-70 since '77.

3. Marlin 1895 (bought new at military Rod and Gun in (the former) West
Germany for $189 in '76. Re-barreled with 22-inch full octagon + full length
magazine tube in 1980.
Please tell us the story and show us all available pictures.
Old 11-30-2019, 7:03 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
...how does that round compare to some of the established dangerous game cartridges such as .375, .416, .458, etc?...

why hasn't it been at the head of the line as a dangerous game "stopper", and carried by more PH's?...
I remember reading somewhat recently when I got in to the caliber, that you can almost approach 458 WinMag power with it, in some actions, but it's pretty dang borderline. For high power stuff, I prefer to have an over-capable setup that is tuned back and still within safe specs, than a barely-capable over acceptable safety margin specs.
Also, I believe, in a lot of the countries where dangerous game is hunted, lever actions are illegal for civilian possession.

No clue if that's got anything to do with the price of tea in China, but those were my first two thoughts.

Quote:
The 350 Legend is to the .357 Magnum what the .444 Marlin is to the .44 Magnum.
What about the ever-loveable .357 Supermag, aka 357 Maximum?
45-70 thread, let's not talk about that here.

Quote:
lol, I didn't say "Presidency", I said "Squad Leader". Heehaw.

That said, I nominate Randy for vice chair.
We probably should have a northern California meeting to discuss this.
Old 11-30-2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
mattt

How did this post turn to water buffalo stopping splithoof? 45/70 is a great round as is 450 marlin .
I brought it up in a recent Marlin lever rifle thread.

Quote:
In the summer of 2002, Vince Lupo of Tampa, Florida successfully completed his quest to take the African Big Six with his Marlin 45-70 lever-gun and Garrett Hammerhead Ammo.
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/luposafaris.html

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 11-30-2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
We probably should have a northern California meeting to discuss this.

But, my good man, the Mojave is down south, here.

Please! Come on down!

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 11-30-2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1570943
I think Apples addressed it perfectly while I was figuring out how to copy to the other thread.
I have an interest in Marlin lever-actions, despite a bad prior experience. Having learned of the custom shop, I think for me that is the way to go. Reading of hunters who use them in the persuit of dangerous game peaked my interest, as I'm in the initial planning stages of a Safari (as soon as I'm healed up). While my choice of rifle has already been made, acquired, and modified to suit my needs, I'm always open to adding another tool to the Shed.
I do already own a .45-70, but it is an original Trapdoor Carbine, and have no plans to ever use it.
If y'all want to meet down at Apple's desert shooting spot, I'd be happy to bring my bolt rifle for anyone to try out.
Old 12-01-2019, 6:10 AM

It's a shame we cant get surplus Siamese Mauser rifles at anything like a reasonable price to build into a strong bolt action 45-70. With the well constructed Starline brass a true power house rifle would be in your hands.
Old 12-01-2019, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

One of the first rifles I bought at the Marin county fairgrounds gun show - Marlin 1895.

Shot the heck out if it with all manner of loads. Just plain fun.

Recently someone gave me some blackpowder rounds. Super fun with much billowy clouds of smoke.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:16 AM

With talk of big bullets and heavy loads, will the Marlin 1895 handle any of the longer Sharps type rounds?

So far have only shot some 405gr Cowboy loads and Hornady 325gr Leverevolution.

Would the action handle/feed the longer rounds, and could the barrel be reamed for different case? A search indicates at one time they were offered in 45-90...
Old 12-01-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
This interest in the .45-70 is something to look at. Having been directed to Marlin's custom shop, it looks as though that is the avenue I'm considering going if I finally decided on an 1895. For those that have hunted with an 1895 in that caliber, and to those who know the limitations of the rifle in regard to pressure limits and hot reloads (or hi-performance factory ammo), how will it hold up over time, and how does that round compare to some of the established dangerous game cartridges such as .375, .416, .458, etc?......I think some ballistic research is in order.
Being as old as it is, and its use around the world in human conflict and some hunting, if it is such a great thing, why hasn't it been at the head of the line as a dangerous game "stopper", and carried by more PH's?...Is it that most .45-70 rifles are too light, hence unpleasant to use with adequate ammunition, or is the cartridge not really up to the task by the average hunter? I have no doubt of its ability to knock down large moose, bears, and all sorts of other stuff, so all this is something I'm looking into.
Thoughts?
Splithoof: The round had killed everything on the planet by 1900. It killed literally Millions of Bison which are as big and tough as any African Buffalo. The guns used were mostly Trapdoor Springfields, Rolling Blocks and some Leverguns, because that's all that was available at the time. The British were not going to chamber the .45-70 in their guns because they had similar cartridges they wanted to promote and sell in their guns.

There are several reasons why it never achieved PH Preferred Status in Africa. First is the fact that Africa was dominated by English Guns, and they were made and loaded to the levels needed to cope with dangerous game ever present there. Second and important at the time was the fact that American Made Factory Ammo for the .45-70 round has always been loaded to be safe in Trapdoor Springfields. Thus loaded below 18,000 psi. It should be noted that most PH's now consider the .45-70 with appropriate loads to be suitable for Buffalo.

Michael Bain's Shooting Gallery went to Africa with Custom Shop Marlins in .45-70 and took several Buffalos at ranges up to 100 yards.They worked just fine using Garrett ammo.

A post 1972 1895 Marlin Action is good to 47,500 psi and completely safe at 43,000 psi, and the 1886 action is good to 50K psi.

A good place to read about the various Pressure Levels is here,
https://www.garrettcartridges.com/chamberpressure.html

I would also suggest that you get a copy of the August 2007 Handloader #248 Magazine which has Brian Pearce's in depth article on loading the .45-70 for Marlin Rifles. You can get a copy from Wolfe Publishing 1-800-899-7810

I am mostly quoting from that article here as it is, IMHO the most comprehensive source for Loading info for these guns available anywhere.

This article has loads categorized into 4 different pressure levels. <21K psi, <28K psi, <35K psi, and <43,500 psi. All are completely safe in a Marlin 1895, however the ones using 400+ gr bullets at speeds above 1600fps get brutal very fast. Also note that all of the loads, loaded to above 21,000 psi are in that category. IE Brutal. Not speculation, but actual fact based on "My Shoulder's Condition" after firing some of them.

.45-70 loads from Winchester, Federal and Remington are loaded between 18,000 and 21,000 psi in deference to Trapdoor Rifles which these loads will inevitably find their way into. These loads are more powerful than the ones that took down everything on earth before 1900 that were loaded with Black Powder and cast lead boolits..

I have been shooting alot of 12 ga Slugs over the last year. As we all know .437 gr =1 oz. 500 gr is @1 1/4 oz. Most Shotgun Slugs are loaded to two basic levels. 1oz.@ 1300 fps (Low Recoil) and High Base 1 1/8-1/4 oz. @1600+ fps.

Thus these Shotgun Loads are a comparable to .45-70 loads using 400 to 500 gr boolits in both performance and recoil. My Mossberg 500 Tactical Gun weighs right at 7 lbs empty. So does my 1895CB. I can shoot Low Recoil Slugs all day from that gun and not suffer any adverse effects. I can also fire 40 of my .45-70 Standard Loads, 340 gr boolits at 1550 fps, in a morning and not have any marks on me. I would not hesitate to shoot an Elk or Moose with that load,,, but would probably use 405 gr boolits instead toned down to around 1450 fps.

In my opinion, your ability to shoot the gun is mainly contingent on you being able to absorb the recoil generated by the gun. If you can't accurately fire at least 20 rounds of a given load in an hours worth of practice, you probably won't get good enough with the gun to ethically hunt with it.

There is a rule out there with regard to ethical hunting. 100 rounds fired in practice, for every 100 yards of distance you propose to shoot. IE: If your shots are going to be limited to 100 yards then 100 rounds of practice is in order. If 200 yards is your limit then 200 rounds is in order. And so on. (kind of takes the wind out of the novices who want to shoot at 800 yards the first time out.) It is pure BS IMHO, to think you are good enough to go hunt a living animal after firing 3 rounds at the range with your gun that you haven't shot since last year.

I consider the .45-70 to be a 150 yard gun. I can still hit at 200 but I am way more comfortable at 150 and even better at 100 yards or less.

I also recommend that you start with weaker loads and work your way up to what you think you can stand. It is counterproductive to start at the top and work your way down.

Next to the .44 Special/Magnum, I consider the .45-70 to be my favorite cartridge.

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Para LDA 1640 354.jpg (70.5 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-01-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Old 12-01-2019, 11:36 AM

Interesting article on modern 1895 action strength.

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/new...ersus-reality/
Old 12-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Randy, that article in Handloader and the actual safari Brian Pierce was on with his .45-70 is what I was alluding to earlier. An amazing hunt and the safari article[parts 1 & 2] were some great reading. Brian writes a lot of informative articles, but, that one was his best. Riveting. The .45-70 guys here ought to get those two magazines and read those. You'll know what Randy is talking about.

MLC
Old 12-01-2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post

Interesting, and I suspected as much. I spoke very recently with a custom rifle builder, and he said about the same, but did not mention the 1895M, or the .450 Marlin. What is that about?
Old 12-01-2019, 3:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
It's a shame we cant get surplus Siamese Mauser rifles at anything like a reasonable price to build into a strong bolt action 45-70. With the well constructed Starline brass a true power house rifle would be in your hands.
There should be a fair amount of Zastava commercial 98s here ( often sold under other names, like the Remington 798 ). There was even a 458 version. Not sure if anyone is importing them currently.

— Michael
Old 12-01-2019, 3:54 PM

Actually I do wish that Remlin would chamber more cartridges/calibers in the 336 action and not so much in their custom shop. An affordable 38-55 or .32 Win Spl. or 25-35 Win in a 336 W would be nice.
Old 12-01-2019, 4:39 PM

All this 45-70 talk is making it harder to wait to order my 1874 Sharps for Blackpowder 1000 yard loads.
Old 12-01-2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
All this 45-70 talk is making it harder to wait to order my 1874 Sharps for Blackpowder 1000 yard loads.
Is that rifle offered in .45-90 or others that may also take the .45-70?
Old 12-01-2019, 5:15 PM

Most companies that make a 1874 Sharps also make it in 45-90, -110, or -120.
Old 12-01-2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post

Thank you for that. I have known that when handloading the .45-70, there are fundamentally 3 categories of pressure:

1. Trapdoor
2. Marlin 1895
3. Ruger #1

The above three examples of firearms comprise only part of the list of rifles manufactured and chambered for the .45-70

Due to it's lighter weight (7.5 lbs - the barrel is beefy), I for one certainly am not building any 3rd tier handloads (unless I were to acquire, say, a Ruger #1). I'm strictly a middle-of-the-handload-road lever action kinda guy.

What I appreciate being reminded! of, however, from the quoted story from RangerPointPrecision is how the 1895 receiver is a *weakend* 336 due to hogging it out to "pass" the big cartridge, the big chamber (barrel) and the big mag portal.

Can't wait to get my hands on those two issues of Handloader, though. Thank you Randy for posting those here and in another recent thread.

Here's to fun and safe shooting, fellers! Love my 1895 GS and my light and medium-speed handloads.

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 12-01-2019, 7:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I my 1895 SBL

CGF Contributor
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
Old 12-01-2019, 7:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a trip planned for some T-Rex with my 1895 SBL. I need to figure out what loads to develop for the hunt.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-01-2019, 7:48 PM

I saved up for a 1895 Cowboy. I love it.

I'm debating on installing a vernier sight for long range plinking or getting a Ranger peep sight and stay at 200 yards.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 12-01-2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
I have known that when handloading the .45-70, there are fundamentally 3 categories of pressure:

1. Trapdoor
2. Marlin 1895
3. Ruger #1
Methinks that unless you already have another .45-70, the Ruger #1 in that caliber is a waste; might as well get one in .458 Lott. You will get better performance, with less pressure, and can use the .458WM if you need.