Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-13-2013, 7:10 PM

Default best (good) autoloader for hunting?

I get it that this kind of question is asked a lot, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have an old 16ga single shot that was handed down to me but I'm thinking I'm wanting to get a newer 12ga. (Any reason why I should consider a 20ga instead?) I've decided that I want a semi-automatic but don't know which ones are good quality or a best buy for the money. That's where you come in. Any suggestions?

Primarily, I am thinking of turkey hunting (when not using my bow) and perhaps some chukkar or sport shooting. I'd like the option of using slugs as well, should the situation call for it.

I know that it would be best if I could try out several different ones but I don't know of anywhere that I could actually do that. Next best thing would be to look at them in a local shop, but with the rush on all things gun related right now, good luck on finding a shop that has them in stock.

So, what do you think? Let's hear some suggestions from the experts.

I've considered the Remington VersaMax but only because I see a commercial for them all the time. Is there a better option in that price range? ...or lower price range? ...or slightly higher?
Old 02-13-2013, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

12 for all around shooting, comfortable weight to carry all day.

It basicly boils down to what feels good to you and what fits you better then the rest. Fit is very important

There is a ton semi's to choose from... Browning, Beretta, Winchester, Benelli , which all make great quality guns and each has it own following.

A lot of manufactures are selling guns with shims to adjust the gun for best fit........I'm a big fan of the guns that do.

Try before you buy is a good way to go if possible

Here is some additional info for ya

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=425953

Happy hunting
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 PM

Take a look at the Winchester SX3 probably one of the best for the money. and fairly lightweight for a autoloader.

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 02-14-2013, 8:49 AM

I would look at a weatherby sa-08 too, lower in the price list but still a quality gun and their HQ is in paso robles, so if anything happens with it you can get it fixed quickly.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM

If you haven't you could go to the skeet seminars that are stickies at the top of this forum. They loan out guns and you could ask if they have an autoloader you could try. I have a Beretta 3901 which I got because the Bereta 390 is a very good gun and this is just a much cheaper made version of it. I like the Rem 1100 also.

It would help for you to try out a few. I hunt dove and have always used 12 ga. but I usually use 20 gague for skeet. When you are shooting a lot of rounds the lower recoil helps. I don't think you give up much going down in gague.

Last year I bought a 28 ga. for hunting and used it on dove. Love it and I didn't really notice hitting birds was any harder.

I don't hunt turkey but I would like to in the future. I imagine with the right load you could do just fine with a 20ga, although most would prefer a 12 for everything.

Try the skeet shooting seminar, you'll learn something even if you don't get to try the gun you want, and you'll be able to talk to some very knowledgable shotgunners. Tripple Bs is a big place so they might be able to rent out a gun for you to try, I don't know.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM

Forgot about the the SA-08, wife has had one for a few years and its been quite reliable and quite well made for a gun from Turkey.

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 02-14-2013, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

OP
If you're not going to hunt ducks very often the only reason to NOT go with a 20 gauge is cost and availability of ammo. 20 gauge ammo is a bit harder to find and more expensive than 12 (though not as bad as the 16 you've been using).

A 3 inch 20 gauge will shoot the same payload as the 16 you've been shooting. If you're going to spend a day shooting ducks (or non-tox pheasants), spend 60 bucks on two 10 round boxes of Nice Shot (http://store.fastcommerce.com/nicesh...43f649b-p.html) and be done with it. If you find that most of your shooting requires you to shoot past 35 or so yards then the 12 might be your answer. Though, Hevi-Shot offers 1-1/4 oz of #2 Hevi-Duck loads for 20 gauge. I have no idea how they fit it in there, and no idea how they pattern. If you don't intend on shooting ducks (or perhaps) pheasants much, you might as well look at the 20s.

20 gauge semi-autos tend to be trimmer, lighter, and easier to carry and would be my choice if I was mostly an upland hunter, or did more than a couple of miles of walking for hunting ducks (and if I didn't have a 16 gauge).

As it is I'm tentatively in the market for a 28 gauge semi because I like my shotguns like America likes its supermodels, wafer thin, light, and incapable of kicking.

Oh yeah, and to answer your question, the Benelli Cordoba would be nice. Also the Montefeltro, though the Cordoba seems trimmer (but heavier). I haven't handled an Ultra Light yet.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 02-14-2013 at 2:34 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 8:01 AM

I just got my Benelli Super Vinci and I love it.
Old 02-15-2013, 8:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
TheFeeder, I'll check that link later, when I get some time this weekend.
nick9130White, congrats!

I'm going to try to go to the BassPro in Rancho Cucamonga this weekend and see what they have in stock that I can handle.

I've heard a couple times that I might want to consider a 20ga instead of a 12ga, if I'm only considering turkey hunting but I don't think I want to limit myself...
Old 02-15-2013, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Another pro for the 20 gauge is that the ammo weighs less and is smaller, so you can carry more of it into the field. Would you rather pack in 100 rounds of 12 or 20 for a dove hunt?

As for turkeys:
I picked this up for my girlfriend (http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ll.aspx?id=229) but haven't patterned it yet. 1-5/16 oz of shot compared to what I used to use in my 12 (http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ll.aspx?id=179) at 1-5/8, I don't think anything is going to live on the difference. I do know she is going to appreciate walking around with a 21 inch barreled, 6 pound, 20 gauge 870 instead of my 26 inch barreled, 3.5 inch chambered, 7+ lbs 12 gauge Nova.

I'm not trying to convince you to go 20 gauge, I just want you to keep an open mind and not get bogged down by the "you need a 12 gauge" crowd. If I didn't mostly hunt ducks (and already own a couple sweetheart 16 gauges) I would probably shoot a 20. That being said, the 12 will be cheaper to shoot if you don't reload.

Of course, I'm biased in that I like light guns and prefer them to not kick very much (or maybe I'm a girly man).

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 02-15-2013 at 8:52 AM..
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 AM

I have a remington 1100, and I love it. No issues to date, cycles slugs, bucks, and birdshot without one hiccup.

"Gun control is like trying
to reduce drunk driving
by making it tougher for
sober people to own cars"
Old 02-16-2013, 4:47 AM

I am not sure if it is a local phenomenon, but ammo is actually easier to find for the 20 gauge near me. While Turners and Walmart have been selling out of 12 gauge quickly, there are usually several bulk backs and AAs for the 20.
Old 02-16-2013, 5:50 AM

For hunting, I'd got with SX3. Synthetic stock so you don't have to worry about the wood and it's the lightest of my shotguns. It's also balanced very well which I find makes a difference when carrying it around.

I also have an 1100 and 391. Both are very good firearms, but feel much heavier.
Old 02-16-2013, 8:03 PM

Thanks for all the info.
I'm going to stick with a 12ga for now (after I go check some out first). Hopefully ammo will still be available.