Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Threading a 700...best option?

I scooped up a Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical at my local shop at a price too good to walk away from. I figured it would be a donor action to send to Randall and didn't have much hope for it as a shooter.

Took it to the range and the best 5 shot group of the day was .355, the largest was 1.05. The rifle tends towards honest .5-.75 MOA 5 shot groups with the various match ammo I brought. Without doing a thing to it, the rifle is a shooter. However...I'd still like to put a muzzle brake on it for the purpose of being able to better track my own shot splash and hopefully put a suppressor on it when I escape CA in June.

Questions:
1) Will threading and putting on a brake potentially mess up a good thing? I'm happy with the accuracy and don't want to make it less accurate.

2) Is threading a barreled action cost effective? Or would I be better off to just spend the money to install a threaded Bartlien/Kreiger/aftermarket barrel?

Thoughts?

For Sale: USFA SAA, S&W Model 27, Colt Police Positive .38 $325

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

Last edited by John Browning; 11-24-2019 at 12:33 PM..