Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions > Shotgun Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun Gallery Post pictures of your scattergun here.

Old 06-30-2014, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Default My new Kel-Tec KSG in OD green... finally

2 year wait, finally becomes mine. I started watching these 2 years ago when announced/released in tiny quantities, and quickly resigned myself to not being able to own one for a long, long time given the sucker prices being asked - and paid mind you. Even more so, I figured a colored one would never happen as those were even more rare. Since then, I have watched prices and availability on and off. Well, it seems there was a recent big batch made by Kel-Tec as you can find them all over now it seems - at least on the web - for MSRP and less. 4 months ago I was offered a chance to get a rare OD for $1300 & passed. I paid $850 on Gunbroker 2 weeks ago and no one but me bid. I have seen several sell (or not sell) in this price range. My preferred LSG has gotten 4 black in as many weeks, nothing ever until then. So, I knew it was time and the price was right so I jumped.

Just finished it today. Not shot it yet. But look forward to shooting it soon and already got it all decked out (as I do with all my guns) with the parts and extras I wanted.

I even made my own 4 prong barrel nut removing tool out of an old 15/16" socket (I can give details and pictures if anyone has interest) to save the $30 on an "official" barrel nut tool. It worked splendid. I also believe, so it looks like over at KTOG forums where I also post, I was the first to try and confirmed the fit of the Ergo A2 grip plug - I can also post photos and details here if anyone interested.

-MagPul MBUS - black
-Ultimate arms tac 4 reflex sight
-Buttonsling.com QD sling mount
-Hi-Tec Defender muzzle break
-Hi-Tech selector switch
-Kel-Tech kydex cheek weld cover
-MagPul AFG 2 – black
-Ergo grip plug (this was my idea and desgin as seen on the KSG forums, someone is now selling them )
-SMT SS followers

Last edited by glock_this; 04-25-2016 at 4:48 PM..
Old 06-30-2014, 3:16 PM

that looks awesome man. how does the AFG feel for the pump?
Old 06-30-2014, 3:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't get the hate for the KSG. It's a great innovation which in time will be perfected. It's kind of like the iPhone of shotguns, a big step forward.

I had a utas for a bit. It fed flawlessly but never did fire shells unless the pump was held firmly forward. However, the gun felt great and would be nice for three gun once it's sorted out. The question is...when??

I like the green but worry id lose it in the woods if I set it down.
Old 06-30-2014, 5:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoThreeOneSix View Post
that looks awesome man. how does the AFG feel for the pump?
I have just done some testing in the garage and for me, it feels just fine. But I run AFG's on all my rifles so it is a natural choice. Under firing load it might change as a lot of kick compared to an AR, but it is a place to start and keep the hand from flying forward or back and just certainly give a better grip than the forend itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
I don't get the hate for the KSG. It's a great innovation which in time will be perfected. It's kind of like the iPhone of shotguns, a big step forward.

I had a utas for a bit. It fed flawlessly but never did fire shells unless the pump was held firmly forward. However, the gun felt great and would be nice for three gun once it's sorted out. The question is...when??

People hate as it is a total not needed novelty, Kel-Tec does not have the best quality name, they were getting sold WAY over price and that pizzez people off. I knew, from day 1, I wanted one and didn't care what others thought and one LGS close to me had an employee who would do nothing but hate on them and clown me for wanting it. Well.. I say to him, eat it brother, because I got one
Old 06-30-2014, 7:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Rare?
Old 06-30-2014, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Compared to black... heck yeah

Follow the production & availability of black versus FDE or OD or the Titanium and you wouldn't ask that.

Now, availablility of all colors has gone up in the last 30 days, but say 3-4 months ago find a black not super hard.. but an OD or FDE, not easy.

So keep your understanding of "rare" in proper perspective & context.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Calguns Addict

It is sweet with the full rail and mbus.

I would like to fill it up with slugs and run around the forest with it.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

get slugs and try to shoot ar500 bullseye targets... yyyyyeah. Let it ring.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:53 PM

Congrats, very nice pshooter you have there. Feels good after a long wait, to finally bring her home, right?
American stormed the beaches of Normandy, not Europeans. Americans invented the airplane, personal computer, telephone, radio, TV, GPS, the DVR, automatic transmission, laser, and f'ing bubble gum. EUROPEANS DIDN"T. So until you asshats start providing the world with more innovation than Americans do how about you STFU about us?
Old 08-31-2014, 1:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
...Well, it seems there was a recent big batch made by Kel-Tec as you can find them all over now it seems - at least on the web - for MSRP and less...
That batch consists of factory reworks of original guns sent back for one reason or another...hence the speedier delivery.

Quote:

I don't especially think it's "hate" if someone dislikes something. Whether it's perfected in time remains to be seen...maybe so, maybe not.

The I-Phone was a big step forward when introduced, not so much now...unless you're tied to the Apple teat somehow. Also, Apple was able to deliver large quantities without the drama of the KSF.

A UTAS demonstration for a local LE group was discontinued by the rep when mis-feeds, extractions, and ejections began to happen with both him and a few VERY experienced LEO's.

Bullpups tend to do well in small caliber rifles, not so much with shotguns...witness High Standard, KelTec, and UTAS. Not to mention plasticky garbage conversion kits for the 870.

Quote:
People hate as it is a total not needed novelty, Kel-Tec does not have the best quality name, they were getting sold WAY over price and that pizzez people off. I knew, from day 1, I wanted one and didn't care what others thought and one LGS close to me had an employee who would do nothing but hate on them and clown me for wanting it. Well.. I say to him, eat it brother, because I got one
Some people dislike it, and I still think the word "hate" is a bit overboard when your talking about preference for a particular weapon.

Your comment on KelTec quality is bit of an understatement, but you'd expect that given KelTec's pricing, in general, on everything but the KSG.

I'm glad you got what you wanted. More importantly, I hope it works out for you.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 09-07-2014, 1:26 PM

I love my shotguns and love bull pups but im still waiting for the over all on these guys. Almost every review/video i see the guy's wrist is bleeding from the force/location of the extracted shell. Granted a lot of dislike came from people not being able to charge the gun properly resulting in mis fires/failures to feed. But if you try hard enough that issue isnt really a big deal but first impressions from reviews can tarnish a companies reputation. Saw and held a Tan model at my local shop and wanted to pull the trigger but ill hold off a little longer. Love the gun's look and purpose though Enjoy it
Old 09-09-2014, 8:14 AM

Looks great in OD green!!! Just got mine in black and I love it!!!! Can't wait to take it to the range this weekend
Old 09-09-2014, 2:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That's a nice looking shotgun.
Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 11-25-2014, 6:44 PM

How much did you pay for it OTD in the end? Its a gen 1 BTW.
Old 11-25-2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkeesh View Post
I love my shotguns and love bull pups but im still waiting for the over all on these guys. Almost every review/video i see the guy's wrist is bleeding from the force/location of the extracted shell. Granted a lot of dislike came from people not being able to charge the gun properly resulting in mis fires/failures to feed. But if you try hard enough that issue isnt really a big deal but first impressions from reviews can tarnish a companies reputation. Saw and held a Tan model at my local shop and wanted to pull the trigger but ill hold off a little longer. Love the gun's look and purpose though Enjoy it
I ran over a hundred shells through my buddy's first-gen ksg with that same AFG as the op's. Didn't have a single failure to feed or any other failure for that matter, and never even noticed where the spent shells were going until I looked down when racking the pump. They certainly were nowhere near my arm (?) and the gun was flawless.
I'm definitely going to buy one.

Last edited by PseudoTsuga; 11-25-2014 at 9:23 PM..
Old 12-08-2014, 9:23 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I think I will stick with my maverick 88
Old 12-14-2014, 10:01 AM

Nice..
Old 12-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Nice, I got the same one. Send me the pics of your barrel nut removal socket, thanks.
Old 12-25-2014, 2:57 PM

Sweet! My brother picked up one in tan and loves it. His only complaint was how his shoulder was achy after shooting it empty. I guess 14 rapid fire might be a tad much.

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT
Old 03-24-2015, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

The AFG is the perfect fore grip for it.

Try a hooked hand stop ONCE and you won't mount one ever again..

They were going for around $1200 late last year- figure it as paying the "not-registered-to-your-name" tax for the earlier owners

-Dave
Old 03-30-2015, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I put about 75 rounds down range this past weekend with it. Flawless firing. I put 2 3/4 Federal #8 birdshot and about 20 Aguila mini shot shells. Zero issues. I have found the real key to these is rack hard. I think people tend to rack them to soft and then wonder while the round fails to eject. Rack hard and zero ejection issues.

My last upgrade is I have some SS followers I am going to change to.
Old 03-30-2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
I put about 75 rounds down range this past weekend with it. Flawless firing. I put 2 3/4 Federal #8 birdshot and about 20 Aguila mini shot shells. Zero issues. I have found the real key to these is rack hard. I think people tend to rack them to soft and then wonder while the round fails to eject. Rack hard and zero ejection issues.

My last upgrade is I have some SS followers I am going to change to.
Any of you have that problem with the ejected shell hitting your arm? If so, how's your shooting stance? Elbow out or in?
Old 06-25-2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:

I think it has its purpose. That being said reloading aside I can run an 870 a lot more effectively than my ksg. The training has something to do with it, but I also think it needs more "refinement"

Reloading especially under pressure/adrenaline can be down right impossible. You have to rack it hard both directions witch I think takes time. That being said still a good gun for home defense. My idea take it fully loaded with a side arm once you cycle through the 14 shells toss it and go to your side arm. Reloading is just not an option in my humble opinion.

Do not go gentle into that good night.*
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Old 09-08-2015, 7:52 PM

Green looks good. Nice setup.