Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-25-2016, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
Keep in mind there are millions living in LA alone that depend on the government to feed themselves and their babies from day to day. Hope you have a moat around your house for those.....
I think most people here are more of a "safe room" type of crowd.

"Visitors" will quickly learn there are softer targets available to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 04-25-2016, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-shot View Post

^^^ wow. just...wow.

Hey so, those that live in suburban/urban areas (like Rowland Heights, where my sister lives, or Altadena, where I live), how do you guys get prepped for water? I don't have a pool, was planning to buy either 7gal aquatainers, stackable water containers, or 55 gallon barrels.

I ask because, storage-wise, if I need to get a 30day supply minimum, it seems tricky on where I can keep the barrels (don't have a garage, but a carport).
Old 04-25-2016, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-shot View Post

We modified our master bedroom's closet to be somewhat of a safe room, but still, it's only a last-ditch thing, to give you enough time to call 911 and hold on until emergency services get there -- not much else. If the S has HTF, and there is no realistic 911 response, you're screwed, as they can (and in many SHTF scenarios, will) simply set your house on fire, so unless your safe room is fire proof, heat resistant, and has it's own air supply, you're gonna die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
Hey so, those that live in suburban/urban areas (like Rowland Heights, where my sister lives, or Altadena, where I live), how do you guys get prepped for water? I don't have a pool, was planning to buy either 7gal aquatainers, stackable water containers, or 55 gallon barrels.
55 gallon barrels and larger rain catchment containers are great, but if you've got nowhere to put them, it's probably best to start a new thread, put up some pix or describe of the kinds of spaces you do have, and let the forum throw some ideas at you. Prolly a lot of people in the same boat as you.
Old 04-25-2016, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
We modified our master bedroom's closet to be somewhat of a safe room, but still, it's only a last-ditch thing, to give you enough time to call 911 and hold on until emergency services get there -- not much else. If the S has HTF, and there is no realistic 911 response, you're screwed, as they can (and in many SHTF scenarios, will) simply set your house on fire, so unless your safe room is fire proof, heat resistant, and has it's own air supply, you're gonna die.
Yes of course a safe room is just a fall back point.

In the zombie apocalypse you don't fall back to a point without egress.

My comment was more to the reality of a safe room over the moat post.

The kingdom, surrounded by a moat is nothing more than a safe room as well and once breached, well, when they're in they're in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
55 gallon barrels and larger rain catchment containers are great, but if you've got nowhere to put them, it's probably best to start a new thread, put up some pix or describe of the kinds of spaces you do have, and let the forum throw some ideas at you. Prolly a lot of people in the same boat as you.
Anybody in an apartment needs to think about weight distribution because water is HEAVY. That's why you see the "no waterbeds" clause in the paperwork. That and the potential mess
Quote:
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 04-25-2016, 2:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Earthquake is the easiest and most likely event to plan for.

If you have enough food, water, light, medical supplies, warmth, to last 30 days, you should be fine.

It's a localized event and supplies and help will eventually show up.

The nation-wide or world-wide SHTF event where everything falls apart is the problem.

Remember 'The Road'? They had enough supplies to last 7 years. That's a lot of stuff. But it eventually ran out and they had to bug out.

Unless you have a completely self-sufficient community, you're screwed. And if the 'event' prevents the growing of crops, your self-sufficient community is also screwed.

So just prep for an earthquake and hope for the best.
I always what the event was that caused it to all go to hell.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-25-2016, 4:48 PM
Veteran Member

Since moving to the ranch all is well. Only one way to find out for certain and that is to actually go through "The Event" as most things of that nature never go according to plan.

Although now I have to add volcanic eruption to the list but we are well out of the 'flow' channels.

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 04-25-2016, 7:07 PM

The #1 reason people don't have an emergency kit...the government will save them...good luck to the unwashed...

This is from a Chapman 2015 Study..

Old 04-25-2016, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripon83 View Post
Guess I am projecting that 916 means the Sacramento area? This thread was started by one in Southern CA I believe and certainly they have circumstances in play there and in fault ridden bay area that are different then us valley dwellers.

I'm a bug out first guy, but in the OP there is a reasonable suggestion that an instant earth quake makes that impossible. Even though I'm best set up to bug out if its not possible I know that I can maintain at home for a good deal of time if not permanently.

The longer any such event goes on the worse our public system of order will decline. That's the question I have - how long - until the hoards start trying to just take what is no theirs? Sure they will loot stores and businesses first, but preppers will be next. Preppers will no doubt fight back; I know I would, but how much fight can you give a hoard with overwhelming numbers? You either leave or die in place. To leave you have to have a plan.

By the way - plans are preparations that are really cost effective....cause all they take is time and energy to produce.
I live on the outskirts about 45 minutes from downtown Sacramento and if you head any further north it's all country. The people I would have to deal with most are the people that think money or credit will buy them out of anything.

I agree that plans are the most cost effective preps because you only need a few essentials because skills are something that you can take anywhere. However, bugging out or bugging in all have their downsides. Pretty much in California we are all close to densely populated areas within a few hundred miles, which a vehicle with a single tank of gas could get too. If the roads are unusable, than it might buy us some time and thin out the amount of people, but eventually it's inevitable that you run into a much larger group. That's why I think it's also important to have family and friends on board as well. We should have plans that include others with different skill sets.
Old 04-25-2016, 8:14 PM

Someone asked if the passed the test. Well, this was meant as a self check. It does not matter how you answered the questions when you first read this thread, what matters is that you make a decision to provide for yourself for a period of time. The big question is how much time? Three days, three weeks or 3 months? Perhaps even 3 years, in which case the vast majority are screwed.
Old 04-25-2016, 9:46 PM

I'll probably be OK for a month without food/water. Anything past that and we are screwed. My wife and I live in a small apartment, so we are really limited on space.
Old 04-25-2016, 9:49 PM

When I was in the Philippines on the medical mission I found it really interesting. Most live on a few dollars a day, but they were well fed, clean, and relatively happy. They built their homes from bamboo and coconut wood. They raised their own livestock, fished, used basic tools, and raised their own vegetables. When I went to the one of the schools the kids were catering to their gardens. One of the kids asked me if they taught us how to grow food in school. I chuckled and told him if the grocery stores closed half of our population would starve. They cooked on open fires with grills made from rebar. They had homemade gravity fed water from nearby streams and rain catchment systems feeding into 55 gallon plastic drums. Water purification was standard boiling. Thanks to some of you guys recommendations I brought a bunch of Bic lighters and gave them out. They were like gold to them.

These people live in SHTF conditions in our eyes, but have adjusted to their circumstances. The problem we would run into is that our culture is highly entitled, selfish, greedy, and have lost the knowledge to be self reliant. If Youtube or the internet stopped working people would be lost. These people looked up to us because we were Americans, but I looked up to them because they can thrive in situations that we call SHTF.

If anyone has the chance to go to some of these countries I'd highly recommend it.
Old 04-26-2016, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardog308 View Post
I'm off the grid. Unless the sun goes out and my well dries up, I'm good. I've been rotating preps for a long time ready for this exact scenario.
Unless the earthquake shifts the rock layers and shuts off your well.
Old 04-26-2016, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Roadster View Post
The #1 reason people don't have an emergency kit...the government will save them...good luck to the unwashed...

This is from a Chapman 2015 Study..

[IMG]pic[/IMG]
People who think the government will / can help DIDN'T LEARN their lesson when katrina hit!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

** How much water do you have NOW?

Ugh. about 50 gallons of purified water. Live 1/4 mile from one of very few LA county natural reservoirs which is very difficult to get to and rarely used.

The reservoir behind my house has 3.4 Billion Gallons of water. The one above it has 140 Million gallons of water. Both are walking distance.

** How many days do you think it will last?

Depends.

** What will you do for a toilet?

Cans, bags and burn.

** What is your food supply?

120 days for 4 people of canned, packed, freeze dried food alone, a variety of mountain house, legacy, and honeyville. Various grains and dried meats. Another 120 days of additional canned foods including spam, beans, chili, and much more.

20 chickens that produce 8-12 eggs regularly until the small ones get older. The chickens have a 2-3 month food supply stored (crumble) as well as much, much grass for them to free range.

Growing vegetable garden producing tomatoes, some citrus, and various herbs.

Other emergency supplies and foods.

** How will you cook it?

Have a few propane tanks. Have barbeque. Gobs and gobs of lumber / wood around as well.

** Do you have a camp stove or other means of cooking?

Yes.

** How long will you survive on the food in your house RIGHT NOW?

several months.

** Do you think the markets will have much on hand, even if you can get there?

Hmmmm no

** Can you buy anything even if you get to a retailer or someone selling?

No

** Credit card readers are down. Cash is the only means to buy (some barter may take place I understand that). How much cash do you have on hand?

Enough

* As roads may be blocked for a few days you may not go anywhere for sometime. Once they become passable, how much gas in your tank?

Vespa has a full tank, as does GSXR1000. So does the Harley Vrod. As does the Tahoe and excursion usually.

* Think you will buy gas? The stations pumps will not work. Do you have some fuel stored? Be careful where and how you store gasoline!

No - gas spoils, planning around that.

* What is the extent of the damage overall? Turn on your radio and find the news. You do have a battery or crank powered radio?

Excursion and Tahoe have multiple batteries and programmed frequencies for all of Southern and Northern California including all trunked and non encrypted standard systems (police, fire, ambulance, etc.) Have handheld as well as mobile radios. Solar power as well.

Cars have all municipal, county, state, and some federal bands as well as amateur radio including CB bands.

** How long will those batteries last? Do you have a stock of extra batteries for it and your flashlights?

Have *substantial* independent solar powered lighting.

** What about night time lighting? Candles can be dangerous.

Solar LED's.

** Do you have a generator? Fire that up in an urban or suburban area and chances are someone will want and attempt to take it.

Yes. Motorola EU2000's.

The RV has solar power and 6 batteries.

As far as someone taking things:

I live in the middle of a very suburban area, but very much in the hills, and away from the main streets. In fact, it is difficult to get to my place from the street.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:30 AM

7.5 quake?!

Serious question to anyone whose "prep" for water in such a scenario is either a swimming pool or a well: Do you expect the pool and/or well to still be functional after a local 7.5?

Many folks don't realize how many pools crack in major quakes (e.g. Northridge). Depending on the underlying soil conditions, pool water may simply disappear into the ground after such a massive quake. Of course, it may do even more interesting things if you happen to live in a liquifaction zone.

I don't have first-hand experience with wells after a local major quake, but do you expect the well to still be functional afterward (e.g. casing still in tact, shaft still lines up the whole way, etc.)?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:38 AM

As an aside, one of my biggest concerns (living in one of the "Very High Fire Danger Zones" of SoCal) after a potential quake of this size is raging fires (both "wild fires" and urban/suburban fires). Thankfully, my neighborhood never lost domestic water after the Northridge earthquake, but many did. I also remember a number of house fires that started from the quake. I imagine that MOST (if not all) neighborhoods that get nailed by a 7.5 would lose domestic water supply. No water plus fires here and there could turn much of the greater Los Angeles basin into one large inferno.

Anyone have a good prep (other than "get out of Dodge!") for such a scenario?

Last edited by Not a Cook; 05-02-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Old 05-29-2016, 4:34 PM
Calguns Addict

The SF bay area and the L.A.basin will have the freeways so jammed that only a few will be able to bug out. think about it.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

I am prepared. Drugs and alcohol for the party time and cash for the hookers.
Old 07-20-2016, 5:11 PM
Calguns Addict

This is California the government will save us.
Old 07-20-2016, 5:46 PM

I'd set up my roadside stand selling ammo for 1 oz of gold per round.
Old 07-20-2016, 6:42 PM

This is a long but interesting talk by Lucy Jones. There is some interesting discussion of geology but she talks more about what will happen after the shaking stops.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOb18q3t6w
Old 07-20-2016, 7:56 PM

Couple points:

Pools have dissolved metals and salts drinking is a no go, similar to drinking saltwater. Cannot use common filter to remove bad stuff. Don't believe go to your community pool filter 5 gallons of water and drink that only till gone.

How many of you store your preps in your garage. Most garages especially with 2 car garage doors are 1st to go and your preps will most likely be inaccessible. Google earthquake images like Loma Prieta or Nortridge. I work at a large company with a square mile campus. Our emergency equipment is stored in multiple job boxes scattered around the campus well away from buildings.

If your home has significant structural damage are you able to determine a safe way to get to your preps and guns. Do you have tools outside your structure to get to were you need to go i.e. Come along, pry bars, sledge hammer, gloves, hard hat, dust mask, steel toe boots, etc.

If your house is not habitable do you have camping supplies stored outside your structure.

A common outcome is gas line break and resulting fire with limited emergency response. There goes your preps.

I've been in several earthquakes and most people who believe they are prepared really are not.

I have a decent amount of gear and supplies stored in a job box away from by home.

Last edited by LMT4ME; 07-20-2016 at 8:01 PM..
Old 07-20-2016, 8:06 PM

I think i've got maybe a week or so of food and water on hand, but as far as hygiene, this is rarely I see people discuss. I usually see "baby wipes" but in reality, are you going to use baby wipes to clean for a couple weeks? I've never bought/used them, earnest question regarding some hygiene. I only have a large bottle of hand sanitizer in the work truck among other things. I imagine this wouldn't be good for long term hygiene, right?
Old 07-20-2016, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
Someone asked if the passed the test. Well, this was meant as a self check. It does not matter how you answered the questions when you first read this thread, what matters is that you make a decision to provide for yourself for a period of time. The big question is how much time? Three days, three weeks or 3 months? Perhaps even 3 years, in which case the vast majority are screwed.
Good questions.

The funny thing is CA gets all the earthquake talk (perhaps rightfully so), but up in OR and WA they are facing the mother of all earthquake risk. There was an interesting article about it in the New Yorker of all things. At first blush you think, yeah, typical sensationalistic clap trap from an entertainment magazine.

A little research and it becomes clear the Cascadia Subduction Zone risk is real and overdue. 9.0+ just waiting around for the when the time is right, ready to strike cities that were built after the last significant quake hit, totally unprepared.

One quote that really struck me, the FEMA guy they interviewed says, "our assumption is everything west of I5 will be toast"

Makes 7.5 with an epicenter right below the transamerica building seem down right low key.
Old 07-20-2016, 8:49 PM

Whats the easiest way to store 3 days worth of water for more than a year? I bought some coast guard water pouches that have a 5 year expiration but wondering what better options there may be. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-21-2016, 3:17 AM

tagged for further reference
Old 07-21-2016, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steponmytoes View Post
Whats the easiest way to store 3 days worth of water for more than a year? I bought some coast guard water pouches that have a 5 year expiration but wondering what better options there may be. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Bulk water containers, like the blue barrels. Treat it, rotate it every so often. Yeah the barrels are heavy. Go with one of the 30 gallon models if the 55s are too much for you.

You'll need more water than you realize. Better to have it and not need it...
Old 07-21-2016, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawStar View Post
I think i've got maybe a week or so of food and water on hand, but as far as hygiene, this is rarely I see people discuss. I usually see "baby wipes" but in reality, are you going to use baby wipes to clean for a couple weeks? I've never bought/used them, earnest question regarding some hygiene. I only have a large bottle of hand sanitizer in the work truck among other things. I imagine this wouldn't be good for long term hygiene, right?
Of course you can use wipes for extended periods of time.
Guys in Desert Storm were out in the sand and went without showers for months, with only baby wipes and bottles of water to maybe wipe down a few body areas with.
Post disaster you wont be sitting in a cubicle or attending meetings in a suit. Hygiene expectations across the population will slump a notch or two. Your main reasons for maintaining good hygiene will be medical, not vanity. If you're looking all clean and spiffy a few weeks into a protracted disaster when no one else has access to that level of hygiene, you'll stick out like a sore thumb
Old 07-21-2016, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

As always I would make sure there was no gas leaking into the house. Then I would go back to bed.

I have everything I need and no need to panic over an earthquake. If I'm not dead and not in immediate danger sleep is an asset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 07-21-2016, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steponmytoes View Post
I bought some coast guard water pouches that have a 5 year expiration but wondering what better options there may be. Suggestions would be appreciated.
The water in the pouch won't go bad. Think about water in aquifers; it is there for eons.

If it was pathogen free when it went in the pouch it will still be good decades from now. If you want to be extra safe boiling will assure it is safe to drink; stirring will re-oxygenate it and make it taste better.
Old 07-21-2016, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post

How much water do you have NOW? 1x 55 gallon drum and 5x 5 gallon jugs

How many days do you think it will last? 2 adults + 1 greyhound dog = 3 gallons/day = 26+ days if we really conserve.

What will you do for a toilet? 5 gallon bucket with heavy duty bags + poo powder 2 large tubs, probably last a couple of months.

What is your food supply? 2 month supply of mountain house various different tubs

How will you cook it? coleman triton and a couple large BBQ style gas tanks. We also have 2 jetboils with extra tanks if we need to get mobile.

How long will you survive on the food in your house RIGHT NOW? At least 3 months, a little longer if we eat the dog.

Do you think the markets will have much on hand, even if you can get there? I do not think our local market will be open if the electricity is down.

Can you buy anything even if you get to a retailer or someone selling? Credit card readers are down. Cash is the only means to buy (some barter may take place I understand that). How much cash do you have on hand? Averages between $700-$800

As roads may be blocked for a few days you may not go anywhere for sometime. Once they become passable, how much gas in your tank? Think you will buy gas? The stations pumps will not work. Do you have some fuel stored? Be careful where and how you store gasoline!
Tank is always close to full. No intention of going anywhere. The only thing which would cause us to leave would be fire.

What is the extent of the damage overall? Turn on your radio and find the news. You do have a battery or crank powered radio? How long will those batteries last? Do you have a stock of extra batteries for it and your flashlights? Yes x 4

What about night time lighting? Candles can be dangerous. solar recharge lanterns

Do you have a generator? Fire that up in an urban or suburban area and chances are someone will want and attempt to take it.
No generator, I don't really see the need for one. I'd rather spend the money on higher priority stuff- food, medical supplies, maybe another water tank.

This is meant simply as an exercise to evaluate where you are in your preparations for a natural disaster. OK, go take stock of your preps NOW.
I live 1 mile from the Hayward fault. Trust me, I've thought about it.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
― Isaac Asimov

Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has.
~Martin Luther
Old 07-21-2016, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
Of course you can use wipes for extended periods of time.

Guys in Desert Storm were out in the sand and went without showers for months, with only baby wipes and bottles of water to maybe wipe down a few body areas with.

The baby wipe shower is indeed a tried and true method of hygiene when in isolated areas away from showers. I use them when camping as well as down in Baja when the luxury of a hotel isn't in the middle of nowhere. Got baby wipes in camp totes as well as a fair amount in the truck at all times.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:18 AM

I remember the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake vividly. Even though I was only 7 years old. We lived off of Summit road in the Santa Cruz mountains, not more than 1/4 mile from the epicenter. Besides the obvious terrors of such a traumatic event, there are a couple things I wanted to share with the forum that may not have been thought of.

After the quake hit, and our house had fallen off the foundation while we were inside, we were unable to open any of the doors to our house. Luckily 3 neighbors came down and broke the door down. Once outside there were many aftershocks. These aftershocks made it very unwise to go inside the house to gather supplies. Not to mention scary to go back into any structure.

Luckily we lived in the mountains and had a 1000 gallon propane tank that fed the house. Our tank could be heard rolling down the hillside (imagine a spray can with a hole in it spinning). If we had been on city gas there would have been many gas leaks that would need to be dealt with immediately. We now live in the city and I keep a gas cutoff tool outside near the gas valve.

After such a traumatic experience literally our whole neighborhood gathered in the street and sat there for hours riding out the aftershocks. People were literally terrified to go near any structure, especially back to the scene of where they experienced such terror.

Our mountain community was pretty close knit and is prob the reason why everyone was so friendly and helpful. There were no concerns of looting or violence. Within 3 hours the local school (CT English) had been setup as a shelter with food, water, cots.

I'm sure things would be a bit different now since I'm and adult, and we live in the city, but I wanted to share my first hand experience of being at the epicenter during the worse CA earthquake in 100 years.