Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-21-2019, 5:34 AM

Default USA Today Opinion - Pushing Mandatory Buybacks Will Hand Victory to the NRA, Again

The author of this opinion piece, appearing in this morning's USA Today posts is "a co-founder of Third Way, was director of communications for Americans for Gun Safety and sits on the Board of Directors of Sandy Hook Promise."

Gun control advocate: Pushing mandatory buybacks will hand victory to the NRA, again

Quote:
...As former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro and South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg noted in last week's debate, a mandatory buyback isn’t feasible policy. And it’s very bad politics for Democrats...

...What makes us think government authorities could handle locating and confiscating these rifles?...

...if it’s mandatory that a gun is turned over to the government, that is confiscation. That is not, as some have charged, an "NRA talking point." That is a fact.

Gun confiscation is the wrong battle for the gun violence prevention movement to fight. We are winning the gun debate for the first time in a quarter century...

...If we are smart and strategic, and have a new president who is not under the control of the NRA, we can make background checks universal... We can get federal law behind Extreme Risk Protective Orders... we could even ban the sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines...
As I said before, there appears to be an active public relations campaign, spawned by the Left's 'panic' that these candidates have let the proverbial cat out of the bag regarding confiscation. Up until this point, it has been something we've known is their ultimate goal; but, they thought that it could be obscured by their rhetoric. Now, it's out in the open and, as the article states...

Quote:
But we are in danger of forfeiting those gains if we change the subject. If we go beyond what we know will work and try to do things that strike voters (and an increasingly hostile Supreme Court) as too far, we will lose. And the NRA will win.
Change the subject or return to the rhetoric which they believe obfuscates what they are attempting to do?

We need to make sure that voters remember what, in a moment of 'honesty,' the anti-civil rights agenda has now admitted. Moms Demand Action can deny it. They can try to hide behind technological innovation. They can release PSA's. They can put 'moderate' Democrats out there to deny it.

They can have Booker push back against Buttigieg for doing the NRA's work for them by calling it confiscation, then have people such as this author push back, in part, against Booker. They can get Bernie to deny that he wants confiscation, just registration. They can get Biden to flip-flop. But, Alan Gottlieb was right...

Quote:
“This is what their goal is. We’ve always said it, now they’re saying it,” said Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation, based in Washington state. “Now they’ve said it and we’re going to make them eat it.”
They're running scared and trying to 'change the subject,' denying the obvious, and attempting to put the genie back in the bottle. If nothing else, it's a competition to see who can make themselves appear more reasonable on firearms to a public which has now been overtly 'clued in.' It's turning into a scramble to see who or which organization can accomplish it.

We need to make sure that none of them can. The question is, how can we contribute to that besides just donating to the NRA/CRPA and talking among ourselves?

By the way, you gotta love the NRA survey showing just above the article...

Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 10-21-2019 at 5:37 AM..
Old 10-21-2019, 9:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Until the SCOTUS wakes up from it's slumber, we are facing government confiscation daily here with our red flag laws.

You don't need to "buy them back" when you can simply take them away for 5years.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Until the SCOTUS wakes up from it's slumber, we are facing government confiscation daily here with our red flag laws.

You don't need to "buy them back" when you can simply take them away for 5years.
^ and destroy them in the interim.
Old 10-21-2019, 1:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Even a busted clock is right at certain times...

The Dems got so full of themselves...they forgot what they were actually championing and what country they were in. Now, after they “polled” the positions they were advocating...they may have figured out that they got too far ahead of...well...the Constitution.

The majority of these weenies are too afraid to pull back, slow the rhetoric down...or, gee golly, speak out to say that they went too far.

They made their damn bed...they can go to sleep in it...forever.
Old 10-21-2019, 3:09 PM

The author is not wrong. If the anti-2A movement follows his advice, we are in for a world of hurt. Only of they win the White House.

BTW, there is no NRA poll for me. That is target marketing based on your cookies.
If I allowed the USA Today site to save a cookie and allowed their scripts to run, I would have seen a Macy's ad, as that was the last site I logged into. I clear my cookies after every session and I use script and tracking blockers.
Old 10-21-2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
The author is not wrong. If the anti-2A movement follows his advice, we are in for a world of hurt. Only of they win the White House.
Absolutely. But, that's why we need to take advantage of their vulnerabilities, both real and perceived. Right now, they clearly feel 'vulnerable' with the overt talk of confiscation in that, as has been suggested, it undermines their long-term efforts to make it happen 'in plain sight,' but without raising the specter. Thus, they are in the middle of a PR blitz to backpedal from themselves.

How can/do we take advantage of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68
BTW, there is no NRA poll for me. That is target marketing based on your cookies.
If I allowed the USA Today site to save a cookie and allowed their scripts to run, I would have seen a Macy's ad, as that was the last site I logged into. I clear my cookies after every session and I use script and tracking blockers.
You do realize that clearing your history/cookies after every session isn't a panacea - right? (I'm set up to do so.)

Script and tracking blockers work... up to a point. But, they can/do create their own issues at times.

In other words, I realize that not everyone will see the NRA Survey ad; which is why I included it in the OP. I just thought it was an interesting addendum to the story for those who do see it.
Old 10-21-2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonehorseman View Post
^ and destroy them in the interim.
SCOTUS can't rule on anything until they get a case in front of them.

SCOUTS won't rule on anything until they grant cert on what they consider to be the 'right' case.

Ultimately, we do need 'help' from SCOTUS. However, what do we do in the mean time?
Old 10-21-2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post
Even a busted clock is right at certain times...

The Dems got so full of themselves...they forgot what they were actually championing and what country they were in. Now, after they “polled” the positions they were advocating...they may have figured out that they got too far ahead of...well...the Constitution.
As I've observed with the NRA controversy, there are two, primary battlefields at issue - one legal, one PR. As we've seen, the legal battlefield isn't necessarily our bulwark of safety; particularly in the short term. There are rules, predictable timelines (and outcomes), etc. It's not that they've 'gotten far ahead of the Constitution.' It's that they have or are promoting a different understanding of the Constitution; one which runs contrary to history, tradition, precedent, et al. It's all summed up by the Reggie Jones-Sawyer statement...

The other battlefield, Public Relations, is more their immediate concern in this case. The key is that they've gotten ahead of ("jumped the gun on") public opinion. Even the 'best' of polls, not simply those 'favoring' their side, show the public does not favor confiscation. As an example, take a National Review article from September...

Quote:
A majority of Americans supports banning the future sale of assault-style rifles but is against a federal gun-confiscation program that would force current owners to forfeit such weapons, according to a new Monmouth University poll.

About 56 percent of respondents in the Monmouth poll supported banning assault-style weapons, while 38 percent opposed it. Only 43 percent of respondents supported a “mandatory buyback program,” in which the federal government would confiscate such weapons from current owners, while 53 percent of respondents opposed such a program...
It's why we have...
  • Biden flip-flopping on confiscation
  • Bernie denying that he wants confiscation; just registration which leads to confiscation
  • Manchin says that O'Rourke isn't confiscating his guns
  • Booker attacking Buttigieg for calling it confiscation
  • Buttigieg pushing back on O'Rourke over confiscation; specifically indicating that the 'problem' wasn't Democrats who don't agree with O'Rourke
  • Castro doesn't want to provide an 'excuse' (confiscation) for police to go door-to-door in 'certain communities'
  • Shannon Watts of Moms Demand Action denying that they are anti-gun, avoiding discussion of 'confiscation'
  • A former director of communications for Americans for Gun Safety and a member of the Board of Directors for Sandy Hook Promise acknowledging that 'mandatory buybacks' are confiscation, confiscation is not feasible policy, but that they have been promoting those things which lead to confiscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy
The majority of these weenies are too afraid to pull back, slow the rhetoric down...or, gee golly, speak out to say that they went too far.

They made their damn bed...they can go to sleep in it...forever.
That's the question... How can we help make sure that they do have to sleep in it or, in Gottlieb's phrasing, help make them...

Old 10-21-2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
Absolutely. But, that's why we need to take advantage of their vulnerabilities, both real and perceived. Right now, they clearly feel 'vulnerable' with the overt talk of confiscation in that, as has been suggested, it undermines their long-term efforts to make it happen 'in plain sight,' but without raising the specter. Thus, they are in the middle of a PR blitz to backpedal from themselves.

How can/do we take advantage of that?

You do realize that clearing your history/cookies after every session isn't a panacea - right? (I'm set up to do so.)

Script and tracking blockers work... up to a point. But, they can/do create their own issues at times.

In other words, I realize that not everyone will see the NRA Survey ad; which is why I included it in the OP. I just thought it was an interesting addendum to the story for those who do see it.
I also run VMs and delete them if I feel something is off and every so often. I keep the originals and fire up the copies from them.
Old 10-21-2019, 8:19 PM

Everything I type on my laptop, phone, and desktop is permanently logged with my company and I am sure their security periodically tries to hack me proactively. I just live with it. There is no privacy.
Despite my political leaning obviously not fitting here in California, I am reasonably sure they don’t care much.
Old 10-22-2019, 9:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

"Reasonable" is not in the Excremento dictionary.
Old 10-23-2019, 4:59 PM

The problem is they are going after the wrong people and the wrong peoples guns ,the dems have no understanding or common sense to see where a convicted felon gets there guns or ammo, The bottom line that they do not understand is no matter how many gun laws they make or try to enforce the criminals will do what ever they want, to say that legal gun owners with ak47 variants or ar15 variants make up majority of gun violence crime is absolute bs
Old 10-23-2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93chipper View Post
The problem is they are going after the wrong people and the wrong peoples guns ,the dems have no understanding or common sense to see where a convicted felon gets there guns or ammo, The bottom line that they do not understand is no matter how many gun laws they make or try to enforce the criminals will do what ever they want, to say that legal gun owners with ak47 variants or ar15 variants make up majority of gun violence crime is absolute bs
It's not that they don't understand. Well... At least those who are pushing and writing the legislation DO understand, all too well. The problem is that such... facts... don't embellish the narrative they need to push through to their goal and, in certain cases, work against other items which apply to the constituencies they are utilizing to gain/retain power.

At best, many of their supporters are either naïve to an extreme, afflicted with "we've got to do something/anything," or are misinformed, but don't care to listen. In many respects, they are the definition of what many claim Lenin referred to as "useful idiots." These are the people the Left preys upon in their quest for power. It's also why legislation and the PR which goes with it often sounds so idiotic, lacking in common sense, bereft of facts, etc. It's not appealing to rational thinking, but to emotion.
Old 10-23-2019, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Victory to the NRA? Surely they mean victory for freedom loving peoples of the earth.
Old 10-23-2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Victory to the NRA? Surely they mean victory for freedom loving peoples of the earth.
Hadn't you heard? The NRA is an organizational front for terrorists and the gun industry. It's not as if the NRA is made up of 4 - 6 million individuals who believe, to one degree or another, in the right to keep and bear arms.

I mean, it's been in all the papers.